> YMCA should be re-opened
lovethiscity
post Jun 27 2008, 08:08 PM
Post #21

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 41

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jun 27 2008, 11:30 AM) *

so what is going on with the petitions to make the parks dept hq there?

anybody interested call me at 879-3772 Michael
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Marram
post Jun 27 2008, 09:06 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 505

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Jun 27 2008, 09:08 PM) *

anybody interested call me at 879-3772 Michael

879-3772 MI - CHAEL

Let's see: "588-2300, Em-pire!" and "773-202, Lu-na" just have a better ring to them. And you can actually dial the "Luna" number. How about "219-879 DQ-pa?" If the eighth number were an eight instead of a seven, it would be even better as "219-879 du-pa". Or you could use "879-3772, SaveThe-Y." And, for you Heroes fans, "Save the Y, save the World" has a nice little ring, but you can't dial that at all.

On second thought, 879-3772 Mi-chael doesn't really sound that bad.

Signature Bar
"The country needs and, unless I mistake its temper, the country demands bold, persistent experimentation. It is common sense to take a method and try it: If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Oglethorpe University Commencement Address (22 May 1932)
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 18 2009, 12:27 PM
Post #23

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=48304.85

Parks should acquire YMCA
Doesn't the Michigan City Park Board feel it is demeaning to continue squabbling like a bunch of pre-schoolers to pick up the cast-offs of the school district? The Park Department is allowed to use facilities IF the school isn't using them. And another: How much notice must the schools give the parks? A year? A week? That could make planning activities a real delight!

Park Department: Solve the problem with your own building - the YMCA building! I cannot imagine that Centier Bank would not be willing to negotiate the $463,342.42 unpaid mortgage, especially since the property went back on the tax rolls in December with an assessed valuation of $1,594,400. The amount attributable to the land is $116,000 The $1,478,400 remainder is the assessed value of the building.

Let's see, at 33,081 square feet, that's a little under $45 per square foot.

I'm not an appraiser or a contractor, but I do know that you can't put up a stick-built house for $45 a square foot.

Yes, the building needs a lot of work. A million dollars worth is probably understating it. But last year the department announced its intent to issue bonds to build a new office building at the lakefront.

The former park superintendent wanted to be near the beach for summer safety reasons. That would give them an office and a place for the lifeguards to store their gear and hang out in a storm!

The YMCA property would give them office space, meeting rooms AND two gyms, a racquetball court and a swimming pool. A pool where the department could sponsor swimming lessons, life-saving classes for future life guards, income from rentals by hosts of pool parties.

Folks could have water therapy, exercise and lap swimming (not everyone's a runner!). It's a crime that a city the size of Michigan City has only one swimming pool and that one with very limited public access.

A facility for beach patrol and lifeguard gear? Use a trailer! You could remove it at the end of the summer and you would not have to excavate it from the sand that's blown in over the winter!

The new splash park is a great idea. It will be a big summer draw for parents of young children, but you can't give the kiddies swimming lessons in it!

A year-round recreational facility in the well-located East Coolspring Avenue location would be a facility for all the people. Get Centier Bank in negotiations. Now!

By the way, how about an attempt to increasing your area (and your tax base) to the boundaries

of the school district?

Janet Greenwald

Michiana Shores
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Mar 28 2014, 09:59 AM
Post #24

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

I was thinking last night that the YMCA could reopen at Elston. They got everything needed, pool, gym, classrooms, kitchen, field etc..
+Quote Post
Jesse B
post Mar 28 2014, 02:15 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Member No.: 999

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Mar 28 2014, 10:59 AM) *

I was thinking last night that the YMCA could reopen at Elston. They got everything needed, pool, gym, classrooms, kitchen, field etc..

I was thinking they should raze the YMCA and Elston, less chance for vagrants over time.

+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Mar 29 2014, 06:29 AM
Post #26

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(Jesse B @ Mar 28 2014, 03:15 PM) *

I was thinking they should raze the YMCA and Elston, less chance for vagrants over time.
The YMCA on Coolspring is owned by a private individual now. Don't know what he plans on doing with it.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 29 2014, 07:43 AM
Post #27

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Mar 29 2014, 07:29 AM) *

cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jesse B @ Mar 28 2014, 03:15 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
The YMCA on Coolspring is owned by a private individual now. Don't know what he plans on doing with it.

If they wanted, the City could easily condemn the property.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:58 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com