7 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Reilly's bouncer caught on video hitting patron
NDReporter
post Oct 5 2009, 08:05 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 945

I can't believe no one started this thread already, so I will! I want to see what everyone has to say about this story. http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=26179

Video clip shows Reilly's bouncer punching man

Alicia Ebaugh
Staff Writer

MICHIGAN CITY - Caught on video by bystanders, footage of a doorman hitting a patron several times and then kicking him outside Reilly's Sports Bar and Grill last month has drawn pointed criticism from all sides. The patron and his family claim such force was excessive and wouldn't have been employed if he weren't black. Bar employees say the patron provoked the fight.

In the 28-second clip, which first found its way to the internet Tuesday, Eryc D. Calvin, 26, of Michigan City, is seen lying on the ground outside the bar at 1103 Franklin St. near some broken glass with two men standing over him, pushing him into the sidewalk.

The volume on the video is low, but Calvin can be heard saying "I didn't even do nothin'," to which doorman Eric Polomcak replied, "You took a swing at me, b----." A man identified by bar owner Mark Killerman as a manager is seen yelling to another bar patron involved in the altercation, "Marty, let him go!"

Calvin is allowed to stand up, fixing his pants and shirt sleeves. Polomcak then says, "You wanna play?" and punches Calvin in the face four times. After Calvin is on the ground, Polomcak asks, "Now we done?" before kicking him in the upper body.

The video, which was featured on the social networking Web site Myspace until Thursday night, drew more than 3,200 views over the three days it was posted there. It is now featured on YouTube.

"Bottom line, what they did was wrong," said Calvin, who is black. "It's racist. You know if that was me beating up on some white guy, I'd be in jail right now."

Polomcak, who admitted in an interview that he punched Calvin, disagreed.

"I saw it, and I know that video doesn't show everything that happened. He pushed another doorman," said Polomcak, 41. "I don't give a s--- if you're black, white, pink or purple, someone who's been drinking is like a loaded gun. You don't know what they're gonna do."

The incident started inside the bar a little before 1:45 a.m. Sept. 20, but Calvin and Polomcak give differing stories about how Calvin ended up outside. Calvin said he was at the bar with his girlfriend, his brother, his brother's girlfriend and two other women. A young woman was pulling on his sweater and trying to dance with him when a doorman came up to him and asked what he was doing, he said.

"He told me I needed to leave and pushed me out the door," Calvin said. "I wasn't trying to fight or nothing."

Polomcak said another doorman, identified only as "Jason," approached Calvin after the woman told Jason that Calvin, her ex-boyfriend, was trying to "start something" with her.

"Jason pushed him toward the door, but he got belligerent and pushed him back, so I got involved. I told him he needed to go and pushed him outside, and we went to the ground," Polomcak said.

The other patron who went outside with them was just trying to help defuse the situation, Polomcak said, and patted Calvin down for weapons. He did not have any.

When Calvin stood up near the curb, he said he would have walked away had the two men not been in front of him and a car behind him on the street.

"How am I supposed to get out of all y'alls club if you're not letting me leave?" Calvin said in an interview.

But Polomcak said that when he asked Calvin if he wanted to "play," Calvin replied, "Yeah, [expletive], we're gonna go." However, that's not audible on the video.

"I'm notorious for keeping my temper, but when he said that I wasn't going to wait to see what he was going to do next," Polomcak said. "I didn't want to get hit ... I could have held back from the knee, but I think everything else was justified."

Calvin's girlfriend, Britney Harmon, 21, Michigan City, said she saw Calvin talking to the woman and went to dance. The next thing she knew, she said, he was pushed outside.

"The bouncers wouldn't let us outside to see what was going on," Harmon said. "They were blocking the doors."

None of his friends saw what happened, Harmon said. Any time there is a fight outside, the doors are blocked to make sure no one else gets involved, Polomcak said. But the video clearly shows a woman was allowed outside during the incident to speak to the other patron who was involved.

Calvin's lip was cut during the fight, he said, and he said he still has severe headaches. He called police after he left the bar to make a report, but he said he didn't get the impression they would do anything about it. In a police report Calvin filed Thursday, he said he was unaware he would have to go to the police station to make a report for battery. The report was made after he first talked to The News-Dispatch about the incident.

Calvin's family has hired attorney Greg Sarkisian of Portage in hopes of pursuing action against the bar.

Bar owner Killerman said he was sure his staff handled the situation appropriately.

"We don't want this place to be like the old Sullivan's (the bar's previous name)," Killerman said. "We don't want trouble here."

Signature Bar
Necessary disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Paxton Media Group.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Oct 5 2009, 08:17 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

Why should I care what goes on at night clubs? I don't patronize those types of establishments for the simple fact that they are filled with people who are either looking to start trouble or who don't have the good sense to avoid trouble when it comes their way. I hate to see this Jerry Springer-ish garbage on the front page of the New-Dispatch. It belongs in the police briefs and thats it.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Oct 5 2009, 10:33 AM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

Yup, I tend to agree with the other poster. One of the many reasons I don't go out in M.C. What's the saying? "Nothing good happens after midnight."

