Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=19358

Grace Church donates $90,000 to homeless shelter
The season for giving

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - In one of its last acts as an official body, the congregation of Grace Church, 117 E. Harrison St., voted Sunday to grace the Sand Castle Shelter with a $90,000 donation that would leave a lasting legacy in the community.

Church chairwoman Laura Meyer and treasurer Penny Russell announced the gift at the board of directors meeting of the Citizens Concerned for the Homeless-Sand Castle Shelter on Monday evening. Board member Bernie Scott was instrumental in obtaining the donation, which will be used to create a learning center in the three-car garage at the shelter, located at 1005 W. Eighth St.

"We're excited," Scott said. "It's like Santa Claus came."

The Grace Church congregation had existed for 15 years when the decision was made to disband and sell the property, according to Meyer. "The money had to go to a non-profit organization," Meyer said. "The people of the church decided because it was formed for the benefit of the community, why not give some to the homeless? We feel that, through this, our church hasn't been there for nothing."

Meyer told the board the funding could not be used for shelter operations or salaries and needed to be used only for a learning center. She suggested it could be called the Grace Learning Center and the board members unanimously agreed to the name.

Sand Castle Shelter serves homeless children and families, according to executive director Judy Hanish, and a learning center is something that fits with the shelter's mission.

"We have a couple in the shelter that could use that learning center," Hanish told the board members. "She needs a GED and he needs vocational and technical training. It's going to evolve into that."

Hanish is also the literacy coordinator for Healthy Communities of La Porte County and said the two needs - shelter and literacy - go hand-in-hand. She has plans for the learning center to provide training in life skills, finances, health, parenting and nutrition. For teens, she wants to provide education on preventing pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.

Formerly known as the Michigan City Homeless Shelter, the Sand Castle Shelter can accommodate a total of eight families. The shelter strives to assist the families in taking steps to obtain permanent housing.

The shelter board had already talked about turning the garage into space for a classroom, computer room, children's room and a small library. She said Grace Church provided the Sand Castle shelter with the impetus to achieve more for the community.

"We have had the pieces," Hanish said. "Now it all comes together."

q

Contact Laurie Wink at lwink@thenewsdispatch.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JoeJ
post Dec 2 2008, 06:49 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 833

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Dec 2 2008, 01:01 PM) *

Countryside is trying to establish a shelter in the downtown area. Maybe, the two should work together.

Joe
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 3 2008, 08:10 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 3

Countryside seems to like to work alone, I hear. Is there evidence otherwise?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 3 2008, 09:29 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 10

I attended church there - once. It's so big and overwhelming. I kept expecting to see t.v. cameras. I couldn't even concentrate on the sermon because all the people were distracting.

The best church I ever attended was when I lived in Kentucky. It was this tiny little Pentecostal church WAAAYYYYY out in the sticks. There may have been 30 people in the congregation, and I think the capacity of the building was like 50. That Preacher was on fire though and you could definitely feel God's presence in that place.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
JoeJ
post Dec 3 2008, 05:01 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Ang @ Dec 3 2008, 09:29 AM) *

I attended church there - once. It's so big and overwhelming. I kept expecting to see t.v. cameras. I couldn't even concentrate on the sermon because all the people were distracting.

The best church I ever attended was when I lived in Kentucky. It was this tiny little Pentecostal church WAAAYYYYY out in the sticks. There may have been 30 people in the congregation, and I think the capacity of the building was like 50. That Preacher was on fire though and you could definitely feel God's presence in that place.

I am not sure of evidence of them working alone or going it alone, I think they work for the common good of the Kingdom and tend to work with in God's plan. Perhaps, others want to do it "their" way and not God's way. That is my experience with CC. As for them being large and forbearing if you will. Yeah, I can see that. It took me a while to get used to it.

