IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coach Buzea's Homewood-Flossmoor Vikings in Illinois Semi-Finals, Former City coach one win away from state championship
taxthedeer
post Nov 17 2010, 01:59 AM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

Good luck to coach Buzea, Cicero and Mattix

Game 30 — Flossmoor (Homewood-F.) (10-2) vs. Chicago (Mt. Carmel) (10-2), TBA

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
wayne
post Nov 17 2010, 09:08 PM
Post #2

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 998

WOW. I was wondering how he was doing. Are you sure about this? Didnt he take over a program that had been terrible? Hard to believe they are in the fianl four in Illinois. Any idea what class they are in? If this is true, its absolutely amaxing

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Nov 17 2010, 02:59 AM) *

Good luck to coach Buzea, Cicero and Mattix

Game 30 — Flossmoor (Homewood-F.) (10-2) vs. Chicago (Mt. Carmel) (10-2), TBA

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 17 2010, 10:13 PM
Post #3

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(wayne @ Nov 17 2010, 09:08 PM) *

WOW. I was wondering how he was doing. Are you sure about this? Didnt he take over a program that had been terrible? Hard to believe they are in the fianl four in Illinois. Any idea what class they are in? If this is true, its absolutely amaxing

They are 8A (the biggest class in IL) and they were 1-9 last year.
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Nov 18 2010, 01:02 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7

OK, they were 1-9 last year but they have a deep, rich football tradition. They won a state championship relatively recently, IIRC. Regardless, congrats to Buzz, Cicero and the boys.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 18 2010, 11:47 AM
Post #5

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/highs...0,5357417.story

8A football preview | H-F's Buzea: 'We are huge underdogs'

15Share
0diggsdigg
* Related
From the vault: Mount Carmel tips H-F as time runs out
* Topics
John Holecek

By Bill Harrison Tribune reporter

8:10 p.m. CST, November 17, 2010

* EmailE-mail
* printPrint
* increase text size decrease text size Text Size

ct-spt-1118-prep-foot-pvw-8a-homewood20101117
Homewood-Flossmoor first-year football coach Craig Buzea spent the last 19 years coaching in Northwest Indiana.

Still, he is familiar with the tradition of his team's opponent, 10-time state champion Mount Carmel, in Saturday afternoon's Class 8A semifinal at Gately Stadium.

Not many are giving the Vikings (10-2) much of a chance against the Caravan (10-2).

Loyola coach John Holecek, whose team's only loss came in Week 4 against the Caravan, didn't mince words.

Restaurant.com: Get $25 gift certificates for $8 each >>

"There is no doubt Mount Carmel is highly favored over H-F. I don't think that is even going to be a game," said Holecek, a Marian Catholic graduate whose team will face two-time defending 8A champion Maine South in the other 8A semifinal.

"Coach Holecek is exactly right, we are huge underdogs but we are just thrilled to still be playing at this time of year," Buzea said. "We realize that we don't have the program that Maine South, Loyola and Mount Carmel do, but we have had less than six months to implement our program, where they have had 30 years in some cases.

"Playing Mount Carmel and Coach Lenti is such an honor. Although the odds are stacked heavily against us, playing such a quality opponent will give us a gauge on where exactly our program is and what we will need to work on in the offseason."

The Vikings have been part of two of the most exciting playoff games this season, both coming down to the last play. In Round 2 against Waubonsie Valley, the defense held on in double overtime for a 34-28 victory.

Last week, in the final 25 seconds, the defense stopped Naperville North quarterback Matt LaCosse on a fourth-and-goal from the 1-yard line to secure a 35-28 win.

"We would be elated if we are in it at the end of the game versus Mount Carmel," Buzea said. "We feel very fortunate to be still playing after the last two games.

"We realize that we are tremendously overmatched, but I just want our players to play hard and have fun and enjoy the experience of being on the field with one of the nation's greatest football programs."

8A: Mount Carmel vs. Homewood-Flossmoor

When: Noon Saturday.

Where: Gately Stadium, 810 E. 103rd St., Chicago.

Last meeting: 2008, Mount Carmel won 49-0.

Records: Mount Carmel 10-2, Homewood-Flossmoor 10-2.

