Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2009-10 MCHS boys basketball thread
Southsider2k12
post Feb 6 2010, 09:44 PM
Post #61

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

The boys team sweeps on the home court this weekend with a 51-37 win over South Bend Adams. Adams who had beaten a great East Chicago team last night, looked to have some of the same magic going early in the Wolves Den as they jumped out to a quick 13-4 lead. After that it was all Wolves City scored the next 12 points to go in front 16-13, and they never trailed again. Eventually the run ended up being 22-2 before the Eagles could get back on track, but by then it was too late. City led by as many as 16 points and were never really seriously threatened again. Balance was again the key word of the night for MC as they had three players with eight points (Harmon, McCormick, and Edwards) plus three more with 6 points each (Clay, Washington, and Lavery). City's next game is their last of the year at home, with Portage coming to call on Senior night on Thursday the 11th.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 6 2010, 09:48 PM
Post #62

Forgot to add, Michigan City now 9-7 on the season. One more win makes them a .500 team for the regular season.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Feb 7 2010, 11:38 AM
Post #63

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Feb 6 2010, 09:48 PM) *

Forgot to add, Michigan City now 9-7 on the season. One more win makes them a .500 team for the regular season.

It was a Michigan City grand slam weekend for all the Wolves basketball teams over their cross-county rivals. The boys and girls varsity teams defeated the Slicers on Friday night, both boys and girls JV squads were winners over La Porte on Thursday night. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
ksmi55_08
post Feb 11 2010, 05:34 AM
Post #64

Member No.: 995

always great to beat the Slicers!!!!!!!!!!! GO WOLVES
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 11 2010, 09:03 AM
Post #65

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...a1797870953.txt

City looking at a .500 season

City’s Adam Harmon drives past South Bend Adams’ Chris Hoffman on Saturday at the Wolves Den. Harmon, Carlos McCormick and Alajowon Edwards had a 3-way tie as lead scorers for City with eight points each. Scott Allen/For The News-Dispatch
Boys H.S. Basketball Week Preview
By Adam Parkhouse and Zack Eldridge
Staff Writers
Published: Tuesday, February 9, 2010 4:17 AM CST
After an up-and-down season so far, Michigan City’s boys basketball team has an opportunity to clinch a .500 regular season for just the second time in the last nine seasons.

The Wolves get that opportunity in a rare Thursday night (6 p.m. JV tip) game at home against Portage. Since the start of the 2001-02 season, City finished with a .500 or better regular-season record just once, 11-9 in 2007-08.

City put itself in this position with a great weekend, including wins over arch-rival La Porte followed the next night with a win over South Bend Adams, who had just beaten Class 4A No. 5 East Chicago one night earlier.

Though the Wolves (9-7, 4-7 Duneland) still aren’t scoring much, defense has continued to be the team’s forte. City’s allowing 52.1 points per game, the second best total in the Duneland Conference behind only DAC-leading Class 4A No. 3 Valparaiso.

In the second game of the season, City won at Portage, 58-56, in overtime. But the Indians have really struggled, and currently sit winless in the league at 0-11 and just 3-15 overall.

The main culprit for the Indians has been defense, as they allow a DAC-worst 61 points per game and are scoring 51.2, just one-tenth of a point ahead of City’s DAC-worst 51.1 ppg. Portage is led by Dominique Walton and his 11.6 ppg.

City’s also in a position to do something it hasn’t done all season – have a streak of any kind of more than two games. The Wolves are on their third two-game winning streak, but followed each of those up with losses at Chesterton and at Crown Point. City gets a chance to make it three in a row at home before heading on the road to close out the season.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 11 2010, 10:06 PM
Post #66

The Michigan City Wolves win their season high third game in a row with a 51-37 victory over Portage on Senior night. Three year letterman senior Adam Harmon led the way with a blistering 6 out of 7 performance from three point range to lead the Wolves with 22 points on the night. Harmon started the night off with with two triples right off of the bat to lead 6-0, and City never trailed. City opened a 31-14 lead with a 15-0 over the end of the first and beginning of the second quarters and the game was never a contest after that point. Also big on the night was Jabbar Washington who had 10 points and a team high 7 rebounds on the night. Washington was in the right place at the right time on defense all night, and created some great opportunities for his team. Seniors Grady Byrnes and James Patrick also got some solid minutes, Byrnes had a nice night rebounding the basketball as well. Michigan City did achieve a milestone with the victory ensuring at least a .500 regular season for only the 3rd time in the 21st century. MC improves to 10-7 on the season and 5-7 in Duneland play. Portage falls to 3-16 and 0-12 in the DAC.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 12 2010, 08:24 AM
Post #67

