post Feb 21 2010, 10:14 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2010/0...67273568901.txt

Pop Warner fundraiser proceeds not shared with cheerleaders

Published: Friday, February 19, 2010 4:17 AM CST
I am the parent of a Michigan City Pop Warner Pee Wee cheerleader. Many people donated to Pop Warner to help cover the cost of sending both the championship-bound girls and boys of MC Pop Warner for their trip to Orlando for the national competition last December. To those who donated in good faith, thank you.

The business manager, Gina Kaletha, stated that the goal of $15,000 was achieved. I wanted to point out that not one of the cheerleaders or their parents received one penny to help defray the cost of their trip to Orlando from Michigan City Pop Warner. Not only was it stated that enough money was raised for the players, but enough had been raised for “a couple of coaches.” I also wanted to point out that, although my wife and daughter were fortunate enough to make the trip, a couple of girls did not attend because their parents could not afford to send them.

These girls paid the same dues, attended all of the practices, cheered at home and away games, competed at local and out-of-state competitions, participated at all fundraising events, and worked hard to earn the right to compete at the national level.

Michigan City Pop Warner decided to distribute the money from fundraising completely toward its football players and “a couple of coaches” for “expenses for food, transportation and accommodations.”

Does anyone else think that this is wrong?

I challenge those who made the decision to let this happen to respond to my letter. Ample opportunity has been given to you for an explanation without going public with my concerns.

Steven Long

Trail Creek
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
huskers888
post Feb 21 2010, 11:48 AM
Post #2

Getting Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 858

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Feb 21 2010, 10:14 AM) *

There has always been factions and favoritism with in the pop warner football program since the start . You have to be in click . The click just changes over the years.It should be just about the youth. Not the parents egos .By the way many other programs in Michigan city have the same politics . We must include all are youth in this community regardless of where they come from or there economic situation .
+Quote Post
Markus
post Feb 21 2010, 01:16 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 886

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Feb 21 2010, 10:14 AM) *

I am shocked to hear that the Kaletha name is possibly involved in controversy over youth sports and money. I wonder how many families actually received funds for their trip to Florida and I would be willing to bet that they all live in the same subdivision. The "click" is very important in Pop Warner because if you look at the buddy system, most of the Board members are close loayal friends of S.K. and most of the Coaches in the program live in or around "Wisteria Lane". I am curious how Firemen and Police Officers can afford such lush homes, the City must be doing very well.
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Feb 21 2010, 02:07 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(Markus @ Feb 21 2010, 01:16 PM) *

I am shocked to hear that the Kaletha name is possibly involved in controversy

From an outsider looking in, I have not seen the controversy. I have seen the article online, with all of the accusations and responses. I feel bad for the kids, the cheerleaders and the football players. I feel bad that the lashing out by the parents, on both sides is setting poor examples of adult behavior. Everybody is getting backed into a corner with no positve way out.

The only positive coming from this whole mess? The new News-dispatch web site has allowed a place to vent, nobody has ended up in jail.

I look forward to the parents on both sides to come up with an adult resolution to this. Learn from the mistakes and move on. Seperate the groups if need be, screaming, shouting, verbal attacks through the paper not good for the kids.

I am looking forward to supporting all the kids in Michigan City, football, cheerleading, chess, baseball or to the new Indiana State Bowling Champs. There are plenty of supporters for all the kids, if the parents get out of the way.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 21 2010, 02:16 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Feb 21 2010, 02:07 PM) *

From an outsider looking in, I have not seen the controversy. I have seen the article online, with all of the accusations and responses. I feel bad for the kids, the cheerleaders and the football players. I feel bad that the lashing out by the parents, on both sides is setting poor examples of adult behavior. Everybody is getting backed into a corner with no positve way out.

The only positive coming from this whole mess? The new News-dispatch web site has allowed a place to vent, nobody has ended up in jail.

I look forward to the parents on both sides to come up with an adult resolution to this. Learn from the mistakes and move on. Seperate the groups if need be, screaming, shouting, verbal attacks through the paper not good for the kids.

