IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Key player on Michigan City's best boys soccer team in school history set to play at Holy Cross
JHeath
post May 8 2008, 01:37 PM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

I'm very proud to say that I know Matt Kniola, and that he's a fine example for others. How wonderful for him to have earned this opportunity.
Way to go, Matt!

http://heraldargus.com/main.asp?Search=1&a...tionID=&S=1
5/6/2008 10:54:00 AM Email this article • Print this article
The next level
Key player on Michigan City's best boys soccer team in school history set to play at Holy Cross
By Nick Dettmann

For The Herald-Argus

MICHIGAN CITY - It first started as an open tryout.

Now Matt Kniola has himself a scholarship.

Kniola, a former defender for Michigan City High School, signed a scholarship offer Monday afternoon to attend Holy Cross College in South Bend to play soccer - fulfilling a lifelong dream.

"It's pretty exciting," he said. "I feel pretty good about it. It's good to know I got into college and (will be) playing soccer."

Joining him at the signing was his high school coach Bruce Stahl, his parents, Cindy and Mark, and his new coach Thiago Pinto.

During the signing, Pinto presented Kniola with a Holy Cross jersey.

The decision wasn't too difficult, Matt Kniola said. But he is glad it is finally out of the way.

"Coast all the way to graduation," he said.

Pinto was introduced to Kniola earlier this year when Kniola attended an open tryout for the Saints.

While Kniola has been playing soccer since he could walk, he said, soccer is new to Holy Cross.

The school began men's and women's soccer just this past fall. But despite the sport being new, the men's soccer team was successful in its first year.

After starting 0-5, the Saints won nine of their final 12 games, including winning seven straight to end the year at 9-8.

Kniola hopes to continue that success, and Stahl believes Kniola's combination of touch and size will make him a successful college soccer player.

The aspiring business major was one of the staples to the most successful season in Wolves boys soccer history. The team set school records for most wins in a season, most goals scored, fewest goals allowed and the most shutouts registered in a single season. Also, the Wolves advanced beyond the sectional for the first time.

The Wolves began the year 3-3-2, but won 10 of their final 12 games of the season to finish 13-5-2.

And Kniola was a big reason for that.

"He's a tough guy," Stahl said. "He can be a midfielder, he can be a defender. ... He's going to be hard to replace. ... It's going to be big shoes to fill."

It ended with a 3-1 loss to Chesterton in the Valparaiso Regional semifinal.

This year Kniola scored four goals and had six assists from his defender position.

The big trademark of his game was his strong leg. On a number of occasions this season, he would set up plays by playing a long aerial pass into the 18-yard box from midfield. Many of his goals were scored from at least 25 yards away.

"It's a pretty cool thing," Stahl said. "For years we didn't have any players going on to the next level. Now we've had three seasons in a row where we' ve had players go to the next level. ... It's exciting to know we're getting players looked at."

Kniola said he explored Aurora (Ill.) University and Rockford (Ill.) College as possible college selections as well, but decided on Holy Cross.

Pinto said he used the high praise and recommendation Kniola got from his coaches and Kniola's performance at the open tryout as an evaluator of Kniola's talent.

He's fine with that, and believes he has a quality player, and is aware of Kniola's unique talent to create plays with his strong leg.

"Right off the bat, he's just a kid that loves the game," Pinto said. "He shines when you talk about the game. ... He's got an excellent touch on the ball; very good defender. ... He fits really well into what we're looking for."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post May 9 2008, 12:12 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Matt is a good kid from a fine family. Way to go, Matt!

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jun 30 2008, 03:31 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

You heard it here first...
Damian Marciniak is also headed to Holy Cross. He signed on to play soccer there last Friday.
+Quote Post
Dan
post Jun 30 2008, 05:08 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 797

QUOTE(JHeath @ Jun 30 2008, 03:31 PM) *

You heard it here first...
Damian Marciniak is also headed to Holy Cross. He signed on to play soccer there last Friday.

I knew a few in the Kinola family, they are MC like Pizarek, Herrbach, Novak, Wozniak and Chapala.

Hey, I got a scholarship to play soccer at St. Joe's, where's my write up?! lol
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jun 30 2008, 08:55 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Both Matt and Damian volunteered to work with children with special needs during our first season of TOPSoccer this past spring. They were both so great with the kids...not an easy thing for some people to deal with, but they handled it with grace and ease. Both even came out in uniform most weeks (which the kids thought was really cool).

I wish them both the best in this endeavor. I hope the school is ready for them! laugh.gif
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jul 1 2008, 02:38 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=15324

7/1/2008 11:00:00 AM
Joining The Club
Marciniak becomes sixth player in four years to move on to college soccer from City

Nick Dettmann
The News-Dispatch

Damian Marciniak was the backbone of the Michigan City Wolves soccer program for four years.

Now he will take on a similar role 40 miles away in South Bend, Ind.

Marciniak, a four-year starter at goalkeeper for the Wolves, signed last week with Holy Cross to play soccer, joining former teammate Matt Kniola.

Kniola signed with the Saints in May.

"I'm thrilled," Marciniak said. "It's like a dream come true."

Marciniak originally planned to go to Indiana and either walk-on or play club soccer. But his supporters, including Kniola and his family convinced him to explore Holy Cross and attend school there instead.

"It's a chance to play in college, so of course I'll look at it," Marciniak said. "(Kniola) helped me out big time."

Marciniak was a big reason why the Wolves re-wrote the school record books last season.

He allowed 23 goals in 19 games (1.21 goals-against average). He helped lead a team that set school records for most wins in a season (13), most goals scored, fewest goals allowed and the most shutouts in a single season (8). Also, the Wolves advanced beyond the sectional for the first time.

Marciniak was The News-Dispatch's Boys Soccer Player of the Year this past season.

In his junior season, Marciniak's numbers were similar, allowing just 22 goals in 18 games for a 1.22 GAA. He was selected to the All-Duneland team that season.

City coach Bruce Stahl credits Marciniak for being a contributing factor to the team's success the past couple seasons.

"He's an all-around good goalkeeper," Stahl said in November. "He doesn't have any real weaknesses. ... When you have an excellent goalkeeper, they're hard to replace. They just don't grow on trees."

Marciniak joins Kniola, Alex Jones, Tyler Stahl, Ryan Criner and Riley Byrnes to move onto the college level in the past four years under Stahl.

Coming out of high school, the knock against Marciniak was his height. At 5-foot-10, most goalkeepers at the NCAA Division I level are at least 6 feet tall.

But Marciniak's quickness, decision-making and instincts make him a stalwart in goal.

"He was one of the top two goalies we've ever had," Stahl said. "... Damian was one of the premier keepers in the whole conference; the whole area. He's going to be hard to replace."

Marciniak enters a favorable situation at Holy Cross.

The Saints, who enter their second year of college soccer, are in need of a goalkeeper. Plus there's a new coach at the helm. That coupled with his former teammate going as well, that made Marciniak's decision easier.

"It's a new program, so I've got a pretty good chance to get some playing time," Marciniak said. "... It's pretty awesome."

Contact sports writer Nick Dettmann at ndettmann@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 447.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:56 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com