IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Michigan City High School Uniform Poll, Take the CBTL high school school uniform poll
Uniforms at the High School
Should the student body at Michigan City High School be required to wear standard uniforms to school?
Yes [ 8 ] ** [53.33%]
No [ 7 ] ** [46.67%]
Total Votes: 15
Guests cannot vote 
taxthedeer
post Aug 18 2010, 12:53 AM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

I vote yes, I've spoken with several parents and grandparents about this issue and they believe this should have been implemented years ago.

Please, just don't vote, tell us want you think.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Aug 18 2010, 07:54 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

I voted no. I think children should be allowed to express their individuality in public school. However, I think the schools need to enforce the dress code a little bit better. If a child is not appropriately dressed, there should be a strict code of discipline that is followed for every student by every teacher/administrator.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 18 2010, 08:24 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2

I voted yes. In this day and age, so much revolves around very simple things such as how you are dressed. Not only can it be a cause of things like Bullying, it can also be a great life lesson of how to dress appropriately for specific situations.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Aug 18 2010, 09:31 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Aug 18 2010, 09:24 AM) *

I voted yes. In this day and age, so much revolves around very simple things such as how you are dressed. Not only can it be a cause of things like Bullying, it can also be a great life lesson of how to dress appropriately for specific situations.

They have classes to teach kids that, and how to pay their bills, balance a check book, etc.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 18 2010, 09:34 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(Ang @ Aug 18 2010, 10:31 AM) *

They have classes to teach kids that, and how to pay their bills, balance a check book, etc.

Not many kids take those classes.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Aug 18 2010, 12:59 PM
Post #6

Well, then they should make them mandatory. When I went to Griffith HS, they were mandatory for Freshman. I learned how to interview for a job, dress appropriately, make a household budget, balance a check book, etc. I think it was called Life Skills, or some such thing. It was one of my favorite classes, but only was a semester long, not a full year.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 18 2010, 01:25 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Ang @ Aug 18 2010, 01:59 PM) *

Well, then they should make them mandatory. When I went to Griffith HS, they were mandatory for Freshman. I learned how to interview for a job, dress appropriately, make a household budget, balance a check book, etc. I think it was called Life Skills, or some such thing. It was one of my favorite classes, but only was a semester long, not a full year.

I wouldn't argue that, especially all of the basic financial skills.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 18 2010, 04:33 PM
Post #8

I'm actually going to pose this question on the facebook page and see what we get.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Aug 18 2010, 07:38 PM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Aug 18 2010, 09:24 AM) *

Force is never a good teacher, IMO.

I don't know a lot about this issue, but it seems I've read of the benefits of the uniform thing in a school situation. Japanese kids all wear uniforms - as that's how they've grown up it doesn't seem to bother anyone. But the Japanese are a little more "don't stand out from the crowd" so I think it works more for that mindset.

My parents - mother, really - taught me how to dress and I always looked fine at school, much to my occasional horror. Simply forcing kids to do stuff harbors resentment - which is never good.
+Quote Post
Homey
post Aug 19 2010, 07:50 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 826

I voted yes. I believe it would lessen distractions. It's a great thing for parents too...a no brainer re: shopping and worrying what the kids are going to wear every morning.

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
+Quote Post
Tim
post Aug 19 2010, 09:41 PM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Homey @ Aug 19 2010, 08:50 AM) *

I voted yes. I believe it would lessen distractions. It's a great thing for parents too...a no brainer re: shopping and worrying what the kids are going to wear every morning.

My mother would strongly disagree with that. Back-to-school time was one of her favorite times, as she'd drag me from Sears to Penneys to Carsons. Isn't deciding what kids are going to do.eat, wear, etc. part of a parent's job AS a parent?
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Aug 20 2010, 03:45 PM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(Tim @ Aug 19 2010, 10:41 PM) *

My mother would strongly disagree with that. Back-to-school time was one of her favorite times, as she'd drag me from Sears to Penneys to Carsons. Isn't deciding what kids are going to do.eat, wear, etc. part of a parent's job AS a parent?

Yes and no, Tim. Some kids will still borrow clothing from their friends, and change as soon as they're out of their parents' sight. Sure, they risk being caught, but to them, it's worth it to dress in a way they feel expresses themselves.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Aug 20 2010, 04:23 PM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(JHeath @ Aug 20 2010, 04:45 PM) *

Yes and no, Tim. Some kids will still borrow clothing from their friends, and change as soon as they're out of their parents' sight. Sure, they risk being caught, but to them, it's worth it to dress in a way they feel expresses themselves.

