Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...;ArticleID=6526

Girls Soccer Player of the Year: Julianna Rivich

Nick Dettmann
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Duneland coaches are wishing Michigan City's Julianna Rivich was two years older.

That way they didn't have to worry about game-planning against her.

But unless, a change is made to Rivich's birth certificate, the sophomore right midfielder will be terrorizing DAC teams for two more years for the Wolves.

"I can't wait to see what she does the next two years," said City coach Stephanie Dege. "She can potentially play college somewhere. Any coach would be extremely lucky to have her."

This past season, Rivich scored 14 goals and added seven assists for a team-high 35 points. Last season as a freshman, Rivich scored 10 goals, which was second-most on the team.

In just two years, Rivich has scored 24 goals, and has proven to be one of the elite players in the DAC in just her second year of varsity. Adding to her accolades in her early high school career is the News-Dispatch's selection for area girls soccer player of the year.

"She has tremendous ability," Dege said. "She's a natural athlete. I love watching her play. ... (Opposing coaches) tend to stack their defense on their left side. They have a game-plan to stop her."

Last year, Dege played Rivich in the center midfield, which is an area Rivich said she does not feel she's at her best. But being out on the wing in the right midfield is where Rivich believes she is most effective, and her coach agrees.

"She does such a good job," Dege said. "She just draws people to her."

Even though Rivich is better on the outside because of her speed and crossing ability, Dege said she would still like to see Rivich play the center midfield as she did as a freshman.

Rivich does not prefer to play in the middle because the field tends to be more crowded and she can't utilize her skills in a crowded area. But for Dege, it is hard to keep someone of Rivich's caliber on the outside where there tend to be less scoring chances.

"She can score 14 (goals) on the right," Dege said. "I can't imagine how many she score in the middle."

Rivich does not see herself as one of the team leaders. But Dege sure does.

"She's got a certain charisma that people are just drawn to her," Dege said. "All the girls love her. I'm so looking forward to working with her for the next two years. ... She's really going to come into her own next year and take control of the team and I'm looking forward to seeing that."

Dege hopes Rivich can take on the leadership role, not only because of her natural talent, but because of her experience with already two years of varsity behind her.

But for Rivich, all she hopes for is that can be somewhat of an influence on her teammates.

"I definitely want to set a good example," she said. "I always try to help out my teammates."

It just seems like yesterday, Rivich said, that she was an incoming freshman.

"Last year as a freshman, I was nervous and shy because I didn't know what to expect," she said. "I played in the middle. It is a pretty important spot. I had a lot of pressure on me.

"This year, I played on the outside more. ... When you play with a certain group of girls, you know what to expect."

The strength of Rivich's game is her speed and ability to cross the ball from the outside into the scoring lanes in front of the net. But her weakness, she says, is her ball-handling skills.

And she hopes to improve on those this spring during the club season.

"I look forward to picking up better skills and moves," she said. "Anyone can just dribble, but can you do it around people? I hope to improve that area of my game. Hopefully that'll help our offense next year."

If that area improves, Duneland teams are going to have even more trouble with Rivich the next two seasons, which doesn't have them leaping for joy.

Contact sports writer Nick Dettmann at ndettmann@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 447.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Nov 13 2007, 12:54 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

What ability, and determination. It's great to see this in our soccer program.

btw, if you think Ms. Rivich is impressive, wait until you see the girls who will be playing in the next few years. From what I've heard, there are some great girls who will be playing (not sure if they'll be at Mqt or MC) coming out of the jr high level travel teams.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Nov 14 2007, 12:13 PM
Post #3

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Watch Maggie Gondeck in hoops--she is a great gal. Frosh.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:11 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com