Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=41334.84

Keep In Mind, It's Early
Home Cookin'

Adam Parkhouse
Sports Editor, The News-Dispatch

Two games into the season, Michigan City's boys basketball is 2-0. Good times.

So, what have we learned so far? Well, not much, actually.

With respect to Marquette and Portage, I wouldn't label either of these first two opponents as world-beaters. Marquette is a good Class A team, and Portage is very possibly headed for a last-place finish in the Duneland Conference.

While Friday's win was one on the road in the DAC and therefore a good win, I think some problems were evident. First, City was outrebounded by a team that doesn't have a player on its roster taller than 6-2.

It's very early in the season, but that's a bit distressing.

Also, the free throw shooting was not good, as City was just 13-of-26 from the charity stripe, the kind of thing that usually does you in during a close game. Of course, Portage was 13-of-27, so that helped.

Lastly, City's half-court offense looks a tad inconsistent. At times, when the ball is moving crisply around the perimeter, the Wolves look good in half-court sets. But sometimes things get bogged down a bit and turnovers happen.

Again, it's early. None of this is panic-worthy, just a few observations.

But something did happen after the game that's particularly noteworthy. It occurred during my postgame interview with coach John Boyd.

We talked about how City had started to blow the game open in the third quarter before Portage rallied to make the game tight the rest of the way.

"That was my fault," Boyd immediately quipped. He went on to admit that he's looking for the right combinations of players and even doing some on-court chemistry experiments.

There's a positive spin to his comments which I'll get to in a moment. But it speaks to what I believe is the biggest issue with this team as it is currently constructed. Through a couple preseason scrimmages and now two regular season games, I honestly can't tell you who are City's best five players.

Who's in the group that you want to see on the floor in the fourth quarter of a tight game? Which five are gonna be responsible for closing out games?

Prior to the season, I thought City's depth was a good thing. And, while it's a good problem to have, the Wolves have a solid 10 players that could all make claims to being on the court at crucial times.

I think having that many cooks in the kitchen isn't always a good thing, but again, there are worse problems to have.

If pressed, I'd say you should expect to see Alajowon Edwards, Adam Harmon and Shereff Knight on the court when it counts most.

Past that, it's probably a hot-hand deal -- Whoever's playing the best that night, gets on the floor.

But I liked to hear Boyd take some accountability by admitting Portage's comeback might have been his fault. Now, he's not the one that left Portage players open for 3-point attempts and Boyd didn't miss a single shot during the stretch.

But he's the coach, and ultimately he believes that whatever happens - good or bad - rests largely at his feet.

A coach who's accountable for what goes on with his team? Well, that's not such a bad problem to have, either.

Contact Sports Editor Adam Parkhouse at aparkhouse@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 461.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 10 2009, 09:21 AM
Post #22

I will say this now, I would be shocked if City scores 70 on Friday night.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20...980/1001/Sports

Michigan City (2-0, 1-0) at Chesterton (1-2, 0-1): The Wolves go for a third straight win under first-year coach John Boyd in this DAC attraction in Porter County. Matt’s pick: Michigan City 70, Chesterton 67.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 11 2009, 10:10 PM
Post #23

Wolves lose their first game of the year 60-47 in Chesterton. City gave a good effort, but didn't have an answer for Mitch MCGary, who is going to be a big time college player at least. The kid put up 27 points, 20 rebounds and 5 blocks for the Trojans. Wolves got down early, but stuck around and tried to make a game of it at the end. Adam Harmon had his best of the year with 22 points, including 4 three pointers.

Tune in tomorrow night to hear myself and John Landecker call the game from Rolling Prairie against the Cougars.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 14 2009, 10:39 AM
Post #24

http://heraldargus.com/articles/2009/12/13...f2655484618.txt

Cougars’ cold shooting allows Wolves an easy win

By Ken Peterson
For The Herald-Argus
Published: Sunday, December 13, 2009 10:31 PM CST
NEW CARLISLE — The feeling of how Saturday night’s New Prairie-Michigan City boys basketball game went depended on what bench you were sitting on.

