post Sep 28 2009, 06:32 PM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

Local Black Expo chapter trying to reach new members

Alicia Ebaugh
Staff Writer

MICHIGAN CITY - Members of the Michigan City chapter of the Indiana Black Expo thought having a meeting during Sunday's Chicago Bears football game was a great way to reach new members.

Turns out they were right.

The group held a meet and greet Sunday afternoon at Reilly's Sports Bar and Grill, giving away free drink tickets and free appetizers to people who signed up as they watched the game.

"We just wanted a chance to invite people out to familiarize themselves with what the Black Expo does, and we've gotten a few new members because of it," said state Rep. Scott Pelath, D-Michigan City, who is also the secretary for the group's board of directors. "It's a great place to enjoy the atmosphere and talk to us."

The group is a local branch of the Indiana Black Expo, which is a community service organization dedicated to the social and economic advancement of African-Americans and encouraging cultural diversity. It's only been in Michigan City for three years, said founding member Clarence Brown, but it has already done some great things.

"We give scholarships every year, and we helped sponsor the back-to-school rally this year," Brown said.

It also co-sponsored the city's first Steppers Ball last fall, a night of dancing.

New member Rose Adams, 36, came to the meet and greet Sunday with her sister-in-law, who was already a member, to support the organization.

"They do really good things," Adams said. "I know younger generation people like me need to become involved in the positive activities the Black Expo does, because we're the ones who will need to carry on the work. I'm going to try to get my kids involved, too."

Anyone who wants to learn more about Black Expo can visit its office inside the offices of the Minority Health Coalition of La Porte County at Marquette Mall, said board member Albertine Allen. Allen, the health coalition's director, donated the space for their use.

I'm all for advancing any group of people, but I wonder what would happen if there was an Indiana White Expo. It just seems to me that any group with "Black" in the title promotes racial segregation.

Thoughts?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Sep 28 2009, 09:25 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(Tim @ Sep 28 2009, 07:32 PM) *

Local Black Expo chapter trying to reach new members

Alicia Ebaugh
Staff Writer

MICHIGAN CITY - Members of the Michigan City chapter of the Indiana Black Expo thought having a meeting during Sunday's Chicago Bears football game was a great way to reach new members.

Turns out they were right.

The group held a meet and greet Sunday afternoon at Reilly's Sports Bar and Grill, giving away free drink tickets and free appetizers to people who signed up as they watched the game.

"We just wanted a chance to invite people out to familiarize themselves with what the Black Expo does, and we've gotten a few new members because of it," said state Rep. Scott Pelath, D-Michigan City, who is also the secretary for the group's board of directors. "It's a great place to enjoy the atmosphere and talk to us."

The group is a local branch of the Indiana Black Expo, which is a community service organization dedicated to the social and economic advancement of African-Americans and encouraging cultural diversity. It's only been in Michigan City for three years, said founding member Clarence Brown, but it has already done some great things.

"We give scholarships every year, and we helped sponsor the back-to-school rally this year," Brown said.

It also co-sponsored the city's first Steppers Ball last fall, a night of dancing.

New member Rose Adams, 36, came to the meet and greet Sunday with her sister-in-law, who was already a member, to support the organization.

"They do really good things," Adams said. "I know younger generation people like me need to become involved in the positive activities the Black Expo does, because we're the ones who will need to carry on the work. I'm going to try to get my kids involved, too."

Anyone who wants to learn more about Black Expo can visit its office inside the offices of the Minority Health Coalition of La Porte County at Marquette Mall, said board member Albertine Allen. Allen, the health coalition's director, donated the space for their use.

I'm all for advancing any group of people, but I wonder what would happen if there was an Indiana White Expo. It just seems to me that any group with "Black" in the title promotes racial segregation.

Thoughts?

With somebody like Scott Pelath on the board of directors, serving as the secretary according to article. Hard to say they are promoting racial segregation. I was invited and did attend. With both my parents coming from Ireland I can assure you I am not black. So as for a group that is very inclusive, I have no problem with it. For crying out loud on March 17th everybody is Irish, should we quit celbrating St. Paddy's Day because it promotes racial segregation? In Chicago I belonged to the "Irish American Heritage Center" an Irish social club that promotes our heritage. I know of Italian, Polish, German, Serbian, ....... all Social Clubs or private "White" groups. None of these groups have ever been accused of promoting racial segregation.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Sep 28 2009, 09:43 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

I'm certainly not Irish on March 17th.

I understand your point, but my point remains that a Indiana White Expo would not go over well. An expo -

" dedicated to the social and economic advancement of Caucasians"

I don't know - but it's my feeling that the Al Sharptons of the world would go nuts over this.
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Sep 29 2009, 05:53 AM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Tim @ Sep 28 2009, 10:43 PM) *

I'm certainly not Irish on March 17th.

I understand your point, but my point remains that a Indiana White Expo would not go over well. An expo -

" dedicated to the social and economic advancement of Caucasians"

I don't know - but it's my feeling that the Al Sharptons of the world would go nuts over this.

