post Apr 24 2007, 11:33 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../news/news4.txt

Work Begins On New Wal-Mart Supercenter

By Jason Miller, The News-Dispatch

After waiting more than three years for any signs of life near the corner of U.S. 421 and County Road 400 North, lovers of discount shopping now have a reason to get excited.

“This is just one more olive out of the bottle,” Mayor Chuck Oberlie said Monday. “It's another step toward creating a regional retail draw on the city's south side.”

Construction began last week on the site of a planned Wal-Mart Supercenter, which city officials hope will be open for business by the end of 2008.

First confirmed by officials from the city and Wal-Mart some three years ago, the project has been slow to develop, in part because building at the site involved mitigating a wetland area.

Michigan City Planner John Pugh said Monday that mitigation work at the site became prolonged because the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers - which oversees wetland work - was short of personnel either because employees were working in the hurricane ravaged Gulf Coast region or serving in the military.

“Those were Wal-Mart's issues and they got them taken care of, so now the work has started,” Pugh said. “They got all their permits, brought in their site plans and everything cleared.”

The project is a large one and includes the new store, as well as an extension of the city's Frontage Road that allows access to other “big box” stores along the corridor like Menards, Lowe's and Meijer.

County Road 400 North - known as Keiffer Road at its intersection with U.S. 421 - will also be widened over a mile-and-a-half swath from Woodland Avenue on the east to Ohio Street on the west.

Michigan City and LaPorte County are working in tandem on the road project because it serves as the city's southern boundary. Currently, the city is still trying to purchase three pieces of property along the road that are needed for the widening.

“Wal-Mart plans on building three driveways that will tie to the new section of road, so that's property we need to purchase,” Pugh said. “We're hoping we have them all soon because we'd like to start bid letting in May.”

A May bid process, Pugh said, would allow the city and county to begin work on the widening project in June or July. He said the project would likely take 12 months, which is in line with the construction schedule presented to Pugh by Wal-Mart.

“You'll see work on the building and on the road at the same time,” he said. “We'd like it all to be done by the end of 2008.”

While the south end of Franklin Street has become a shopping mecca in recent decades, the joint effort between the city and county on the Wal-Mart project has officials hoping for similar projects in the future.

County officials have alluded to the fact recently that they have been in talks with several businesses interested in locating just south of Michigan City on the southern edge of I-94.

Such businesses, though, require utilities at the site, of which there currently are none.

Oberlie said the city and county are working together in an effort to bring the needed infrastructure to the area. The move would be beneficial to both municipalities in that the county would receive tax benefits from the business and the city would add users to its sewer and water service.

According to Oberlie, the county has retained an engineer to design a sewer and water system to be built underneath I-94. He had no timeline for possible work on a sewer project.

“I want to see that area reach its full potential and this is a great opportunity for that,” Oberlie said.

Wal-Mart previously announced that once the building is complete it will move from its current location in Lake Park Plaza. The company said it will try to find a tenant to move into its current location.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 24 2007, 11:54 AM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

While it's nice to read that Wal-Mart is expanding their business in our town, this will leave yet another empty store on South Franklin. Once the new building is complete and Wal-Mart moves their operation, we'll be left with 2 empty stores in Lake Park Plaza, let alone the now vacant site where Toys R Us once was located...and let's not forget about Dunes Plaza or the small building that once housed a Popeye's.

Also, what will the effect be on the locally owned grocery stores, like Al's and K&M? I'm not so sure this is great news.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 24 2007, 05:06 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 10

One good thing for the stores like Al's and K&M is that they have a loyal customer base. For instance, my grandfather is 86 years old and has shopped at K&M ever since there was a store there. Sometimes he goes to Jewel to get things not found at K&M, but that's it. Those are the only two grocery stores he will go to. Al's is the same. I know many people who only shop at an Al's store. They like the product selection and the service. Many of these people look at the store employees as their friends, even though they only see them while shopping at the store. Another good thing for the Mom and Pop stores is that they are in locations with neighborhood loyalty. Like K&M. Its location is in a predominately low income area, the people don't have transporation to drive all the way across town to shop at Super Wal-Mart so they'll walk to K&M instead.
I do agree with Jenny about the empty buildings. One of the problems with City government today is they only look at the first page of the story. They don't seem too concerned with the aftermath of their decisions. They need to stop and think, "How will this decision effect us in a month, or six months or a year?" Instead they say, "Hey!! A new store! This will create more jobs and boost our economy" not even considering the effect it will have later on. They should have been trying to find a new tenant for Toys-R-Us BEFORE the store left and they should be looking for a new tenant in the current Wal-Mart location NOW.
Finally, Super Wal-Mart is totally over-rated. We have two where I live and I would gladly give both of them up for just one Meijer--even if I had to drive all the way across town to shop there.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 24 2007, 02:56 PM
Post #4

