Southsider2k12
post May 2 2008, 12:49 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=53450.84

Two Democrats Challenge Incumbent For State Senator
Birkholz, Spenner on ballot opposing Arnold for November general election.

Craig Davison
For The News-Dispatch

LA PORTE - Following State Senator Anita Bowser's death last year, a Democratic Party caucus narrowly chose former La Porte County Sheriff Jim Arnold to fill the vacancy over Debra Birkholz.

On Tuesday, voters in the Democratic primary can choose one of them or select teacher and licensed accountant Maxine Spenner as their nominee for state senator in District 8. The district covers portions of La Porte and St. Joseph counties.

The winner will face Republican Allen L. Stevens Jr., running unopposed in the May 6 primary, in the November general election.

All three candidates named education as a top priority.

Arnold said in his 14 months in office, he's proven to be someone who can work on both sides of the aisle. He said while he was in the senate minority and worked during a short session, he was pleased to have authored two bills that have become law.

"I will be accountable, I will be accessible and I will be visible," Arnold said. "I've prepared for this. I know what it takes. I understand the legislative process." He said next year will be important for whoever holds the senate seat because it is a budget year.

Birkholz, retired from NIPSCO, was a president of a local steelworkers union for 13 years and lobbied at the statehouse for 20 years.

Birkholz said students need to be kept in schools and taught valuable work skills. She said teachers need to be allowed to teach more to the students than what is needed to pass standardized tests. She said creating a stronger work force will help bring better jobs to the community.

"We have to have a work ready force to go," she said.

Spenner said she was a friend of Bowser and the former state senator told her she would be knowledgeable and up to the task. Spenner said she is unhappy with high taxes and government waste.

"I think we're overtaxed," she said. "I think prices are too high."

Spenner also wants to help veterans more and cut the cost of Medicaid. She said its important to make sure people can fulfill their basic needs.

Craig Davison is a reporter for the La Porte Herald-Argus.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JHeath
post May 7 2008, 08:10 AM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

Congratulations to Jim Arnold, as he moves on to the general election this fall.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=36903.03

5/7/2008 12:40:00 AM
Arnold Will Face Stevens For State Senate
Craig Davison
For The News-Dispatch

LA PORTE - Jim Arnold was named the Democratic nominee Tuesday for Indiana state senator representing District 8 in this fall's election.

District 8 includes portions of La Porte and St. Joseph counties.

Arnold, who was appointed by a party caucus following State Sen. Anita Bowser's death last year, received 16,330 votes, or 58.9 percent of the vote. He ran against former United Steelworkers union president Debra Birkholz, who received 9,549 votes, or 34.4 percent of the vote, and political newcomer Maxine Spenner, a friend of Bower's, received 1,858 votes, or 6.7 percent of the vote.

"It's pretty hard to describe how I feel," Arnold said Tuesday night. "I was just hoping to win."

Arnold said he plans to keep his campaign focused on the issues and the needs of his constituents.

"You run for office for what you think you can do for the people," he said. "I'm so happy my family and my campaign team did exactly that."

The winner will face Republican Allen L. Stevens Jr., who ran unopposed in the Republican primary, in November.

Spenner said she wanted to represent real people and give seniors a voice. She called Arnold to congratulate him Tuesday.

"I appreciate the people that voted for me," Spenner said. "I did my best. That's all you can do."

Craig Davison is a reporter for The La Porte Herald-Argus.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 7 2008, 08:11 AM
Post #3

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Good for Mr Arnold, he seems to be off to a good start downstate.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:42 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com