Like any train wreck though, I had to take a look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnzPfg47GFY

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 5 2009, 10:37 AM
Post #4

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=26194

Makers of video clip recently were kicked out of Reilly's

Alicia Ebaugh
Staff Writer

MICHIGAN CITY - The bystanders who captured the video of Eryc Calvin and Eric Polomcak outside Reilly's Sports Bar and Grill last month were there filming a documentary as part of an "undercover street team," one of the men said.

Bar staff said those bystanders weren't allowed inside that night because their clothing violated dress code.

Both Calvin and Polomcak said they didn't know the men, but Coston Anderson, 21, Michigan City, said he and his friend, Omar G. Lewis, made the video.

Lewis' Myspace page, titled "Pushkup Entertainment Recording Studio," contains information about musicians and the recording studio, which is located in the Bleck Road Business Complex, 7654 W. U.S. 20. It also contains videos from "Pushkup Ent.'s Undercover Street Team," which Anderson said is filming a documentary titled "Surgeon General's Warning! A Michigan City Documentary."

"We just want to show people what goes on around here, the corruption," including discrimination, Anderson said.

Anderson said he and Lewis came to the bar that night with a camcorder because they were not allowed in a few nights before because of their clothing. They were wearing hooded sweatshirts, T-shirts and jeans, he said. Hooded sweatshirts are not explicitly prohibited by Reilly's posted code, but track suits and sweat pants are. So is "overly baggy clothing."

"They got all kinds of people going in there wearing hoodies and T-shirts," Anderson said. "They said we had a bad attitude."

Bar owner Mark Killerman said the men were, indeed, not let into the bar that night because of their "baggy clothing."

"Our dress code is right on the door, and that kind of clothing isn't allowed here," Killerman said. "They stood outside taking video for a while after that. Apparently, while they were filming they said that we were discriminating against them because they were black. That's bull."

Killerman explained the dress code is meant to exclude anyone who would "cause trouble" at the bar or use clothing to conceal weapons, such as "thugs from Gary."

Anderson and Lewis were talking in the parking lot next to Reilly's when they heard glass breaking, and ran around the side of the building to see the fight happening. That's when the tape started rolling.

"We didn't know who that dude was on the ground, but it didn't look good," Anderson said.

They realized later they recognized Calvin, Anderson said, and started making phone calls to their friends the next day.

"I thought my sister knew him, and she said his mom owned a day care, so we looked for her," he said.

Calvin's mother, Pam Harris, said a man came to her door two days after the assault with a CD containing a clip of the video, saying he was trying to find Calvin. The man didn't identify himself, but Anderson said it was Lewis.

"He said he recognized Eryc and found out his mom had a day care, so he looked me up," Harris said. She runs a day care out of her home in Trail Creek.

E-mail and phone messages to Lewis were not returned.

Lewis first posted the video to his Myspace account last Tuesday, Anderson said.

+Quote Post
NDReporter
post Oct 5 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 945

QUOTE(mcstumper @ Oct 5 2009, 09:17 AM) *

Why should I care what goes on at night clubs? I don't patronize those types of establishments for the simple fact that they are filled with people who are either looking to start trouble or who don't have the good sense to avoid trouble when it comes their way. I hate to see this Jerry Springer-ish garbage on the front page of the New-Dispatch. It belongs in the police briefs and thats it.

It wouldn't have even made the police briefs if someone hadn't taken a video, then posted it on the Internet. Anyway, the whole point isn't about the "Jerry Springer" aspect of what went on, or what goes on at night clubs in general. The point is the fact that the video was made, and that claims of excessive force and racism came from the incident.

Signature Bar
Necessary disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Paxton Media Group.
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post Oct 5 2009, 01:54 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 756

"We don't want this place to be like the old Sullivan's (the bar's previous name)," Killerman said. "We don't want trouble here."
[/quote]

Sorry...you are the owner of just another dive bar in MC. Welcome to reality.

Signature Bar
"If a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." - Duke of Edinburgh.
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Oct 5 2009, 02:41 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

I've watched Road House about 10 times (stop laughing or I'll hit you with a pool cue) and never once did I see a reporter interviewing anyone after the big fight scenes. Maybe if Dalton had written a letter to the Anvil Chorus, all that mayhem could have been avoided.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
huskers888
post Oct 5 2009, 04:11 PM
Post #8

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 858

MY UNDERSTANDING IS A CIVIL RIGHTS INVESTIGATION HAS BEEN LAUNCHED INTO THE ENTIRE INCIDENT.
+Quote Post
huskers888
post Oct 5 2009, 04:33 PM
Post #9

Getting Comfortable

ALSO AS I RECALL EVERY ONE IN ROAD HOUSE WAS WHITE. THERE WAS A GREAT DEAL OF LAWLESSNESS IN THAT SMALL TOWN . THE BOUNCER APPEARS TO HAVE SOME EXTRA RAGE TOWARDS THIS GUY.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Oct 5 2009, 05:30 PM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(huskers888 @ Oct 5 2009, 05:33 PM) *

ALSO AS I RECALL EVERY ONE IN ROAD HOUSE WAS WHITE. THERE WAS A GREAT DEAL OF LAWLESSNESS IN THAT SMALL TOWN . THE BOUNCER APPEARS TO HAVE SOME EXTRA RAGE TOWARDS THIS GUY.