I am looking forward to supporting all the kids in Michigan City, football, cheerleading, chess, baseball or to the new Indiana State Bowling Champs. There are plenty of supporters for all the kids, if the parents get out of the way.

I posted the story for a couple of reasons after seeing the mess in the feedback area, and thinking about not posting it at all...

First of all, I am curious what the whole story is, and I didn't want to read all of the unneeded nastiness to hear it.

Secondly, I wonder if we as an area have an unusual amount of these type of stories, or is it just it seems worse from being submersed in it?
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Feb 21 2010, 02:58 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

I don't know about the cheerleaders, but I know for a fact that all the team moms made it very plain, clear and specific prior to the tournament to all the parents and families of the football team members that if they were not going to contribute to any the teams fundraising efforts that their boys were not going to receive any of the monetary proceeds or benefits to go to Indianapolis, Ypsilanti and Orlando and that all expenses would come directly out of their pocket.
+Quote Post
huskers888
post Feb 21 2010, 04:41 PM
Post #7

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 858

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Feb 21 2010, 02:58 PM) *

I don't know about the cheerleaders, but I know for a fact that all the team moms made it very plain, clear and specific prior to the tournament to all the parents and families of the football team members that if they were not going to contribute to any the teams fundraising efforts that their boys were not going to receive any of the monetary proceeds or benefits to go to Indianapolis, Ypsilanti and Orlando and that all expenses would come directly out of their pocket.

Thats one of my points all parents dont have the time or resources as the click fokes . They seem to have a there kids are better than yours attitude . With them its us first and yours second if theres any left.They believe there superior. And they think we dont notice .
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Feb 21 2010, 04:55 PM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(huskers888 @ Feb 21 2010, 04:41 PM) *

Thats one of my points all parents dont have the time or resources as the click fokes . They seem to have a there kids are better than yours attitude . With them its us first and yours second if theres any left.They believe there superior. And they think we dont notice .

I can't figure out why or how sharing things like this will help support the kids. Come up with a solution that puts the needs of the kids and their feelings first. Then go public with the same energy and I will open my wallet as I am so sure my neighbors will too.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Feb 21 2010, 05:31 PM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(huskers888 @ Feb 21 2010, 04:41 PM) *

I'll betcha that's how other parents from other communities feel about their program too, not just here in Michigan City.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Feb 21 2010, 08:44 PM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

Our family is very new to the Pop Warner football program, but so far, we're very happy with what we've seen. (My son played for the Tiny Mites team this year--the beginner's division). We're not close to the Kaletha family, or a part of the so-called "click", and we certainly don't live on "Wisteria Lane."

The weekend after the football teams won state, my entire family of 5, along with other families with Tiny Mite player, spent an entire day in front of Al's collecting money for the football teams. The football parents went and solicited donations to help defray the cost of the trip to Nationals for the boys. I heard an awful lot about the football teams...yet not nearly as much about cheer.

Maybe I just missed the press releases, but I had to search to find out how the cheerleaders ended up. I found the results through a YouTube video (of all places). I also posted the results on the board.

I'm not trying to play favorites, but just how hard did the cheer teams work to raise that extra cash at the end of the season in comparison to the football teams?

One other thing you should know: Both Scott and Gina Kaletha have been instrumental in helping me bring the dream of playing football to life for a group of kids with special needs. This fall, we're hoping to add a Challenger division to MC Pop Warner. Sure, I'm planning to be involved, but it would not have happened without the Kalethas.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 22 2010, 02:14 PM
Post #11

I am happy that this thread has kept a much more respectful tone than the ND's page. How can people hope to understand and settle differences if that is how they handle themselves?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 24 2010, 10:52 AM
Post #12

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...80005538536.txt

Letter about cheerleaders false, divisive

Published: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:04 PM CST
Thank you, Roger Willoughby, for personally keeping this Pop Warner feud going! In your letter [“Cheerleaders did little to raise money”] you not only made false statements, but spoke derogatorily about young girls. Neither Steve Long nor myself ever spoke derogatorily about the football players.