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2010/0...b8274131758.txt

Win streak

City’s Adam Harmon lays the ball up past Portage’s Dominique Walton on Thursday night at the Wolves Den. Harmon had a game-high 22 points. Scott Allen/For The News-Dispatch
Boys Basketball: Michigan City 51, Portage 37
By Adam Parkhouse
Staff Writer
Published: Friday, February 12, 2010 4:17 AM CST
MICHIGAN CITY — Where John Boyd came from, 10 wins might not sound like such a big deal. Used to be, it wasn’t here, either.

But reaching the 10-win plateau guarantees at worst a .500 regular season, and at Michigan City, that’s only been done once in the previous eight seasons.

That was until Thursday, when Michigan City won its third straight game — the longest streak of any type this season — by getting off to a hot start and never looking back in a 51-37 win over Portage. That’s the identical score City beat South Bend Adams by last Saturday.

“It’s awesome,” Boyd said of the 10th win. “People don’t know what I came into here.

“I keep telling people they’ve gotta come out and support these kids. It’s not for me, it’s for Michigan City.”

The win streak is City’s first three-game win streak since beating Crown Point, Merrillville and South Bend Clay from Jan. 19-27, 2007. Amazingly, City (10-7, 5-7 Duneland) hasn’t won four in a row since opening the 2000-01 season with four straight wins during Bob “Bear” Falls’ final season as coach.

The Wolves will get a chance for four in a row next Friday at Lake Central, but first they had to take care of business against the DAC-winless Indians (3-16, 0-12 DAC).

City wasted no time getting to work. On Senior Night, it was senior Adam Harmon making two 3-pointers in the first 58 seconds to give City a 6-0 lead. On the next trip, Harmon canned another trey and had nine points on City’s first three shots of the night.

Harmon’s outburst helped City, averaging just 51 points per game this season, put up 23 in the first quarter and take a nine-point lead into the second quarter.

Harmon wasn’t done just yet. He made two more 3-pointers to start the second quarter and made his first five from beyond the arc overall. A Shereff Knight basket gave City an 8-0 run to start the second quarter and a 31-14 lead overall. Harmon finished with a game-high 22 points.

“I’m just extremely proud of Adam Harmon to see how explosive he can be,” Boyd said.

But from that point on, City’s offense went stagnant. Luckily, the defense wasn’t. City’s defense is second-best in the DAC in terms of points allowed per game, and the Wolves stifled the Indians all night, forcing 21 turnovers.

“As a team we’ve talked about controlling our emotions,” Boyd said. “After Adam hits a couple shots, they’re jumping around like the game’s over.

“But our defensive intensity stayed up. We had active hands and were shooting in the passing lanes.”

The defensive effort, which has led the team all season, made sure Portage never got close despite City’s offensive struggles in the last 2 1/2 quarters. Once City’s lead got to double figures in the second quarter, it stayed there and Portage never seriously threatened.

Notes: City won the junior varsity game 42-30 behind a team-high 16 points from Steven Ray. Jimmie Coleman added nine for City. ... Portage didn’t commit its first foul of the second half until the fourth quarter and the Wolves didn’t attempt a free throw the entire game until the 4:!5 mark of the fourth. City ended up 0-for-5 from the charity stripe. ... Prior to the game, City honored seniors Harmon, Grady Byrnes and James Patrick as well as the senior band members and cheerleaders. ... In the first half, City made 7-of-11 3-pointers as a team but was just 5-of-13 from inside the 3-point stripe.

Contact Sports Editor Adam Parkhouse at aparkhouse@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 461.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 16 2010, 09:47 AM
Post #68

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...b2853967434.txt

Up for 4 straight

City’s Adam Harmon lays up past Portage’s Dominique Walton on Thursday at the Wolves Den. Scott Allen/For The News-Dispatch
H.S. Basketball Week Preview
By Adam Parkhouse and Zack Eldridge
Staff Writers
Published: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 4:17 AM CST
It’s staggering to consider, but Michigan City’s boys basketball team is on the verge of history. Sort of.

Michigan City will enter Friday’s game at Lake Central riding a three-game winning streak with a chance to do something it hasn’t done since Dec. 9, 2000: Win its fourth consecutive game.

It might be more of a commentary as to how the program has struggled in the years since, but a fourth straight win could no doubt give City some momentum heading into the rest of the season.