Um - how does that change decisions parents make? It would be my opinion that it's a parent's job to decide what a kid wears - up to a certain age anyway. Once they're out the door there's not a lot one can do - IMO.
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Aug 20 2010, 06:20 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

Voted no. It would stifle creativity and individualism. School should have a dress code and actively enforce it.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
Ang
post Aug 23 2010, 08:32 AM
Post #15

Regarding Jen & Tim's tete-a-tete....

My parents are very strong Christians, and while I went to public school, my parents regulated everything I wore. Dad didn't think girls should wear casual clothes to school and my school wardrobe consisted of skirts, dresses, slacks and blouses. No t's and jeans for me..... at least not at school anyway.

Now, being a high-schooler in the 80's that wasn't always bad cause of the fashion trend, but what my parents bought me were "church clothes," not school clothes.

That being said, we lived three blocks from St. A's, and on the way to school, I would duck into the hospital's public restroom, pull the jeans and t-shirt out of the bottom of my book bag (buried under the school books and folders), quickly change and stuff those church clothes in my bag. At school, I'd hang them up in my locker so they wouldn't wrinkle, and after school, stop at Howard's (remember them? Oh, the fries were the BEST) and change back into my approved clothing.

Yes, I was a rebel all the way back to 7th grade. laugh.gif If I had been allowed to express that one little bit of individuality, I don't think I would have been as rebellious as I was.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Yokas
post Aug 23 2010, 09:46 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 793

I voted no. I agree with Ang that showing individuality is good. The current dress code is very fair...it just isn't enforced. Enforce the dress code and allow students to wear school appropriate wear.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Aug 25 2010, 01:32 AM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

I don't get the distraction angle. Should we give all the boys military cuts and all the girls near-military cuts to avoid hair distraction? Life is full of distractions. What better place to learn how to deal with them than school?
+Quote Post
Homey
post Aug 26 2010, 01:08 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

By distractions I mean kids worrying if they have the right outfit on, the right label, trying to keep up, or being bullied by not having cool clothes. That's what I meant by distractions. Wearing a uniform, all of those types of social stigmas would be avoided. Children can show their true individualism by achieving better grades and creativity in the arts, etc. I think true and healthy competition should be displayed in a intellectual manner, not by the clothes the parents can afford. JMO

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Aug 26 2010, 03:02 PM
Post #19

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Homey @ Aug 26 2010, 02:08 PM) *

By distractions I mean kids worrying if they have the right outfit on, the right label, trying to keep up, or being bullied by not having cool clothes. That's what I meant by distractions. Wearing a uniform, all of those types of social stigmas would be avoided. Children can show their true individualism by achieving better grades and creativity in the arts, etc. I think true and healthy competition should be displayed in a intellectual manner, not by the clothes the parents can afford. JMO

I get your point - but to me that's all just prep for real life.

If memory serves from my school days if they really want to avoid distraction they'll make all the girls duct-tape their breasts flat.

laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Homey
post Aug 26 2010, 05:09 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

You may be right Tim, but in my view, kids grow up way too fast by virtue of what they are exposed to. I don't know how it is over there, but there is much more to worry about than girls boobs. How about those dudes with pants hanging around their thighs. Who wants to see what's under there? Girls with tank tops, no bras, navel piercings, tattoos, etc. I don't know if you are aware of the drop out numbers, or the kids that can't spell when they graduate, but it's really no joking matter. If the discipline isn't there, kids will go with what is "allowed" and take it a step further. I realize teens need to express themselves, but what we really need is structure in order for them to "learn" and if it's a free for all, that can't be conducive for learning. I was pretty liberal with my kids and they still rebelled...teens need to explore...but the classroom isn't the place.
Tim, you were blessed with a good family and mother who cared what you looked like when you went to school...some kids don't have the luxury of a caring family. What they experience is a living nightmare in some cases. School can be their saving grace. Bottom line, kids crave structure, rules and guidelines. They will thrive if they know what is expected of them.
Tim, they get a prep for real life on the playgrounds, downtime, movies and t.v....that should be plenty enough.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:30 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com