Southsider2k12
post Feb 2 2012, 01:24 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2012/0...c6776434086.txt

Michigan City Fire Department losing four veterans to retirement

Michigan City Fire Chief Ronnie Martin (second from left) poses with Capt. Gary Faucher (from left), Capt. Nate Williams and Operator Greg Wallen. Photo provided
By Tim Moran
Staff Writer
Published: Wednesday, February 1, 2012 5:07 PM CST
MICHIGAN CITY — The Michigan City Fire Department will lose more than 100 years of experience by the end of February due to the retirements of four key members of the department.

Capt. Nate Williams, who has been on the force for 34 years, says Michigan City has allowed him “a wonderful opportunity” to provide service.

“The quality of the reward of knowing you have a serious problem, and to be able to provide that kind of service to lessen the drama, is a good feeling,” said Williams, who officially retired earlier this month.

His leave comes during the same two-month span as other retirements, including Capt. Gary Faucher, a 33-year veteran, Assistant Chief Willie Milsap, who was hired during the same month as Williams, and Greg Wallen, who has been a driver and operator for the department for 23 years.

Wallen says while there has been numerous moments where a certain amount of pride has complemented the service, the camaraderie with the other firefighters is what he will miss the most.

“The guys,” he said. “I’ve had a great opportunity to work with a diverse group of people, a group that is almost better than family – they are family.”

The feeling of having the ability to provide “calmness” during highly chaotic situations is the most rewarding part of a stressful occupation, Wallen says.

“I can’t begin to describe the feeling of fulfillment,” he said. “You can always tell when you’ve made a difference.”

Fire Chief Ronnie Martin says Wallen may be responsible “for a few extra pounds” other firefighters have gained.

“Greg was always one of the better cooks we’ve had,” the chief said.

Wallen says his goal, ever since growing up near the Coolspring Avenue fire station in Michigan City, was to become a member of the fire department.

But Foucher said it wasn’t until he met Capt. Williams when the two were neighbors in the Sheridan Beach area during the late 1970s that he received the inspiration to become a firefighter.

Since then, the 15-year captain says he has “always enjoyed” going to work.

“I’ve loved being a fireman,” he said while serving his final day on duty Monday afternoon.

“There are so many moments to remember,” he said, “but I liked the fact that you never knew what you have until you get there.”

Each situation is, indeed, unique, including one incident Martin remembers regarding a woman trapped inside a vehicle on Meer Road.

“Seeing Capt. Foucher had a comforting effect on her and helped make her feel assured everything would turn out alright,” Martin said.

Martin said one thing he will always remember about Williams, who received state recognition for his physical ability, is his prowess.

“If I can do anything near what he can at his age, I will be very happy,” Martin said, remembering that Williams “blew everyone (in his age group) out of the water” during a 2005 combat challenge held in Michigan City.

Milsap, who says he is retiring to focus more time on his duties as a La Porte County commissioner, has held a number of positions with the department since his hiring in 1978.

Since then, he has “worked his way up” the ranks, serving as an engineer/operator, lieutenant, captain, administrative captain, public-information officer, training officer, assistant chief and deputy chief.

“Even though we are retiring, we are still firefighters,” he said. “Just like lawyers, doctors and police officers. Once you have that profession, you always have to be ready to jump in.”

Working 24-hour shifts 10 days a month, the retirees say they will miss the family atmosphere and closeness while returning to the station after putting out a significant blaze.

“These guys are family,” Wallen said. “Anyone would drop what they are doing to help another firefighter.”

Williams says it’s the “clean feeling” a firefighter gets from saving someone’s life that makes the service worthwhile.

“That is the joy that sticks out more than any other,” he said. “I only hope that somewhere along the line I made a difference.”
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:35 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com