> Coffee Drinkers Unite!!!, 9 reasons why coffee is good for you
Ang
post May 7 2009, 05:14 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

See......
I KNEW there was a good reason to be a coffee sucker--And I've found NINE of them! laugh.gif

http://health.yahoo.com/experts/healthiery...nk-more-coffee/

9 Reasons to Drink More Coffee!SELF.comBy Lucy Danziger

Ask anyone who knows me: I am a certified java junkie. I'm naturally energetic to begin with, but I rely on my caffeine companion to power me through long days, tough workouts and piles of work. I can even have three cups a day—including a dose after dinner—and still sleep soundly all night. Lucky for me—and the 87 percent of Americans who consume caffeine daily, with the average java drinker gulping down 8 ounces a day—more research is proving that coffee is actually healthy for you. So go on, have that latte without guilt. As if you needed more inspiration, here are some brew benefits to prove that sipping is smart:

It helps you shed pounds
People who drank more metabolism-firing caffeine gained less weight over 12 years than those who cut back on the coffee, say researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston.

It powers your workouts
Downing coffee and toast between back-to-back workouts can keep you humming, a study from the Journal of Applied Physiology reports. Athletes who drank a caffeinated carbohydrate beverage after cycling had 66 percent more glycogen (an energy reserve) in their muscles than those who had a caffeine-free version. Replenishing glycogen helps you go farther and faster in your next session. Do you run on caffeine?

It helps you wake up refreshed
Drinking a cup of coffee immediately before taking a 15- to 30-minute catnap can leave you alert and rested after waking up, according to research from The Sleep Research Centre, Loughborough University in Leicestershire, England. Caffeine takes a half hour to kick in, so it will rouse you after a short snooze. Try these tips to sleep your way gorgeous.

It can ward off illness
Increasing your coffee intake may prevent liver cancer, The National Institute of Environmental Medicine in Stockholm, Sweden, finds. Two cups of java daily lowered a person's risk by 43 percent on average. In another study from University of Minnesota at Minneapolis, women who drank coffee had a 24 percent lower risk of dying from heart disease and other inflammatory conditions. Antioxidants in coffee are likely behind the protective benefits.

It can ease muscle cramps
Women who had the caffeine equivalent of two cups of coffee the day after their quadriceps were stimulated (as if they'd done squats) felt 48 percent less leg pain within an hour, research from the University of Georgia in Athens reveals. Caffeine may block the body's receptors for the ouch-causing chemical adenosine, scientists speculate.

It makes cardio feel like a cinch
Women given the caffeine equivalent of about two cups of coffee an hour before cycling reported 40 percent less pain than those who went decaf, according to a study from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Caffeine seems to block neurotransmitters that signal discomfort during exercise, researchers say.

It helps you get want you want
Dealing with a difficult person? Broach a tough topic over a cup of joe. Caffeine may make people more open to persuasion, the European Journal of Social Psychology notes. Researchers say it hones cognitive function, causing skeptics to be more receptive to a convincing case.

It may fight breast cancer
Young women drinking four or more cups of caffeinated coffee daily reduced their breast cancer risk by 40 percent compared with nondrinkers, a study in the Journal of Nutrition finds. The caffeine and polyphenols in regular coffee protect against cancer. Worried about getting the jitters? Even two cups every day can help. And try these risk-reducing recipes as well.

It improves recall!
Caffeine perks up short-term memory, a study from the Medical University of Innsbruck in Austria reveals. One cup of coffee may be all it takes; drink it before a big meeting to be your sharpest.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post May 7 2009, 08:04 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 870

QUOTE(Ang @ May 7 2009, 06:14 AM) *
See......
I KNEW there was a good reason to be a coffee sucker--And I've found NINE of them! laugh.gif

She only drinks 3 cups a day? I average 6 to 7 minimum daily and still sleep well also. Of course my first cup of coffee is brewed early before work and I do not finish my last cup until after dinner. tongue.gif

Signature Bar

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
+Quote Post
Ang
post May 7 2009, 08:20 AM
Post #3

Cups or pots?

