Southsider2k12
post Apr 28 2008, 10:58 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=46995.66

Four Seek Position As La Porte County Clerk
Current, former, deputy clerk hope to win Democratic nod to face GOP�s Harris.

Craig Davison
For The News-Dispatch

LA PORTE - The current Clerk of the Circuit Court, a former two-term clerk and a deputy clerk are three people vying to be the Democratic nominee in the May 6 primary.

Lynne Spevak, 46, Judi Keller, 67, and Bette Conroy, 65, all of La Porte, will be on the ticket.

The winner will face Republican Keith Harris of Michigan City, running unopposed in the Republican primary.

Spevak served as Clerk of the Circuit Court from 1998 to 2005, when she reached her term limit. Since then, she worked as a contractor with the state court administration.

She said her experience as clerk and her experience with the state court administration makes her a good candidate. While working for the state court, she familiarized herself with pilot programs coming to La Porte in the next few years.

Keller, a deputy clerk in the office, has worked in the Michigan City and La Porte branches for the past 14 years. One of her goals in the office is to begin to replace the microfilm used to store records and transfer it to CDs. Keller said it would make it easier to access information and would save space in the office.

"We're considered keeper of the records," Keller said.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 7 2008, 09:08 AM
Post #2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=40453.49

pevak May Reclaim Clerk Spot

Craig Davison
For The News-Dispatch

LA PORTE - Lynne Spevak took one more step Tuesday toward reclaiming her former position as Clerk of the Circuit Court.

Spevak, who served two terms as clerk, received 11,397 votes, or 50.51 percent of the votes, in a three-way race.

Deputy Clerk Judi Keller ran second and received 6,154 votes, or 27.27 percent of the vote. Bette Conroy, the chief deputy clerk who replaced Robert J. Behler Jr. as clerk in March when he stepped down from the position, received 5,012 vote votes, or 22.21 percent of the vote.

Spevak faces Republican Keith Harris, Michigan City, who went unopposed in the Republican primary, in the November general election. She said she is willing to serve the public if elected in the fall.

"I'm just ecstatic," she said. "I did not really think I was going to be able to win."

Spevak served as Clerk of the Circuit Court from 1998 to 2005, when she reached her term limit. Between then and this election, she worked as a contractor with the state court administration.

She was surprised to receive that large of a percentage of the vote with two other experienced candidates on the ballot.

Conroy said she was tired after working the election all day in her office, but said she has a lot of knowledge from her experience working in the office and hopes to keep serving.

"My life is county government, so I'll go from there I guess," she said.

Keller said she worked hard and ran a good campaign.

"All I can do is forge forward and continue my work in the office and support the party," Keller said. "We did everything, and it just didn't work out in our favor."

Craig Davison is a reporter for The La Porte Herald-Argus.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 12 2008, 09:07 AM
Post #3

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=40378.27

Analysis: Voters Ousted Courthouse Candidates
Some believe states’ tax troubles led to a rejection of anyone already affiliated with county government.

Jason Miller
The News-Dispatch

LA PORTE - Days after her resounding defeat, La Porte County Clerk Bette Conroy still can't believe she - with 35 years of experience in government - finished third for the clerk's seat.

Her anger and grief is compounded by the fact that Pleasant Township voters, whom she's served her entire life both personally and professionally, gave her only 167 votes. It was 20 fewer than the landslide winner in the race, Lynne Spevak.

When Conroy finally had a chance to pore over all the vote totals from Tuesday's Democratic primary, though, she noticed a trend that might, in a way, explain why she lost.

"I really think people just voted against everybody who is currently in the courthouse," she said. "People think everyone in the courthouse has something to do with taxes and that's not true.

"But I really think they just wanted everybody in the courthouse out."

Conroy's contention is borne out in vote totals from Tuesday which saw three incumbents voted out of office, as well as two chief deputies in their respective offices.

No other contested races featured incumbents or current employees.

On the whole, Conroy, chief deputy recorder Reathel Noveroske, chief deputy treasurer Michaelyn (Mike) Mauer, land surveyor Robert Przybylinski and incumbent county councilman Jerry Cooley all lost their races on Tuesday.

Cooley, a staple on the council, finished fourth among Democrats in a race that put the top three finishers into the November general election. Przybylinski lost to Tony Hendricks, a 16-year assessor who is certified by the state.

La Porte County Treasurer Ken Layton, to whom Mauer is chief deputy, said the notion of a "sweep the bums out" mentality is worrisome to him, but not one he can completely disavow.

Especially, he said, if the reason for it was, like Conroy said, people mad about property tax issues.

"If that was the thought, why don't they go after their state legislators," he said. "I'd really hate it if that were the case because the people affected by this vote have nothing to do with taxes."

Layton said his greatest disappointment was that the vote got rid of some "really good" county employees.

"These are three women, all of whom have hearts and are qualified and have experience, and I just can't believe the got beat the way they did," he said. He complimented Przybylinski, as well, on the job he's done since being swept into office with no experience on the heels of the Democrat party's straight-ticket "Punch 10" initiative.

"Maybe the people are angry at us, but I sure hate to think that."

