Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Awaken the past
Southsider2k12
post Jul 27 2010, 04:13 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I'd LOVE to see the Wolves have a special game or two a season in the throw back jerseys at the Red Devil Gym. I can promise you two things. It would be packed, and it would be loud.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2010/0...xt#blogcomments

Awaken the past

Unwritten No More
By Drew White
Sports Writer
Published: Thursday, July 22, 2010 4:14 AM CDT
Last week I was standing inside the Elston Middle School Wolfpack Gym — the former Red Devil Gym.

Looking up at the bleachers, the sunlight shining through the windows on the north side of the gym, I recollected the few games I had watched in that gym.

Being a Rogers guy, I can remember being in the stands for the final game between the Raiders and the Red Devils in the gym in 1995. I was sick to my stomach as I left the gym after Elston won 79-70.

For nostalgia’s sake, I could remember going to the final regular season game the Red Devils played in the gym, a thrilling 74-71 win over Chesterton.

Yet, as I stare at the gym that has now been transformed with a coat of blue and grey paint, I couldn’t help but think that another renovation to the gym may be just what this city needs.

We need Red Devil Gym back. Break out the red and white paint, find the drawing of the Devil and commission our best artists.

I’m in no way suggesting we change the Michigan City High School mascot back to the Red Devils. The Wolves are here to stay, but I don’t think a little help from our community’s past would hurt.

The Wolves Den — the former Rogers gymnasium which is still among the top ten largest high school gymnasiums in the United States — is and should always be home to Michigan City High School basketball teams.

Unfortunately, as it stands, we’re not going to fill the Wolves Den up until the program turns a corner.

Turning a corner involves winning and winning regularly. Turning a corner involves Duneland Conference and sectional champ-ionships.

What harm could it do to throw in a few nostalgia games on the schedule? Play in the re-done Red Devil Gym full of Michigan City fans. All of the major sports leagues have nights when their teams wear throwback uniforms. I’m sure we could get the corporate support needed to recreate Elston and Rogers uniforms of the past.

Some will come to support the Wolves, others will come to re-live the memories of times gone by. What is important is that they will be there and there would likely be few seats to be had.

While looking back on Michigan City’s past over the last week, I wonder what Andy Gill and Newt Meer would think of what has become of the athletic history of Michigan City.

I know they would applaud the efforts of those involved in creating the Michigan City High School Football Hall of Fame, of which they are becoming official inductees of today at Pottawattomie Country Club.

They would enjoy walking through Heritage Hall on the east end of the Wolves Den and would be in awe of Ames Field – field turf and all.

But there is a part of me that thinks a few tears would be shed at the makeover given to Red Devil Gym.

Let’s bring it back to life and see if we can’t bring the basketball tradition of Our Fair City back to life.

Contact sports writer Drew White at dwhite@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 447.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 08:30 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com