Southsider2k12
post Feb 26 2007, 05:46 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20.../25/news/n1.txt

Martin retiring after 35 years

Ralph and Virginia Martin live decidedly public lives.

Ralph has served as the chief of the Michigan City Fire Department for the last 12 years and his wife, Virginia, is a long-time at-large Michigan City councilwoman.

One would think the partnership would be advantageous for both when it comes to business, what with the City Council bearing the responsibility of deciding funding for the department.

For the Martins, though, the only advantage is that the two often have things to talk about other than the mundane, daily routine of topics that husbands and wives discuss.

“We have the opposite take on most things, so there never was any issue with conflicts on our parts,” Martin said inside his office at the department's headquarters on Michigan Boulevard. “She wanted to remain impartial and I wanted her to. (Former Michigan City Mayor Sheila Brillson) used to call it pillow talk.”

Ralph Martin will retire March 13 after 35 years and one day with the department, with 12 years as chief - a job he initially didn't want and turned down more than once, he said.

He came up through the ranks and didn't want the added responsibility of being chief. When then-Mayor Brillson pressed him to take the job, he declined twice before agreeing to step up in 1995.

He said Brillson talked him into taking the job, in part, because she asked firefighters who they felt should get the job, and many named Martin.

“It didn't hurt having Virginia on the council, either. It was kind of the perfect deal,” he said. The two were Brillson supporters. “(Brillson) said all the firefighters said they wanted me. I can see all the guys that worked for me saying that. But I don't know about all of them.”

Martin has played a significant role in the department since his arrival, most notably in bringing a semblance of equity to the hiring and promotion practices long based more on politics than on merit, he said.

In the 1970s, Martin and three other firefighters spearheaded an equality effort that landed the department in court for years and essentially froze merit hiring for the better part of the decade.

But in the end, he said, the federal consent decree that stemmed from his efforts to bring fairness to the system has helped bring the department's minority ranks up to a level deemed fair on almost all fronts.

Martin, though, doesn't want to be known as the “black fire chief,” he said.

“Everything was on the spoils system,” Martin said. “All I care about is that we deliver the best service. But I also care about having the basic decency to let anyone have the opportunity to serve the public.”

In his 35 years with the department, Martin has rocked the boat more than a few times, and like many people, hasn't always had perfect relationships with everyone he's worked with. But that hasn't sullied his vision as he looks back on his time with the department.

“I can say I have no regrets,” he said. “We've been able to make significant changes and that's been important. People I watched as kids are now on the force and I see their kids growing up.

“There's never been one firefighter I've ever had a major disagreement with. There's never been a big blow-out. I've tried to deal with everyone fairly and consistently. I think that's why I've survived so long.”

Martin said he looks forward in retirement to finally being bored, a “luxury” he hasn't had since he was about 16 years old, he said. He doesn't have plans to remain involved with the department, outside of the occasional visit to a station or two.

He and Virginia - who decided Friday she wouldn't seek another term on the city council - are planning a trip to Las Vegas this week, and Ralph said he'd love to visit his niece at Spellman College in Atlanta. He'd also like to visit Washington D.C.

Virginia, though - who drives a bus for a living - said Friday she doesn't know if the couple will be able to do all the things Ralph hopes to accomplish.

“I'm only retiring from the council,” Virginia Martin said. “I still have a job. I'm looking forward to going to Vegas, but after that, I just don't know.”

Ruminating about his post-retirement plans, Ralph Martin smiled at the openness of the new world in front of him.

“I just want to learn what it's like to be bored,” he said.

Contact reporter Jason Miller at jmiller@thenewsdispatch.com.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:31 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com