Players to watch: Homewood-Flossmoor — Malik Norman, Sr. RB 5-8, 180 (1,979 yards rushing, 31 TDs); Timothy Williams, Sr., QB, 6-6, 210 (117-for-179, 1,948 yards, 20 TDs); Denzel Wilkins, Sr. LB, 5-9, 170, (71 tackles, 10 sacks); Michael Rouse, Sr. DL, 6-5, 315 (11 sacks). Mount Carmel — Michael Banks, Sr., RB, 5-7, 170 (100 carries, 1,059 yards, 14 TDs); Chris Sujka, Sr., QB, 5-10, 185 (134 carries, 1,360 yards, 28 TDs; 48-for-100, 677 yards, 4 TDs); Conor Flaherty, Sr. LB, 6-0, 210 (79 tackles, 11 tackles for loss).

X and O factor: The Vikings will come at the Caravan with a solid running game supported by a passing game that can be equally as effective. Expect Mount Carmel to run, run, run while trying to wear out H-F's defense with its option attack.

FYI: Mount Carmel has won 10 state titles, the last in 2002.

He said it: "I have never seen a team that is so solid in all phases of the game. They run the option to precision like no other team I have seen and have so many weapons they can utilize at any given moment," — H-F coach Craig Buzea.
+Quote Post
wayne
post Nov 18 2010, 09:08 PM
Post #6

Getting Comfortable

Wow. An amazing story. Im sure they dont have much of a chance against the Caravan but from one win to the semi state is unbelieveable. I did some research and it looks like they have averaged about 5 wins a year sinc they won the title in 94 and only won 5 the past two seasons. I wouldnt call that a tradition rich program. Good luck to Coach and his squad. Im thinking about going to the game. Any other MC fans plan on going? what time is the game. Anybody that can tell me directions also would be helpful. What kind of stadium is Gately. Would it possibly be sold out. Not too familair with Illinois football.

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Nov 18 2010, 12:47 PM) *

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 20 2010, 10:46 PM
Post #7

HF loses 28-21 to Mt Carmel
+Quote Post
wayne
post Nov 21 2010, 02:38 PM
Post #8

Getting Comfortable

Yep. i was there with about 8.ooo other fans. What a game and atmosphere. HF got off to slow start but returned Carmels kick off 99 yards for and a td to make it 7-7. Carmel went up 21-7 and hf had a pass broken up in the ez from the 5 right before half. Hf made some great adjustments and cam back and tied it 21 all going into the fourth. Carmel scored with 2 minutes to go and HF had the ball inside carmels 40 with 2 minutes to go but qb fumbled before he threw ball and carmel ran out the clock.

Awesome to watch a guy who coached here move on to the big time. Do yourself a favor and go see HF play next year. They are well coached, big and man are they fast. From what I can see, they return a bunch of players and some people in the stands were saying that they had an undefeated Freshmen team.

Buzz stood toe to toe with a high school legend in Frank Lenty who has won 10 state championships and over 300 victories for his carrer and was one drive away for playing in the ihsa state championship in his first year. Fans were saying that no team in the state of Illinois has ever gone from 1-8 to the semi-finals before, let alone with a first year coach.

Great job Coach Buzzea
+Quote Post
wayne
post Nov 25 2010, 12:31 PM
Post #9

Getting Comfortable

Found this in todays paper. Congrats Coach Buzz. Bet he would trade this Award for playing in the State Championship game this weekend.For H-F's Buzea, it's a total commitment
SouthtownStar Football Coach of the Year
November 25, 2010BY ALAN MACEY Staff Writer

It wasn't until 5 p.m. Sunday that Homewood-Flossmoor football coach Craig Buzea knew the 2010 high school season was really over.

"We have our coaches' dinner and meetings from 5 to 11 p.m. every Sunday at my house," the Hobart, Ind., resident said. "With no game to prepare for, it was a different feeling not having everybody at the house. I ended up watching game film from the Mount Carmel game and catching some of the Colts-Patriots on TV."

For 13 Sundays, Buzea and his staff directed 95 H-F varsity players on a glorious ride that, ultimately, delivered the participants far more than a Class 8A semifinal berth.

"Players came up to me after our (28-21 semifinal) loss to Mount Carmel on Saturday and said that being part of the H-F football program changed their lives in a very good way," Buzea said. "Those kind of words mean more to me than wins and losses."

For Buzea, the SouthtownStar/Pepsi-Cola Football Coach of the Year, it has been a whirlwind 10 months at H-F, the destination he chose after 16 successful seasons coaching at Portage and Michigan City in Indiana.

At H-F, Buzea not only found instant success with this season's 10-3 record, but he also managed to change the recent "culture" of H-F football.

"I've always gone by the saying, 'Rules without relationships equals rebellion,'" the 49-year-old Buzea said. "Right from the start, we set down the rules and started making new relationships.

