Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> League of Women Voters County Candidate Forum
Johnny Rush
post Oct 29 2008, 09:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Banned
Member No.: 72

The turnout for tonights forum was rather sparse, but there were still some good questions being asked. The candidates, basically, were given one minute at the beginning to introduce themselves, then they were asked questions from the audience (via written papers). I thought that most candidates basically stuck to their "stump speeches" and everyone was surprisingly agreeable...except for a couple of interesting races. The surveyor race seems rather intense with the Republican John Saylor touting his in the field experience and Democrat Tony Hendricks talking about his education and involvement with meetings in the past.

I was really intrigued by the race for County Clerk. Keith Harris announced that "(his) intent would be to keep Betty Conroy, the current Clerk, as (his) Chief Deputy." Conroy is a Democrat, is that something that happens very often in the clerk field? Obviously, partisan issues don't really factor in as much...but I found that to be very interesting. Also, Keith said that he would like for us to, eventually, transfer over to a "voting center" system that would eliminate precent voting and allow voters to vote throughout the county? I may not have understood that totally, but he mentioned that due to the ease of voting...it could eliminate early voting? I would love some more information on the voting center technology.

Lynne Spevak pointed out that she basically knew all of the software, programs and systems that the Clerks office uses and she has experience and skill at all of them...so it would be a smooth transition. She was able to get into a little bit more detail about the programs that the office uses, what they use to use, and what they potentially could be using. Who would have thought that there could be so much difference in the candidates for the clerks office??? I figured there wouldn't be much that they could change.

All and all, a pretty informative forum. We will be airing it starting at 7pm Thursday night...we will also be covering/recording the Judicial/Statewide forum that is being held Thursday and airing that on Friday...by we I mean WIMS.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Oct 30 2008, 12:26 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

I wonder why the turnouts have been so low for the forums. I mean, they're a nice option, but are they really as effective as they once were?
+Quote Post
kharris
post Oct 30 2008, 04:17 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 588

QUOTE(JHeath @ Oct 30 2008, 01:26 PM) *

I wonder why the turnouts have been so low for the forums. I mean, they're a nice option, but are they really as effective as they once were?

I think Lynne Kaiser mentioned that the LWV did advertise these events as they had intended to. If folks do not know what is taking place they have no chance to attend.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 31 2008, 09:50 AM
Post #4

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Member No.: 3

Did or Did NOT advertise...?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
kharris
post Oct 31 2008, 10:50 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 31 2008, 10:50 AM) *

Did or Did NOT advertise...?

Sorry ... fingers working faster than the mind ... DID NOT
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:01 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com