Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another short sentence for big-time criminal
lighter
post May 9 2009, 09:07 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 912

http://nwi.com/articles/2009/05/09/news/po...5b10000703c.txt

LAPORTE | A LaPorte man facing as much as 200 years in prison for dealing cocaine submitted a guilty plea that calls for a reduced but still significant sentence.

Lamaris Edwards, 28, would be convicted of a felony charge of dealing cocaine under the plea bargain submitted Friday in LaPorte Circuit Court. The plea calls for a 20-year prison sentence followed by five years of probation that would be served upon his release.

According to court documents:

The 28-year-old Edwards was caught selling crack cocaine three times in July and once in August. On two occasions, police said buys were made from his home in the 300 block of D Street. The value of the cocaine exchanged varied from $50 to $150...

----

He'll be out in less than 10 years, I'm sure. And dealing again in less than 10 years, 2 weeks.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Michelle
post May 9 2009, 09:31 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 787

Hi, welcome to the board smile.gif
+Quote Post
Dave
post May 9 2009, 09:30 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

QUOTE(lighter @ May 9 2009, 10:07 AM) *

He'll be out in less than 10 years, I'm sure. And dealing again in less than 10 years, 2 weeks.

And your alternative would be what -- life in prison without parole? Or the death penalty for dealing cocaine? How about marijuana? Same penalty?

If we lock up drug offenders for life, what penalties do we have for violent criminals (and yes I know drug dealers and violent offenders have a certain amount of overlap)? I think if we start giving drug offenders life sentences, either we're going to have to have prisons everywhere, or have to make room for the drug offenders by letting violent criminals out.

Or we could go with the idea of using them as involuntary organ donors, but some folks seem to have issues with that.

+Quote Post
Ang
post May 10 2009, 01:03 AM
Post #4

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

Mandatory military service.... IN IRAQ

Either that or public flogging.

Seriously, though, I think that if we had more public flogging, there would be less crime. Just my opinion.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post May 10 2009, 08:11 AM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(lighter @ May 9 2009, 10:07 AM) *

http://nwi.com/articles/2009/05/09/news/po...5b10000703c.txt

LAPORTE | A LaPorte man facing as much as 200 years in prison for dealing cocaine submitted a guilty plea that calls for a reduced but still significant sentence.

Lamaris Edwards, 28, would be convicted of a felony charge of dealing cocaine under the plea bargain submitted Friday in LaPorte Circuit Court. The plea calls for a 20-year prison sentence followed by five years of probation that would be served upon his release.

According to court documents:

The 28-year-old Edwards was caught selling crack cocaine three times in July and once in August. On two occasions, police said buys were made from his home in the 300 block of D Street. The value of the cocaine exchanged varied from $50 to $150...
----

200 years for the sale of less than $1000 worth of cocaine. Compared to Jeff Skilling of ENRON and the loss of over $80 billion in pensions and stocks gets 15 years. Skilling will be out living comfortably......retired seniors will still be deciding between food or medicine.
+Quote Post
lighter
post May 21 2009, 02:08 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 912

QUOTE(Dave @ May 9 2009, 10:30 PM) *

And your alternative would be what -- life in prison without parole? Or the death penalty for dealing cocaine? How about marijuana? Same penalty?

If we lock up drug offenders for life, what penalties do we have for violent criminals (and yes I know drug dealers and violent offenders have a certain amount of overlap)? I think if we start giving drug offenders life sentences, either we're going to have to have prisons everywhere, or have to make room for the drug offenders by letting violent criminals out.

Or we could go with the idea of using them as involuntary organ donors, but some folks seem to have issues with that.

Dave,

Respectfully, this wasn't some 15-year-old selling pot to a buddy, or 55-year-old buying a 20-year-old Army vet a six pack. This was a 28-year-old who has, for lack of a better term, choosen his career field.

And crack is a much more worrisome drug. This dealer is among the ilk who has no problem selling hard, violent drugs like heroin.

Do you know the names Christina Harvey and Orma Leslie? They're dead because of accidental overdoses from heroin. Now, Lamaris Edwards probably didn't sell those drugs to those two, but it is dealers like him who did. And for that reason, Edwards needs a new lifestyle and 10 or 20 years in prison might be what is needed for him to figure out what that next career might be.

Just my opinion.
+Quote Post
Dave
post May 21 2009, 03:47 PM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

OK. But didn't he just get a 20 year prison sentence plus five years of probation? If that isn't enough, and you imply that it isn't in your first post, what would you suggest as an alternative?
+Quote Post
Tim
post May 21 2009, 07:16 PM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(Ang @ May 10 2009, 02:03 AM) *

Mandatory military service.... IN IRAQ

Either that or public flogging.

Seriously, though, I think that if we had more public flogging, there would be less crime. Just my opinion.

Public de-pantsing - that's whay I say!
+Quote Post
Tim
post May 21 2009, 07:19 PM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(lighter @ May 21 2009, 03:08 PM) *

Dave,

Respectfully, this wasn't some 15-year-old selling pot to a buddy, or 55-year-old buying a 20-year-old Army vet a six pack. This was a 28-year-old who has, for lack of a better term, choosen his career field.

Actually, a better term would have been "chosen".

Come on - guy got 20 years. What to you want, Judge Smails?
+Quote Post
Dave
post May 21 2009, 08:01 PM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Tim @ May 21 2009, 08:19 PM) *

Actually, a better term would have been "chosen".

Come on - guy got 20 years. What to you want, Judge Smails?

[Smails] I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them.[/Smails]
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post May 21 2009, 08:13 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 756

QUOTE(Dave @ May 21 2009, 09:01 PM) *

[Smails] I've sentenced boys younger than you to the gas chamber. Didn't want to do it. I felt I owed it to them.[/Smails]

"Lamaris...are you my pal...? How 'bout a Fresca?"

Signature Bar
"If a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." - Duke of Edinburgh.
+Quote Post
Tim
post May 21 2009, 08:22 PM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(CaddyRich @ May 21 2009, 09:13 PM) *

"Lamaris...are you my pal...? How 'bout a Fresca?"

Judge Smails: Do you stand for *goodness*, or - for *badness*?

laugh.gif
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post May 21 2009, 08:27 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 756

QUOTE(Dave @ May 21 2009, 04:47 PM) *

OK. But didn't he just get a 20 year prison sentence plus five years of probation? If that isn't enough, and you imply that it isn't in your first post, what would you suggest as an alternative?

Mrs. Smails - "Will you come here and loofah my stretch marks...?"

Signature Bar
"If a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." - Duke of Edinburgh.
+Quote Post
Tim
post May 21 2009, 09:33 PM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(CaddyRich @ May 21 2009, 09:27 PM) *

Mrs. Smails - "Will you come here and loofah my stretch marks...?"

Judge Smails: It's easy to grin / When your ship comes in / And you've got the stock market beat. / But the man worthwhile, / Is the man who can smile, / When his shorts are too tight in the seat.
+Quote Post
lbl
post May 22 2009, 08:52 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 862

QUOTE(Tim @ May 21 2009, 10:33 PM) *

Judge Smails: It's easy to grin / When your ship comes in / And you've got the stock market beat. / But the man worthwhile, / Is the man who can smile, / When his shorts are too tight in the seat.

Smails: Go ahead , Pookie! Christen the sloop!

Mrs. Smails: I christen the, The Flying Wasp!

Trivia...Smails's first name? (Don't look it up!)

Signature Bar
Buy Local!
Eat at Locally OWNED restaurants!
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 02:17 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com