Member No.: 2

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Oct 24 2011, 01:55 PM) *

Follow up by White...

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...b3510385997.txt

Proof of a problem

By Drew White
Unwritten No More
Published: Monday, October 31, 2011 9:23 AM CDT
I stood in line at a local establishment last week and a picture on the wall grabbed my attention.

The photo was an aerial shot of Ames Field with the stands packed. The picture was undated, but I’m guessing it is a pretty safe bet that it was taken during the Michigan City-Merrillville game in 2009 when the attendance was said to exceed 8,000 people.

Seeing the photo seemed an appropriate pick-me-up after last week’s column in which I wrote on the disappointing crowd for the Wolves’ opening round sectional game the Friday before.

Most of the feedback I received was positive. Many thanked me for saying something that was long overdue and others shared their disappointment in the crowd.

A few people, however, went on the defensive.

Some told me that the outcome of the game has nothing to do with the attendance while others shared their reasons for not being in the stands.

The responses I got that still have me scratching my head are a few people who have accused me of misrepresenting the attendance, saying that the photo I had taken with my cell phone camera was not an accurate representation of the actual crowd.

Despite the caption of the photo indicating that the photo had been taken midway through the first quarter, some questioned when I took the picture.

The photo I chose was indeed the barest of the crowd shots I took, but I also have photos from the opposite end of the grandstand as well as the midfield portion - both of which show plenty of room for seating.

I agree that there are times when pictures don’t tell the entire story. For evidence, look no further than my beloved alma mater of Indiana University.

Getting people to attend Hoosier football games has traditionally been a challenge. The first couple of years I was in Bloomington, every student living within the campus’s residence halls received free tickets to every home football game.

Even then, every fan had plenty of leg room.

So how is it that there are several photos used for promotional purposes that shows a standing-room-only crowd all clad in red?

No, it’s not Photoshop. It’s called the Ohio State Buckeyes.

You see, at a football-crazy school such as Ohio State, where getting tickets to the Horseshoe sometimes requires the luck of an actual horseshoe, a four-hour drive to Bloomington is about as close to a home game as many Buckeye faithful ever get.

It’s no coincidence that the last six Ohio State appearances in Bloomington have represented Indiana’s highest attendance of the season. The Buckeyes’ most recent appearance in 2009 had an attendance of 51,500 - more than any of the last nine Old Oaken Bucket games between Indiana and Purdue played at Memorial Stadium.

I suppose one could argue that Indiana’s taking advantage of the realization that scarlet and crimson are quite indistinguishable from a few thousand feet is a tad misrepresenting.

Then again, it’s not a fake photo and it conveys the message the marketing department wants to convey - that Memorial Stadium does get filled. On occasion.

Taking a picture of the Ames Field stands midway through the first quarter of a sectional game, is about as representative of the crowd as you’re going to get.

It accounts for those who might be a few minutes late arriving to their seats and it is early enough that those who tend to leave early are still present.

I’m still trying to figure out what I would have to gain by misrepresenting the crowd at Ames Field that night, as some thought I did. I can assure those who thought I had any motive other than illustrating just how bad the problem is, that just isn’t the case.

In order to solve a problem, you have to identify it.

If the pictures from that night don’t serve as proof of a problem, I’m not sure what does.

Contact sports writer Drew White at dwhite@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 447.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 31 2011, 11:53 AM
Post #122

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin

The terminology of "keep them here" is interesting. I can't tell if the implication is that they are being driven off or not.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/1...4b503267200.txt

Coaching changes detrimental to MCAS football

Published: Saturday, October 29, 2011 5:07 PM CDT
What’s really wrong with Michigan City football?

Every weekend we are bombarded with theories as to what is wrong with Michigan City football. One week it is socio-economic factors, then it’s an every four-year curse, then it’s the offense. Then it’s the defense, then it’s a failure to make big plays, then it’s a failure to control the game during the first quarter, then it’s big kids not being able to play Pop Warner, etc. These are all fine theories, but have little merit. Anyone who is even remotely interested in MC football can easily come to one glaring truism. Seniors who played on the football team this year have played under four different coaching regimes. Not just a new head coach but an entirely different coaching staff.

This assumes that they played on the freshman squad during their freshman year. How could anyone possibly expect results different than what we received when each of the last four years saw totally different coaching strategies?

Could you imagine the state of our country if we elected a new President, House and Senate every year?

Michigan City has all the right tools in place for a successful program. They have a beautiful field to play on with all the bells and whistles. They also have the sharpest-looking uniforms in the DAC. They have an extremely strong and active parent support organization and they have some of the most dedicated and hard-working players. So what is wrong?