"Even though I was still working at Michigan City, I started implementing our new game plan at H-F. Whether it was changing the mindset of our players in the weight room, cleaning up our locker room, or putting together a golf outing, we wanted our players to understand what was expected of them. We needed a total commitment."

As the H-F players learned about their new coach, trust and relationships were being built.

"In May, my wife Barb invited the players to our home for dinner," Buzea recalled. "We set up tables and chairs and had a great time. The best part was the caravan of cars that followed us from H-F to Hobart.

"Barb has been a big part of our success. Whether it's putting together pasta dinners for the kids at school, working on the golf outing or getting ready for our football banquet in December, she has helped me tremendously.

"I want to thank my family for their sacrifices they have made to allow me to do what I love to do."

Buzea's success shouldn't be a surprise. In 1994, his first year as football boss at Portage, Buzea guided his school to a 13-1 record and a second-place finish in the Class 5A Indiana state finals.

In 2007, Buzea decided to accept the challenge of rejuvenating a woeful Michigan City program. By 2009, the Wolves had vaulted to a 6-4 record, one of the most successful seasons in school history. Shortly thereafter, the H-F job opened up. H-F principal Ryan Pitcock, who had coached against Buzea as an assistant at Merrillville, knew he was the right person to lift H-F from the 1-8 doldrums it experienced in 2009.

"What really makes Craig special is his ability to get young men and adults to rally around one another, commit, and believe," Pitcock said. "With Craig as our coach, we know our student-athletes are going to perform better in the classroom, develop into confident men, and be willing to compete. In only his first year, Craig has quickly become an iconic symbol for H-F High School."

Buzea returned the compliment.

"I have received outstanding administrative support from so many people at H-F," he said. "They allowed me to build a coaching staff of people I've worked with in the past and people who have been part of H-F football. I'm very proud of our staff of coaches, who made a large commitment and sacrifice to make us successful. This honor I'm receiving is a coaching staff award."

Maybe the best way to understand Buzea's leadership abilities is to hear him talk about the role models he had growing up.

"I loved playing all sports and I was blessed with some great coaches, including my father (who passed away a year ago)," Buzea said. "Dad was in charge and taught me the right way to play the games. He was the best man at my wedding. I miss him.

"My dad never missed a game I coached. My mom has carried on the streak. It is special for me to have her in the stands, as well as my daughter Brittany. I love giving them a hug after the games. Success is meaningless, unless you have people to share it with, and thankfully, I do."

He shares credit, too, with the late Les Thornton, an Indiana Hall of Famer and his coach at Griffith High School, and Portage coach Les Klein, who gve him his first coaching job.

"They taught me how to deal with people and getting everybody to buy in to what you're trying to accomplish," Buzea said.

One way is to continue working beyong the final whistle. For Buzea, who ended up playing four years of football, basketball and baseball at Lakeland College after first enrolling at Eastern Illinois, that means helping his players find the right college.

It also means getting his players in the weight room.

"We need to improve our team's strength," Buzea said. "That's our No. 1 priority. Mount Carmel owned the line of scrimmage, but we were still only one big play away from playing for a state championship. When we get stronger, we'll be able to take the next step up.

"But we'll never forget the strides these kids have taken, how much heart and passion they showed and the tremendous support we received from our students and the H-F community. They gave us a season to remember."

+Quote Post
wayne
post Dec 17 2010, 10:43 PM
Post #10

Getting Comfortable

Another Award for Coach Buzzea, Found this on the Homewood flosmore Website.

Homewood-Flossmoor's Craig Buzea
StoryDiscussionImage (2)Illinois Prep Football Coach of the Year, Homewood-Flossmoor's Craig Buzea
By Mike Nieto mike.nieto@nwi.com, (219) 933-3232 nwi.com | Posted: Thursday, December 9, 2010 10:00 pm | No Comments Posted

Font Size:Default font sizeLarger font size.

