Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=42778.76

School Board incumbents voted out

Deborah Sederberg
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - An endorsement from the Michigan City Area Chamber of Commerce apparently was the kiss of death for Michigan City Area Schools board candidates.

The Chamber endorsed incumbents Nathaniel Gipson and Rick Carlson and newcomer Chris LaFollette.

The voters ultimately chose Donald Dulaney, Vidya Kora and William Greene.

Gipson said he wishes the new members well.

"But to tell you the truth, when they announced the Obama win, a chill went through me. And if there were any sting to (losing the School Board race), that was enough to take it away."

Gipson said he never expected to see a black man in the White House.

Eric Hanke also lost in the Coolspring/Pine seat. Although he was asleep when The News-Dispatch called, his wife, Frieda, had a few things to say about the election.

She worries the winner, DuLaney, was the candidate favored by the teachers.

"The teachers got what they want," she said. Referring to DuLaney as "a transplant" (he has lived in Beverly Shores for 16 years), she said she is not convinced he has enough interest in the community.

In the Coolspring/Pine Township contest, DuLaney received 5,440 votes, Gipson 4,376, Lynea Hinchman 3,884 and Hanke 2,686.

Although it was clear Rick Carlson would not be returning to the board, the civil city seat went down to the wire with Vidya Kora defeating retired teacher Michele Nauyokas 5,268 votes to 5,114 votes. Others competing for the seat included Carlson with 3,730 votes, Greg Tuel with 2883 and Leslie Rowley with 845.

Carlson said MCAS has seen "impressive gains for the nearly 7,000 children of MCAS" in the last four years, during which he served on the board.

"Ours is the only open-enrollment free early-learning program in the entire state," he added. "Innovation like this must continue in order to serve our kids in the best way possible."

He urged the community to put away "divisions of the past" and to work for the best interests of the students.

"Best of luck to the three new board members," he said.

Tuel said honest and positive endeavors are never in vain. He thanked everyone who worked with him and said he continues to be available to serve the community.

Zeek, who was bested by William Greene in the race for the Michigan/Springfield race, didn't put much effort into running. He never put out a sign and spent no money on a campaign.

"I wish everybody well and I'm OK," he said. "I hope all board members will care about what's important to the community."

Greene, the top vote getter with 9,010, said, "Mr. Zeek always treated me like a gentleman during the campaign."

He, however, believes the community has sent a message by voting the three incumbents out. Also in that district, Christopher LaFollette had 4,161 votes and Zeek 3,679.

Greene, Nauyokas and DuLaney were endorsed by the Michigan City Education Association, as well as the two other unions representing school employees.

"If we all three get it, people will see some massive changes," Greene said. He knows the new board members will have no influence over the superintendent's contract until next fall.

"And I'm not even saying I want to get rid of the superintendent," he said.

He mentioned he heard Superintendent Michael Harding say on radio he doesn't serve on the negotiating committee for the teacher's contract because the board did not want him negotiating. Greene said he believes Harding should be negotiating for the administration.

The teachers, whose contract expired in June, 2007, need a contract, he said.

Contact Deborah Sederberg at dsederberg@thenewsdispatch.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Nov 5 2008, 01:28 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

Another case where actions speak louder than words.
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Nov 5 2008, 01:33 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 546

Not sure about Greene's quote regarding the Superintendant. If I remember correctly, he was adamant regarding his contract termination.

Greene Quote:

"And I'm not even saying I want to get rid of the superintendent," he said.

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 5 2008, 01:37 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3

I was rather surprised by these results. I went 0-for-3.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Nov 5 2008, 04:33 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Nov 5 2008, 01:37 PM) *

As did I. But I have to give the voters credit. We've heard complaints about the school board before only to see the same people get reelected. This time, voters spoke loud and clear. Well done.
+Quote Post
tblaney
post Nov 6 2008, 01:21 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 835

I was very excited to see the results (about the 3 not being re-elected). I had done some campaigning of my own...I had painted 6 windows on my car (wagon). In bright yellow and orange and then I proceeded to shop at places like Walmart. I then would drive around Michigan City and then where I live in LaPorte.
I am willing to stay on this board's case and help with the new board members when they take office.
I am willing to speak, tell the public what is going on...especially the parents (such as myself). I had no idea until recently of all the turmoil...Shame on me.
I am here to help though...Just an FYI.. So, if you have anything that you would like to pass on to me, please do so.

It was an historic day all around smile.gif
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 6 2008, 08:07 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 3

Welcome, tblaney. There are plenty of posts regarding MCAS. I am happy to have another voice on the message board.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 6 2008, 09:12 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(tblaney @ Nov 6 2008, 01:21 AM) *

I was very excited to see the results (about the 3 not being re-elected). I had done some campaigning of my own...I had painted 6 windows on my car (wagon). In bright yellow and orange and then I proceeded to shop at places like Walmart. I then would drive around Michigan City and then where I live in LaPorte.
I am willing to stay on this board's case and help with the new board members when they take office.
I am willing to speak, tell the public what is going on...especially the parents (such as myself). I had no idea until recently of all the turmoil...Shame on me.
I am here to help though...Just an FYI.. So, if you have anything that you would like to pass on to me, please do so.

It was an historic day all around smile.gif

Welcome to the site! Our job of change in the MCAS has just begun. Now that we have elected new blood, now we have to hold them accountable, and make them work towards the strategic plan, which we the people of MC, wrote. The next step is to stop the Michael Harding contract extension from happening.
+Quote Post
tblaney
post Nov 6 2008, 09:17 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 835

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Nov 6 2008, 08:07 AM) *

Welcome, tblaney. There are plenty of posts regarding MCAS. I am happy to have another voice on the message board.

Thanks Roger. Glad Jenny and told me about this site. Glad I can contribute to our kids and community.
Tracy
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 6 2008, 09:36 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 10

Welcome Tracy!

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Nov 6 2008, 10:06 AM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(tblaney @ Nov 6 2008, 09:17 AM) *

Thanks Roger. Glad Jenny and told me about this site. Glad I can contribute to our kids and community.
Tracy

No problem, Tracy. Welcome...and feel fee to spread the word about CTBL, too. biggrin.gif
+Quote Post
Marram
post Nov 7 2008, 04:38 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 505

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Nov 5 2008, 01:37 PM) *

As a voter, I went 1 for 3, which, if I were a baseball player, wouldn't have been a bad day at the office. On the other hand...

Signature Bar
"The country needs and, unless I mistake its temper, the country demands bold, persistent experimentation. It is common sense to take a method and try it: If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Oglethorpe University Commencement Address (22 May 1932)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:17 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com