Indiana has White Expo...... goes by the name of KKK
+Quote Post
joe.black
post Sep 29 2009, 06:07 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 865

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Sep 29 2009, 05:53 AM) *

Indiana has White Expo...... goes by the name of KKK

So, the Black Expo is the African American equivalent of the KKK? Sure you want to go down that road?
+Quote Post
Mack
post Sep 29 2009, 07:11 AM
Post #6

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 947

When demography is taken into consideration are not the VAST majority of towns in our state
" dedicated to the social and economic advancement of Caucasians"?
If you take out the two metro areas what would you call it?
+Quote Post
Homey
post Sep 29 2009, 10:08 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 826

I think anytime a group forms to improve their image, education or economical status for positive advancement is always a good idea.
That being said, I think I understand where Tim is coming from. While this group is working towards a goal, there are some programs that cater to a more exclusive group, ie, BET, Music Awards, Miss Black America and a few others. Miss America pagents are open to all and we've had a few AA winners, and the Grammy's are open to all as well. This is what I don't get.

Scott Pelath is a good guy and tries to cover his area as best he can.

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
+Quote Post
Tim
post Sep 29 2009, 04:11 PM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Mack @ Sep 29 2009, 08:11 AM) *

When demography is taken into consideration are not the VAST majority of towns in our state
" dedicated to the social and economic advancement of Caucasians"?
If you take out the two metro areas what would you call it?

So, are you saying you think an Indiana White Expo would be looked upon in the same way the Indiana Black Expo is?
+Quote Post
Mack
post Sep 29 2009, 04:22 PM
Post #9

Getting Comfortable

I regularly read quite a few blog sites...Huff post..Daily KOS. I also read Real Clear Politics and Human Events.. and I can tell you that this discussion could not be had on those sites without MASSIVE swearing and name calling.

I have lurked on this site for some time before joining and would like to say KUDOS to all for your ability to address sensitive issues in an adult, respectful and intelligent manner.

As a black man I may see things from a different point of view but it is refreshing to see that views can be expressed on a local web site without the mean spirited hateful type discourse that you see EVERYWHERE.

I will have more on this subject shortly but once again thanks for the site and the civil conversation on sensitive issues.
Laporte County needs it!!!!

Mike Mack
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Sep 29 2009, 08:05 PM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(joe.black @ Sep 29 2009, 07:07 AM) *

So, the Black Expo is the African American equivalent of the KKK? Sure you want to go down that road?

Absolutly not. As I said in an earlier post, Black Expo is very inclusive. The question came back to me in the great "what if" phrase. Maybe a better answer to the "what if" Would have been. If a group called White Expo opened their doors to all races as does Black Expo. Then no, the Al Sharpton's of the world would probably not become crazed.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Sep 30 2009, 12:56 AM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Sep 29 2009, 09:05 PM) *

Absolutly not. As I said in an earlier post, Black Expo is very inclusive. The question came back to me in the great "what if" phrase. Maybe a better answer to the "what if" Would have been. If a group called White Expo opened their doors to all races as does Black Expo. Then no, the Al Sharpton's of the world would probably not become crazed.

You pose a reasonable argument - and I didn't realize the Indiana Black Expo was as open as it obviously is. I still feel, however, that calling anything the WHITE.... would set off Al Sharpton. The White Miss America?

Come on.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 30 2009, 07:13 AM
Post #12

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Mack @ Sep 29 2009, 05:22 PM) *

I regularly read quite a few blog sites...Huff post..Daily KOS. I also read Real Clear Politics and Human Events.. and I can tell you that this discussion could not be had on those sites without MASSIVE swearing and name calling.

I have lurked on this site for some time before joining and would like to say KUDOS to all for your ability to address sensitive issues in an adult, respectful and intelligent manner.

As a black man I may see things from a different point of view but it is refreshing to see that views can be expressed on a local web site without the mean spirited hateful type discourse that you see EVERYWHERE.

I will have more on this subject shortly but once again thanks for the site and the civil conversation on sensitive issues.

Mike Mack

Welcome to the site! I do try to keep rule #1 as being respectful to each other. So far, so good!
+Quote Post
Tim
post Sep 30 2009, 05:17 PM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Mack @ Sep 29 2009, 05:22 PM) *

Mike Mack

Hi Mike - I also say welcome! No reason people can't discuss this without turning into jerks about it. I realize my view of the situation might be controversial, but any time I bring it up no one can ever tell me how the Miss Black America Pageant isn't racist.

So I'm interested, with all due respect, in your view. Would you find something called The Miss White America Pageant racially offensive?

Looking forward to your response -

Tim Miller
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Sep 30 2009, 09:12 PM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Tim @ Sep 30 2009, 06:17 PM) *

Hi Mike - I also say welcome! No reason people can't discuss this without turning into jerks about it. I realize my view of the situation might be controversial, but any time I bring it up no one can ever tell me how the Miss Black America Pageant isn't racist.

