Reply to this topicStart new topic
> MC Football Coach hits jackpot
wayne
post Feb 24 2010, 09:15 AM
Post #1

Getting Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 998

MC. does anybody other than myself feel this is a little much? According to this, he wil be earning more than anybody in our scholl district including the Superintendent. I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

I believe Coach Buzea is taking 5 current staff members with him to Illinois, although nothing can be confirmed until it becomes official. By the way, did anybody catch how much he will be making as a Teacher/coach? Ready for this, $109,000 as a base teachers contract and an additional 15 grand for Coaching and a weight lifting stipend (thats 124k) and from what I hear from somebody who teaches in that district that doesnt even include Summer Camp money which can easily reach an extra 10 grand. Thats $135,000 and he is not even going over there as an administrator. WOW!!! Im guessing that he makes a maximum of 80 k at MC. as a Dean/Coach. That is some serious coin and from what I understand the State of Illinois has the best teacher retirement in the country.

With all that being said, money isnt everything, but I can see why he made the move. In my opinion, I dont see us getting another quality coach and Im afraid the MC football program will be right back to where it was before Buzea got here.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 24 2010, 09:30 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I think you are also seeing exactly how little people in the MCAS get paid.
+Quote Post
wayne
post Feb 24 2010, 02:21 PM
Post #3

Getting Comfortable

I just went to the school web-site (its pretty impressive and the school looks top shelf) and looked at the summer camps. They charge $200 per camper? Are you kidding me? Im not very familair with that area, so does anyone know what type of community this is. Is it that affluent that it can demand that type of camp fee or could that be a misprint? If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Im still shaking my head at all of this. Deer can you shed any light on this?
+Quote Post
Markus
post Feb 24 2010, 03:08 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 886

130K? We have people in the steel mills making that much and more.......
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Feb 24 2010, 03:16 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

Homewood-Flossmoor might be the most affluent school district in the Chicago area, which helps explain the salary and the camp fees. I agree with you, Wayne. It's tough to be upset about him leaving when you hear about the financial package he got. It's tantamount to a no-brainer.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 24 2010, 03:31 PM
Post #6

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Yeah, if they are looking for any football or basketball announcers with that kind of a pay scale... wink.gif
+Quote Post
Dave
post Feb 24 2010, 04:01 PM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Feb 24 2010, 03:31 PM) *

Yeah, if they are looking for any football or basketball announcers with that kind of a pay scale... wink.gif

Heck, how about janitors? I could be happy pushing a mop for the right sized paycheck....
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Feb 24 2010, 06:32 PM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(wayne @ Feb 24 2010, 02:21 PM) *

I just went to the school web-site (its pretty impressive and the school looks top shelf) and looked at the summer camps. They charge $200 per camper? Are you kidding me? Im not very familair with that area, so does anyone know what type of community this is. Is it that affluent that it can demand that type of camp fee or could that be a misprint? If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Im still shaking my head at all of this. Deer can you shed any light on this?

You found a really good way to boost your post count.

MCB&R is a correct it's a fine school. I understand that their principal is from Crown Point. Buz is going to be expected to win right away or else he'll get canned, I've read that their previous coach led the team to the state 8A semi-finals in 2007 but was fired after going 1-8 last fall. Sounds like he was given a raw deal. Sound like coach Smith sould apply for one of the 5A jobs here.

http://yourseason.suntimes.com/schools/hom...mithout.article

H-F, Smith part ways
November 21, 2009 BY ALAN MACEY

In 2007, first-year head coach Kenneth Smith directed Homewood-Flossmoor to the Class 8A semifinals, losing 20-8 to eventual champion Naperville North.

Two years later, Smith has been dismissed as head coach after the Vikings finished with a 1-8 record. Smith's three-season record at H-F was 13-18.

"I enjoyed my time coaching H-F football," Smith said. "I'll miss players like Supo Sanni, Russell Ellington and Michael Buchanan, all of whom are now playing at the University of Illinois. The list goes on and on. I'll miss the relationships I built with the H-F players.

"We had 17 underclassmen starters (including three sophomores) on this year's team. The next coach will be taking over a program that's in very good shape."

H-F athletic director Joe Skowronski declined to comment. He is accepting applications for the position online at www.hfhighschool.org, via e-mail at jskowronski@hfhighschool.org or via fax at (708) 799-8292.

Candidates, who should have previous head coaching experience, also can contact Skowronski at (708) 335-5523.

Smith said he is proud of the fact he placed 22 players into college football programs in his first two years at H-F. He's also proud of what his players accomplished off the field.

"Two weeks after the season, 15 of our varsity players took part in a community service project near Kankakee," Smith said. "That was a rewarding experience for all of us."

Smith, a physical education teacher, wants to continue coaching the game he loves.

"I want to coach football again and teach kids how to play the game," Smith said.

Before taking the H-F job in 2007, Smith served as head coach at Crete-Monee for two years, compiling a 12-8 record and reaching the state playoffs in both campaigns. Before Smith arrived at Crete-Monee, the program had won just two of its previous 27 games. In 2004, Smith was an assistant varsity football coach at Rich East.

When Smith succeeded the retiring Tom Bailey at H-F for the 2007-08 school year, he said, "H-F is truly my dream school. It has a great mix of diversity and solid academic and athletic traditions. I'm thankful for this opportunity to lead the H-F program."
+Quote Post
wayne
post Feb 24 2010, 07:45 PM
Post #9

Getting Comfortable

QUOTE(Markus @ Feb 24 2010, 03:08 PM) *

130K? We have people in the steel mills making that much and more.......

We may have, but working in the mills is a little different than teaching PE and coaching football. that would not be comaring apples to apples. Im just having a hard time with someone making that type of money as a teacher. I always heard when I was growing up, not to be a teacher because you wont be able to feed your family. Heck next time I see Buzea, Im going to ask him for a loan. Does anyone know if he has already started over there? How far wil the drive be and will he have to relocate? Im guessing he would have to move.
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Feb 24 2010, 07:54 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

QUOTE(wayne @ Feb 24 2010, 07:45 PM) *

We may have, but working in the mills is a little different than teaching PE and coaching football. that would not be comaring apples to apples. Im just having a hard time with someone making that type of money as a teacher. I always heard when I was growing up, not to be a teacher because you wont be able to feed your family. Heck next time I see Buzea, Im going to ask him for a loan. Does anyone know if he has already started over there? How far wil the drive be and will he have to relocate? Im guessing he would have to move.

He'll be at the high school through the end of the year. He lives in Griffith, so the commute doesn't change much and might actually get slightly shorter.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Feb 24 2010, 10:56 PM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(wayne @ Feb 24 2010, 07:45 PM) *

We may have, but working in the mills is a little different than teaching PE and coaching football. that would not be comaring apples to apples. Im just having a hard time with someone making that type of money as a teacher. I always heard when I was growing up, not to be a teacher because you wont be able to feed your family.
Like I stated in the other thread, that's the salary amount for tenured teachers in Illinois and why Buz had to win out over 100 applicants.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:35 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com