> A Day in the LIfe, your chance to see a teachers day
Southsider2k12
post Oct 28 2008, 12:17 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=40260.19

MICHIGAN CITY - The Michigan City Education Association will hold "A Day in the Life," giving members of the public an opportunity to shadow a teacher for a day.

Anyone interested should contact Liz Schreeg by Nov. 12 at 873-2096, Ext. 6438, or e-mail eschreeg@mcas.k12.in.us.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 28 2008, 01:41 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Sounds like fun. I think an algebra class would be interesting.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
krk
post Oct 28 2008, 09:55 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 817

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Oct 28 2008, 01:17 PM) *

This should be a requirement for every parent with students in the system.
+Quote Post
southyards
post Oct 28 2008, 10:09 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 783

Amen to that !!]
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 29 2008, 06:43 AM
Post #5

I'm not going in on that day (I only have two days off for the rest of the year), but I am working it out to go in on a different day and talk to some of the HS economics classes about what I do, and how the markets work. Being married to a teacher, I can tell you that you don't appreciate how much work they do outside of the classroom. The people who point to the summers off and such, don't realize that the 12-16 hour days don't happen in the only classroom, but in their offices after hours, in their homes, etc. Work for them doesn't stop because the final bell rings. My wife was up until 11pm last night finishing up her grading.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 29 2008, 08:49 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 10

My friend is a teacher too and I sympathize with BioTeach. My friend lives in City and teaches in Elkhart. Imagine that commute every day, on top of grading papers, preparing lessons & assignments, spending time after school helping students, extra-curricular activities... the list goes on.
Southsider is right when he says that a teacher's job isn't from the first bell to the last bell. Their job is continuous. They might get a few hours break to sleep, but they can't just punch out and go home like everyone else. They "work" when they're at the grocery store, when they go to the movies, if they shop at the mall, eat at a restaurant, wherever they go in public, teachers are working.
And I think that people need to take advantage of A Day in the Life. It might help them to understand the stressful jobs teachers have. The constant interruptions, children who are not prepared for the day, fights, lack of respect from children. But also, it would help them to understand why the teachers continue to do what they do, despite their working conditions. They will see the light come behind a child's eyes when they finally understand, they will see a child who says, "Thank You Teacher for being a special part of my life" They will see how the teachers are mentors and role models and how a child thrives on that. And maybe, just maybe, the community would understand.

Teachers are the sunshine for the flowers of the mind.

Let's never forget that.
Support your Teachers!
Spend a Day in the Life of a teacher, even if you don't have school aged children.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 30 2008, 09:47 AM
Post #7

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=42682.64

Day in the Life offered again

By Phyllis Stark
Partners In Education

Think back to how you spent your days in elementary, middle and high school. Ever wonder how much things may have changed since the time you graduated? We may have the experience you have been looking for.

The Michigan City Education Association is offering community members the opportunity to shadow a teacher for a day and experience what Michigan City students and teachers experience every school day. Guests can experience "A Day in the Life" of a Michigan City Area Schools teacher and student.

On Nov. 19 during National Education Week, guests will shadow host teachers for a day. Community guests will arrive at their assigned school when the teacher day starts, spend a full day or half-day working with the teacher - including lunch and leave when the teacher's day ends.

MCEA developed this opportunity last year as a way to give community members a small glimpse into what education is like in today's classroom. We are hoping the 2008 Day in the Life program will be heavily attended.

We are in the age of educational standards, increased accountability and increased student needs. For many of us, school today looks very different from when we were the students. Due to the challenges of today's educational system, it's hard to truly understand the time, effort, professional development and expertise essential to running a successful classroom without experiencing it first hand. We hope that we may have created that experience.

Information on this program has been presented to the community. MCEA has asked for teachers to volunteer to host a community member in their classroom. We have also sent invitations asking community members to come spend the day in our schools. Finally, we will also be sharing the day with you, our reader, in one of our upcoming Partners in Education columns.

We are so excited to be able to share this event with the community. We know that it is opportunities like these that really develop partnership between teachers, parents and community members and will open healthy dialogs that will help to move our schools in the right direction.

Partners in Education is sponsored by the Michigan City Education Association. Phyllis Stark is the president of the MCEA and a teacher at Michigan City High School.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 30 2008, 10:48 AM
Post #8

If I remember correctly, last year the guests were nearly all members of the MC nomenklatura. I hope that this year there are more sneakers and fewer wingtips (at least by proportion: Big numbers of both would be best.).

