Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://heraldargus.com/archives/ha/display.php?id=371061

Pabon punches breaststroke ticket to state
Comment on this story

Zack Eldridge, 1-866-362-2167 Ext. 13868, zeldridge@heraldargus.com

Photo: By Wendy Thoms
Michigan City’s Nick Pabon swims in the 200- individual medley during sectionals. Pabon finished fourth in that event, but won the 100- breaststroke to qualify for state.
More photos from this shoot

LA PORTE -- The Michigan City boys swimming team has been proud of its steady improvement over the last few years. Now they have something to be more proud of.

Junior Nick Pabon won the 100-yard breaststroke to qualify for state at the La Porte Sectional Saturday, the first time since 2001 a Wolves’ swimmer has advanced downstate. Brett Warnke was the last Michigan City swimmer to make state, qualifying in the 100-yard backstroke.

Pabon placed first (1:01.67) by nearly two seconds beating Chesterton’s Sean Swibes, who finished second (1:03.44).

As a team, Michigan City earned third (161), while La Porte placed fourth (145) in the nine-team field. Chesterton claimed first (391), while Portage finished second (197). The Trojans earned first in every event except four.

“Before I was extremely nervous like all shaky on the block,” Pabon said. “Then during it I was like, ‘I think I might have it’ kind of screaming under water.”

It marked Michigan City’s highest team sectional finish since the consolidation. It recorded fourth last season.

“It’s kind of a special treat along with Nick getting his state time,” Michigan City coach Dan Jenkins said. “I was a little worried after the (individual medley) today. Everything looked good on his IM, except the breaststroke, which didn’t look good. He came back and everything looked the way it should, the stroke just looked great.”

Pabon finished fourth in the 200-yard individual medley (2:06.46).

In the diving competition, Wolves’ sophomore Justin Kramer registered third (323.40). Valparaiso junior Brody Carter won diving (341.70).

Kramer will compete in the South Bend Riley Regional Tuesday night. The top eight finishers will advance to state.

“We just have arrangements to make now for next week and maybe for Justin for diving after the regional,” Jenkins said. “That would be especially nice having two boys down there.”

Junior Joe Cogswell posted fifth in the 50-yard freestyle (23.68), while the 200-yard medley relay team of Pabon, juniors Michael Wisthoff and Kyle Dierdorf, and Cogswell placed second (1:45.91).

La Porte junior Chris Kermin earned fifth in the 100-yard freestyle (49.62) and sixth in the 100-yard backstroke (1:02.68) to help lead his team. The Slicers’ 200-yard freestyle relay team of Kermin, senior Chris Clark, sophomore Ryan Letts and sophomore Craig Levenhagen placed second (1:33.35), a little over two seconds off first-place Chesterton’s pace. The 400-yard freestyle relay team of Letts, Clark, Kermin and Levenhagen tallied second (3:25.10), too.

“We had all best times other than two, so I’m pleased, they dropped,” La Porte coach Bart Frank said. “Chris Clark and Chris Kermin, they both led the attack dropping and in the relay splits they did what they had to do.”

The Slicers did not advance anyone to state.

Clark earned fourth in the 500-yard freestyle (5:22.45) for La Porte’s highest individual finish of the day behind three Chesterton swimmers.

Letts registered sixth in the 200-yard individual medley (2:13.20) as well as seventh in the 100-yard butterfly (59.89).

La Porte’s highest finish in diving came from junior Jeremy Burgess, who placed eighth (283.70).

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:04 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com