It has got to be the coaching. The players this year were doomed the minute they were confronted with a new staff of coaches. However, they did not give up. These boys tried their hardest, did their best, and played some very exciting football. Not one single player ever started a game thinking, let’s go out and lose tonight.

It should be no surprise that the Chesterton coach asked to speak to the MC players, their determination showed! To all the Wolves players, I say, “thank you.” You provided some very exciting and enthusiastic football. To the parent organization, I say, “thank you.” Your support for the players both financially and emotionally was second to none.

To the coaching staff, I say, the jury is still out, only time will tell.

And finally, to the school administration, quit letting our boys down. Find a coaching staff that works and then keep them here. Give MC football a chance.

Jeff Fanson

Michigan City, IN
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Nov 10 2011, 01:01 AM
Post #123

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

Michigan City's Giorgio Karallas, Trent Ormsby and Kevin Kreighbaum have been named to the all-DAC football team.

Chesterton: Joe Troop, Chris Katsafaros, Ryley Harlow
Valparaiso: Jake Grossnickle, Andrew Kittridge, Andrew Schooler, Paul Andrie
Portage: Kenyotta Rollins, RaShaan Coleman, Zac Vardamen, Jordan Nieto
Merrillville: Kourtney Berry, Paul Carey, Darryl Peppers, Jake Raspopovich, Aaron Dye, Kevin Wilkerson, Brandon Spencer
Crown Point: Stephen Hutchison, Logan McRae, Cameron Tanner, Bill Van Cleef
Michigan City: Giorgio Karallas, Trent Ormsby, Kevin Kreighbaum
Lake Central: Ryan Gindle, Marco Radjenovic, Dylan Morang, David Yancey, Tyler Szczecina, Ike Spearman, Gelen Robinson
LaPorte: David Eldridge, Austin Epple, Taylor James

Offensive Co-MVP: Jake Raspopovich, Merrillville; David Yancey, Lake Central
Defensive MVP: Jake Grossnickle, Valparaiso
All DAC Kicker: Kyle Schmidt, Chesterton
All DAC Punter: Ryan Nix, Valparaiso

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 10 2011, 08:36 AM
Post #124

Karrallas was the MVP of that team, and he should be a 1st team DAC linebacker.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 18 2011, 09:12 AM
Post #125

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/1...85815083739.txt

Football team parents thank community

Published: Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:08 PM CST
The parents of the Michigan City High School Wolves football team thank the following 2011 game and meal sponsors: Dolson Insurance Agency, Root Funeral Home, Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance-Terri Nichols & Matt Shula, MC Pop Warner, IBEW Local #531, VANAIR, Members Advantage Credit Union, Harbour Trust & Investment Management Co., MTI Service Center Inc., Buffalo Wild Wings, Mayor Charles Oberlie, Sheriff Mike Mollenhauer, Sophia’s House of Pancakes, Albano’s, Dairy Queen, Cadence Environmental Energy, Red Lobster, Rodini’s, Memo’s House of Pancakes, Walmart, Martorano’s Roofing, Gene’s Sewer & Septic Service and Dr. Raheem-Raheem Medical Clinic.

We also want to thank the following for donating items for our Silent Auction at our annual banquet: Anytime Fitness, Avon-Shelly Herbert, Awesome Carwash, Beauty Control-Kim Schmidt, Ben’s Pretzels, MCHS Athletic Booster Club, Captain Ed’s Candy Island, Carson’s, City Lanes, Coolspring Carwash, Culver’s, DeVries Firestone, Dairy Queen, Erickson’s Jewelers, Fast Eddy’s, Hacienda, Hair Werks, Harbour Superstore, Harbour Collision Center, Hirsch Ford, Jimmy John’s, Kabelin Ace Hardware, Lindo’s Restaurant, Mary Kay-Julie Wocjik, Michigan City Chrysler Dodge & Jeep, MC Sports, Michigan City Beauty College, Northwest Racket Club (NAC), Pampered Chef-Kathy Workman, Red Lobster, Roma Pizza, Temple Total Fitness-Ron Gaston, Walgreens, Walmart, Bosak Honda, Schoop’s, Reader’s World, Miller Pizza By the Beach, KIA, Sahara Mediterranean Cuisine, Holly’s Restaurant and Cind Barker.

Our deepest appreciation goes to these sponsors for their generosity and support throughout this 2011 football season.

Kelly Neulieb

The MCHS Football Parents Group

Michigan City, IN

+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:09 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com