Tim Hunt | The Times

Homewood-Flossmoor's Craig Buzea turned the Vikings into winners in just one season. He took a team that finished 1-8 in 2009 and got it within a win of playing for the Class 8A state championship this year. .
Loading… .
..Times Coach of the Year
2010 -- Craig Buzea, Homewood-Flossmoor

2009 -- Jerry Verde, Crete-Monee

2008 -- Tom Padjen, T.F. South

2007 -- Dan O'Keefe, De La Salle

2006 -- Terry Kennedy, Thornridge

2005 -- Kenny Smith, Crete-Monee

2004 -- Tim Zasada, T.F. North

2003 -- Tom Bailey, Homewood-Flossmoor

2002 -- Tim Zasada, T.F. North

2001 -- Tom Padjen, T.F. South

2000 -- Frank Lenti, Mount Carmel

1999 -- Dave Mattio, Marian Catholic

1998 -- Frank Lenti, Mount Carmel

1997 -- Phil Corich, Washington

1996 -- Frank Lenti, Mount Carmel

1995 -- Frank Lenti, Mount Carmel

1994 -- Tom Padjen, T.F. South

1993 -- Dave Mattio, Marian Catholic

1992 -- Dave Mattio, Marian Catholic
FLOSSMOOR | Homewood-Flossmoor running back Malik Norman was as direct in describing his football coach as first-year H-F boss Craig Buzea had been when he told the Vikings they would be winners right away.

Norman said Buzea's influence on him consisted of more than just how to hit a hole or break away from a would-be tackler.

"He is one of the best coaches I have ever had in my life," Norman said. "He believed in me (and) the team. He never let us get down on ourselves. He was on us about the classroom, football and being involved in the community."

Buzea, who had success at Portage and Michigan City high schools in Indiana, took over an H-F program that was 1-8 in 2009 and guided the Vikings within one win of playing for the 2010 Class 8A state championship. For his efforts, Buzea has been chosen as the Times Coach of the Year.

"He taught us accountability, responsibility, and to have pride in yourself, the school and the communities we represent," senior offensive lineman Aidan Conlan said. "He told us we would be good, and then he and the coaching staff went out and pushed us so we could be successful."

H-F principal Dr. Ryan Pitcock said there is no doubt Buzea did more than just win football games.

"When we were hiring a coach, we set high expectations, and Craig certainly exceeded all of those expectations," Pitcock said. "I've known him for several years, and I knew his teams never quit and that he would make sure the kids learned more than football. He has a total commitment to the program, school and community."

Buzea, who was hired in January, said this was not a rebuilding program.

"I told the administration we wanted to win right away and (that) we would," Buzea said. "The kids, the community were owed a winner.

"I have to credit my assistants for working with me and the administration for believing in me -- (superintendent) Dr. (Von) Mansfield, Dr. Pitcock, (athletic director) Joe Skowronski, the school board, and my wife Barb."

Buzea brought some of his assistants from Michigan City and kept some from H-F's previous staff, and he said all of them agreed that the district was a breeding ground for success.

"Everyone was behind me and I wanted to prove them right," Buzea said. "Most people go into a job wanting to prove people wrong. I wanted to prove that these guys were right in giving me a chance."

He credits Barb for getting the team involved in Homewood Days.

"I felt like a politician, shaking hands and just asking everyone to support our program," Buzea said. "We had a booth and we had players there. I guess I wondered if it would work, but we had to get out into the community, and it was good for the kids.

"At first, we got a lot of blank stares. But when I saw that crowd in the opener (against Marian Catholic), it sure lit up my face."

Other offseason activities included the inaugural Viking football alumni golf outing and current team members raising money for a local food bank.

"Those are the things that I thought had a good impact on us," Conlan said. "He showed it is not just football, but being a good citizen and part of the community.

"As a team captain, that rubbed off on me to step up and be a leader, and not just on the field."

But the players also learned quite a bit while on the field.

"Buzz and the staff expected you to go all out," Norman said. "You know they spent a lot of hours preparing us, doing the little things. We needed to give them our best."

Buzea played for Indiana Hall of Fame coach Les Thornton at Griffith and coached under Les Klein at Portage, another Hall of Famer. He played one year of football at Eastern Illinois, then transferred to Lakeland College in Sheboygan, Wis.

It was there where Buzea said he developed his sense of being organized. Buzea was a boys varsity basketball coach at the age of 21 when he took over at Elkhart Lake (Wis.) High School.

"It taught me to be organized because I had to -- I didn't have any experience," Buzea said. "It was a learning experience, one I will never forget because I think that helped shape me as a coach."

He also credits Barb, his wife of 10 years, his daughter Brittany and Barb's daughter, Ashley Thompson.

"They all were supportive when I took over and have been with me through the years," Buzea said. "Barb supervised the team dinners, the little things."

Copyright 2010 nwi.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

.Posted in Football, Homewood-flossmoor, Southwest-suburban-blue on Thursday, December 9, 2010 10:00 pm

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:54 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com