One coach thought his team played excellent defense while the other thought easy missed shots led to his team’s downfall.

Michigan City (3-1) held New Prairie (1-4) to 12-of-33 shooting from the field and took advantage of its scoring opportunites in a 52-38 win Saturday night in the nightcap of a boys-girls doubleheader at Cougar Gym.

Adam Harmon scored 14 points and Taylor Lavery added 12 for coach John Boyd’s Wolves, who bounced back from Friday night’s Duneland Conference loss to Chesterton to pick up a road win against a county rival.

“Our schedule is a tough schedule because of the environments that we play in,” Boyd said. “A lot of noise, a lot of crowd. Our guys are a young team. We’re learning. Some of these wins are very ugly. Taylor Lavery has been abysmal shooting it but he opened it up for us. And we thought he could open some space between us and other teams if he got on.”

It was his team’s defense that left Boyd the most pleased.

“It’s a great win,” he said. “As a coach, it was a great win. At no time were we in any trouble of losing this game. That’s a well-coached team and their coach had them do exactly what he wanted them to do. That’s a game we’re supposed to win and you don’t want to have any miscues.”

It was the defense, which Boyd described as a “freaky” zone defense that got the job done.

“It changes and it can look like a lot of different things,” he said. “Hopefully, we can keep that in our trick bag and we will be able to build on it.”

New Prairie coach Chad Cripe had a much different view of his team’s shooting woes.

“Honestly, I think we got all of the looks that we wanted,” Cripe said. “We were 3-for-13 (from the field) with 13 shots inside the post in the first half. Two-footers, three-footers. I don’t think it was their defense and that is no disrespect to Michigan City. They played hard and they did a great job. I think we got the looks that we wanted to get.”

Throw in a 9-of-25 showing from the free-throw line and it added up to a very frustrating night for the third-year head coach.

“We haven’t shot the ball well from the free-throw line all season,” Cripe said.

The opening quarter was a battle of wills as both teams opened up with zone defenses. Harmon was the Wolves answer in the opening quarter as he accounted for all 10 of their first-quarter points.

The Cougars struggled to establish offense against the Wolves and didn’t score their first bucket until Kyle Brammer hammered one in with 2:10 left in the first quarter.

City began to slowly pull away in the second quarter, holding New Prairie without a field goal for 6:22 of the period until Kyle Albertson scored. By then, the Woves held a 21-6 lead.

The Wolves lead reached 23 early in the third quarter, but the Cougars slowly chipped away and at one point in the fourth quarter cut the lead to 10. But that’s as close as the Cougars would get.

Still, Boyd saw room for improvement.

“We had unforced turnovers and that can’t happen,” he said. “I am going to be a critic of that and it’s good to have a win after a tough loss and I am pleased with them.”

Caleb Johnson had 10 points and Albertson nine to lead New Prairie.

Cripe was proud of his team’s effort and knows things won’t get easier when Triton pays a visit this Friday.

“We cut it to 10 and with the ball,” he said. “But we just can’t get over that hump. The two easiest ways to lose a basketball game are to miss your free throws and miss your layups. When you look at the stats, you’d have to think that these guys lost by 40. We didn’t. But at the same time we’ve got to make plays down the stretch and execute. Costly turnovers have hurt. We’ll go back and we’re going to coach harder and the kids are ready to work hard. Those are the type of kids that they are and we’ll keep hitting it.”

MICHIGAN CITY 52, NEW PRAIRIE 38

MICHIGAN CITY (3-1)

Bellamy 0-0 0-0 0, Byrnes 0-0 0-0 0, Clay 0-0 5-6 5, Edwards 1-1 2-4 4, Harmon 4-9 3-4 14, Knight 0-2 3-5 3, Lavery 4-5 1-2 12, Patrick 0-0 0-0 0, Sanders 1-1 2-2 4, Taylor 1-1 0-0 2, J. Washington 3-3 0-0 6, R. Washington 0-0 0-0 0, McCormick 0-3 2-2 2. Totals 14-25 18-25 52.