So I'm interested, with all due respect, in your view. Would you find something called The Miss White America Pageant racially offensive?

Looking forward to your response -

Tim Miller

Tim, we have been accused of being civil towards each other. Well I will show them a thing or two. I am going to show you my not so civil side! I am going to the new FAT & FLUFFY PANCAKE HOUSE (with real butter) "SOPHIES". I am going to order the big stack, two eggs(order two & they give you four)and sausage llinks(they are huge and tasty) Plus I am going to bring Jenny H to photograph the event. Then I am going to post it all on CBTL! HA!
+Quote Post
RedDevilMC
post Sep 30 2009, 10:22 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 39

Historically speaking.....

The reason so many organizations have Colored or Black in the names is because Black people were excluded from pageants, clubs, etc. etc. All of these were legal names that never changed. Even though many of these things are now integrated there still are disparities. There wasn't a need to call anything White in the organization names because they were only available to White people. The Civil Rights Movement and segregation gave birth to these organization names. Also, historically speaking most organizations with Black or Colored in the name had the support of White people who helped in creating another avenue for Black people.

I don't think anyone should be offended by it. Our society created this separate but equal crap. The country isn't ready for total equality amongst races even with a 1/2 Black and 1/2 White President. People call him Black. Its crazy since his dad is African and his mom was a White American...... so he's just Black....the math doesn't work. He is American.

Anyway, I don't see any harm in any of it. (All of you English and Grammar fanatics....please excuse me, I'm just an engineer....I write in formulas)!
+Quote Post
Tim
post Oct 1 2009, 02:01 AM
Post #16

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(RedDevilMC @ Sep 30 2009, 11:22 PM) *

I don't think anyone should be offended by it.

Would that be on both sides of the color line? Miss White America Pageant - okay?
+Quote Post
Tim
post Oct 1 2009, 02:59 AM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Sep 30 2009, 10:12 PM) *

Tim, we have been accused of being civil towards each other. Well I will show them a thing or two. I am going to show you my not so civil side! I am going to the new FAT & FLUFFY PANCAKE HOUSE (with real butter) "SOPHIES". I am going to order the big stack, two eggs(order two & they give you four)and sausage llinks(they are huge and tasty) Plus I am going to bring Jenny H to photograph the event. Then I am going to post it all on CBTL! HA!

Look up "heartless" in the dictionary - you'll see your picture.

*cries*
+Quote Post
RedDevilMC
post Oct 1 2009, 08:55 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 39

Here we go...Miss America exluded Black people for years so a Miss Black America was created. The Miss Black America Pageant hardly exists anymore because of the inclusiveness. So again, who cares. I don't. Using "Black" was due to the times and history of America. There never had to be a White anything. I guess, I will leave this alone since I teach my children on how to be Americans and how they will have to deal with idiots (both Black and White) who will discriminate or be hateful no matter what. Done with this thread.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Oct 1 2009, 03:35 PM
Post #19

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(RedDevilMC @ Oct 1 2009, 09:55 AM) *

Here we go...Miss America exluded Black people for years so a Miss Black America was created. The Miss Black America Pageant hardly exists anymore because of the inclusiveness. So again, who cares. I don't. Using "Black" was due to the times and history of America. There never had to be a White anything. I guess, I will leave this alone since I teach my children on how to be Americans and how they will have to deal with idiots (both Black and White) who will discriminate or be hateful no matter what. Done with this thread.

Yep -this is the point a lot of people wave their hands over their heads as they run away because they can't bring themselves to say yes, The Miss Black America Pageant is racist.

Let's look at how dictionary.com defines racism -

racĀ·ism (rā'sĭz'əm) n.

1.The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

By only being open to young black girls, the Miss Black America Pageant does indeed discriminate by race.

What would you say to your children if they asked why this pageant was only open to black girls?
+Quote Post
Mack
post Oct 1 2009, 07:55 PM
Post #20

Getting Comfortable

"I realize my view of the situation might be controversial, but any time I bring it up no one can ever tell me how the Miss Black America Pageant isn't racist.

Looking forward to your response - "

I am in the camp with red devil MC. There was a reason that these organizations were created. On some date the Miss America pageant began allowing everyone to be a part of the show. Was that the same date that the underling reason for the exclusion went away?

With all due respect if whites were to create a "named" all white organization the word or the feeling of the non whites would not be "offended or offensive". Most whites and non whites would be fearful of whats going to happen next.

Are you really saying that the underling logic for having a Miss Black America pageant is the same as the underling logic that denied them entry into the regular pageant? Definition #1 of racism uses the term racial superiority.
I would say that a belief that blacks believe in the inherent inferiority of whites is disingenuous. Visa versa is where the real argument lies.

BET is owned by a white man...and I would bet my last dime that a white female could be in the Miss Black America pageant if she wanted...Mariah Cary would be my choice (Is she white?? huh.gif ) I would challenge the assumption that they are EXCLUDED...They may not promote entry but I guarantee they do not deny based on race.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:35 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com