I can do a pot easily in the morning on a work day, two on the weekends.

Yeah, I give new meaning to the words Coffee Sucker. But my girlfriend drinks it all day long. She'll drink 3-4 pots over the course of the day. Other people drink off it, too, but you can go to her house any time of day and there will be fresh hot coffee.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post May 7 2009, 08:32 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Ang @ May 7 2009, 09:20 AM) *
Cups or pots?

I can do a pot easily in the morning on a work day, two on the weekends.

Yeah, I give new meaning to the words Coffee Sucker. But my girlfriend drinks it all day long. She'll drink 3-4 pots over the course of the day. Other people drink off it, too, but you can go to her house any time of day and there will be fresh hot coffee.

I don't know really. I have a "one cup at a time coffee maker" as I like my coffee completely fresh. Also my husband and I don't agree on the strength - my preference is really strong. Our compromise was to buy this coffee maker and make it one cup at a time. When I used to make pots, I drank at least 3 pots, if not more. To be honest, walking away from my computer with the cordless phone at my ear and making a cup of coffee has become such a habit, I do not even realize when I am doing it, so I may very well be drinking even more than I realize. (That is one of the hazards of your office being in your home LOL.)

Signature Bar

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
+Quote Post
HIaloha
post May 19 2009, 09:38 AM
Post #5

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 918

i thought i drank a lot! i feel even better now! LOVE my coffee!!!
+Quote Post
Ang
post May 19 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(HIaloha @ May 19 2009, 09:38 AM) *

i thought i drank a lot! i feel even better now! LOVE my coffee!!!

Welcome to the Board!

Are you in Hawaii? If so, you probably drink the best coffee in the world!! My sister's in-laws buy that Kahona (spelling?) coffee and have it shipped to them directly from Hawaii. They pay a LOT for it but it is the best tasting coffee I ever drank. Even better than the coffee I drank when I lived in Europe.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
HIaloha
post May 19 2009, 10:58 AM
Post #7

Getting Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ May 19 2009, 11:04 AM) *

Welcome to the Board!

Are you in Hawaii? If so, you probably drink the best coffee in the world!! My sister's in-laws buy that Kahona (spelling?) coffee and have it shipped to them directly from Hawaii. They pay a LOT for it but it is the best tasting coffee I ever drank. Even better than the coffee I drank when I lived in Europe.

not there now. my hubby is from Hawaii and i lived there from 02-04, on the Big Island. employment is terrible there, so we moved back here for now. besides, our granddaughter is here! biggrin.gif

Kona coffee. yes, it is good! Hawaii is the only state which grows coffee in the US. cool, huh? i tried several brands while living there. Lion's is my favorite. i'd guess it's the shipping which makes it so expensive?

thanks for the welcome. i just happened on this board from a net search for something else. glad i found it. hope to be around often. wacko.gif
+Quote Post
Tim
post May 19 2009, 06:53 PM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(Ang @ May 19 2009, 11:04 AM) *

Welcome to the Board!

I spent a week on Maui in '91 - probably the most shining memory if that experience is the coffee in our rather expensive hotel every morning. Here's a great site to order from -

http://www.hawaiianisles.com/

I love coffee - two cups every morning while reading the Dispatch online. No coffee snob, though - the grocery store stuff is fine for me.

Speaking of coffee - is the local Starbucks still there? If so, does anyone go? I pretty much can't stand Starbucks. All the coffee you buy there tastes burnt, and all the coffee you take home tastes the same, no matter which "flavor" you buy. Every time I come to MC I'm usually getting off a plane at O'Hare around 5AM - so I'll grab a cup because it's all that's open - can barely choke it down.