NEW PRAIRIE (1-4)

Johnson 3-12 2-4 10, Jacobs 0-1 0-2 0, Albertson 3-5 2-3 9, Swain 1-2 0-0 2, Wagner 2-4 2-2 7, Stainko 1-2 2-10 4, Ruiz 0-1 0-0 0, Klein 0-0 0-0 0, Brammer 1-3 0-0 2, Rehlander 1-3 1-4 4. Totals 12-33 9-25 38.

Michigan City 10 13 12 17 — 52

New Prairie 3 6 8 21 — 38

3-point shooting: Michigan City 6-12 (Harmon 3-6, Lavery 3-4, McCormick 0-1, Sanders 0-1), New Prairie 5-13 (Johnson 2-5, Rehlander 1-2, Wagner 1-2, Albertson 1-2, Ruiz 0-1, Swain 0-1). Total fouls — New Prairie 16, Michigan City 20.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 14 2009, 10:43 AM
Post #25

A big loss for Chesteron. The kid was tough enough to keep playing through the injury.

http://nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/ind...e0c1331aa8.html

Chesterton's McGary out with broken bone in foot

Highly recruited center out with broken bone in right foot

* Story
* Discussion

By Jim Peters - jim.peters@nwi.com, (219) 548-4363 | Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 12:00 am | No Comments Posted

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Chesterton junior Mitch McGary broke the fourth metatarsal in his right foot late in Friday's game against Michigan City and will be out a minimum of four weeks.

"Nobody ran into it. He just came down awkwardly on a rebound," Trojans coach Tom Peller said Saturday. "He turned it and said he felt something pop."

The 6-foot-10 center came to Saturday morning practice in a boot after an X-ray confirmed the injury.

"We talked to the trainer, and we're looking at the middle or end of January, best-case scenario," Peller said. "Obviously, we've got to let this heal and not damage anything."

McGary scored a career-high 27 points Friday and has had double-doubles in all four games for Chesterton (2-2).

"He's the heart and soul," Peller said. "We're not going to whine and feel sorry for ourselves. This is an opportunity for some other guys to show what they can do and we'll be a better team when Mitch gets back."

Zach Rochowiak will move into the starting lineup for Chesterton with Alec Houpt shifting over to center. Chesterton will get junior forward Jon Watson back for Friday's game against Portage. Watson has been out with a concussion, which, coincidentally, he sustained during a practice collision with McGary.

The Trojans are at Lake Central on Tuesday, a game Purdue coach Matt Painter was expected to attend. Purdue offered a scholarship to McGary, ranked 134th nationally among juniors by Rivals.com, last season.

"Mitch is OK," Peller said. "He knows he'll be back. He just feels bad for the team."

BOYS BASKETBALL
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 14 2009, 10:49 AM
Post #26

http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20...986/1001/Sports

Michigan City (3-1, 1-1) at Merrillville (4-0, 2-0): The Wolves hit the road to challenge the Pirates, who are tied with Valparaiso atop the Duneland standings ... Saturday’s win at New Prairie was No. 150 in the career of City coach John Boyd. Matt’s pick: Merrillville 70, Michigan City 62.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 16 2009, 10:28 AM
Post #27

The Wolves gave the Merrillville Pirates all they could handle last night from the Pirates Cove. The Pirates won 63-55, but the Wolves had gotten to within 2 in the late 4th quarter. The Wolves were plagued with foul trouble, and led by Carlos McCormick's 17 points. I honestly think it was their best game of the season against an undefeated team who has already beaten Chesterton on the road, and beaten LaPorte after trailing by as many as 18 points.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 16 2009, 02:09 PM
Post #28

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=27680

FOUL TROUBLE SEALS WOLVES' FATE
Merrillville 63, Michigan City 55

By Drew White
For The News-Dispatch

MERRILLVILLE - In many ways, Michigan City head coach John Boyd's philosophy of aggressive basketball kept Michigan City in Friday night's game at Merrillville.

