Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New spot in Marquette Mall
Southsider2k12
post Oct 18 2007, 07:29 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Looks like they are putting in a new eatery where the Old Country Buffet used to be... Any ideas what it is?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Oct 19 2007, 11:44 AM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Oct 18 2007, 08:29 PM) *

Looks like they are putting in a new eatery where the Old Country Buffet used to be... Any ideas what it is?

I believe it's another buffet, serving oriental cuisine (and I'm using that term very loosely here).
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 19 2007, 01:08 PM
Post #3

I wonder if it is the one from Wal-Mart Plaza that recently closed down? I'd really be curious to find out who the ownership is, because if it is the one who is running the site at the long-since-former Ponderosa, I'll never eat there on principle.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Oct 19 2007, 01:20 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Call the mall office--they should be able to provide that info.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 19 2007, 01:32 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 10

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Oct 19 2007, 01:08 PM) *

I wonder if it is the one from Wal-Mart Plaza that recently closed down? I'd really be curious to find out who the ownership is, because if it is the one who is running the site at the long-since-former Ponderosa, I'll never eat there on principle.

I know the two have different owners. The Ponderosa place is Fortune House (I believe-could be wrong) and I can't remember the name of the other one. But I liked the other one better. The Walnart Plaza one. Probably mostly on princple, like SSder. I used to live down the street from that house that burned down. This was before it became a boarding house, when the family still lived in it. I know what they were like and I didn't much care for them so I didn't want to eat at their restaurant.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 19 2007, 01:39 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Ang @ Oct 19 2007, 02:32 PM) *

I know the two have different owners. The Ponderosa place is Fortune House (I believe-could be wrong) and I can't remember the name of the other one. But I liked the other one better. The Walnart Plaza one. Probably mostly on princple, like SSder. I used to live down the street from that house that burned down. This was before it became a boarding house, when the family still lived in it. I know what they were like and I didn't much care for them so I didn't want to eat at their restaurant.

Yeah, Fortune House. I couldn't remember the name of the place. We used to go there, but we also quit going after finding out about the illegal labor and 3rd world conditions that they were basically forcing people to live in. After that incident, there is no way I am putting a dime in their pockets. People died in a horrible fashion because of that.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 22 2007, 11:04 AM
Post #7

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

The mall is gonna go bust if they don't get better stores in there. The new Penney's in Valpo is gonna dry up more business here. Howsabout a little food court in there? TJ Max?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Oct 23 2007, 01:08 PM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 22 2007, 12:04 PM) *

The mall is gonna go bust if they don't get better stores in there. The new Penney's in Valpo is gonna dry up more business here. Howsabout a little food court in there? TJ Max?

How about ANYTHING? laugh.gif

There is a nice little toy store where KB used to be. Good, clasic toys. Not the over-commericalized stuff you see everywhere else.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 24 2007, 10:58 AM
Post #9

TRAFFIC--how will the Mall ever build up enough traffic to lure a biggie there?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 24 2007, 11:04 AM
Post #10

Good question. If you think about it, what was the last chain store to open up there? All of the places that have opened in the last few years at least have been individual proprietors, which means they don't have the customer base or name recognition, and it also means they probably don't have the capitol to take a short to medium term loss while they build a following.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 24 2007, 11:18 AM
Post #11

You know, I don't understand that either because all those Chicago people have to drive right past the mall to get to the outlet mall. Marquette should step up their advertising along 94 to try to draw in the out-of-town shoppers on their way uptown. Since most of the stores are privately owned specialty shops, that would be a good angle.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 24 2007, 11:26 AM
Post #12

Still seems like they need a popular draw like a tj maxx, but why would they go there instead of Lighthouse?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Oct 24 2007, 11:27 AM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Oct 24 2007, 12:04 PM) *

Good question. If you think about it, what was the last chain store to open up there? All of the places that have opened in the last few years at least have been individual proprietors, which means they don't have the customer base or name recognition, and it also means they probably don't have the capitol to take a short to medium term loss while they build a following.

If you mean anchor stores, I'm not sure which of the three opened most recently. Carsons, Penneys, and Sears have een at the Mall as long as I can remember. But, the last "chain" store was Bath & Body Works.

+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 24 2007, 11:30 AM
Post #14

The mall opened with the same three anchors it has now. Those have never changed.

It might survive if it could get more trendy stores in there. The problem is the volume isn't enough and the trendy stores don't want to move there. I was a retail guru for a while (many years ago) and was in management. The trendy stores like Zumiez and Hot Topic would help bring business, but those stores won't go to Marquette because there's not enough business. Vicous cycle. So the mall will have to do something first to draw more people in, then those stores will come and the mall will boom again.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 24 2007, 11:35 AM
Post #15

The restaurant (Appleby's?) seems to be busy most of the time. A good food court may work.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 24 2007, 11:36 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 24 2007, 12:35 PM) *

The restaurant (Appleby's?) seems to be busy most of the time. A good food court may work.

They tried a food court years back. It failed pretty badly.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 26 2007, 07:52 AM
Post #17

I don''t remember that. How about a good one with more at the mall to encourage traffic?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 26 2007, 07:59 AM
Post #18

It was where the Old Country Buffet ended up being. It didn't last very long, as places closed up shop pretty quickly.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 26 2007, 08:42 AM
Post #19

I remember that food court. I think the only people that ate there were employees from the stores. They didn't have very good choices of food places.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Oct 26 2007, 09:40 AM
Post #20

Really Comfortable

Isn't that where Schoop's was when they first moved into MC? That was the only place I ever remember going in the former food court.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:17 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com