The cheerleaders did many, many fundraising events and raised more than $9,000 in their efforts. The sad fact is that we did not have the same connections that you had on your team. Not only did our parents WORK to get their funds, but the cheerleaders were also at every fundraising event we held WORKING! Please don’t quote statistics if you do not know them. Ten percent [participation in fundraising] is so absurd that I won’t even begin to break down the details. The cold weather statement is also absurd!

Did you ever think that maybe the cheerleaders had their own events like competitions going on. Or maybe you just didn’t notice them at the event! It’s obvious that you see them as nothing more than “rah rahs”! Maybe you overlooked their presence just as you have overlooked their hard work and skill!

I invite you to our competitions this weekend. Come show us how supportive you really are. And guess what ... we’ll be competing against other teams! Oooh! Maybe they’ll stop being talked about then! Like I previously stated, I am the

cheerleaders’ spokesperson. I will not allow anyone to take away their efforts and belittle them!

Also, note that Pop Warner is three things: scholars, spirit and football. All three! We are one organization and should

act as one. Yes, we chose to fundraise separately. However, attitudes like yours is what has truly divided us!

Abby Vittatoe

Cheer Director

Michigan City Pop Warner Football

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...8e821476132.txt

Letter not meant as attack

Published: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:34 AM CST
My letter Friday was not meant as a personal attack toward either Gina Kaletha or Michigan City Pop Warner [“Pop Warner fundraiser proceeds not shared with cheerleaders”]. I do applaud our community for commenting on my letter, although I do want to clarify a few things.

First to Gina Kaletha, I quote from one of your responses posted online in response to my letter, “The only thing that was true and correct in his letter was the spelling of my name and the title I hold at Pop Warner.” Anytime I quoted you in my letter, it was in fact a quote, and if was not the truth that you stated, it’s not me “pointing you out,” I was just quoting you.

I stated neither the cheerleaders or cheerleaders’ parents received one penny from Michigan City Pop Warner. I was informed that the $100 each that both football players and cheerleaders received was from the National Chapter of Pop Warner. If my sources were incorrect, I do apologize.

The main reason I wrote to the Anvil Chorus was because I could not get an answer from the board of directors of Michigan City Pop Warner why the funds that were raised the week before the nationals that were solicited in The News-Dispatch every day were not shared with the cheerleaders.

I won’t lower myself to address any of the other anonymous authors bashing my 12-year-old daughter and myself. Also, I helped organize and participated in the Cheerleaders Fundraising Dance, the Cheerleaders Fundraising Indoor Yard Sale, I personally sold Port-A-Pit tickets, and made sure that my daughter was at every fundraising event she was asked to participate in. I attended most football games at home and away to support my daughter, her squad and the MC Pop Warner football teams. I look forward to becoming more active in both the cheerleading and football programs this year.

Steven Long

Trail Creek

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...a8704546881.txt

Cheerleaders did little to raise money

Published: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:34 AM CST
You can call me a Kaletha crony, I guess, but there needs to be some clarity about the awful allegations about Pop Warner football. The football TEAM raised that money, not the Kaletha family. I didn’t see any cheerleaders participate in more than 10 percent of fund-raising and they certainly didn’t do anything when the weather got bad. It’s easy to complain. Try performing. I raised a little of that $15,000. Where was your share?

This isn’t the NFL — cheer is separate from football, and I am sick to death of people getting a free ride. It’s sink or swim in the real world.

Don’t be a Kaletha hater. Join us cronies because we’re going to Florida again in 2010. Hopefully your rah rahs can be there if you’re good enough.

Roger Willoughby

Michigan City
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 24 2010, 10:53 AM
Post #13

It is interesting to note that the ND deleted all comments to the original letter, and then completely closed the ability to comment to that particular letter.
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Feb 24 2010, 09:57 PM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Feb 24 2010, 10:53 AM) *

It is interesting to note that the ND deleted all comments to the original letter, and then completely closed the ability to comment to that particular letter.

