Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Did You Get Your New Assessments?
Homey
post Feb 18 2009, 07:33 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 826

Wow, when I opened mine, I thought...how did my house get assessed at this price? I realize this doesn't reflect the actual price I could get for my home...like an appraisal...but I'm paying taxes on this amount...even though it wouldn't sell for this price? I don't get it?

Can someone here explain what this all means to me? I'm lost. smile.gif

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Feb 18 2009, 07:57 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

Homey, I'd suggest that you peruse the Assessor Controversy topic in City Talk. There is a lot of info there.

In the meantime, what you received today is not actually a bill, but notice of what your home was valued at for the 2006 assessment (the one that the County had Nexxus reformulate). If you don't agree with that valuation, you can file an appeal making a written request for a preliminary conference with the County Assessor (or the Township Assessor if you're in Michigan Township). The info on how to do this is in the second paragraph on the form.

If you're appealing, you're in good company. I'll be doing the same thing.

This post has been edited by JHeath: Feb 18 2009, 07:58 PM
+Quote Post
Homey
post Feb 18 2009, 08:26 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE(JHeath @ Feb 18 2009, 07:57 PM) *

Homey, I'd suggest that you peruse the Assessor Controversy topic in City Talk. There is a lot of info there.

In the meantime, what you received today is not actually a bill, but notice of what your home was valued at for the 2006 assessment (the one that the County had Nexxus reformulate). If you don't agree with that valuation, you can file an appeal making a written request for a preliminary conference with the County Assessor (or the Township Assessor if you're in Michigan Township). The info on how to do this is in the second paragraph on the form.

If you're appealing, you're in good company. I'll be doing the same thing.

Thanks Jen. I realized it wasn't a bill, but I just can't comprehend the assessed value. After all, I am living in Michigan City...not Beverly Hills smile.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Dave
post Feb 18 2009, 09:09 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 482

We got ours today too.

I've never understood these things. I know the amount of property tax is determined by the assessed value, and then so much per $100 of assessed value goes to the various taxing bodies -- county, school district, etc. (park district? township? water reclamation?) -- so if my neighbor's house is assessed for twice as much as mine, he pays 2x in property taxes.

But how exactly are the assessments determined? Or was that the whole point of the reassessment? If I bought a house for $100K ten years ago, but now a realtor would think I was nuts to list it for as much as $50K, will my assessment be lower now than it was 10 years ago? Is there some way short of appealing the assessment to see how the County Assessor arrived at my numbers? Or are these numbers determined by magical means beyond the ken of mortal man?

+Quote Post
Ang
post Feb 19 2009, 12:43 PM
Post #5

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

I have a whole list of answers I would like to give for the questions here. But really only one answer will suffice for all the questions:

The people doing the work did not do the work properly and the people responsible for hiring the people doing the work don't want to admit they made a critical error. They won't accept responsibility for their mistakes and figure the masses are too ignorant to figure out what's going on.

APPEAL!!!

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Feb 19 2009, 03:37 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Anyone have any appeal tips to pass along? We're going to need them.

This post has been edited by JHeath: Feb 19 2009, 03:37 PM
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Feb 23 2009, 03:04 PM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

QUOTE(Homey @ Feb 18 2009, 07:33 PM) *
Wow, when I opened mine, I thought...how did my house get assessed at this price? I realize this doesn't reflect the actual price I could get for my home...like an appraisal...but I'm paying taxes on this amount...even though it wouldn't sell for this price? I don't get it?

Can someone here explain what this all means to me? I'm lost. smile.gif

Bah... you must just be one of the rich people on Lake Shore Drive with a great view of the lake.

seriously though I'm curious what part of the county / township you guys live in.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
kharris
post Feb 23 2009, 03:11 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Feb 23 2009, 03:04 PM) *

Bah... you must just be one of the rich people on Lake Shore Drive with a great view of the lake.
seriously though I'm curious what part of the county / township you guys live in.

My assessment went up $7200. I live in Michigan Township near Elston. My Parents went up about $1000 and a friend behind Ames Field went up $3000. Both are in Michigan Township. I spoke with someone over the weekend in Union MIlls who said theirs went up a couple thousand. I was also told ... do not know if this is true or not ... that the assessments may have gone up but in turn the rates (whcih we won;t see until they correct the billing) has gone down so it may not be as bad as it looks. Again, do not know if this is factual, but I will see if I can find out.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Feb 23 2009, 03:18 PM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(kharris @ Feb 23 2009, 03:11 PM) *

I was also told ... do not know if this is true or not ... that the assessments may have gone up but in turn the rates (whcih we won;t see until they correct the billing) has gone down so it may not be as bad as it looks. Again, do not know if this is factual, but I will see if I can find out.

You aren't going to be able to tell until it's too late. You need to put in your paper work for a "protective" appeal. If things turn out that they aren't as bad as you initially thought, you can drop the appeal.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Feb 24 2009, 09:25 AM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

Trail Creek. I'm still wondering why Michigan Twp seems to have the most substantial increases.
+Quote Post
Homey
post Feb 24 2009, 10:36 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Bah....you are wrong. I live in Coolspring Township...and mine went up around $20,000.

With that much increase, I should be enjoying a lake view!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Feb 24 2009, 11:12 AM
Post #12

Homey, CCR's remark was loaded with sarcasm. It stems from comments made by Carol McDaniel that the LSD people are rich enough that they can afford the tax increase.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Homey
post Feb 24 2009, 11:24 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Ang @ Feb 24 2009, 11:12 AM) *

Homey, CCR's remark was loaded with sarcasm. It stems from comments made by Carol McDaniel that the LSD people are rich enough that they can afford the tax increase.

I realized that....just his assumption was way off. And you know what assuming something means? It makes an ... out of you and me smile.gif

Some of the folks on LSD aren't that well off, so to clump them all together in a negative light is wrong.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Feb 24 2009, 11:52 AM
Post #14

Yeah, we've had a big, fat HUGE discussion over it. Check out the archives:

http://www.citybythelake.org/forums/index....amp;hl=assessor

http://www.citybythelake.org/forums/index....amp;hl=assessor

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Feb 24 2009, 03:56 PM
Post #15

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Homey @ Feb 24 2009, 11:24 AM) *

I realized that....just his assumption was way off. And you know what assuming something means? It makes an ... out of you and me smile.gif

Some of the folks on LSD aren't that well off, so to clump them all together in a negative light is wrong.

Ummm... yeah, that was a joke. tongue.gif

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Homey
post Feb 24 2009, 06:50 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Feb 24 2009, 03:56 PM) *

Ummm... yeah, that was a joke. tongue.gif

Good for an inside joke...but I don't have the time to research all of the posts of the past.

And I don't want to belabor this. I will be getting a new appraisal and appeal this. Don't know how much this will do...but it's laughable!!!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Feb 24 2009, 09:55 PM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Homey @ Feb 24 2009, 06:50 PM) *

Good for an inside joke...but I don't have the time to research all of the posts of the past.

And I don't want to belabor this. I will be getting a new appraisal and appeal this. Don't know how much this will do...but it's laughable!!!

Appeal for sure, at the very least, as a protective option. If you can hire someone to appraise your house, go for it. If you can get that same person to come to your appeal, you'll be that much more likely to win your appeal. Get comps and get your ducks in a row. Good luck. Unfortunately, in this fight, you're guilty until you can prove different and if you don't have the means or knowledge to do so, you're S.O.L. mad.gif

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:19 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com