Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Behler To Leave Clerk Post
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk
JHeath
http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=55825.28

2/20/2008 10:30:00 AM
Behler To Leave Clerk Post
First-term Dem retiring early, heading to San Diego to be closer to family.

Jason Miller
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - La Porte County Clerk Bob Behler will retire by mid-March to move to San Diego to be closer to his daughter and granddaughter, he told The News-Dispatch late Tuesday.

The first-term Demo-cratic clerk and former Michigan City mayor had filed to seek re-election in the May primary, thinking he and his wife Janice weren't in a position financially to make the move. But Behler said Tuesday as the pair thought more about the move, they figured now was as good a time as any.

"It's something we've had in the back of our minds for quite some time," Behler said. "It's very expensive to live out there, but we thought if we're going to do it, now's the time.

"On the 12th, we signed papers on a condo."

Behler said he intended to serve another term as clerk, but now will withdraw his candidacy through the governor's office - as mandated by state statute - this week.

Currently, former Democratic clerk Lynne Spevak - ineligible after her two terms and who ran for state office - and Democrat Judi Keller, as well as Republican Keith Harris, have announced they'll seek their party's nominations for the office.

Behler announced his resignation to his office staff Tuesday in a letter, but told The News-Dispatch on Tuesday night he wasn't planning to make the announcement public for another few days.

In the letter, he told his staff he was "honored and proud to have worked with you, and I appreciate and value the job that each and every one of you does."

"We have a good voting system in place, and the office is more efficient," he told The News-Dispatch. "It's working well. So it's time to go."

Behler said his resignation will take effect some time in early or mid-March.

Chief Deputy Clerk Bette Conroy, who lost to Behler by only 2 percent in the last election, said Tuesday night she's disappointed Behler isn't finishing his term, and said she'd lobby for the appointment to fill the remainder of his term.

A Democratic caucus will replace Behler within weeks.

Conroy, who took care of her terminally ill son during her race against Behler, doesn't know, however, if she'll file last minute for the May primary. The filing deadline is noon Friday.

"I have mixed emotions. I do understand there are things that come up that we don't foresee," she said. "You have to do what's best for your family. But if you run and you win and say you'll do your best, I feel you should do it."
Dave
Any speculation as to who the replacement will be? I would think that Conroy was the inside track, but I've been surprised before.
kharris
QUOTE(Dave @ Feb 20 2008, 03:49 PM) *

Any speculation as to who the replacement will be? I would think that Conroy was the inside track, but I've been surprised before.

She would of course be the obvious choice. The day Behler leaves Bette Conroy will become the "acting" Clerk until the Democrats hold a caucus which should take place with 30-45 days of Behler leaving. I suppose it would depend on whether Conroy wants to fill the next year and a half. Don't be surprised if Lynn Spevak want to be considered in the interim prior to the election.
Southsider2k12
Any chance the county will do the right thing like they did in the MC first council district recently, and pick someone who is not running, so as to not give anyone an unfair advantage?
JHeath
There's always a chance, but it's not a guarantee. It's kind of like a blind squirrel trying to find a nut...it can happen... wink.gif

I'd say you're safer to wait and see who comes forward to express an interest in filling the position. Then feel free to speculate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.