Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RAVE: Holly's family restaurant.
Southsider2k12
post Jan 8 2007, 09:18 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

One of the gem places to eat in MC, they are a great balance of reasonable prices, and good food. They are owned by a local family, and most of the kids still work and run the shop. They also did a very nice expansion there a couple of years ago to give the place a much-needed boost in capacity, and added a very nice separate bar area. One thing I would still like to see them add is NTN trivia like they have at Damon's and Buffalo Wild Wings. If they added that, I might never leave!

Besides all of that stuff, they also are very generous with helping out organizations in town by running what is called "give back nights" where they donate 10% of checks for people who eat there on specified nights.

http://www.hollysrestaurant.com/
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jan 9 2007, 10:56 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 10

I love Holly's. Been going there since I was a teenager. My favorite is the pretzel sandwich. Mmm Mmm Mmm. Thanks Southsider, you're making me homesick!! wink.gif

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
TSNSPYDER
post Mar 6 2007, 12:09 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 76

I remember them when they first opened. They were Holly's By Golly (don't know if they still go by that or not). Used to serve popcorn before you ate. Thanks for the website, will have to check it out.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 6 2007, 12:29 PM
Post #4

They still serve the popcorn, and have undergone a recent remodel to give themselves more room. Essentially they added a bar area, and turned the old section into more seating.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 6 2007, 12:44 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(TSNSPYDER @ Mar 6 2007, 11:09 AM) *

I remember them when they first opened. They were Holly's By Golly (don't know if they still go by that or not). Used to serve popcorn before you ate. Thanks for the website, will have to check it out.

Actually, it was Holly's Steak and Four--this about 25 years ago. I remember because I always wondered what the and Four meant. They used to serve blue margaritas on Tuesdays-I believe-in GREAT BIG margarita glasses. I wasn't 21 yet, but I would always go to the bathroom and my boyfriend (who was over 21) would order my drink for me while I was gone. My drink would be at the table when I got back and the waitress never asked me for ID. Ahhh, the good old days. (Now, I would LOVE to get carded... wink.gif )
Then they dropped the "Steak and Four" and changed to Holly's By Golly--which I thought was kinda stupid. I liked it when it was Holly's Steak and Four. Even though I had no clue what the And Four was about, it was fun to say. The new name was just too rhymie.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Apr 2 2007, 09:07 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 90

I have eaten there several times, and eat time I felt it was rather expensive for the quality of the food. Frankly, I was disappointed, and so was my son; we went about three times, haven't been back.
+Quote Post
rolfecms
post Jun 9 2008, 10:26 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 795

QUOTE(Ang @ Mar 6 2007, 01:44 PM) *

Actually, it was Holly's Steak and Four--this about 25 years ago. I remember because I always wondered what the and Four meant. They used to serve blue margaritas on Tuesdays-I believe-in GREAT BIG margarita glasses. I wasn't 21 yet, but I would always go to the bathroom and my boyfriend (who was over 21) would order my drink for me while I was gone. My drink would be at the table when I got back and the waitress never asked me for ID. Ahhh, the good old days. (Now, I would LOVE to get carded... wink.gif )
Then they dropped the "Steak and Four" and changed to Holly's By Golly--which I thought was kinda stupid. I liked it when it was Holly's Steak and Four. Even though I had no clue what the And Four was about, it was fun to say. The new name was just too rhymie.

I worked at the restaurant back in the mid 70's during my high school years when it was called Holly's Steak & Four. When it was that name there was no alcohol served - strictly a Ponderosa tray-style steak house. They only started serving drinks after they changed the name to Holly's By Golly. (The Michigan City location was very successful and the owner's wanted to maximize their profits by adding liquor to the mix.)

The 'four' in Steak & Four referred to the other meats that were served there: chicken, fish, roast beef and hamburgers. I remember people used to line up out the door on Sundays for the fried chicken and on Tuesdays for the $1.39 special - for that price you got a rib-eye steak, baked potato, Texas toast and a salad! The normal price for a half-chicken dinner was $1.59 or 1/4 chicken was $1.19. (I was a cashier, can you tell?)

The restaurant was part of a larger chain owned by Holly's Inc based out of Grand Rapids Michigan. In addition to Steak and Fours, they had Holly's Landings, By Golly's and another one I have forgotten. I googled Holly's and apparently the Michigan City location is the last Holly's in existence.

I would be interested in knowing what happened to Holly's Inc and the other locations.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 9 2008, 11:04 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 3

I have not been to Holly's for AGES. I will have to try it now. Any particular dishes or appetizers that are especially good?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 9 2008, 11:24 AM
Post #9

I usually get the French Dip. Yum.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 9 2008, 12:28 PM
Post #10

I'm very fond of the pretzel sandwich.

Welcome to the board Rolfecms and thanks for the info/history of Holly's. I'm glad to have that age old question of "What is the and four" answered for me. I remember the blue margaritas from the mid 80's, like 84/85. I know it was before I left for the Navy in 85, and I wasn't yet 21 ( sad.gif ). I had a fake ID but the waitress never carded me!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 9 2008, 01:07 PM
Post #11

I may try both of them. Thanks.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jun 14 2008, 12:25 AM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Jun 9 2008, 11:24 AM) *

I usually get the French Dip. Yum.

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 17 2008, 09:25 AM
Post #13

Went and had Holly's last Friday nite and tried the fajitas for the first time... Awesome. I loved the sauce they cooked them in. Usually that is what I get on the rare occasions that I got out to Hacienda, and this blew them away. Definitely on the recommended list from one of the local places in town.
+Quote Post
Dan
post Jun 19 2008, 05:12 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 797

That Holly's was owned by the Buda Family. Went to school with the two daughters...
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 20 2008, 06:04 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(Dan @ Jun 19 2008, 06:12 PM) *

That Holly's was owned by the Buda Family. Went to school with the two daughters...

It still is. I believe all three daughters work there...
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 20 2008, 12:07 PM
Post #16

Wasn't there a big article about them in the ND recently?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jun 21 2008, 06:35 AM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

Steak and Four... I never made the connection. Meat and Three's are common south of the Mason Dixon.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 17 2009, 10:46 PM
Post #18

I haven't mentioned Holly's lately, even thought it is one of my favorite places in town. Today was a perfect example of why. I had a three year old acting like a three year old, who managed to dump her dinner onto the floor. Our waitress didn't hesitate to have another dinner made for her, at no cost to us. Plus it was out in just a couple of minutes. You can't beat service like that.
+Quote Post
veryirishme
post Aug 18 2009, 09:56 PM
Post #19

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 843

We love Holly's too!!! I have two little ones and it is the perfect place to go. They are always very kind. The popcorn is great too!!!

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Aug 17 2009, 11:46 PM) *

I haven't mentioned Holly's lately, even thought it is one of my favorite places in town. Today was a perfect example of why. I had a three year old acting like a three year old, who managed to dump her dinner onto the floor. Our waitress didn't hesitate to have another dinner made for her, at no cost to us. Plus it was out in just a couple of minutes. You can't beat service like that.

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 20 2009, 09:23 PM
Post #20

I also wanted to throw out there for people to sign up on line with Holly's at

http://www.hollysrestaurant.com/

They send you all kinds of good coupons.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:29 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com