But when that aggressiveness results in foul trouble, something's gotta give and Michigan City lost on the road to the Pirates, 63-55.

Halfway through the second quarter, the Wolves saw two main components, guard Adam Harmon and center Grady Byrnes crippled by three fouls apiece, forcing Boyd to keep two main weapons on the bench for a majority of the second quarter.

"It makes you play the game differently," said Boyd of Michigan City's foul trouble. "We have a lot of weapons but when you get into that kind of trouble, it can hurt."

The Wolves' brightest spot was the emergence of Carlos McCormick's perimeter game as the sophomore connected on six three-pointers and led the Wolves with a game-high 20 points. McCormick's defensive pressure also led to several Merrillville forced shots.

"Where did (McCormick) come from?" asked Merrillville head coach Jim East. "I watched tapes of Michigan City and I didn't see him.

"To hit six three-pointers, for some of our guys, that's a career."

After trailing by seven at the end of three quarters, Michigan City clamped down on defense and made their free throws down the stretch, allowing them to claw their way to within two points with about three minutes left in the fourth quarter.

"We learned that we are players in the Duneland Conference, We never lost faith," said Boyd of his team's tenacity. "We want to grow and we're growing.

Wolves' center Byrnes continued to show improvement in his game, developing a low post presence and dealing with Merrillville's 6-8 Edward Seay and 6-4 Tokumbo Fashawe.

"Grady is going to be a tremendous player for us," said Boyd. "Come tournament time, he is going to be a big part of our attack."

After dropping their past two games on the road, Michigan City (3-2, 1-2 DAC) will return home to face Crown Point on Friday. The Wolves managed to win only one of their three straight Duneland Conference road games. Wins over Portage and non-DAC New Prairie gave the Wolves a 2-3 "road-trip" but Boyd says he is excited to return home to the Wolves Den.

"Tonight, we were a young team going up against a Duneland Conference juggernaut on the road," said Boyd. "The environments make it tough."

With the win Merrillville improves to 5-0 overall and 3-0 in the Duneland Conference. They will travel to Lake Central on Friday night.

"We're fortunate to be 5-0," said Merrillville's East. "Tonight was a typical Duneland Conference game. Michigan City played a physical game and our kids have to realize that is how this conference plays."
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 16 2009, 02:11 PM
Post #29

http://www.post-trib.com/sports/highschool...er-1216.article

MERRILLVILLE -- Both times, Brandon Clark was on the front end of the lob.

First, Jeremiah Jones threw down a dunk to complete the alley-oop.
RELATED STORIES
Photos: Merrillville vs. Michigan City

Next, Christian Matthews did the honors, also drawing oohs and aahs.

Those two were among the more aesthetically pleasing plays in an otherwise rugged game on Tuesday night, a 63-55 victory for Merrillville over Michigan City.

"Not pretty, not pretty," Pirates coach Jim East said. "But I didn't expect the game to be pretty. I think the philosophy of Michigan City is to play as aggressive as they can, put a lot of pressure on the ball, make body contact, there's only so many fouls you're going to call. It certainly disrupted us."

Still, Merrillville (5-0, 3-0 Duneland Conference) had enough to withstand Michigan City (3-2, 1-2).

After the Pirates led by 10 points late in the third quarter and still by eight early in the fourth, the Wolves used an 8-2 run to draw to 49-47 with 4:12 left in the game. But Merrillville pulled away, leading by as many as 13 points in the final minutes.

"We're a young team, we're still growing, you're going up against a Duneland juggernaut and that's Merrillville," Michigan City coach John Boyd said.

"You want to judge yourself, and I think we can play with them. We're never out of a game. Basketball's a game of runs. Michigan City's never going to quit."