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 30 2008, 10:50 AM
Post #9

This year there is a general invitation out to the entire community. They didn't know what to expect with it being the first event last year. This year they know a little better, especially after the VERY disappointing turnout from the people that were invited.
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Oct 30 2008, 11:13 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 546

I have submitted a request...

Eric Hanke

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 18 2008, 01:55 PM
Post #11

Tomorrow is the big day, anyone going?
+Quote Post
edgeywood
post Nov 19 2008, 06:03 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 330

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Nov 18 2008, 01:55 PM) *

Tomorrow is the big day, anyone going?

I spent the day in the 2nd grade at Edgewood School. Elementary school is waaaay different now than when I went to school...all for the better! Seems like 2nd graders are required to know lots more now. (I don't remember learning negative numbers in 2nd grade!)

I was impressed with the organization and the planning that goes into the class. Anyone who thinks this is an easy job needs to spend a day with a teacher.

and...if you go by the restaurant violation thread, it's one of the safest places to eat in the city!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 15 2008, 08:10 AM
Post #13

So I finally got my "day in the life" at MCHS. I actually was lucky enough to get asked to speak to the Economics classes and give them a little bit more information on the financial markets, as they are in the middle of their stock market project. I had a great time. The kids were nothing but respectful. I actually taught them about some advanced financial products, and they followed it up with very intelligent questions, meaning that at least conceptually they understood what I was talking about. I actually would love to do it again sometime.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 15 2008, 09:49 AM
Post #14

I think I would like to go into a third grade class and teach them all to do long division.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tom Burns
post Dec 15 2008, 02:33 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 827

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Dec 15 2008, 08:10 AM) *

So I finally got my "day in the life" at MCHS. I actually was lucky enough to get asked to speak to the Economics classes and give them a little bit more information on the financial markets, as they are in the middle of their stock market project. I had a great time. The kids were nothing but respectful. I actually taught them about some advanced financial products, and they followed it up with very intelligent questions, meaning that at least conceptually they understood what I was talking about. I actually would love to do it again sometime.

Any thoughts on the 09 economy you care to share and on the various markets of securities?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 15 2008, 08:09 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(Tom Burns @ Dec 15 2008, 02:33 PM) *

Any thoughts on the 09 economy you care to share and on the various markets of securities?

How much time do you have? laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Tom Burns
post Dec 16 2008, 04:37 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Dec 15 2008, 08:09 PM) *

How much time do you have? laugh.gif

Since I absorbed a three hour presentation from a U of C faculty member the other night, how could I offer you less? That
is of course contingent on there being appropriate comfort breaks included.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 16 2008, 07:07 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(Tom Burns @ Dec 16 2008, 04:37 AM) *

Since I absorbed a three hour presentation from a U of C faculty member the other night, how could I offer you less? That

Very interesting. I would imagine that you had the luck to take in a lecture from a fellow Friedmanite? I actually would be incredibly facinated to hear one of those guys talk at this particular moment in history, because a lot of the theory they have expounded on for years is getting blamed for this crisis in the mainstream right now, even though I don't really agree with that blame. How much talk did regulation and Sarbane's Oxley get?
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 16 2008, 08:00 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(Tom Burns @ Dec 16 2008, 04:37 AM) *

May I suggest the Fireman's Friend so we do not interrupt SSider?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tom Burns
post Dec 16 2008, 08:21 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Dec 16 2008, 07:07 AM) *

Very interesting. I would imagine that you had the luck to take in a lecture from a fellow Friedmanite? I actually would be incredibly facinated to hear one of those guys talk at this particular moment in history, because a lot of the theory they have expounded on for years is getting blamed for this crisis in the mainstream right now, even though I don't really agree with that blame. How much talk did regulation and Sarbane's Oxley get?

In answer to your question, those items received only a moderate amount of time. The speaker cited was one of the three panelists at this year's U of C economic forecast luncheon earlier this month. I am waiting for the business school to publish its summary, usually on their web site by now, but not there when I checked again earlier this morning. The only summary I have seen was from a Chicago TV station and I think that summary reflects your comments about the main stream media not having a great deal of understanding of economics.

To digress, are you aware some faculty in the arts at the university is protesting naming the proposed research center there for Milton Friedman?.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:48 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com