Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...;ArticleID=6319

Espar Prevails In 2nd Ward

Jason Miller
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Marc Espar knows his election to the 2nd Ward seat on the Michigan City Common Council Tuesday was a signal.

By beating incumbent Paul Przybylinski in the May primary and Republican Keith Harris Tuesday, Espar is the choice of ward voters to bring what other council representatives and candidates say will be a dose of professionalism to the seat.

Espar said Tuesday night that he welcomes the pressure.

"They've put as much pressure on me as I'd put on myself and the council to step forward and put their money where their mouths are," Espar said Tuesday night. "I owe it to the residents of Michigan City to deliver on my promises."

Espar beat Harris 366-195, with 65.24 percent of the vote.

Harris said Tuesday he was pleased with his campaign and that of his opponent. He lauded Espar for running a clean campaign and said both men should be proud.

"I don't know what else different I could've done," Harris said. "I think I did everything the way it's supposed to be done. The voters who came out made their choice, and I respect that. That's what the process is all about."

Harris said he was disappointed by what he said was a voter turnout in Michigan City of around 12 percent. The actual turnout in the 2nd Ward was about 16 percent.

"We need to give them a reason to want to come out," he said, adding that many residents asked him if he planned to run again in four years. "I can't commit to anything four years from now, but I do intend to stay active and help bring the Republican Party back in Michigan City."

Mayor Chuck Oberlie said Tuesday night he was impressed with Harris. He said he hoped the Republican wants to stay active in city government.

"The campaign in the 2nd Ward was very good. I hope Keith Harris stays involved," Oberlie said. "We have positions that need Republicans on them and I'd certainly find a way to incorporate his philosophy into what we're trying to do."

"I would be more than willing to consider serving in that capacity," Harris said. "If the mayor wants to send something my way, I'd certainly consider it," Harris said.

q

Contact reporter Jason Miller at jmiller@thenewsdispatch.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 7 2007, 10:08 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

It is shocking that so few votes are cast, both in the primary and in the general elections. Does the population of the Second Ward not care?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 7 2007, 10:10 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Nov 7 2007, 10:08 AM) *

It is shocking that so few votes are cast, both in the primary and in the general elections. Does the population of the Second Ward not care?

22% of LP Co registered voters went to the polls
16% of the 2nd Ward went to the polls
12% of the whole of MC went to the polls.

Its sad, but no one cared.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Nov 7 2007, 10:15 AM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Nov 7 2007, 10:08 AM) *

next pet peeve? wink.gif
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 7 2007, 10:21 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 10

I honestly think it's not that people don't care. It's more of a "What difference will it make?" mindset.

People don't vote because they think it won't matter anyway. Nothing is going to change so why should they take the time to go vote? Personally, I like the paid time out of the office so I always vote and pick the busiest time to go. wink.gif

Seriously, though. I believe that things have been going wrong in MC for so long that the people have lost the drive to fight the wrongness and make changes. This is exactly why Angie is needed on the council. She has the guts and the determination to make a difference, and all it takes is one person to ripple the water. You know? I believe Angie is that person. Through determination and hard work, she can (will) make a difference.

Maybe the next election won't have such a poor turnout. One can only hope.....

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 7 2007, 11:06 AM
Post #6

Right on, Ang!

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 7 2007, 11:12 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Nov 7 2007, 10:06 AM) *

Right on, Ang!

Thanks Roger.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 7 2007, 11:55 AM
Post #8

Here's an interesting story I found on ND written by the Marquette student. Pretty insightful for a teenaged high-schooler....

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=45916.85

Why We Don'tVote
Dylan Buell
Marquette High School

As the calendar turned another month this past week, I couldn't help but realize how quickly the year has gone by. Both volleyball and spell bowl are going to state, seniors are already starting to get accepted to college, including myself (Iowa!) and I'm starting to see Christmas commercials already.

Another idea that got me thinking is that next year's presidential elections are going to be taking place and I'll be able to vote. I got excited at first, knowing that I had some sort of influence, but then I stopped and asked myself, "Do I even want to vote?"

I know turnout has been low, not just for youth, but the entire population. According to Youth Vote Coalition, for youth ages 18 to 24, the percentage of those who vote has gone down 5 percent since 1972, including a 15 percent decrease in Indiana. Only 15 states had growth.

I then got to thinking why this is, and came up with some theories as to why we don't vote.

• We feel our votes don't matter. Although people say everyone's vote counts, that is sometimes not true. In states that are traditionally conservative (Texas) or liberal (California), if you happen to have opposite views of that state, your vote won't matter because of the next problem with our voting system.

