Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RANT:IHOP
Southsider2k12
post Feb 17 2009, 10:57 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

For reference sake, it was my moms choice to go here. This is the complaint I sent to their corporate office. The big thing is always check your statements to make sure people aren't padding the bill. We will see how this gets fixed.

Our visit was a disaster from the start. When we went in, we had a large party, so we asked how long it would take to seat eight people. Our party had three young children, so a long wait was not really an option. They told us it should be a 10 or 15 minute wait. After 30 minutes we asked again about how long it would take, and then the hostess refused to give us another estimate. At that point one of the servers overheard the conversation and went out and put two tables together and got them cleaned off and ready. It took another 10 minutes after getting seated for our waitress to come and take our drink order. Finally we got our food orders, and we were served in about another 10-15 minutes. After the food was served we saw our waitress one more time during our whole meal to refill drinks.

The really bad part came after the check came. We split the bill between the two parties at the table. We each wanted to pay our half with our credit cards. It took 4 people to figure out how to do that. Then when I checked my credit card statement today, it looks like someone added money to the final total of the bill. The bill was for $35.39, to which I added a tip of $4.61, for a total of $40.00. When I looked this morning the total had become $44.01. I have already filed a suspicious charge complaint with my bank, to have their fraud department review the charge. Needless to say I will not be going back to your establishment again.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Dave
post Feb 17 2009, 01:17 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

I know some restaurants have a mandatory "gratuity" for parties above a certain number -- 6 or 8 -- could that have been involved?

I've noticed some restaurants I've been to in touristy locations have actually started doing automatic "gratuties" on their bills, which, unless one looks carefully, can result in double tipping.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 17 2009, 01:18 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Dave @ Feb 17 2009, 01:17 PM) *

I know some restaurants have a mandatory "gratuity" for parties above a certain number -- 6 or 8 -- could that have been involved?

I've noticed some restaurants I've been to in touristy locations have actually started doing automatic "gratuties" on their bills, which, unless one looks carefully, can result in double tipping.

They did not specify it on the bill ahead of time like the other places I have seen that done. I suppose it could be, but it was not listed on the detailed bill, and it was not in the final total of $40 that I signed for.
+Quote Post
southyards
post Feb 17 2009, 01:28 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 783

The really bad part came after the check came. We split the bill between the two parties at the table. We each wanted to pay our half with our credit cards.

Before the check came, was the waitress aware that the parties wanted the bill split?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 17 2009, 02:10 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(southyards @ Feb 17 2009, 01:28 PM) *

The really bad part came after the check came. We split the bill between the two parties at the table. We each wanted to pay our half with our credit cards.
Before the check came, was the waitress aware that the parties wanted the bill split?

We told her when she first took our drink order.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Feb 17 2009, 04:45 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

Last time I had breakfast at IHOP in MC it sucked. Cold pancakes will NOT make me a happy customer. When I asked the "waitress" if they had any pancakes they served hot she just rolled her eyes. You couldn't pay me to go to that dump again.
+Quote Post
Michelle
post Feb 17 2009, 06:54 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 787

QUOTE(Tim @ Feb 17 2009, 04:45 PM) *

Last time I had breakfast at IHOP in MC it sucked. Cold pancakes will NOT make me a happy customer. When I asked the "waitress" if they had any pancakes they served hot she just rolled her eyes. You couldn't pay me to go to that dump again.

I've only been to the IHOP in MC once, but my food was cold too. The service wasn't so super, either; I remember that it took a really long time to have our order taken.
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Feb 17 2009, 07:35 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(Michelle @ Feb 17 2009, 06:54 PM) *

I've only been to the IHOP in MC once, but my food was cold too. The service wasn't so super, either; I remember that it took a really long time to have our order taken.

