IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Winski wants Oberlie's job, http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/2007/02/23/news/n2.txt
JHeath
post Feb 23 2007, 10:12 AM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

Winski wants Oberlie's job

By Deborah Sederberg, The News-Dispatch
Three City Council members attended Joie Winski's coming-out party as a Democratic candidate for mayor Thursday at the St. Joseph Young Men's Society hall.

Pat Boy, Phil Jankowski and Paul Przybylinski all attended the event.

“I came to see what she had to say,” councilwoman Pat Boy said. “She's a good friend.”

Jankowski, who has proposed using riverboat money for property tax relief, said he likes Winski's support for tax relief. Saying he likely will vote for Winski, Jankowski noted, “I don't necessarily agree with everything the mayor does.”

To a crowd of about 100 people, including about a dozen children, Winski promised leadership.

“I will bring the leadership to attract economic development to our city, and I won't say ‘no' to retail,” she said.

She upbraided Mayor Chuck Oberlie for not aggressively pursuing the Bass Pro Shop that opened this week in Portage, bringing with it 300 jobs.

She also criticized Oberlie for “no progress in years” on the North Side.

“Now, because of lack of leadership, the Chamber of Commerce has had to step in with their plans,” she said. “Yet another group and another plan - realizing that our downtown has stagnated under the lack of leadership of this mayor's leadership,” added Winski, who served two terms on the City Council from 1995 to 2003.

She also chided the administration for the Board of Zoning Appeal's approval of an affordable housing development near Michigan City High School after the City Council voted against approving it.

“Our city is years behind our counterparts - LaPorte, New Buffalo, Chesterton, Valparaiso and let's not forget Portage,” Winski said. “Jobs are plentiful, and progress is evident in these thriving communities.”

As a member of the Property Tax Board of Appeals, Winski said, “I know something about property taxes. As your mayor, I'll lobby the state senate and house for tax relief. It's imperative that we reduce our dependency on property taxes.”

Taking the podium to a standing ovation, Winski received frequent bursts of applause during her speech.

Joe Ramion, Michigan City Public Library board president, said he supports Winski's candidacy because “she's innovative. She'll come up with a pretty good platform and stick with it.”

Winski said voters will hear more about her platform in the time leading up to the May primary.

When asked, she confessed to not being familiar enough with the park department's master plan to discuss it in detail.

“I can tell you that from what I've heard,” she said, “some of it I like and some of it I don't.”

She suggested looking at other cities to see how they have developed their lakefront.

“I don't mean residential development,” she added.

Winski would like to see the present park office razed and rebuilt as a building of several stories with room for a restaurant and park offices. The park office is located just north of the Jaycee stage, east of the main Washington Park parking lot.

Przybylinski, second ward councilman, said people should vote for Winski because she would be a leader.

“She said it all in her speech,” he said. “We need leadership.”

Some Democrats have suggested Przybylinski might be considering a run for mayor, but he said Thursday he will file to run for the council today.

In addition to Oberlie, Jim LaRocco is a candidate for mayor.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 23 2007, 10:31 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I was invited to, and did attend, Winski's annoucement last night. I did feel she really hit a few things right on the head. I did also get about 10-15 minutes to talk to Joie after the event, and am really excited about some of the things she has to say so far. I am really looking forward to hearing the details of their platform as they emerge.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Feb 23 2007, 10:44 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 10

I've always liked Joie and thought she had some real good ideas. So far as I can tell, she is the best candidate for Mayor at this point--in my opinion anyway.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 28 2007, 01:02 PM
Post #4

http://heraldargus.com/archives/ha/display.php?id=371654

Winski critical of Oberlie in announcing mayoral run

MICHIGAN CITY -- Four years after losing the Michigan City mayoral race to Chuck Oberlie, Joie Winski is trying her hand again -- and she’s holding back no punches.

“After three years it has become painfully clear that the lack of leadership and lack of vision have been detrimental to the progress of our city,” Winski said in a recent campaign kick-off announcement.

Winski, 56, officer manager at La Porte County Appraisal Service, said under Oberlie’s leadership things aren’t getting done. She pointed to the city’s east side, where she said nothing has been done to improve the quality of life.

The city’s north side, she said, has failed to blossom with redevelopment.

“Study after study by the city has been done at great expense to the citizens without any action. Group after group has made suggestions. Now, because of a lack of leadership the Michigan City Area Chamber of Commerce has had to step in with their plans,” she said in the press release.