The Pirates closed out the game with Clark on the bench, as he sat out the final 6:11 apparently with a cut on his arm. LaQuon Clark did well running the point in his absence, handling the Wolves' pressure, also going 6-of-6 from the foul line in the fourth quarter. Jones scored nine of his team-high 18 points in the fourth.

Michigan City dealt with foul trouble to starters Alajowon Edwards, Reggie Clay and Adam Harmon, with the latter two eventually fouling out.

"Major impact," Boyd said. "It makes you play the game differently. ... But all credit out to Merrillville. They have athletes."

Carlos McCormick was on fire off the bench for the Wolves, hitting six 3-pointers on his way to a game-high 20 points.

East said Michigan City on tape struggled shooting from the perimeter, but the Pirates had issues containing the Wolves drive-and-kick offense on Tuesday.

"Twenty-one (McCormick) -- where's he been?" East said.

Tokumbo Fashawe had a strong game inside for Merrillville with 13 points. Matthews added 11.

The Pirates missed their first six shots of the game, as the Wolves led 4-0 and 6-2, before Merrillville took a lead it would not relinquish at 7-6 on Jones' 3-pointer.

The Pirates went on an 11-3 run, capped by Jones' nifty pull-up jumper, to take a 38-28 lead with 3:29 left in the third quarter. But on two occasions in the fourth, the Wolves closed to two points, before succumbing.

"Typical DAC," East said. "They've done a nice job rallying around him (Boyd). Next time, our kids have to understand how to be better mentally prepared to play a game against an aggressive team. Normally we've been the aggressor; tonight, give them credit, because they were the more aggressive team."
Pirates' East says it was 'not pretty' in tough DAC victory
over Wolves
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 17 2009, 12:22 PM
Post #30

http://www.southbendtribune.com/article/20...980/1001/Sports

Crown Point (2-3, 0-3) at Michigan City (3-2, 1-2): The Wolves play host to another Duneland Conference rival as part of a girls-boys doubleheader ... City sophomore Taylor Lavery scored a career-high 12 points against New Prairie. Matt’s pick: Michigan City 64, Crown Point 57.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 18 2009, 10:01 PM
Post #31

The Wolves win again! They improved to 4-2 on the season with a 53-47 victory over Crown Point. They also evened their mark in the conference to 2-2. They were led tonight by Olajuwon Edwards who had 21 points and 11 rebounds in a very solid effort. Again the defense of the Wolves was the key as they created a lot of turnover, and didn't give up many easy shots for the Bulldogs. The Wolves also had a much better night at the free throw line, which ended up keeping them in the lead late in the game. Tuesday the Wolves travel to LaPorte who got blown out at home in the second half by the Joe Otis led Valpo team, who is really making a big statement to be considered the favorites in the Duneland at this point.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 23 2009, 08:37 AM
Post #32

Unfortunately for the Wolves, they had a rough night last night. The first half wasn't too bad, they had missed chances, and trailed by 8. After that the foul situation and the free throw line ended up being the Wolves ultimate enemy. In a tough, physical contest, the Wolves were whistled for 32 fouls, which led to 37 LaPorte free throw attempts, of which they hit 30. In the pivotal 3rd quarter, nothing would fall for City as they were 2-18 from the floor. Taylor Lavery was one of the bright spots, netting 15 points as his three point shot came to life. Final score was 74-57.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 1 2010, 11:18 PM
Post #33

Wolves win their prime time match up against Gary West Side 52-49 played at the Valpo University campus. The Wolves were the finale game of the 11th annual Region Roundball Rumble, and they did not disappoint. After getting off to as big as an 11 point lead in the first quarter, the Cougars rallied in the second quarter behind some deadly three point shooting. The rest of the game ended up being a back and forth affair which the Wolves closed out with some solid free throw shooting down the stretch. Alajowon Edwards led the way early with 11 first half points, plus two big free throws in the last minute of the game. Reggie Clay also had a big night getting to the rim seemingly at will against the West Side defenders. He finished with 12 points, almost all in the second half. Carlos McCormick continued his improved outside shooting with 3 three pointers, and a total of 10 points. The Wolves improve to 5-3 on the season, while the Cougars fell to 4-4.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 2 2010, 10:03 AM
Post #34

http://www.post-trib.com/sports/highschool...0102.highschool

Wolves, Boyd top West Side
January 2, 2010BY AARON PINEDA, POST-TRIBUNE CORRESPONDENT

VALPARAISO -- The most highly anticipated matchup of the season pitting Michigan City (5-3) and coach John Boyd against his former team West Side (4-4) was everything it was expected to be and more.

