IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> State of Michigan Bans Texting While Driving, Mind your P's and Q's up in the Wolverine state
taxthedeer
post Jun 29 2010, 11:30 AM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

Also a friendly warning for motorcyle riders, Michigan as a universal helmet law, which means everybody has to wear one. Fines differ depending on county, in Berrien County the fine is $130.00 (I found out the hard way last summer. blush.gif)

http://www.toledoonthemove.com/news/story.aspx?id=475749

Michigan texting while driving ban begins Thursday

LANSING, Mich. (AP) - Drivers across Michigan are being encouraged to keep their "Thumbs on the Wheel."

The Michigan Office of Highway Safety Planning on Monday kicked off the campaign using billboards, posters and a public service announcement featuring talking thumbs. Michigan's ban on texting while driving takes effect Thursday.

Billboards put up around the state remind drivers to hold off on text messaging, carrying the phrase text back later ("txt back L8R") and one of two accompanying messages: "OR PAY $100" or "IT'S THE LAW."

A first offense will cost $100 and repeat offenses will cost $200. Texting will be a primary offense under Michigan's law, meaning police can pull over motorists solely for using phones to send text messages.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 29 2010, 01:45 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

I've often wondered how are they going to know that's what you're doing? You'd have to have the phone up above the window for the cops to know you're texting.

Personally, I don't TWD (text while driving) because it IS dangerous, but if I did, I don't think I'd be holding the phone up that high while I'm doing it. So, if my phone is in my lap, and I've got one hand on the wheel, how are they going to know that's what I'm doing? Are they going to pull me over because they THINK I'm texting?

Just curious how they plan to enforce this.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jun 29 2010, 05:20 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

I don't do texting on my cellphone, but I just had a thought -- do any cellphones have voice recognition for texting?
+Quote Post
Homey
post Jul 1 2010, 03:00 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 826

Some do Dave. I think you could tell if someone's texting if their eyes are looking down and not straight ahead. I've seen it and it's plain as day. I wonder when Indiana will pass the same type of law?

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
+Quote Post
Yokas
post Jul 5 2010, 08:09 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 793

Probably most adults don't text while driving...we realize how dangerous that can be. But I know that the "younger set" is texting while they drive. I wish that Indiana would pass a law banning that. And I also agree with Ang, how do you enforce that?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:39 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com