When considering the towns around Michigan City, Winski said the city is behind La Porte, New Buffalo, Chesterton, Valparaiso and Portage in terms of economic development. Contrary to Oberlie’s declaration last week in his State of the City speech that 400 jobs were created in Michigan City last year, Winski argued that the city is still down 200 jobs, although she didn’t say from when.

“We deserve better. If (Chesterton and Valparaiso) are successful, there won’t be any reason for people to shop in Michigan City anymore. How many more businesses and jobs do we have to lose before we ask the question once again: ‘Where is the leadership?’”

Winski, a member of the Property Tax Board of Appeals, said property taxes continue to plague Michigan City residents.

“The citizens of our city have suffered. People on fixed incomes have lost their homes. Home values have dropped. As your mayor, I’ll lobby the state Senate and House for tax relief. It’s imperative that we reduce our dependency on property taxes.”

Winski said she would bring back pride that’s been missing in the community.

“I have a goal to improve the quality of life, to build together and bring forth the vitality that has been dormant ... We have all the tools and the only thing missing is leadership and direction.”

Winski is married with three children. She is a member of the Lions Club and a Swanson Center board member.

+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Feb 28 2007, 03:09 PM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

I would like to see more in-depth stuff from her.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Feb 28 2007, 03:43 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 10

One nice thing about her is she stands at your level, not above you like some of the other elected officials in MC. She looks you straight in the eye when she talks to you and if she doesn't understand what you mean, she'll ask you to clarify instead of just flubbing an answer or tell you what she thinks you want to hear.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 3 2007, 01:32 PM
Post #7

FYI, I did get to see a preview of the presentation, and it is pretty impressive. It is definately something different and innovative.

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200...03/news/n10.txt

POLITICAL NOTEBOOK

A new date has been announced by mayoral candidate Joie Winski to show a vision of Michigan City's future.

The announcement will be at 4:30 p.m. Monday, April 9, at the Winski for Mayor headquarters, 801 Washington St.

Winski said this is the first in a series of presentations on her platform.

“This presentation will feature a future that doesn't depend on riverboats or malls,” she said in a press release. “You will see how a public/private venture can erase the blight of our downtown until a town center emerges second to none.”

+Quote Post
Max Main
post Apr 4 2007, 09:34 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 90

sounds interesting...
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 4 2007, 04:14 PM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

I have seen this presentation a few times in its entirety. I may be a bit biased since Joie is closely related to me, but it really is amazing to see what our town has the potential to be, rather than leaving it as is.
+Quote Post
5thGen
post Apr 4 2007, 10:01 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 185

QUOTE(JHeath @ Apr 4 2007, 04:14 PM) *

I have seen this presentation a few times in its entirety. I may be a bit biased since Joie is closely related to me, but it really is amazing to see what our town has the potential to be, rather than leaving it as is.

If you do infact know her, please suggest she updates her website - her April 9th meeting is not on there, and I went there to confirm it. So, if she is still having this forum, it should be listed on there. Thanks.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 5 2007, 08:28 AM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(5thGen @ Apr 4 2007, 11:01 PM) *

If you do infact know her, please suggest she updates her website - her April 9th meeting is not on there, and I went there to confirm it. So, if she is still having this forum, it should be listed on there. Thanks.

Thanks, I'll make sure to let the webmaster know.
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Apr 5 2007, 11:31 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 90

for ppl like me, could you provide the web site for this?
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 5 2007, 11:54 AM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

Max, I'd be glad to oblige your request.
I'm sure that her site will be updated to include a few events throughout the day today.

www.votewinski.com
+Quote Post
5thGen
post Apr 5 2007, 03:06 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 185

QUOTE(JHeath @ Apr 5 2007, 11:54 AM) *

Max, I'd be glad to oblige your request.
I'm sure that her site will be updated to include a few events throughout the day today.

www.votewinski.com

It is updated now, and I really appreciate it! Thanks for the help. I didn't know about the Wednesday night question/answer period. I will be there if I can make it back into town in time! smile.gif
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 9 2007, 11:33 AM
Post #15

Really Comfortable

Just a reminder of her presentation this afternoon.

A new date has been announced by mayoral candidate Joie Winski to show a vision of Michigan City's future.

The announcement will be at 4:30 p.m. Monday, April 9, at the Winski for Mayor headquarters, 801 Washington St.

Winski said this is the first in a series of presentations on her platform.

“This presentation will feature a future that doesn't depend on riverboats or malls,” she said in a press release. “You will see how a public/private venture can erase the blight of our downtown until a town center emerges second to none.”
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:20 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com