The contest came down to one last desperation shot from Cougars' guard Marquis Wells, but instead of stunning his former coach with a game-winner, the ball skimmed off the edge of the rim giving Boyd and the Wolves a 52-49 victory.

Wells finished with a trio of 3-pointers for nine points against his former coach.

The Wolves jumped out to a 17-7 first quarter lead behind former Cougar Alajowon Edwards' nine first quarter points; Edwards would finish with a team-high 14 points and nine rebounds. They shot a sizzling 7 of 13 from the field while holding the Cougars to just 2 of 11 shooting.

After falling back by 10, the Cougars came roaring back as Jovon Pullen got hot. The junior forward scored nine of his game-high 14 points in that quarter which saw them grab a 29-28 lead heading into halftime.

Both teams struggled out of the half, with the Cougars outscoring the Wolves 8-6 in the third quarter on 3-11 shooting while the Wolves were 2-13 from the field.

The fourth quarter would be a different scenario, as another former Cougar took over and closed it out.

Reggie Clay, who finished with 12 points, five rebounds and three steals, shined against his former teammates with eight big points in the fourth quarter.

Carlos McCormick was the only other Wolves player in double figures with 10 points.

Evory Seals had 10 points and three rebounds for the Cougars, while Michael Fabiyi chipped in six points and five rebounds.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 2 2010, 12:56 PM
Post #35

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=27986

WOLVES HOLD OFF WEST SIDE; BOYD BESTS FORMER TEAM
Boys Basketball: Michigan City 52, Gary West Side 49

Adam Parkhouse
Staff Writer

VALPARAISO, Ind. - John Boyd admitted it wasn't easy to face his former school, the one he guided to a Class 4A State Championship.

In the end, a couple of his former Gary West Side players helped make the end result easier to swallow.

Alajowon Edwards had 13 points and seven rebounds and Reggie Clay scored eight of his 12 points in the fourth to help their current beat their former team 52-49 in the nightcap of Friday's The Times Region Roundball Rumble at

Valparaiso University's Athletics-Recreation Center.

"It was a difference of emotions," Boyd said. "I've obviously never been through anything like that."

Boyd said the reactions to him being on the Wolves sideline varied on the Cougars bench.

"A couple of them said, 'Good job, coach,' and a couple others didn't want to look at me," Boyd said. "A couple might have even had some animosity, but I'm not upset with them."

City (5-3) got off to a great start. West Side had a 6-5 lead before a Carlos McCormick 3-pointer from the corner started a 12-0 City run, which included seven points from Edwards.

The Wolves took a 17-7 lead into the second quarter, but the Cougars (4-4) started getting points in bunches. Jovon Pullen had two three-point plays and even knocked down a traditional 3-pointer, one of four West Side treys in the quarter. By halftime, West Side had erased what was once an 11-point deficit and actually led by one, 29-28.

After an ugly third quarter that saw both teams combine to shoot 5-of-23 from the field, West Side carried a three-point lead into the final eight minutes of play.

McCormick made two 3-pointers in a 45-second span to push City's lead out to 44-39. However, the Cougars clawed back to make it 44-44, before Clay made good on back-to-back layups to give the Wolves a 48-44 advantage.

Again, West Side was able to tie the game, but the former West Side players made sure the "W" stayed on City's side of the court.

Clay made two free throws with 1:06 left and Edwards made a pair to seal City's win.