Layton ran uncontested in his Republican primary for a La Porte County Commissioner seat. He'll face incumbent Democrat Bill Hager in November. Hager also ran unopposed.

"If that's the case (that voters want all new people in office), then they're not going to have a commissioner next year," Layton said, inferring he and Hager are both county officials and would fit the mold of an effort to bring in all new county officials.

Contact Jason Miller at jmiller@thenewsdispatch.com.
+Quote Post
Dave
post May 12 2008, 01:42 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ May 12 2008, 10:07 AM) *

"If that's the case (that voters want all new people in office), then they're not going to have a commissioner next year," Layton said, inferring he and Hager are both county officials and would fit the mold of an effort to bring in all new county officials.

Sometimes I wish the ballots had a "none of the above" option.

This is not a reflection on Mr. Layton or his opponent. Just a general feeeling I often have.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 4 2008, 07:36 AM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Keith Harris is having a fundraiser at the Cracked Egg place on 12. Could Mr. Harris give us some more details?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
kharris
post Jun 4 2008, 01:34 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jun 4 2008, 08:36 AM) *

Keith Harris is having a fundraiser at the Cracked Egg place on 12. Could Mr. Harris give us some more details?

We are having a Wine Tasting Fundraiser on Saturday, June 14th from 2:30pm - 5:30pm at the Carcked Egg Cooking School 2613 US Hwy 12 (about a 1/4 mile west of Karwick Rd). Cracked Egg is providing the use of the facility and hors devours. We will have a variety of wines, domestic and imported, for your tasting pleasure. Donation $10.00. Everyone welcome. Great opportunity to meet the candidate. Can pay at the door or purchase tickets in advance by calling 878-9780.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 4 2008, 02:58 PM
Post #7

Can you give us some idea of what costs are involved in running for clerk?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
kharris
post Jun 4 2008, 03:20 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jun 4 2008, 03:58 PM) *

Can you give us some idea of what costs are involved in running for clerk?

I can say that in the last election 4 years ago, the winner, Bob Behler, spent somewhere north of $8000 to run his campaign. My opponent for the fall, spent a little over $4000 to win her primary and I spent a little over $500 in the unopposed primary. The majority of that cost was for printing and postage. I expect to have to spend $8000-$10,000 for the November election.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jun 4 2008, 04:53 PM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

Mr. Harris is one of the three reasons I can't vote a straight party ticket. The first reason is I don't like the concept of straight ticket voting at all. The second is that there is a particular candidate on the ballot I don't think is qualified or competent for the position sought, and I won't vote for that person (not Mr. Harris' opponent, as it turns out).

I met Mr. Harris at the Neighborhood Candidates Forum, and I liked him. And he's a CBTL'er, which for me actually goes pretty far. And seeing as I don't think party philosophies really enter much into local level positions, I have no problem at all splitting my ticket to vote for him.

---edited for punctuation.

This post has been edited by Dave: Jun 4 2008, 04:54 PM
+Quote Post
kharris
post Jun 4 2008, 06:53 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dave @ Jun 4 2008, 05:53 PM) *

Mr. Harris is one of the three reasons I can't vote a straight party ticket. The first reason is I don't like the concept of straight ticket voting at all. The second is that there is a particular candidate on the ballot I don't think is qualified or competent for the position sought, and I won't vote for that person (not Mr. Harris' opponent, as it turns out).

I met Mr. Harris at the Neighborhood Candidates Forum, and I liked him. And he's a CBTL'er, which for me actually goes pretty far. And seeing as I don't think party philosophies really enter much into local level positions, I have no problem at all splitting my ticket to vote for him.
---edited for punctuation.

Thanks Dave! Really do appreciate the support! Anyone wanting to learn more about the campaign can visit the campaign web site at Harris for Clerk

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 4 2008, 06:53 PM
Post #11

Frankly, I never have understood the idea of voting straight party tickets. Voting for the person is the only way to go.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Johnny Rush
post Jun 4 2008, 08:08 PM
Post #12

Group: Banned
Member No.: 72

I've never understood the concept of having a Democrat and Republican running for positions such as Clerk or Coroner.

Democratic Incumbent Coroner "I now pronounce this body dead, he was a victim of a heart attack."

Republican Challenger "Flaming liberal...always thinks everyone dies of heart attacks."

Dem "Well, you let popular opinion dictate how your people died...flip flopper."

I hope that everyone looks WAY past party affiliation for contests like these and actually look at the candidates ideas, ethics and theories. Do you honestly think that people are voting for these positions based on Dems vs Repubs? I've already been called nieve a couple of times today, but really? People choosing a Coroner or Clerk based on that???

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jun 4 2008, 08:44 PM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Johnny Rush @ Jun 4 2008, 09:08 PM) *

I've never understood the concept of having a Democrat and Republican running for positions such as Clerk or Coroner.

Democratic Incumbent Coroner "I now pronounce this body dead, he was a victim of a heart attack."

Republican Challenger "Flaming liberal...always thinks everyone dies of heart attacks."

Dem "Well, you let popular opinion dictate how your people died...flip flopper."

