Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alcohol Board Has Lacked A Quorum
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk
JHeath
http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=49094.31

2/14/2008 10:34:00 AM
Alcohol Board Has Lacked A Quorum

Laurie Wink
The News-Dispatch

LA PORTE - A Michiana Shores business owner is concerned about a lack of response to area businesses by the local Alcohol Beverage Board.

Chris Bardol, owner of Stop 50 Wood Fired Pizzeria, said the four-member board has not had a quorum for the first two monthly meetings this year. Bardol said the only board member who showed up was Sara Bewley, who represents the Indiana State Excise Police.

Michigan City Mayor Chuck Oberlie said the lack of a quorum could be explained by board member turnover.

"It sounds like almost all the members may be new," Oberlie said. He appointed first-time member Barry Nothstine to fill the city's slot on the board in January.

Also in January, the county commissioners selected Sherman Lute after the death of board member Gene Parrett, who died on Nov. 17. The county council named Pat Daugherty as their representatives on the board.

The board makes recommendations on liquor licenses in La Porte County, which are later approved or rejected by the state.

Bardol said he attended the January and February meetings to make sure his application for license renewal was in order. Bewley noted he didn't need to be there in person and, even without a quorum, his application can be forwarded to Indianapolis.

"Every year, a liquor license comes up for renewal," she said. "If there are no violations or problems, you don't have to be there. He (Bardol) just wanted to make sure everything was set to go."

Bardol's concern, he said, is not for himself but for six businesses waiting for hearings since January. Every monthly meeting missed means businesses can't serve alcohol and may not be able to open for another four weeks, he said.

"That's four weeks they can't employ people and the city is not getting tax revenue," Bardol said. "The same thing happened to me two years ago when I first got my permit. They were one person short (of a quorum) and we were held up for six weeks."

Oberlie talked to Nothstine on Sunday when Bardol's letter criticizing the board appeared in The New-Dispatch's Anvil Chorus. Neither of them were quite sure about the procedure for notifying new board members about meeting times, dates and places.

The board meets at 10 a.m. on the first Thursday in the Michigan City Common Council Chambers.

Contact Laurie Wink at lwink@thenewsdispatch.com.
Dave
Oberlie talked to Nothstine on Sunday when Bardol's letter criticizing the board appeared in The New-Dispatch's Anvil Chorus. Neither of them were quite sure about the procedure for notifying new board members about meeting times, dates and places.

Gee, I would imagine the procedure would probably involve a complex series of events to transfer the information. How, oh how, could our local officials get such a complex task completed?

I mean, other than PICKING UP THE DURN PHONE AND MAKING A CALL? Or even telling the new board member about it when appointing them? Or the appointee taking enough initiative to find out on their own?

Oh, just shoot me.
Southsider2k12
Another board, another problem. Anyone else sensing a pattern here?
JHeath
This board is appointed through the County officials, not City.
Southsider2k12
City/County, it doesn't matter. We seem to be having a breakdown of local government at many levels. In all seriousness, what is going on here?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.