To do so, City will have to exact a measure of revenge against Lake Central. The Indians won 54-50 at the Wolves Den in overtime on Jan. 5 in a game that’s bothered coach John Boyd since it happened.

One could argue that Lake Central (11-6, 8-4 Duneland) is the surprise of the DAC. City (10-7, 5-7 DAC), meanwhile, is trying to sneak into the top half of the league, one game behind fourth-place La Porte with two to play.

City will play back-to-back games this week, also traveling to South Bend Washington (10-9) on Saturday night (5:30 p.m. CST JV tip).

The Panthers have dominated the series with the Wolves recently, winning 11 consecutive matchups. City’s last victory came March 7, 2000.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 16 2010, 11:07 AM
Post #69

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...5e990863419.txt

He's right; I'm right

Home Cookin'
Published: Sunday, February 14, 2010 4:17 AM CST
The other night, after City’s third consecutive win Thursday against Portage, I got up close and personal with the feistiness of coach John Boyd.

Happy with the recent success of his team, Boyd intensely queried me about when I was going to start giving the Wolves some respect.

I’d been critical so far about the team’s lack of offensive identity and its DAC next-to-last 51 points per game.

To be honest, I stand behind that. The team has struggled, or at least been inconsistent, offensively. But the Wolves’ defense, ranked second in the league at 51.2 points per game, has kept the team afloat.

So Boyd and I went back and forth a little bit and then carried on with the postgame interview. But the thing is, we were both kinda right.

Boyd’s got a point when you look at how this team has performed so far compared to what was expected of them. You might remember last year, or if you might be trying to forget, when the Wolves went 3-18 and had a season-ending 17-game losing streak.

It was not a lot of fun to go through.

This team already has 10 wins, just the second time in nine years that’s happened. That’s an accomplishment, no doubt. Coaches and players should be proud of that.

Boyd also points to his kids’ improvement both as citizens of the community and students in the classroom. All very commendable.

But I stand behind my criticism, even if yielding that I haven’t often enough pointed out the positives of what’s gone on so far in Boyd’s first year.

Why? Because I don’t want to have to settle for this program being average. At least, that’s the mindset I’ve taken until this point.

Of course, I realize Boyd doesn’t want that, either. The guy has a state championship ring. Mediocre isn’t in his vocabulary.

But I think as an alum of Michigan City High School and a lifetime resident of MC, I want greatness for the teams I cover.

That’s why I’m critical when things fall short of the mark, all while trying to accentuate the positive when possible. Improvement is the key. It’s what we all should be striving for every day, no matter what we’re involved in.

Move forward. Take steps in the right direction. So far, that’s what Michigan City’s boys basketball team has done this season.

And for that, you have my respect.

I feel like I’ve been lied to.

My whole life, all I’ve been told is there’s nothing to do in Michigan City. Nowhere to go, nowhere to hang out and nothing to kill a couple hours with.

But it must have all been a lie. People must be doing something, because what they’re not doing is checking out City’s basketball teams.

Outside of the La Porte game at the Wolves Den recently, home crowds have been embarrassing at the Wolves Den.

At the girls sectional game in Valparaiso, which isn’t that far away, folks, my colleague here at the N-D, Drew White, estimated there were maybe 50 Wolves fans in attendance. He felt he was being generous with that number.

Only 50 people, to see the two-time defending sectional champions take on one of the top teams in the state.

Factor that in with sparse crowds at boys games and I’m left feeling out of the loop.

Where’s everyone hanging out? What’s everyone doing?

To the die-hards I see at every game (you know who you are): I applaud you for supporting our young people.

To those choosing to do whatever else: shame.

We’ve gotta do better.

Contact Sports Editor Adam Parkhouse at aparkhouse@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 461.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 20 2010, 10:08 AM
Post #70

According to Coach Boyd, Adam Harmon might not play the rest of this season after getting a very large cut over his eye during the game against Lake Central.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Feb 20 2010, 10:46 PM
Post #71

Really Comfortable

I'm beginning to believe that a some of these officiating crews have some sort of past vendetta or some sort of personal animosity against coach Boyd and his staff from their days at West Side.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 21 2010, 07:58 AM
Post #72

I know this is high school basketball, but I think I saw the worst officiating crew ever last night. Not in terms of fouls, but in terms of working together and having control of a game. In this game I saw...

-A player get blood on his jersey from a hard foul. They took the player off of the FT line and walked him over to the bench properly. The coach put in a new player who walked over to the FT line to get ready to take the shot. Then the same official walked back to the scorers bench and had a minute long conversation with them, while the other two officials stood and watched. Only to come back and have no conversation with his crew, and go right to their spots.

