Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Free i-Zoom passes given to legislators
JHeath
post Jun 9 2008, 01:16 PM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

I spoke with State Rep. Pelath about this. He told me that he had received one, but promptly threw it into the garbage. His response was similar to that of Rep. Dvorak...wondering who would be foolish enough to actually use it.

http://www.wndu.com/localnews/headlines/19622409.html
Free i-Zoom passes given to legislators Save Email Print

Posted: 11:13 PM Jun 6, 2008
Last Updated: 12:43 AM Jun 7, 2008
Reporter: Erin Logan
Email Address: erin.logan@wndu.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free i-Zoom passes given to legislators
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Free rides on the Indiana Toll Road?

Many Hoosiers say they could only wish, but a select group was actually mailed i-Zoom transponders that would let them drive for free.

Some of them were the same people who voted to lease the toll road, which ultimately led to increased tolls.

Even the folks who received the freebies were shocked when they checked their mailboxes.

The Australian-Spanish consortium that leased the Indiana Toll Road sent letters to all 150 legislators telling them they could use the toll road for free for work purposes.

We know 38 northern Indiana legislators also received the transponders. Some of them mailed it back and some of them tossed it in the trash.

State Representative Ryan Dvorak immediately sent a letter back to the company that leases the toll road.

He says, “I'm a taxpayer as well and should have to pay tolls as well. They said it's our understanding that it's customary for legislators to receive passes to use on official business. I checked around. I guess maybe a long time ago -- ten years ago -- the state gave a pass for state officials to use.”

In fact, Republicans who voted in favor of leasing the toll road tell us they didn't accept the pass.

State Representative Jackie Walorski of Lakeville said thanks, but no thanks.

Constituents say that was a good answer.

Eric Lax says, “It just adds up the more you use it, you know. It's just way too high. Then leasing it out to someone else just made it higher.”

State Senator Joseph Zakas of Granger sent his back in the mail. He says, "We need to live under the laws and conditions that our constituents do. I thought this was out of bounds."

Tim Mitchell says, “That never happens. That's a good thing if they're denying the free pass. That’s cool.”

State Representative Marlin Stutzman of Lagrange says, "When we voted on that, we allowed it to be used by fire police and officials like that.”

The lease agreement does point out vehicles not subject to tolls. We showed Dvorak, who says state legislators don't fall into any of those categories.

He says, “I didn't think anyone would be foolish enough to use it.”

According to the Indianapolis Star, State Representative Dick Dodge of Pleasant Lake said he did plan on using it, but he hasn’t yet.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 9 2008, 01:26 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Mr. Pelath should have given it to a worthy nonprofit group.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jun 9 2008, 01:26 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 43

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...D=2008806070464

Legislators offered free ride
Most decline toll road firm's device for using 'I-Zoom' lanes at no cost
By Mary Beth Schneider
Posted: June 7,

A Only days after cash tolls nearly doubled on the Indiana Toll Road, the private company that manages the road had a money-saving offer for state lawmakers: a free ride.

Most legislators said no thanks.

In fact, a few said they threw out the free transponder that would allow them to use the "i-Zoom" lanes without paying any tolls on the 157-mile highway across Northern Indiana.

"I'm not going to drive along paying no tolls while other people are driving along paying more," said Rep. Scott Pelath, D-Michigan City. "There's no way it could pass the mirror test."

Julia Vaughn, policy director for the citizens lobbying group Common Cause/Indiana, agreed.

"It's just stupid from a political perspective to accept this," she said.

Pelath was one of the 38 Northern Indiana legislators who were sent the free transponders by the Indiana Toll Road Concession Co. The firm manages the Toll Road for the Australian-Spanish consortium that won a 75-year lease in 2006 from the state for $3.8 billion.

Matt Pierce, director of communication and government relations for the Toll Road, said the firm sent letters offering the transponders to the rest of the state's lawmakers. The letter was dated April 18, a little more than two weeks after the tolls on the road nearly doubled.

Pierce refused to say whether any of those legislators whose districts do not include the Toll Road accepted the offer, and refused to divulge the names of any lawmaker who was sent the transponder.

Legislators, Pierce said, get many questions about the Toll Road and often have to travel it while going about their duties. The hope, he said, is that lawmakers will use the electronic tolling system and tell constituents how much easier it is than having to hand change to a toll booth operator.

"We want them to be champions for us," Pierce said.

The toll for passenger vehicles on the road from the Ohio border to the Illinois border increased April 1 to $8 from $4.65.