Coffee - one of life's pleasures.
+Quote Post
HIaloha
post May 19 2009, 07:42 PM
Post #9

Getting Comfortable

i believe it is still there. oddly, whenever i go to starbucks, i order iced chai tea! LOL

i drink pretty much any coffee, as long as it's not too strong and is fresh. i can't handle yuban, though. ugh.
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post May 19 2009, 08:15 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(HIaloha @ May 19 2009, 08:42 PM) *
i believe it is still there. oddly, whenever i go to starbucks, i order iced chai tea! LOL

i drink pretty much any coffee, as long as it's not too strong and is fresh. i can't handle yuban, though. ugh.

My daughter also loves their chai (w/soymilk). I am not a coffee snob either, but any port in a storm (when I need coffee.....almost anything will do). Like you, not yuban though. Starbucks is great if you want to stay up all night. Even though caffeine does not seem to affect me when I want to sleep, Starbucks gives a little extra boost when you don't want to sleep.

Welcome to the board. Hope to see you at the CBTL get together this month.

Signature Bar

+Quote Post
Ang
post May 20 2009, 09:08 AM
Post #11

Folger's - classic roast

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
edgeywood
post May 20 2009, 07:08 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 330

QUOTE(Tim @ May 19 2009, 07:53 PM) *

I love coffee - two cups every morning while reading the Dispatch online. No coffee snob, though - the grocery store stuff is fine for me.

Slow reader or fast drinker?
+Quote Post
Tim
post May 20 2009, 07:13 PM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(edgeywood @ May 20 2009, 08:08 PM) *

Slow reader or fast drinker?

Um - what?
+Quote Post
Dave
post May 20 2009, 10:13 PM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

QUOTE(Tim @ May 20 2009, 08:13 PM) *

Um - what?

I think he's suggesting that the N-D is so brief these days that if you need a second cup of coffee while you're reading it, you're either reading slow or drinking fast.

Of course online is probably slower than reading it on paper -- it seems to be down to about three pages these days on paper. But they make up for that by upping the price! blink.gif
+Quote Post
edgeywood
post May 21 2009, 07:47 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 330

QUOTE(Dave @ May 20 2009, 11:13 PM) *

I think he's suggesting that the N-D is so brief these days that if you need a second cup of coffee while you're reading it, you're either reading slow or drinking fast.

Of course online is probably slower than reading it on paper -- it seems to be down to about three pages these days on paper. But they make up for that by upping the price! blink.gif

Yeah, that's what I was getting at.
+Quote Post
Ang
post May 21 2009, 08:56 AM
Post #16

Hey, he's in Japan and they only have those teenie-tiny cups, so two should just about do it. laugh.gif laugh.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post May 21 2009, 06:04 PM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Dave @ May 20 2009, 11:13 PM) *

Oh - right. It really takes about 5 minutes tops to read what I'm interested in in the ND. Still though I truly enjoy that brief connection to my beloved hometown.
+Quote Post
Ang
post May 22 2009, 09:03 AM
Post #18

Actually, I quit reading the online N-D a long time ago. I will browse the site if there is something specific I might be looking for, but otherwise, I get most of my news and info from CBTL.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jun 6 2009, 11:40 PM
Post #19

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ May 22 2009, 10:03 AM) *

Actually, I quit reading the online N-D a long time ago. I will browse the site if there is something specific I might be looking for, but otherwise, I get most of my news and info from CBTL.

CBTL doesn't work on my cell. It's just something I browse on the way to work, though today I read about the new consessions stand thing at Washington Park. At least two or three times a week I'll read a whole article - so I like the online edition. I'm always saddened when I see the print edition when I'm in MC now - it's so tiny.

sad.gif
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jun 7 2009, 12:04 AM
Post #20

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

The ND is like the Sunday Funnies but it comes out all week long and it's in black and white. Seriously, I've gotten GREAT mileage on laughs from the ND. My own guilty pleasure. laugh.gif

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:27 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com