Good points on loyalty, and to expand on that, I think some of that is loyalty by necesity. Both K&M and Al's are much nearer the population centers, especially the poorer areas, in which not as many people can afford dependable transportation. I think this helps these stores out a bunch.

I do find it peculiar that we are so worried about tearing down buildings like the Works and Pullman standard buildings, but places that have been mentioned already in this thread are still standing empty, with no visable prospects for occupation. I'd much rather save the historical buildings than some of these fly-by-night companies who leave when their depreciations or abatements are up.

This post has been edited by Ang: Apr 26 2007, 12:44 PM
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Apr 25 2007, 10:11 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 90

what a waste of space. Walmart is not gonna offer any more than Meijer, aldi's, the various dollar stores, and so on, already do. Besides the loss of the space for something actually new in town, we present a poorer image to people coming into MC: Walmart is at best declasse, and Super Walmart is just super declasse.

The only good thing is if it gets the city and county planning clowns off the sofa and doing some real planning for the future. And I suppose it will give the people moving into the section 8 housing somewhere to shop.
+Quote Post
mcvoter
post Apr 26 2007, 12:39 PM
Post #6

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 221

QUOTE(Max Main @ Apr 25 2007, 11:11 AM) *

what a waste of space. Walmart is not gonna offer any more than Meijer, aldi's, the various dollar stores, and so on, already do. Besides the loss of the space for something actually new in town, we present a poorer image to people coming into MC: Walmart is at best declasse, and Super Walmart is just super declasse.

The only good thing is if it gets the city and county planning clowns off the sofa and doing some real planning for the future. And I suppose it will give the people moving into the section 8 housing somewhere to shop.

Good point! However, we must have a city planner who actually has the energy to plan - past performance indicates otherwise.
Does anyone know if the SW is in a TIFF District? SW should have been told to provide its own utilities!!
Another bit of information for everyone. MC is classified under the MS4 storm water regulations that govern the quantity and quality of storm water that may be discharged from a development and/or re-development. Typically the municipality issues a Rule 13 permit to a development that stipulates the amount and quality of run-off from the development. These permits are based on a fee - typically $250 to $500 per acre to cover the municipalities cost for review and permit issuance.
So, the City is 1. Not collecting a further revenue source, 2. Is not following EPA Rule 13 guidelines for Water Quality, 3. Is not requiring Super Walmart to treat its parking lot run-off prior to its discharge into the receiving water for removal of oils, grease, flotables, and solids, and, 4. Is not following its own storm water ordinance ---
Just another poor excuse for the current administration ---
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 26 2007, 12:45 PM
Post #7

Without knowing for sure, I would just about bet that the new WMT has an abatement of some sort. I think the old WMT has been town about 15 years now, which would just about be the life of an abatement needed to attract an anchor chain to a place where none exsisted at that time, and that is why they are looking for a new facility. It isn't just typical of MC, but it is a typical business practice nationwide. I don't have any information or proof one way or the other, but I do know my history.
+Quote Post
coco46
post Apr 26 2007, 01:39 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 36

IDEM aproved the rule 5 permits for storm controls. Rule 5 will remain in effect until the state aproves the adopted ordinances of the MS4 participants (Trail Creek, Long Beach, Laporte, Laporte County and MC). The County and Trail Creek approved the MS4 ordinances last week. Once the county receives state approval, rule 13 will be implemented locally. The administrative expense is shared by the participating governments thus saving the taxpayers money.

The county MS4 coordinator did review the sw plans.

Neither Wmt or Swt have tax abatement.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 26 2007, 01:43 PM
Post #9

The abatement news is nice to hear. The more corporations we have on the tax rolls, the better. I guess all Wal-Mart is getting out of the deal is a new set of depreciations schedules for their taxes.