-A player got fouled in the backcourt to put him team into the bonus. Everyone walks down to the other end of the floor to shoot FTs. The baseline official gives the shooter the ball, and then in the middle of the kid shooting the first attempt, he blows the whistle and stops him, but not before he hits the FT. That official then walks all of the way back to half court to talk to the trailing official who made the original call. They wipe out the make. Eventually they walk back and shoot them again, and of course the shooter manages to hit the first and miss the second FT.

-A player fouled out on a foul in the back court. The official walks over to the scorers bench and gets the signal that the player has fouled out. Instead of walking the player back to the bench, he walks back to half court into his alignment for a free throw. The fouled out player walks down the floor and gets into position for the free throw attempt The other two officials who apparently aren't paying any attention go ahead and assume everything is OK. The baseline ref, gives the ball to the FT shooter, who promptly hits a FT, with an illegal player still on the floor. The half court official finally realizing what was going on, stops play and then finally walks the fouled out player back to his bench, forcing a substitution. This time the FT is counted.

-In the last nine seconds of a two point game, a foul is given in the back court to force more FTs. The player receiving the foul get frustrated and shoves away the player who gave the foul as they walk down court for the FTs. Now it is possible no one saw the situation because they were moving down for the FTs. When they get to the FT line, the kid who committed the foul steps into the lane and stands in front of the shooter, who promptly shoves him again. This time everyone is watching, including all three officials who are in their properly places for the free throw. The baseline official was holding the ball ready to give it to the shooter. Not a word is said to anyone. Not to the shooter, nor the kid basically taunting the shooter.

It was just brutal.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 26 2010, 10:46 PM
Post #73

The Michigan City Wolves pulled off the biggest upset victory in their short history tonight, knocking off the #2 two in the state of Indiana 62-46 at Valparaiso High School. The Wolves never trailed in this game, jumping out to a commanding 13-0 lead with a quick 11 points from Adam Harmon leading the way. The Vikings never got closer than 10 points as they suffered only their third loss of the season, their first loss of more than 5 points in any game this year, and their first loss at home this season. Michigan City managed to build up as big as a 22 point lead in the first half, and led 30-11 at the half. Valpo tried putting a run together in the initial minutes of the third quarter, but City again responded, this time with a 10-0 run to put their biggest lead of the night at 45-22 after three quarters. The fourth quarter didn't provide the Wolves with much of a challenge as City hit their free throws and Coach Joe Otis called off his troops late by entering in his bench players. The leaders for Michigan City including Adam Harmon with 20 points, James Sanders who had a big night with 18 points and 9 big rebounds, and Alajuwon Edwards with 7 points and 10 rebounds. Michigan City finishes at 11-9 for the regular season and 6-8 in DAC play. Valparaiso finishes at 17-3 and 12-2 in the Duneland Athletic Conference.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 27 2010, 10:19 AM
Post #74

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...e1283695550.txt

Winning big

Boys Basketball: Michigan City 62, Valparaiso 46
By Adam Parkhouse
Staff Writer
Published: Saturday, February 27, 2010 4:16 AM CST
VALPARAISO, Ind. — No doubt everyone at Valparaiso High School was waiting for the home team to make its run.

After all, the Vikings are the No. 4 team in Class 4A (No. 2 according to the coaches poll) and were at home on Senior Night just days after its second loss of the season.

The run never came, and Michigan City made sure this was never a game.

The upstart Wolves started the game on a big run and never looked back, leading by as much as 23 and never less than 10 after the midway point of the first quarter in a 62-46 shellacking of the stunned Vikings.

“I’ve been saying all year it’s a process to bring in a different system to kids who are not used to doing things my coaching staff is used to,” City coach John Boyd said. “We played with a lot of intensity throughout and that was good to see.”

City did win at Valpo back in 2008, but overall the Vikings led the series with the consolidated Wolves 18-7 and had won 15 of the last 17 going into Friday’s regular season finale.

Not only did City get the upset victory, but couldn’t ask for a better way to go into the sectional, even if senior Adam Harmon (game-high 20 points) downplayed that part of it.

“When you go into the sectional, everyone’s record is 0-0,” Harmon said. “It doesn’t matter anymore.”

If City were to meet Valpo again, it wouldn’t be until the championship game of next week’s Michigan City Sectional. If such a meeting occurs, the Vikings will like to have long forgot about this one.