The lease that sets out such toll increases also freezes tolls at $4.65 for 10 years for motorists who obtain transponders for $50, which includes a $10 deposit for the transponder and $40 in prepaid tolls. The deposit is refundable if the transponder is returned in good condition.

Lawmakers are supposed to use the perk when they are on official business, Pierce said -- though the letter lawmakers received doesn't specify that.

Pierce said the firm believed the Toll Road lease required free passage for legislators. It includes a section stating that no tolls would be charged to vehicles used in firefighting or law enforcement; ambulances; vehicles with diplomatic plates; or vehicles owned or operated by the state "or any department or agency thereof."

Most lawmakers said they had never heard of such a perk, though a couple said they believed that had been done in the past. Still, the two dozen lawmakers contacted said they either pay their tolls -- or, like House Speaker B. Patrick Bauer, D-South Bend, avoid the road out of continuing anger over the lease, a deal sought by Gov. Mitch Daniels.

The House approved the lease 51-48 in March 2006, and the Senate followed suit that same month by a vote of 31-19.

With the Toll Road deal still a hot political issue, particularly in Northern Indiana, where many motorists opposed the lease, several legislators said they shouldn't be treated differently from their constituents.

"I can't imagine anyone wanting to use that," Rep. Tom Dermody, R-LaPorte, said of the free transponder. "With gas prices at $4 and the lack of jobs -- and all of a sudden you've got legislators driving for free?"

Besides, he said, if the legislature were to vote again on any aspect of the Toll Road, he didn't want questions raised about whether he was influenced by not having to pay tolls like other folks.

"I don't even know what they were thinking," Rep. Jackie Walorski, R-Lakeville, said of the Toll Road's offer. "I was so taken aback. I sent it back and said, 'Thanks, but no thanks.' "

Other lawmakers said they sent their transponders back, too. A couple said they accepted them -- but only after telling the Toll Road they wanted to be charged the same terms as other motorists.

A few of the lawmakers, though, said they either had accepted or expected to accept the offer.

Rep. Dick Dodge, R-Pleasant Lake, said he had not used the "i-Zoom" yet but planned to. Asked if he had any qualms about taking a free ride while his constituents paid, he said: "I don't think so. No."

It just isn't that big a deal, he said.

Rep. Chet Dobis, D-Merrillville, also said he planned to activate his device. Although he initially thought there would be a charge, he said he might still use it. But, he added, he seldom uses the Toll Road except to go to Illinois -- and under the terms of the Toll Road's offer to legislators, they still must pay normal tolls in other states.

Sen. Marvin D. Riegsecker, R-Goshen, said he had planned to use his transponder until a reporter asked what his constituents would think.

"Hmmm. Yeah, if you pose the question that way, I guess I'd have concerns," Riegsecker said. He said he might reconsider.

Vaughn thinks any lawmaker taking the deal should reconsider, too.

"The Toll Road is still an extremely hot topic up in the north," she said.

And, Vaughn said, the tolls are becoming steep.

Vaughn, who does not have an "i-Zoom," said she drove the Toll Road recently on a trip to Chicago and "was really struck" at the cost. She took a different route back to Indianapolis to avoid the Toll Road.

"Kudos to those legislators who recognize how inappropriate it would be to accept this gift," she said.

Call Star reporter Mary Beth Schneider at (317) 444-2772.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 9 2008, 02:08 PM
Post #4

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Hey, is it legal for them to accept this payoff from the company that holds the mortgage on the Toll Road? I know it is not kosher, but is it legal?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jun 9 2008, 03:23 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 482

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jun 9 2008, 03:08 PM) *

Hey, is it legal for them to accept this payoff from the company that holds the mortgage on the Toll Road? I know it is not kosher, but is it legal?

Good question, Roger. I wonder if State Legislators have to declare gifts from lobbyists and constituents, and if such gifts are capped.

I mean, would State Rep. Jones have to declare that he gets an annual stipend from Big Tobacco Company, Inc., after he coincidentally votes to cut taxes on cigarettes, or votes against a smoking ban in state operated buildings? Or after supporting the purchase of Acme Motor Co. sedans for the State Police, should Acme just happen to give him the use of a car, does he have to declare that publicly anywhere?

This free I-Zoom thing just reeks of payoff. Do you suppose they sent one to Mitch Daniels? And his wife, kids, parents, in-laws, etc.???

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:09 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com