Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...&TM=55837.6

Port Authority obtaining permits for dredging

By Kristin Miller
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - The Michigan City Port Authority has received two of three permits needed to dredge Washington Park Marina's north shore.

At Monday's Port Authority meeting, Harbormaster Tim Frame said permits have been granted by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources and Army Corps of Engineers. All that is needed now, he said, is a permit from the Indiana Department of Environmental Management.

Each department requires a permit for different reasons, Frame said. The Army Corps comes from a federal point of view, the DNR through state jurisdiction and IDEM with the project's environmental impact.

A project cost isn't known yet, but Frame said a dredging done last spring in Washington Park Marina's basin was completed at a cost of somewhere around $150,000.

Once the Army Corps arrives, dredging will take between two and three weeks. It will be done mechanically, the excess sand being removed with a backhoe.

"It's not that long or difficult," Frame said. "It's only about 1,000 feet long."

Board member Sam Johns said the board is trying to get permits for both the north shore and Trail Creek in time to finish dredging this season.

"I'd like to dredge both up here and Trail Creek this winter," Johns said.

Contact Kristin Miller at kmiller@thenewsdispatch.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Craig1971
post Oct 8 2008, 06:50 AM
Post #2

Getting Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 823

I want to know when they are going to fix this prob with the ramps and the sand filling in the northern part of the marina...our boat ramps are not useable and the city is losing money because of this.......Just a question

Signature Bar
Relax it is only a FISH
CO-Host of Mornings with Ric on am 1420 WIMS
Host of Into the outdoors Thursdays 7 to 9 pm on WIMS
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 8 2008, 10:30 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3

If they dredge now, will it be filled up again in March or April? Would it be better to dredge in March or ice-out?

MC is a Class 3 harbor, Recreational, not commercial, so it is at the bottom of the stack as far as priority goes with the Corps. I think Mr. Johns has requested its being changed to a Class 2 Commercial harbor, which ups the budget and priority level. The portion of Trail Creek to the E St. Bridge is contaminated from the Weber- and icehouse properties, so that constant job is always going to be more involved as far as IDEM goes.

Aren't you a captain, now, craig? How do these matters affect the fishing and chartering from MC?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Dave
post Oct 8 2008, 02:52 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

I just hope they don't dump the sludge on the beach again.
+Quote Post
usalimey
post Nov 8 2008, 11:01 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 846

Craig,,not sure but last week thought I saw an ad in ND asking for bids for concrete slab for a new ramp in the basin,, too bad they had to put the bathroom 5 feet too far north into the last ramp,,, what where they thinking?????when I first saw that I thought how pathetic...just my 2 cents
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 9 2008, 09:13 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 10

Welcome to the board usalimey.

Can I infer by your screen name that you are a transplanted Brit? And if so, may I ask what brought you to here?

I'm just curious why people move from/to the places that they do.

(ps: If anyone wants to know why I moved feel free to ask....)

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
usalimey
post Dec 4 2008, 05:19 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 846

QUOTE(Ang @ Nov 9 2008, 09:13 PM) *

Welcome to the board usalimey.

Can I infer by your screen name that you are a transplanted Brit? And if so, may I ask what brought you to here?

I'm just curious why people move from/to the places that they do.

(ps: If anyone wants to know why I moved feel free to ask....)

Thanks for the welcome!!!! yes you are correct I'm a transplant from the "ole country" came over here in 1969 graduated elston 72 went back to England for a year, then returned been here ever since cept for trips back,, but here to live now . Oh ,, what brought me here was my Dad moved here in 66 and I wanted to come here too ,,," yankee cars ,, comics etc........the rest is history.
I'm assuming you are a "transplant" too ,, whats your story?
btw sorry for the not so prompt reply
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 4 2008, 05:26 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 10

Actually, I left. I was born and raised in Michigan City, but three years ago I moved to Wyoming and now live in the wild, wild, west. But it really isn't so wild. Closer to dull and boring. laugh.gif

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:47 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com