West Side did have an opportunity to tie it late, but an out-of-whack offensive sequence saw Marquis Wells' long 3-pointer at the buzzer fall harmlessly to the ground, giving City yet another close victory.

"We're still trying to find an identity and a solid lineup, but the kids fought," Boyd said. "Especially when you have so many young kids, building pride and confidence is important."

Despite having many friends on the other bench, Edwards said he treated this game like any other.

"It was just another game to us," Edwards said of the players' perspective on the game. "It was like playing on the playground."

Boyd thought Edwards' state of mind about the reunion was appropriate.

"A lot of people made a big deal about it, but that's an opponent," Boyd said of West Side. "Anybody not wearing the blue and gray, you have to treat them like they're an opponent.

"I was watching (West Side) warm up and I got a little soft because I've been a father figure to a lot of those kids. Now I have a new family, and I love them."

Contact Sports Editor Adam Parkhouse at aparkhouse@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 461.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 4 2010, 10:08 AM
Post #36

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=27992

Wolves get battle tested
Adam Parkhouse
Sports Editor, The News-Dispatch

In its first "toss-up" game of the season, Michigan City's boys basketball team made a nice statement.

In what was heavily billed as a game between coach John Boyd's new team and his former one, City gutted out a gritty, 52-49 win over Gary West Side on Friday in The Times Region Roundball Rumble at Valparaiso University's Athletics-Recreation Center.

All the stuff with Boyd facing his alma mater and team that he guided to a state championship was a worthy storyline. But ultimately, that story died when the final buzzer sounded.

What will live on, though, is City winning a game it wasn't necessarily supposed to win. Not to say the Wolves would have been big underdogs, but in the team's previous seven games, there was a clear favorite and underdog.

City beat Marquette and Crown Point at the Wolves Den and won at Portage and at New Prairie. Those are games City would have been expected to win based on where the game was played, records, common opponents and overall talent level.

However, City lost at Chesterton, at Merrillville and at La Porte, three opponents that were favorites and went on to win by an average of 12.7 points per game.

But Friday was an opportunity for City to make a statement, and the Wolves did it in the fasion that has become their custon to this point in the season: tough defense and just enough offense when needed.

I don't think it's a stretch to say City isn't a good offensive team right now. Boyd basically has said as much, but also intimates that by sectional the team will have a more obvious offensive identity.

In the meantime, City's defense appears good enough to win games. In the Wolves' five wins, they're allowing just 46.8 points per game and have only allowed more than 50 once, an overtime win at Portage.

City might not be the biggest team around, but Boyd and his staff have found a way to make that work to the team's advantage. Pesky, quick guards with hands that are as bothersome as a swarm of mosquitoes in a Florida swamp have given opposing teams fits.

On defense, the team creates a lot of loose ball situations and hustles to get to it before anyone else.

While the Wolves continue to improve offensively, the defense is keeping City's record respectable.

But at some point, the Wolves are gonna have to score. In eight games, they've landed in the 50s six times and made one appearance each in the 40s and 60s.

City's season high in points is 61. Three teams in the Duneland Conference average more points than that and no DAC squad has a lower season high.

To me, though, the best part of the 5-3 start has been the wins ove rPortage, Crown Point and Gary West Side. The Wolves won those game by an average of 3.7 points per game, and believe me, winning games like that is absolutely crucial to postseason success.

Teams that advance in the postseason frequently talk about being battle tested. Well, this is how you get to say that, by winning the close games and the "tossup" games against tough opponents.

Of course, in the DAC things never get any easier. This upcoming week is probably's City's toughest of the season with home games against Lake Central (4-3, 3-2 DAC) on Tuesday and Class 4A No. 4 Valparaiso (8-0, 5-0 DAC) on Friday. After that, it's a third consecutive home date Jan. 15 with Chesterton (3-4, 2-3 DAC).

It's what we call a season-defining stretch of games. Based on what we've seen so far, I think Boyd's boys are equipped to handle it.