Hmmm ... I gotta say my experiences there have usually been pretty good. My biggest complaint is that they're not open late Sunday thru Thursday and actually close pretty early. But after a night on the town, it's my favorite place to go. Double Blueberry pancakes ... making me hungry now actually. LOL

That said, Southsider's experience seems pretty objectionable. We usually get the same waitress when we go in (about 3 a.m. or so on weekends) and she's very prompt and the food is good.
+Quote Post
Michelle
post Feb 17 2009, 11:28 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 787

Yeah, I have a sample size of one visit, so it could easily have been an off day. But considering that there are other good breakfast options, I'm probably not going to give it another try.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Feb 18 2009, 01:43 AM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Feb 17 2009, 08:35 PM) *

Hmmm ... I gotta say my experiences there have usually been pretty good. My biggest complaint is that they're not open late Sunday thru Thursday and actually close pretty early. But after a night on the town, it's my favorite place to go. Double Blueberry pancakes ... making me hungry now actually. LOL

C'mon, dude - after a night on the town just about anything's great, isn't it?

laugh.gif
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Feb 18 2009, 07:49 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 870

I have had two visits to IHOP in MC. One was with Michelle and was as described by her. The second was with a friend from out of town and it was just as bad. The food was cold, the service was so slow that we almost got up and left. After being served, we never saw our waitress again and had to go to the hostess to ask her to get our bill for us. Two times and I can guarantee you I am never going back.
Unfortunately I think the IHOP issue may also be a problem throughout the chain. We recently went to one in Cleveland (having no other options at the time) and the service and food was just as poor, if not worse. I used to go to one years ago in Indy that was much better. However I read in the Indy Star that they recently tore that one down.

I can imagine that the service at 3 in the morning might be somewhat better since they might not be as busy. However my choices for going out late now only include Buffalo Wild Wings (they serve food until they close) or Denney's.

Signature Bar

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 18 2009, 07:52 AM
Post #12

Isn't Lindos open really late? I do also know that Dino's is open all night for sure.
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Feb 18 2009, 08:38 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 870

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Feb 18 2009, 07:52 AM) *
Isn't Lindos open really late? I do also know that Dino's is open all night for sure.

Thank you. I did not know their hours. I do think I have gone past Lindo's later in the night and it appeared they were not open. However I did not pull in to be sure.

Signature Bar

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
+Quote Post
Ang
post Feb 18 2009, 09:41 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 10

I'm siding with IndyT on this because our IHOP is really terrible as well. I've been here almost 4 years and went to IHOP twice. The first time was for dinner and it was awful. The service was bad, from the hostess down to the bussers. The food did not taste good at all and, while mine was hot, my companion's was not.
The second time I went was a few months later and late at night. I ordered blintzes. The fruit had that frozen/thawed/frozen/thawed taste, and the cream cheese was in clumps (ugh!!). It was pretty nasty. Again, the service was terrible.
That was three years ago and I have not been inside any IHOP since then. I'd been disappointed with the MC IHOP but I figured it was a local problem. Nope. I'm changing my mind to believe it is an IHOP problem.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Tim
post Feb 18 2009, 09:38 PM
Post #15

Really Comfortable

Here's where I get lost - why would anyone go to a dump like IHOP when MC has places like Memo's and Lindo's?
+Quote Post
davew
post Feb 19 2009, 12:45 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 863

QUOTE(Tim @ Feb 18 2009, 09:38 PM) *

Here's where I get lost - why would anyone go to a dump like IHOP when MC has places like Memo's and Lindo's?

Not, sure on that one, to tell you the truth, but I think an issue here is the labor pool that most of these places pull from. While Memo's and Lindo's have decent service. They, also, have local owners that are visible where ihop is a franchise at best with no local ownership.

just my opinion, I could be wrong

+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Feb 19 2009, 02:47 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

Because I'm rarely drunk during the day?
+Quote Post
Tim
post Feb 19 2009, 04:34 AM
Post #18

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(davew @ Feb 19 2009, 01:45 AM) *

Not, sure on that one, to tell you the truth, but I think an issue here is the labor pool that most of these places pull from. While Memo's and Lindo's have decent service. They, also, have local owners that are visible where ihop is a franchise at best with no local ownership.

just my opinion, I could be wrong

Did you even read my question? THe reason I ask is your response has nothing to do with it.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Feb 19 2009, 04:40 AM
Post #19

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Feb 19 2009, 03:47 AM) *

Because I'm rarely drunk during the day?

Well who's fault is that?

laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 19 2009, 07:51 AM
Post #20

I asked my mom the exact same question! laugh.gif
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:24 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com