Southsider2k12
post Jun 13 2008, 02:17 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=58546.38

Monkey Business
Primate escapes from Washington Park Zoo, captured on nearby boat.

Jason Miller
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Boaters along Trail Creek got a surprise Wednesday when a spider monkey made a break from Washington Park Zoo and ended up on a speedboat at neighboring B&E Marine.

"They're so sociable, we figured they'd be all right out there while we were cleaning the moat," zoo director Johnny Martinez said Thursday. "But he made a break for it. It was the Great Escape."

Martinez said workers had replaced a group of nocturnal lemurs recently with the two new spider monkeys because lemurs rarely came out onto the island during the day.

Workers had emptied the moat surrounding Monkey Island for cleaning, thinking the monkeys would stay inside despite the fact no water was there to serve as a barricade.

Martinez said one monkey saw a garden hose near the edge and used it to climb up and over the moat wall. He then managed to jump onto the roof of the neighboring water filtration plant.

"We have procedures and we worked them. We herded him toward water and away from woods (near Krueger Hill and Canada Park) because if he got into the woods we'd lose him," Martinez said. "He got onto the roof, then we herded him toward the water."

Martinez said the monkey - which is sociable and not a danger to humans - hopped over several boats before being surrounded on top of a white and blue speedboat at B&E Marine.

Zoo employees managed to capture the monkey while his back was turned. He was kept inside until Thursday morning when he was released back onto the island with the other spider monkey.

"It took about an hour, but that's about right because you want to take it slow," Martinez said. "He was never a threat to anybody. All he did was panic a few boaters."

Contact Jason Miller at jmiller@thenewsdispatch.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Michelle
post Jun 13 2008, 10:22 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 787

No comments on this? It seems like this should be comedic gold, but I've got nothing.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jun 13 2008, 11:16 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

QUOTE(Michelle @ Jun 13 2008, 11:22 PM) *

No comments on this? It seems like this should be comedic gold, but I've got nothing.

Maybe we should change the name of Monkey Island to Gitmo?

Nope. Reaching too far to be funny. I got nothin' either.
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post Jun 14 2008, 08:02 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 756

QUOTE(Dave @ Jun 14 2008, 12:16 AM) *

Maybe we should change the name of Monkey Island to Gitmo?

Nope. Reaching too far to be funny. I got nothin' either.

"We have procedures and we worked them. We herded him toward water and away from woods (near Krueger Hill and Canada Park) because if he got into the woods we'd lose him," Martinez said. "He got onto the roof, then we herded him toward the water."

They herded him toward the water...put him on the Park Board...and now there's one more vote to spend $6M on Baywatch HQ!
laugh.gif

Signature Bar
"If a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." - Duke of Edinburgh.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jun 16 2008, 08:57 AM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 43

This story actually made the AP newswire, and was run in the "Odd News" section of Yahoo! last Friday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080614/ap_on_...d_monkey_escape

Spider monkey uses garden hose to flee Indiana zoo Fri Jun 13, 8:45 PM ET

MICHIGAN CITY, Ind. - A spider monkey used a garden hose to scale the wall of a moat at a Michigan City zoo before being captured at a nearby boat dealership.

One of two spider monkeys recently added to the Washington Park Zoo broke out of its enclosure this week while workers were cleaning the moat, which had been emptied of water.

Zoo Director Johnny Martinez says workers had figured the monkeys would remain inside their enclosure during the cleaning despite the lack of water in the moat to act as a barricade.

Once past the moat Wednesday, the escaped monkey jumped onto the roof of a water filtration plant. Martinez says zoo staff recaptured it at the dealership atop a white and blue speedboat.

Martinez says the monkey is sociable and posed no danger to people.

___

Information from: The News-Dispatch, http://www.michigancityin.com
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 17 2008, 11:31 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 3

I do not see why the entire monkey colony should be penned in. It certainly would attract attention and visitors to "Visit the Michigan City Wild Monkey" open range.

By the way, did you see the letter from PETA in today's paper? Could it be added, please?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Jun 17 2008, 11:35 AM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 43

Um, ok...no zoos? That seems a bit extreme to me. I mean, I always thought of them as educational, not harmful...

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=48814.84

6/17/2008 11:00:00 AM
End Captivity Of Wildlife
Regarding the story "Monkey business," Friday, it's little wonder that the spider monkey who escaped from the Washington Park Zoo longed to be free.

In the jungles and rain forests where they belong, spider monkeys seek mates, raise their young, spend time with friends, and explore and play. They have rich emotional lives and complex social structures. In captivity, these intelligent primates become neurotic, frustrated and desperate by their inability to have any control over their own lives.

There is no justification for keeping these amazing animals in cages for our fleeting distraction and amusement. People who don't want to support the cruel treatment of animals should continue to avoid zoos and roadside menageries.

Jennifer O'Connor
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals
Norfolk, Va.

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 17 2008, 11:45 AM
Post #8

Yeah, I pretty much quit reading at the mention of PETA...
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 17 2008, 12:20 PM
Post #9

PETA slaughtered thousands of dogs that they could not place anywhere. PETA is not a good organization to support.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Dave
post Jun 17 2008, 04:08 PM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 482

I generally don't like to go to zoos myself, because for me it has too much of an "animals in jail" feel to it for me. I support zoos, however, because of their educational, research, and rare animal breeding programs.

I haven't been to the Washington Park zoo in probably 15 years (I went once long before I moved here). I might have to go check it out again to see the upgrades.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 17 2008, 05:49 PM
Post #11

The upgrades are SOOOOO much nicer. It doesn't feel nearly like a prison for animals anymore.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 18 2008, 08:56 AM
Post #12

In the picture in the ND, did you happen to notice Gary Hart peeking out of a hatch?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 18 2008, 08:58 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 10

There was a picture of the monkey escaping? Did it happen to look like Michael Harding?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 18 2008, 09:20 AM
Post #14

Just part of it did!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 18 2008, 09:54 AM
Post #15

The backside?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 18 2008, 10:41 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(Ang @ Jun 18 2008, 09:58 AM) *

There was a picture of the monkey escaping? Did it happen to look like Michael Harding?

I can't believe you would be so rude and insensative to say such a thing. I feel for that poor monkey you just insulted. mad.gif

laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 18 2008, 11:12 AM
Post #17

NOW I think PETA needs to get involved!!!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 18 2008, 04:55 PM
Post #18

blush.gif My humblest apologies to all the Monkeys in the zoo. I did not mean to offend any of you in this manner. I hope you can find it in your hearts to forgive me. blush.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:24 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com