Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Joe Black interview!, South Shore official
Southsider2k12
post Jun 5 2009, 07:55 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Great news gang! We at Citybythelake have been lucky enough to get Joe Black of the NICTD to agree to answer our questions regarding the South Shore railroad. I'd love to get questions from our general audience about what you all would like to ask Joe. There are plenty of things going on, between the brand new, and beautiful, double decker cars in service, the talk about moving the line off of 11th street, and the talk of a new super rail station in Michigan City. Please post your questions here, and we will arrange them together, along with some of my own questions, and we will have Joe's answers right here for you in an exclusive opportunity to find out what the future of the century old South Shore might look like from a man on the inside of it all.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 10 2009, 09:08 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Once again we thank Mr Joe Black for his time and GREAT answers!

With the new $65 million project being kicked around, what is the part you are most proud of?

The new station facility, which will finally give our passengers the station that they deserve - high level platforms, enclosed waiting area with ticket office, and the possibility of multi-modal connections. Plus, enough parking to comfortably accommodate all of the people that want to ride the South Shore.

What part of the project is the most important in the eyes of the NICTD.

I would have to say that getting the track and roadbed out of the asphalt and onto a private right of way is of primary importance, to reduce operating and maintenance costs and to increase travel speed and reduce travel times through Michigan City.

With the stated plan involving the purchase and demolition of existing houses, what would you like to say to the people who are within the plans of this project?

I would say that there is no reason at this point to be distraught or panicked. This is a major project and as such needs to go through rigorous environmental and engineering analyses before the first shovel goes into the ground. There will be much time and resources devoted to public comment and answering people's questions and concerns.

Has there been any talk about working other transportation entities to make a station that you can catch a bus after getting off of the train for example?

There has been nothing formal that I'm aware of just yet, but this is one of those "no brainer" kinds of things. I envision, personally, a station that serves South Shore, Amtrak, intercity bus like Greyhound, and local bus services in one facility. That's a lot of buy-in from a lot of stakeholders, but I think it should be a long term goal.

How are the new doubledecker trains working out?

Aside from the normal shake-out issues, they have been quite successful. It was their presence that allowed the South Shore to introduce new trains to the weekday schedule and re-introduce some express and limited stop service to the railroad.

How has public opinion been of the Doubledeckers been?

Very positive. The only complaint that I'd heard after they were placed in service is that they have less luggage space than the single-level cars.

How are the doubledeckers fitting into the regular South Shore schedule if someone wants to ride on them specifically?

As of the last schedule change (and note that this is subject to change on a daily basis due to maintenance, equipment cycling, equipment inspection, and other needs), the bi-level gallery EMUs were assigned to trains 102, 203, 212, 114, 107, 118, 211, 215, 220, and 119.

What becomes the future of the Shops at Carroll Ave if this project is seen through to completion as envisioned by NICTD?

The Shops will remain where they are, as that complex supports all of the vehicle maintenance, engineering headquarters, the control center, transportation headquarters, and the storage yard for the railroad. Adds and cuts will continue to be made at the Shops, and time alloted in the schedule for such, but there will no longer be a passenger station there.

How do you see the new superstation tying into the revitalization of the northern part of Michigan City?

It's an anchor point for transit-oriented development (TOD), that will bring new uses, residents, and businesses to that area. I think it's essential, frankly, to the rebirth of the north end as a choice area to live, shop, and work. This is one of the reasons why making the station a multi-modal hub is so important. Concentrating all of those connections in the north end will be an engine driving redevelopment.

How much consultation was done with City officials, such as the Mayor and City Council, before this proposal was finalized by NICTD?

The railroad worked closely with the city, both political leaders and the planning folks, before finalizing the proposal. NICTD will continue to work cooperatively with the city, including the City Council and Mayor's office to formulate a concrete plan to move forward. I'm sure that process will include the involvement of interested people in the public, as well.

How much of the plan would NICTD be willing to change based on upcoming public opinion and feedback?

I think that any plan whose costs are projected to be in the same ballpark, that gets the tracks out of the asphalt and onto a private right of way, provides room for future double tracking, does not turn dispatching control of the railroad over to a foreign railroad (such as Amtrak or CSX), allows construction of a new station with adequate parking for NICTD's current and future needs, and that addresses any and all concerns of the tenant South Shore Freight operation would be something that NICTD would be willing to entertain and discuss. In my professional opinion, I think meeting all of those criteria is going to be a challenge, frankly, but I don't see any reason why parts of the plan couldn't be changed provided that they don't contravene those criteria.

Are there any parts of the plan that are non-negotiable as far as NICTD is concerned?

In my own opinion, I would say that cost is very important, creating a private right of way with room for future double tracking is very important, and making sure that no part of the railroad is turned over to another for dispatching control is vital.
+Quote Post
Michelle
post Jul 10 2009, 10:29 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 787

Thanks Mr. Black and Southsider! It's useful to get a more thorough look at the NICTD/South Shore perspective, and it's raised some interesting issues.
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Jul 10 2009, 01:43 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 546

WOW! It's nice to see an insiders perspective. Thanks Mr. Black!

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 05:27 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com