• The Electoral College. Why should a state be assigned a number and then have it be chosen as either a red or blue state? I thought the president is elected by the people. The popular vote should decide.

• Political parties. Honestly, there is no positive aspect of political parties. It's just a way of making the government faceless. George Washington warned us against using them, and now they have a stranglehold on government.

• There is no one worth voting for. When was the last time you got excited about who was going to be president? I think the last time was John F. Kennedy. Each of the candidates you look at has major faults. It's like a history class article said: "Where have all the giants gone?" Inspirational people like JFK and Franklin Roosevelt are nowhere to be found.

• We aren't required to participate. It was comedian Lewis Black who said, "The great part about democracy is that you don't have to do it."

Now that we know the problems, what's to be done? Catie Vernon says, "You can't force people to vote. It seems like that's contrary to democracy." What about some incentive? A tax refund? Health perks? A half-off coupon for a large Papa John's pizza? It could work. Something must be done.

So will I vote in 2008? I guess I'll find out next year.

Dylan Buell, a senior at Marquette Catholic High School is a student-columnist for The News-Dispatch. Views expressed are the writer's, not necessarily the school's or the newspaper's.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 7 2007, 12:35 PM
Post #9

Eh, it sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. I wonder where "Its too cold" and "American Idol is cooler" rank on that list?

Its a pet peeve of mine when people downplay voting. Just about everyone has no problem complaining about the finished product of our political state. To me, if you aren't working to solve the problem, you are the problem. Voting is the one easy way that everyone can make their voice heard. If you can't even do that much, I do not want to hear you complain about what you see wrong in politics. Then to see a quote about incentives being needed to get people to vote? If the future of your community and country isn't an incentive, I don't think there really needs to be much more said for you.

I truely believe American's ignorance of politics is exactly why we have desended into the state of being that we are in today. If people actually held their politicians accountable, instead of just saying "it doesn't matter", things might actually start to change. Until that time, nothing will change, and it is the fault of American's in general, and not just the politicians.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 8 2007, 08:43 AM
Post #10

Buell reveals his youth! What young people need to realize is that the old folks who vote get all the gov't attention (read: Money). Young people need to vote or their desires will continue to be ignored.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Dave
post Nov 8 2007, 10:54 PM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

"When you vote, you are exercising political authority, you're using force. And force my friends is violence. The supreme authority from which all other authorities are derived."
-- Starship Troopers

I have to say I wasn't too wild about that movie, but this quote came to mind.

Voting is the only way the people can exercise control over their government. At the local level, where most day to day matters which effect us all take place, one's vote carries more weight. I was one of just over 2000 people who voted in this municipal election; I'll be one of 100 million in the presidential election.

Who has a greater direct impact on our property values, total tax dollars, and quality of life, the people we send to Indianapolis and Washington, or the people we send to city hall? I have to think the answer to that is city hall.

Which is why it baffles me that voter turnout for these elections is as low as it is. These are the votes that really count, people!

I hope that over the next 4 years more people find this discussion group. Mayhaps we can all use it to organize some kind of "get out the vote" movement.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 9 2007, 08:26 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(Dave @ Nov 8 2007, 10:54 PM) *

-- Starship Troopers

I have to say I wasn't too wild about that movie, but this quote came to mind.

Voting is the only way the people can exercise control over their government. At the local level, where most day to day matters which effect us all take place, one's vote carries more weight. I was one of just over 2000 people who voted in this municipal election; I'll be one of 100 million in the presidential election.

Who has a greater direct impact on our property values, total tax dollars, and quality of life, the people we send to Indianapolis and Washington, or the people we send to city hall? I have to think the answer to that is city hall.

Which is why it baffles me that voter turnout for these elections is as low as it is. These are the votes that really count, people!

I hope that over the next 4 years more people find this discussion group. Mayhaps we can all use it to organize some kind of "get out the vote" movement.

I think the best "get out the vote" movement there is, is a discussion of the issues. The more people are committed to the issues and the ideals in their community, the more likely they are to get out and vote. By having in depth discussions on things, we give the people an opportunity to form an educated opinion on the things that will be shaping their daily lives in our community. Apathy is our enemy. The more people that disengage themselves from the political process, the less incentive there is for whomever is in power to work for change.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 9 2007, 09:37 AM
Post #13

A portion of Starship Troopers was filmed right here in good ol' Casper Wyoming at a place called Hell's Half Acre. At the end, when they are fighting on the bug homeworld--well, the bug homeworld is really Hell's Half Acre. I've got pics of the place on my puter at home, I'll have to post 'em so you guys can see what the place looks like when it's not infested with bugs.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 9 2007, 12:56 PM
Post #14

Or moviemakers.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:24 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com