A first I thought that bleach blonde in blue was the Nature Boy Ric Flair, then I froze the video at :18 and realized it was Major Hot Lips Houlihan from M*A*S*H. That dumb a$$ that just stood there, LOL

Who's the guy in the white baseball cap turned backwards idenified as "Marty"? Corley perhaps?
+Quote Post
Tim
post Oct 5 2009, 05:47 PM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

Once again, a black person gets in trouble and screams "It's racist!" How knee-jerk is that? MC's very own Kanye West.

Regarding comments about going out to clubs in MC, I go out every time I'm home. I always have a great time and meet a lot of friends. Are there jerks there? Sure - but come on - there are jerks at the mall. It all depends on how you like to spend your time, of course - but I always quite enjoy myself.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Oct 5 2009, 05:48 PM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(huskers888 @ Oct 5 2009, 05:11 PM) *

MY UNDERSTANDING IS A CIVIL RIGHTS INVESTIGATION HAS BEEN LAUNCHED INTO THE ENTIRE INCIDENT.

My understanding is you can't find your caps lock button.

laugh.gif
+Quote Post
southyards
post Oct 5 2009, 06:04 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 783

QUOTE(Tim @ Oct 5 2009, 05:48 PM) *

My understanding is you can't find your caps lock button.

laugh.gif

Another po$$ibility i$ that $omeone $ees an opportunity here.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Oct 5 2009, 06:09 PM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(southyards @ Oct 5 2009, 07:04 PM) *

Another po$$ibility i$ that $omeone $ees an opportunity here.

Huh?
+Quote Post
huskers888
post Oct 5 2009, 06:30 PM
Post #15

Getting Comfortable

I LIKE EVERYTHING BIGGER!!!! THAT'S WHY I USED CAP LOCKS. SOME PEOPLE HAVE BLINDERS ON AND NEVER THINK RACE EVER HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING. I GUARANTEE IF THAT HAD BEEN THREE BLACK BOUNCERS PUNCHING AND KICKING A YOUNG WHITE MAN AN ARREST WOULD HAVE ALREADY BEEN MADE. ESPECIALLY WHEN THERE'S VIDEO EVIDENCE OF AN ASSAULT. CLEARLY THE BOUNCERS WERE NOT DEFENDING THEMSELVES. RACISM IS RAMPANT IN MICHIGAN CITY.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Oct 5 2009, 06:34 PM
Post #16

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(huskers888 @ Oct 5 2009, 07:30 PM) *

I LIKE EVERYTHING BIGGER!!!! THAT'S WHY I USED CAP LOCKS. SOME PEOPLE HAVE BLINDERS ON AND NEVER THINK RACE EVER HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING. I GUARANTEE IF THAT HAD BEEN THREE BLACK BOUNCERS PUNCHING AND KICKING A YOUNG WHITE MAN AN ARREST WOULD HAVE ALREADY BEEN MADE. ESPECIALLY WHEN THERE'S VIDEO EVIDENCE OF AN ASSAULT. CLEARLY THE BOUNCERS WERE NOT DEFENDING THEMSELVES. RACISM IS RAMPANT IN MICHIGAN CITY.

Using all caps is the internet equivalent of shouting. It diminishes your message because it's rude.

The black person in the video is clearly drunk. The beating does look excessive - but I'm sure goons like those guys would beat up another white guy with just as much obvious joy.

Trying to make it about race is weak.
+Quote Post
huskers888
post Oct 5 2009, 06:38 PM
Post #17

Getting Comfortable

I CANT HEAR YOU YOUR PRINT IS TOO small.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Oct 5 2009, 06:39 PM
Post #18

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(huskers888 @ Oct 5 2009, 07:38 PM) *

I CANT HEAR YOU YOUR PRINT IS TOO small.

Evidently, you can.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 5 2009, 06:42 PM
Post #19

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I don't know what to think of the situation. Obviously the violence at the end is pretty bad, as are the remarks made to the guy, but I am really curious as to what exactly happened inside. For sure the second time he went after him outside was way too much.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Oct 5 2009, 06:45 PM
Post #20

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Oct 5 2009, 07:42 PM) *

I don't know what to think of the situation. Obviously the violence at the end is pretty bad, as are the remarks made to the guy, but I am really curious as to what exactly happened inside. For sure the second time he went after him outside was way too much.

Agreeance. As the person in question stood up - or tried to stand up - they should have let him go. Hardly racist - more like hiring mindless muscle boys as bouncers.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:43 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com