The Wolves (11-9, 6-8 Duneland) opened the game on a 13-0 run, 11 of those points coming from Harmon.

“In his last three or four games he’s come out on fire,” Boyd said. “He starts us out well and the kids gain confidence.”

With 4:38 to play Harmon hit a spinning runner in the lane to give his team a 10-0 lead. From that point on, for the final 28 minutes, 38 seconds, the Wolves never led by less than 10.

Valpo (17-3, 12-2 DAC) didn’t score until Andy Martin’s putback with 2:39 to play in the first quarter. For the game, the Vikings were ice-cold from the field, shooting 28.6 percent (16-of-56). From the 3-point line, it was even worse, as the Vikings made just 7-of-34 attempts.

Valpo’s Brad Karp made a trey at the end of the first quarter to cut City’s lead to 17-7. But City never let mighty Valpo back up.

The Wolves opened the second quarter on a 7-0 run, but a 3-pointer from sophomore Taylor Lavery made the score 30-8 with 3:23 to play in the half. City would carry a 30-11 lead into halftime.

The Vikings did start to make a run in the third, cutting the advantage down to 13 in the first 3:15 of the second half. But after trading baskets twice, City bursted out on a 7-0 run capped off by a James Sanders 3-pointer to push the lead back out to 20 at 42-22.

City wasn’t done yet in the third. Harmon had an old-fashioned three-point play with 1:21 left and City carried that 45-22 lead into the fourth.

Valpo did score 24 points in the fourth, but it was way too little, way too late. City took care of business at the foul line, making 15-of-22 attempts in the final stanza.

While everyone else was stunned by the final score, City’s players and coaches didn’t seem to be.

“That’s what we should do,” Harmon said. “We played as a team tonight. ... It’s a big win for us.”

So what does this win mean heading into next week’s sectional?

“Absolutely nothing,” Boyd said. “You have to just play one game at a time.”

Going back to his days at Gary West Side, Boyd now has a 3-1 record against Valpo.

“I feel very comfortable playing Valpo,” Boyd said. “They’re a big-time program and we want to get to that someday.”

Notes: Valpo won the junior varsity game 43-37. ... This was the most lopsided loss for Valpo since Feb. 15, 2008, a 21-point loss at Merrillville. It was the most lopsided loss at home since a 20-point loss to Merrillville earlier that season. ... This was City’s most lopsided win against at DAC opponent since beating Portage by 16 back on Dec. 3, 2004.

+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Feb 27 2010, 11:31 AM
Post #75

Really Comfortable

“I’ve been saying all year it’s a process to bring in a different system to kids who are not used to doing things my coaching staff is used to,” City coach John Boyd said. “We played with a lot of intensity throughout and that was good to see.”
I think if Boyd asked those fellas to run through a brick wall, they'd do it. I just hope that same intensity carries over to the sectional semi-final game against Merrillville

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 27 2010, 12:54 PM
Post #76

http://nwitimes.com/sports/high-school/ind...dfa0fef208.html

Wolves crush Times No. 2 Vikings in boys hoops

Michigan City dominates throughout to upset Valpo

* Story
* Discussion

BY PAUL JANKOWSKI - Times Correspondent | Posted: Saturday, February 27, 2010 12:00 am | No Comments Posted

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

VALPARAISO | An early score of 17-2 or 30-8 hasn't been unusual during Valparaiso games this season.

The Times No. 2 Vikings are usually on the positive end of that kind of count.

But Michigan City gave Valpo a dose of its own medicine Friday night in Viking Gym on Senior Night.

The Wolves dominated the Vikings 62-46, forcing Valpo to tie for the Duneland Athletic Conference title with Merrillville. Valpo (17-3, 12-2) has lost two in a row going into next week's Michigan City Sectional, while the Wolves improved to 11-9 (6-8).

Adam Harmon led the Wolves with a game-high 20 points, which included 11 in the first quarter when Michigan City sprinted out to a 17-7 lead at the quarter break. James Sanders finished with 18 for the Wolves, who made six first-half 3-pointers and led 30-11 at halftime.

"They just flat out beat us," Valpo coach Joe Otis said. "They shot lights out and we never really responded."

Valpo made just 2-of-14 3-pointers in the first half, and finished a miserable 7-of-35 (20 percent) from the arc. Brad Karp and Jerrick Suiter scored 11 points each to lead the Vikings, while starters Derek Kennett and Andy Martin were held to zero and two points, respectively.

The Wolves played a relentless defense the entire game, and never let up offensively after the quick start which pleased coach John Boyd.