I hope that everyone looks WAY past party affiliation for contests like these and actually look at the candidates ideas, ethics and theories. Do you honestly think that people are voting for these positions based on Dems vs Repubs? I've already been called nieve a couple of times today, but really? People choosing a Coroner or Clerk based on that???

I agree. The problem I have with straight ticket voting is just that -- a lot of people DO vote a straight ticket ("Punch 10!!!"), and when they do, the result is that some of the lower level offices get filled with mediocre, inept, or downright incompetent people -- we have a 10 page long thread on this board about one of them.

In a lot of places, local elections are done on a non-partisan basis. I'm pretty sure my home town was that way, and I'm pretty sure the Mayor's race in Chicago works that way now as well. I really don't see how a position such as Clerk of The LaPorte County Circuit Court would be executed differently by a Republican than it would be by a Democrat.

Hey, KHarris! Could you give us a 50 word or less (well, concise anyway) explanation as to what you see the day to day duties of the Clerk being? When it comes to something like the State Senate, a candidate's party affiliation may have an impact on what his/her job is and how they do it (majority or minority party, anyway) -- I'm curious as to whether there are any aspects of the Clerk's job where party affiliation would matter in any way.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 5 2008, 08:34 AM
Post #14

I think those positions are frequently used as starting points for political careers. We recall that Mr. Harris ran previously in he 5th Ward. If and WHEN he wins the Clerk job, he will have proven he can win an election, and it will on to bigger things! This is how party affiliation works in these kinds of positions.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
kharris
post Jun 5 2008, 01:09 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dave @ Jun 4 2008, 09:44 PM) *

I agree. The problem I have with straight ticket voting is just that -- a lot of people DO vote a straight ticket ("Punch 10!!!"), and when they do, the result is that some of the lower level offices get filled with mediocre, inept, or downright incompetent people -- we have a 10 page long thread on this board about one of them.

In a lot of places, local elections are done on a non-partisan basis. I'm pretty sure my home town was that way, and I'm pretty sure the Mayor's race in Chicago works that way now as well. I really don't see how a position such as Clerk of The LaPorte County Circuit Court would be executed differently by a Republican than it would be by a Democrat.

Hey, KHarris! Could you give us a 50 word or less (well, concise anyway) explanation as to what you see the day to day duties of the Clerk being? When it comes to something like the State Senate, a candidate's party affiliation may have an impact on what his/her job is and how they do it (majority or minority party, anyway) -- I'm curious as to whether there are any aspects of the Clerk's job where party affiliation would matter in any way.

Though I am not fully aware of the complete and total duties and functions of the Clerk's office, I can say the Clerk's office handles ALL filings from the circuit court, from superior courts 1 through 4 and the various magistrate courts in place. This is a phenomenally important and heavy part of the job to make sure that sll aspects of all court actions are filed timely and appropriately. This is the reason for the staff size in the Clerk's office. On top of that, child support payments are received and dispersed through this office, many licenses issued by the county are through this office, and a tremendous number of fines are paid through the office as well. On top of this, during election years, such as this year. the Clerk is responsible for running the election. This entails training poll workers, making sure the ballots are correct, that candidate filings have been filed according to law and the many other aspects that can be conceived in running the elections.

With all of that said, I would have to very strongly agree that once elected, party affiliation should have no impact whatsoever. That is why one of my campaign issues is to offer NON-PARTISAN LEADERSHIP in the office of clerk when elected. ISSUES
I also want to thank Roger for his vote of confidence on this election being a stepping stone to something bigger and better in the future. Oh, and it was a run for the 2nd Ward not 5th.
+Quote Post
kharris
post Jun 5 2008, 01:32 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE(kharris @ Jun 5 2008, 02:09 PM) *

Though I am not fully aware of the complete and total duties and functions of the Clerk's office, I can say the Clerk's office handles ALL filings from the circuit court, from superior courts 1 through 4 and the various magistrate courts in place. This is a phenomenally important and heavy part of the job to make sure that sll aspects of all court actions are filed timely and appropriately. This is the reason for the staff size in the Clerk's office. On top of that, child support payments are received and dispersed through this office, many licenses issued by the county are through this office, and a tremendous number of fines are paid through the office as well. On top of this, during election years, such as this year. the Clerk is responsible for running the election. This entails training poll workers, making sure the ballots are correct, that candidate filings have been filed according to law and the many other aspects that can be conceived in running the elections.

With all of that said, I would have to very strongly agree that once elected, party affiliation should have no impact whatsoever. That is why one of my campaign issues is to offer NON-PARTISAN LEADERSHIP in the office of clerk when elected. ISSUES
I also want to thank Roger for his vote of confidence on this election being a stepping stone to something bigger and better in the future. Oh, and it was a run for the 2nd Ward not 5th.

The main thing to remember with a position like Clerk, Treasurer, Auditor, etc. is these positions are of an administrative nature as opposed to a political nature. All of these positions are strictly dictated by law as to what they do and how they do. If office holders follow the law then the only outcome is non-partisan.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 5 2008, 02:42 PM
Post #17

My bad!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:46 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com