IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2010 Great Lakes Grand Prix schedule, Michigan City boat race announces schedule
ChickenCityRoller
post Aug 9 2010, 06:58 AM
Post #21

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 19

I think the schedule was confusing. On the first schedule posted in this thread from March, it shows the race being at 1 PM. On the race sanction website, it says 1PM.

Well, there was a race at 11 and one at 1.

***I think the 85,000 people is for all of M.C. stretching from Washington Park all the way down to stop 20 and then all the boats which lined the course.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 9 2010, 09:52 AM
Post #22

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.fox28.com/Global/story.asp?S=12945244

Sunday's Great Lakes Grand Prix drew thousands of visitors to Michigan City.

The 2nd annual Super Boat race has pumped millions of dollars in the local economy.

"We didn't have a clue. We didn't know what to expect. It was just we took a long shot, we rolled the dice on getting these folks in here," said La Porte County Conventions Bureau's Jack Arnett.

Arnett didn't know what to expect when the county paid $75,000 to bring the event to Michigan City last year.

With close to 80,000 spectators crowding the beach at Washington Park, it's safe to say that gamble paid off.

"I don't know where they all come from, but they sure all seem to come into Michigan City for this event," said Super Boat International PR Director Rodrick Cox.

Last year's Grand Prix pumped more than $5 million into the local economy.

This year's numbers aren't yet in, but restaurant owner Lee Hummel is smiling about the business he's seen.

"It brings in millions of dollars to our local economy. With all these people here spending money, spending money, it can do nothing but boost. I wish the event would go for two weeks," said Hummel.

The 6-day event has been a win-win situation for all involved.

The racing community views Michigan City as one of the best racing stops in the nation.

"You know, this place is phenomenal. We had such a turnout last year," Cox said.

Driver Dan Davis adds that, "This year they're even more involved. We've found that they're more involved. They want a lot more autographs, they really want to connect with the teams."

That connection has organizers hoping the Great Lakes Grand Prix continues on forever as the city's marquee summer event.

"We're happy," Arnett says. "The hotel rooms are full. Restaurants are full. And that's what we're looking for."

Rain clouds threatened the event late Sunday morning, but the event went on without a hitch.

Officials think this year's crowd has brought in between $6 and $7 million to the Michigan City economy.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 9 2010, 09:54 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 2

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/article_332...4f49face90.html

Extreme class super boat JBS 121 races past spectators Sunday during the 2010 Super Boat Great Lakes Grand Prix along Michigan City's Washington Park. The JBS team took first in the Turbine class and raced unopposed.

Great Lakes Grand Prix

At Washington Park, Michigan City

First race

Superboat Vee Limited Class

1. Watch Your Back (Brian Forehand, Maddie Janssen) 45:31

2. Pirate Racing 48:17

Superboat Stock

1. Talbot Excavating (Kyler Talbot, Jim Anselmo) 39:06

2. Mapei 39:09

3. Double Edge Motorsports 44:02

Maufacturer Production 4

1. Simmons Racing (Kyle Dietzen, Jim Simmons) 41:36

2. National Guard 42:53

3. Absolutely Not 43:23

Second race

Superboat Unlimited

1. Cintron (Herb Stotler, Richard Wyatt) 47:53

Superboat Vee Extreme

1. Saratoga Stampede (Michael Janssen, Brian Forehand) 52:40

Superboat Vee Unlimited

1. Instigator (John Stanch, Peter Meyer) 53:23

2. Global Wamer DNF

Superboat 750

1. WHM Motorsports (Jason Muller, William Mauff) 52:04

2. Talkin Trash 52:21

3. JD Byrider DNF

4. Warpaint DNF

Super Cat

1. Stihl (Robert Noble, Grant Bruggemann) 55:22

2. Team Amsoil 56:15

3. Popeyes DNF

Manufacturer Production 1

1. Global Warmer (Dan Davies, Martin Sanborn) 35:09

2. Instigator (broke class speed limit)
Related Stories

* Related: Super Boats to invade Michigan City again

MICHIGAN CITY | The Great Lakes Grand Prix has become Dan Davies' favorite event on Super Boat International's schedule -- and for good reason.

In 2009, it was the location where Davies, a Lombard, Ill., resident, cut his teeth racing for SBI, and he turned out to be a world champion racer in the Manufacturer Production 2 class along with throttleman Martin Sanborn.

So, it is without question that Davies was looking forward to a return trip to the second annual Great Lakes Grand Prix at Washington Park -- in a city that's become a favorite destination for him and his family.

"This event is really special to me," Davies said. "It's really close. I have a lot of friends that come out here, and we have a lot of support."

Overall, Davies -- who owns and drives the yellow Fountain No. 47 boat (nicknamed Global Warmer, a local fan favorite) -- had a successful return to Lake Michigan. He finished first in the Manufacturer Production 1 class and second in the Superboat Vee Unlimited Class, overcoming the choppy water of Lake Michigan in the second race of the day.

"It was typical Lake Michigan water, and the guys who haven't raced it before really can't believe what it's like out there," Davies said. "We ran really well, and (Sanborn) had to do a lot of work today."

Though she's just 18 years old, Denver resident Maddie Janssen made an immediate impact in the first SBI race of her life. As the throttleman for Watch Your Back, a Superboat Vee Limited class boat, Janssen won her class along with driver Brian Forehand. Sunday's race was also her first trip to Indiana -- and her first race in Lake Michigan.

"It was definitely deceiving," Janssen said of the water. "It was pretty rough today. I had to prepare to bounce around and know what's going to happen before it happens.

"It definitely feels good to win. The city was great, and people kept saying ‘How do you like the lake?' I kept thinking it was an ocean with the beach and everything."

Popeyes boat throttleman Stan Ware, a New Orleans native, along with driver Lisa Matthews, had to be rescued by the SBI medical team after 32 minutes of racing when their boat capsized while driving 110 miles per hour. Ware escaped unscathed, but Matthews was taken to St. Anthony Memorial Hospital for precautionary reasons after nearly drowning.

"It was the first time I had Lisa in the boat, but she's a good driver. There was no driver error," Ware said.

"I've raced the Great Lakes since the '70s, and it's always a surprise. We went straight up (and tipped over). (Matthews) got tangled up in some lines, and I was pulling her out. We're fortunate to be here. It was a scary moment. The medical team is great. Without them, it wouldn‘t be like this right now."

Posted in Sports, Boating on Sunday, August 8, 2010 11:30 pm
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Aug 9 2010, 10:47 AM
Post #24

Really Comfortable

IPB Image

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Aug 15 2010, 11:12 PM
Post #25

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Aug 9 2010, 07:58 AM) *

***I think the 85,000 people is for all of M.C. stretching from Washington Park all the way down to stop 20 and then all the boats which lined the course.

You must have been the person who thought that back around 1970 that Michigan City was going to have a population of over 100,000 by the year 2000.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Aug 16 2010, 06:27 AM
Post #26

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Aug 16 2010, 12:12 AM) *

You must have been the person who thought that back around 1970 that Michigan City was going to have a population of over 100,000 by the year 2000.

I was -4 years old in 1970.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Ang
post Aug 16 2010, 08:16 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 10

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Aug 16 2010, 07:27 AM) *

I was -4 years old in 1970.

ME TOO!!! biggrin.gif

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:52 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com