I just know they with the help of God have done a lot for LaPorte County and around the world

Joe
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 3 2008, 05:47 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 10

I don't doubt they have, and I'm not knocking the church itself. I just have a fear of crowds (what kind of phobia is that?). I have that proverbial "bubble" and I don't want anyone else inside (unless....well.... I'm sure you can figure where I'm going with that one. laugh.gif). Anyway, I like things that are small, cozy and warm. I like to walk into a church where they say, "Hey Angelique! How have you been?" CC church is so big I can't for the life of me figure out how the deacons can possibly know everyone. Just my taste. Some people don't want to be recognized, or prefer to stay invisible. Not saying that's bad either. To each his own. Just my personal preference is small, warm, and cozy.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 4 2008, 01:19 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=19397

Donation
Grace Church’s last act

Editorial

Talk about turning a disappointment into a positive. Grace Church did exactly that when its board voted to donate $90,000 to Sand Castle Shelter.

The disappointment for Grace Church is that the board of the small congregation on Harrison Street voted to dissolve the church. But that left the 15-year-old church with a decision on what to do with its funds.

"The people of the church decided because it was formed for the benefit of the community, why not give some to the homeless? We feel that, through this, our church hasn't been there for nothing," said Laura Meyer, chairman of the church board.

Sand Castle Shelter, 1005 W. Eighth St. (formerly known as the Michigan City Homeless Shelter), will use the money to create an education center in its accompanying garage. The shelter, which serves eight families, will set up an education program to help not only children living there, but help their parents receive GED, vocational and technical training. The center also will provide life skills, financial, health, parenting and nutrition training, along with education on preventing pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases.

Judy Hanish, executive director of the shelter, said that often the lack of education and training skills is what leads people into homelessness.

It's not every day an organization receives a $90,000 contribution that will do so much to improve the lives of others. It's also not every day that an organization facing its own trials acts so selflessly for others.

Both of those things happened Monday and the lives of Michigan City residents will be enriched because of it.

It was suggested by Meyer that Sand Castle name its new learning center the Grace Learning Center. It was a suggestion that was adopted unanimously by the Sand Castle board.

After all, it's tough to argue with such a fitting title.
+Quote Post
JoeJ
post Dec 4 2008, 09:16 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Ang @ Dec 3 2008, 05:47 PM) *

I don't doubt they have, and I'm not knocking the church itself. I just have a fear of crowds (what kind of phobia is that?). I have that proverbial "bubble" and I don't want anyone else inside (unless....well.... I'm sure you can figure where I'm going with that one. laugh.gif). Anyway, I like things that are small, cozy and warm. I like to walk into a church where they say, "Hey Angelique! How have you been?" CC church is so big I can't for the life of me figure out how the deacons can possibly know everyone. Just my taste. Some people don't want to be recognized, or prefer to stay invisible. Not saying that's bad either. To each his own. Just my personal preference is small, warm, and cozy.

In a large church, you can be as small or as large as you want. I am pretty well known at my church by action or deed. We have small groups that help each out and it is nice. You are right it is hard to the Elders to know everyone, but that does not keep them from praying for them.

Joe
+Quote Post
Homey
post Dec 4 2008, 10:28 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 826

Any $$ for the homeless shelter is a good thing. I just donated to the shelter, socks, blankets, shirts - etc. It's gonna be a tough year for the homeless. But for the grace of God, we could be in the same shape.

I have a friend who was raised in the Catholic church. VERY late in his life he joined the CC church. This was a culmination of some bad feelings with the parish priest. As time went on, his whole demeanor began to change, for the good. He had a glow about him, he quit smoking, he's a much kinder and enthused person. I was totally amazed!!!
While this type of church isn't for me, I am so interested in different types of religion and I'm currently reading books re: Buddha. I've been a Baptist, Catholic and then considered myself an agnostic. I might be more spiritual than concerned about being involved in an organized church. I might be a newer soul on search of what suits me. smile.gif

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 5 2008, 08:06 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 3

I got a book you would like...I will get back to you with the title.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:04 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com