I don't blame them. It was getting a bit nasty.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Feb 25 2010, 09:27 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 10

I'm so glad we play nice here. biggrin.gif

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 25 2010, 10:48 AM
Post #16

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...a5270078118.txt

Stop disgraceful attacks over Pop Warner

Published: Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:45 AM CST
I am one of the founders of Michigan City Pop Warner Football League and I say this with great pride and sincere feelings of sadness. Why? I have learned of what appears to be a serious, unsettling chain of events, improper handing of funds, a personal vendetta against others, belittling of children — things I just cannot accept. Unbelievable!

My son-in-law, Paul Evans, has just lost his battle with ALS/Lou Gehrig’s diesase. The funeral was Feb. 16. A Pop Warner football program for Michigan City had been his hope and dream for a very long time. He questioned why other cities had this respected, national program and City did not. His son had played Pop Warner football in La Porte as a 6-year-old. When Paul would talk about bringing this program to Michigan City, most people would say it would never work in here — the usual it can’t be done because it had not been! Sound familiar?

We met other coaches and parents who would listen to Paul’s feelings about a Pop Warner league in January 1997 — I think there were eight of us. The next meeting was held at Michigan City High School’s football coaches’ classroom. The head coach was Brian Burkhart. We had his support and the school’s as well. The president of the La Porte Pop Warner came to help us do the paperwork to be accepted by the National Pop Warner governing body, and we were welcomed to the world of Pop Warner!

Brian Lindquist was our beginning and he has always been our friend — the spirit of true Pop Warner people: give the football program that is the best for the youth of our communities. Brian warned us this would not be easy but with hard work and a can-do attitude we would succeed.

At this time there was no bank account, no money, no uniforms, no equipment, no playing field, no certainty the community would embrace the programs, sign up their children, or if we would have enough children to field one team, let alone two, three, maybe four

At the end of this meeting, Paul reached into his pocket and brought out the change he had and laid it on the table. It was six cents! At the end of each meeting, Paul would put whatever change he had in his pocket on the table. Sometimes it might be a dollar bill! Some of us donated small amounts of money, but none of that was ever as important as was Paul’s change — MEMORIES! It was all about bringing to the youth of Michigan City the best football league they could possibly have.

We all worked hard the next few months — 12 of us. We now had some community support, from the high school, from their coaches, from respected community leaders, from parents and others. We now had a board of directors and fundraisers kept us knocking on doors, and our families helped us with buying tickets. WEFM radio gave us air time and we owe Ron Miller and his staff our gratitude. The News-Dispatch published our constant press releases and as always there for us.

Mike’s Sporting Goods agreed to give us the uniforms and equipment, sweatshirts, T-shirts, etc. at a cost of close to $30,000, and this bill was paid off in less than four years! When Paul signed the bill for this $30,000, his hands were shaking. At this time there were between $30 and $50 in the recently opened Pop Warner bank account.

Franklin Clinic lowered their prices so our Pop Warner kids could have their mandatory physicals, the school system through Plant Planning gave us Gill Field to play our home games on. We cleaned this field, mowed the grass ... it was our home! From January to the first game that fall of 1997, we went from Paul’s dream to playing football. All because Paul had a dream and never gave up and saw what you can do when it is right and have six cents in your pocket! Thank you Paul, we will remember forever.

And now I have read the e-mails with disbelief and a heavy heart, some written by members of Pop Warner attacking others with hate and not facts, but vengeance! To ALL OF YOU, whatever happened over the Florida trip, you will STOP this disgraceful attack on each other and you will do it NOW! You have damaged Pop Warner’s name. You have disgraced the program and this damage cannot be erased. You are a disgrace! I do not have the power to remove any of you from this program, but I have every intention of trying. If you care about the program, you will all resign — every board member, every coach, every single one of you. I am so grateful Paul did not live to see this horror story unfold. Honor him by doing the right thing.