"I feel very comfortable playing Valpo," said Boyd, who coached his first game at Viking Gym. "They're a big-time program and I hope to get to their level one day.

"We thought that we could put some pressure on the ball defensively. They're a rhythm team and they weren't able to get into a rhythm, and that affected them."

Harmon, who had nine stitches around his eye after a collision against Lake Central on Jan. 19, set the tone on both ends of the court for the Wolves. He had three steals and six rebounds to fill up the stat sheet.

"Adam came out on fire, and that started us off really well," Boyd said.

In the second half, Valpo got within 13 midway through the third quarter but the Wolves built the lead back up to 45-22 by the end of the third quarter.

Michigan City made 15 free throws in the final quarter.

"It just wasn't meant to be our night," Otis said. "Last week we gave one away (at Merrillville), but this time Michigan City just took it right to us. They're a very dangerous team.

"I've never seen a John Boyd-coached team that didn't play hard defensively. Give them a lot of credit for taking it from us and doing it decisively."

BOYS BASKETBALL

Michigan City 62, No. 2 Valparaiso 46

Adam Harmon scored 20 points and James Sanders 18 for the Wolves.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 3 2010, 12:39 PM
Post #77

WIMS AM 1420 will be there as always for the Wolves game. We will be on the air about 15 minutes before tip off and bring you the totally biased hometown call of the game. We will follow the Wolves as far as they can go into the 100th Hoosier Hysteria. Michael Gresham and Adam Parkhouse will be there, as we have been all year long.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 4 2010, 09:19 AM
Post #78

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...2e809731074.txt

Heartbreak City

City’s Adam Harmon gazes at the scoreboard during the Wolves’ 47-36 loss to Portage in the opening round of the Michigan City Sectional Wednesday night at the Wolves’ Den. (Scott Allen/For The News-Dispatch)
Michigan City Sectional: Portage 47, City 36; Merrillville 73, Hobart 49
By Adam Parkhouse
Staff Writer
Published: Thursday, March 4, 2010 4:19 AM CST
MICHIGAN CITY — When asked what his team’s stunning season-ending victory over Valparaiso meant heading into the sectional, Michigan City coach John Boyd said, “absolutely nothing.”

Turns out, he was right. But surely even he didn’t know just how right he would be.

Just five days after catching the state’s attention with a jaw-dropping win at Valpo, City laid an egg in a just as stunning 47-36 loss to Portage in the opening round of the Michigan City Sectional on Wednesday at the Wolves Den. With the win, Portage improved to 4-18 on the season.

“I’ve coached in games where one team was stasticially better than the other team and then the other team comes out and plays like juggernauts,” Boyd said. “Maybe that’s what happened against Valpo.”

Boyd didn’t dismiss the idea that the Valpo win had a negative impact on his team.

“Maybe we came out cocky,” Boyd said. “I saw some things in the layup line that, to me, was arrogance.”

Portage started the game on a 10-2 run keyed by a pair of 3-pointers from Keenan Ruzga. But City appeared to figure things out after that, going on a 14-0 run stretching into the second quarter, including seven points each from James Sanders and Adam Harmon. The two combined for one point the rest of the way.

“We’ve got a young team and the lights shine a little brighter here (in the sectional),” Boyd said. “Then my go-to, Adam Harmon, gets what? Six shots? Seven shots? That’s not our game.”

Despite City’s run, Portage managed to take a 22-20 lead at the half after a steal and Dominique Walton lay-in at the buzzer.

In the third quarter, the Indians managed to extend the lead by three, taking a five-point lead into the fourth.

Through three quarters, City had managed just 22 shots in 24 minutes. The Wolves (11-10) would get nine more, but made just one.

With 5:11 to play, a Walton basket pushed Portage’s lead out to nine at 38-29. Two free throws from City junior Alajowon Edwards cut the lead to five at 40-35, but the Wolves never got closer. The shots didn’t fall late and Portage made its free throws to complete the upset, sending a good City crowd home unhappy.

“It’s somber,” Boyd said of the mood in the locker room. “But I always say, you don’t lose. You learn.”

City loses just two of its top nine players going into next season, leaving Boyd optimistic about the future.

“It’s hurtful to me that I wasn’t able to bring a sectional win to the Michigan City community,” Boyd said. “But at some point, we will not go through this. I promise.”
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Aug 3 2010, 08:03 PM
Post #79

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

Check out Wednesday's N-D/H-A for my interview with Coach Boyd. It's a must-read, I promise.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:35 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com