Contact Sports Editor Adam Parkhouse at aparkhouse@thenewsdispatch.com at aparkhouse@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 461.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 6 2010, 07:23 AM
Post #37

Last night the Wolves dropped a close one 54-50 at the Wolves Den. City trailed by 10 points with about 1:45 to go in the third when the defense took over and go them back into the game. Senior Adam Harmon tied the game with a three pointer in the final seconds of regulation to tie the game at 47-47. The overtime period saw the Lake Central Indians do a good job of hitting their free throws, and then won the OT 7-3 to take this ball game. Turnovers and shot selection ended up being the biggest enemies of City in this one. The Wolves fall to 5-4 on the season and 2-4 in the Duneland. Lake Central improved to 5-3, 4-2 in the Duneland. City plays #3 state rated Valpo Friday night at the Wolves Den. Be there.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 6 2010, 02:26 PM
Post #38

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=28029

OT HEARTBREAKER
Lake Central 54, Michigan City 50, OT

Adam Parkhouse
Staff Writer

MICHIGAN CITY - John Boyd wanted this one.

And despite not leading for almost the entire game, he almost got it.

But the mistakes piled up and Michigan City simply couldn't overcome them in a 54-50 overtime loss to Lake Central on Tuesday at the Wolves Den.

"Too many mental mistakes," Boyd said. "We're still just a young team trying to find an identity."

City (5-4, 2-4 Duneland) trailed early and throughout almost the entire game. In fact, City trailed 35-25 with 1:49 to go in the third quarter before starting its comeback.

A three-point play from junior Alajowon Edwards (20 points, 10 rebounds) cut the lead to one and then senior Adam Harmon (16 points) turned a steal into an uncontested layup and City had its first lead of the game at 37-36 with 5:35 to play.

That lead was short-lived however, as Lake Central (5-3, 4-2 DAC) quickly got the lead back, though it stayed nip and tuck the rest of the way.

But with 11.9 seconds left in regulation, the Indians' Leith Hobbs made good on a pair of free throws to push his team's lead out to 47-44.

City got the ball to halfcourt and called a timeout, drawing up a play from a 3-pointer. Harmon took the inbound, walked to the top of the key and - with a defender in his face - drained the miracle trey with just seconds remaining. Loai Issa's desperation heave for Lake Central was too strong, and the game went to overtime.

With 1:18 to play in OT, City got it's second lead of the game when Edwards - who was 8-for-8 from the charity stripe for the game - made a pair of freebies for a 49-48 City lead.

But that lead was again short-lived as Hobbs converted an old-fashioned three-point play to give the Indians a 51-49 lead.

Trailing 52-50, City did get a chance at the tie or win, but Harmon's 3-pointer from the wing was off the mark. Hobbs got the rebound and made both free throws to seal the victory.

"At the end of the game, it just comes down to situational basketball," Boyd said, "like Adam taking that 3(-pointer) when we only needed two."

The loss puts City in a precarious position as the first half of the DAC season wraps up Friday against Class 4A No. 3 Valparaiso, a 61-58 winner over Merrillville on Tuesday in an early-season showdown for conference supremacy.

"This is a tough loss with Valpo and Chesterton coming up," Boyd said.

"But it was good to see them fight and continue to believe."

Notes: City won the junior varsity game 31-28 after closing the game on a 15-0 run. ... Lake Central's Glenn Robinson Jr., the son of former Purdue and Milwaukee Bucks star Glenn Robinson, finished with seven points on 0-for-6 shooting and 7-of-10 at the foul line. ... Freshman A'seante Clark saw his first action of the season after playing all year with the freshman team. He banked in a 3-pointer in the third quarter for his only three points of the night.

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 7 2010, 08:09 AM
Post #39

A quick note on the Valpo vs Michigan City basketball game Friday night, if school gets canceled on Friday, the basketball game is automatically canceled as well.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 8 2010, 09:37 AM
Post #40

All sporting events for today have been canceled, including City Vs Valpo in basketball tonight.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:21 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com