As for all funds that are Michigan City Pop Warner’s, you are to make them public. This program does not belong to the current board or others.

Margie Edson

La Porte
+Quote Post
Ang
post Feb 25 2010, 11:08 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 10

Holy Crap!

Looks like someone is putting the smack-down on this situation!

Go Margie!

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Feb 25 2010, 10:35 PM
Post #18

Really Comfortable

I'd like to give kudos to the Wednesday night Michigan City Moose Family Center Lodge #980 and Thursday night Michigan City BPO Elks Lodge #432 Bingo crowd. I was told they bought $500.00 worth of Pop Warner Port-A-Pit chicken tickets last November. I also heard that the Arnett family from Arnett Construction donated $1,000 after the team won up in Michigan.

Praise also needs to be given to the MCAS for all they've done:
  • Allowing the use of Elston's Gill Field to be used for all home games
  • Allowing the use of the fields at Barker and Kruger Middle Schools to be used for team practices
  • Allowing the use of the High Schools lighted soccer field to be used for team practices after the time changed and it was too dark out to practice in the evening at the unlighted Barker and Kruger fields
  • Waiving the hourly rental fee for Ames Field for the League and State championship games
  • Allowing the cheerleaders to use of Elston gym for cheer practice when it got too dark and cold to practice outdoors.
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Feb 26 2010, 06:21 AM
Post #19

Really Comfortable

QUOTE('taxthedeer @ Feb 25 2010, 10:35 PM) *

I'd like to give kudos to the Wednesday night Michigan City Moose Lodge #950 and Thursday night Michigan City BPO Elks Lodge #432 Bingo crowd. I was told they bought $500.00 worth of Pop Warner Port-A-Pit chicken tickets last November. I also heard that the Arnett family from Arnett Construction donated $1,000 after the team won up in Michigan.

Praise also needs to be given to the MCAS for all they've done:
  • Allowing the use of Elston's Gill Field to be used for all home games
  • Allowing the use of the fields at Barker and Kruger Middle Schools to be used for team practices
  • Allowing the use of the High Schools lighted soccer field to be used for team practices after the time changed and it was too dark out to practice in the evening at the unlighted Barker and Kruger fields
  • Waiving the hourly rental fee for Ames Field for the League and State championship games
  • Allowing the cheerleaders to use of Elston gym for cheer practice when it got too dark and cold to practice outdoors.

Thank you taxthedeer, I can hancle more banter like this.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 26 2010, 10:50 AM
Post #20

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...2b164580484.txt

Shame on parents, coaches, for bashing each other

Published: Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:45 AM CST
As a former coach and past secretary of Michigan City Pop Warner I would like to respond to this ongoing saga. First and foremost, congratulations to the football and cheer programs for their outstanding achievements this past season. These young men and women are and should be what’s most important in the scheme of things. Unfortunately some people have lost sight of this. It’s very disheartening to see parents and coaches bashing each other, not to mention our children, in a public forum. Shame on all of you and you know who you are.

It’s my opinion that these same people are living their lives through their children’s sports programs, both football and cheer. Let our kids be kids and do what’s most important — have-fun. To all the volunteers who are in it for the kids, stay the course. To all the nay sayers hiding behind the scenes, grow up and volunteer your time in a positive way.

To Roger Willoughby, for you to comment about the cheer getting a free ride, and that cheer is a sep rate from football, is unbelievable.

As long as I was involved with this organization, and I still am a big supporter, the last time I checked we are called Michigan City Pop Warner football and cheer. What part of that label do you not understand? It’s my opinion that all those Saturdays and Sundays these girls were cheering at your games rain or shine. They were invisible in your eyes. One last thing, Mr. Willoughby, to make a comment directed toward the cheer of Michigan City Pop Warner, and I quote, “Hopefully your rah-rahs can be there if you’re good enough,” That idiotic comment just summed up what is wrong in the football and cheer programs — parents like you.

Douglas Stephens

Michigan City
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:52 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com