Thanks for the information.
+Quote Post
mcvoter
post Apr 26 2007, 02:09 PM
Post #10

Getting Comfortable

QUOTE(coco46 @ Apr 26 2007, 02:39 PM) *

IDEM aproved the rule 5 permits for storm controls. Rule 5 will remain in effect until the state aproves the adopted ordinances of the MS4 participants (Trail Creek, Long Beach, Laporte, Laporte County and MC). The County and Trail Creek approved the MS4 ordinances last week. Once the county receives state approval, rule 13 will be implemented locally. The administrative expense is shared by the participating governments thus saving the taxpayers money.

The county MS4 coordinator did review the sw plans.

Neither Wmt or Swt have tax abatement.

Thanks, You should also be aware that Rule 5 covers soil and erosion control before, during, and after construction, until such time that a Notice of Termination is filed with the IDEM. An amedment to Rule 5 also covers post construction. Your ordinance covers water quality (as well as quantity), and is the legal authority to enforce Rule 13. The state DOES NOT have to approve your ordinance prior to the City enforcing same. Once the storm water ordinance is passed by the municipality it is law.
I will ask the same questions again - Why is Wal-Mart not complying with Rule 13 as it relates to the increase in water quantity run-off and water quality degredation? and why isn't Michigan City requiring developers to complete and obtain a storm water discharge permit prior to receiving a building permit?
The adminstrative expense should be borne by the developers through a Storm Water Permitting system. The county MS4 coordinator does not review the plans for compliance with pre-development/post-development run-off increase or post construction water quality compliance ---
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 26 2007, 02:31 PM
Post #11

Just out of curiosity, mcvoter, what exactly is it that you do that you know so much about all the ordinances? Do you work for the City in some capacity? The water and sanitation dept perhaps?

This post has been edited by Ang: Apr 26 2007, 02:32 PM

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
mcvoter
post Apr 26 2007, 03:21 PM
Post #12

Getting Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Apr 26 2007, 03:31 PM) *

Just out of curiosity, mcvoter, what exactly is it that you do that you know so much about all the ordinances? Do you work for the City in some capacity? The water and sanitation dept perhaps?

No, I do not work for the City. Just try to read as much as possible ---
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Apr 27 2007, 10:58 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Again, the city administration seems to be so hot for the appearance of progress that all the rules that are supposed to be followed and the thoughtful consideration of the logterm consequences and opportunity costs all go by the wayside. THIS IS WHY WE NEED NEW PEOPLE IN THESE POSITIONS.
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Apr 27 2007, 11:04 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

PS: See www.wakeupwalmart.com
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Feb 24 2008, 07:47 PM
Post #15

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Apr 26 2007, 01:43 PM) *

The abatement news is nice to hear. The more corporations we have on the tax rolls, the better. I guess all Wal-Mart is getting out of the deal is a new set of depreciations schedules for their taxes.

Thanks for the information.

But, SuperWal-mart falls within a TIF dist. keeping the funds from reaching the tax rolls.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Feb 27 2008, 10:43 AM
Post #16

Seems to me that building went up fast! It looks like it's about ready to open.
It looks exactly like the two Wal-Narts we have here. The only difference is you have an entrance marked Pharmacy and something else and our two have a garden center entrance. Oh, and I believe yours is smaller than ours. But, remember, Casper is in the middle of nowhere. Then next town of any size is Gillette-which is 2 hours to the north, and Cheyenne which is two hours to the south. So, we have to be pretty self sufficient.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Dave
post Feb 27 2008, 01:53 PM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

QUOTE(Ang @ Feb 27 2008, 10:43 AM) *

Seems to me that building went up fast! It looks like it's about ready to open.
It looks exactly like the two Wal-Narts we have here. The only difference is you have an entrance marked Pharmacy and something else and our two have a garden center entrance. Oh, and I believe yours is smaller than ours. But, remember, Casper is in the middle of nowhere. Then next town of any size is Gillette-which is 2 hours to the north, and Cheyenne which is two hours to the south. So, we have to be pretty self sufficient.

Yeah, but size isn't supposed to matter....

What?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:00 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com