Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Goodbye Moe's...Hello Sahara!
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Living
mcstumper
Eat at Moe's is no more. Lets hope that Moe stays in the area and makes another run at the restaurant biz. I enjoyed the option of something different...
JHeath
Moe is opening a new restaurant in MC called "Sahara". Located on Franklin Street, near Albano's, it should be opening soon.
Southsider2k12
That's too bad. While it was never my style, I know they had a loyal following.

Then again I think I read somewhere that 50% of restaurants fail in the first two years.
Ang
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Mar 6 2008, 06:39 AM) *

That's too bad. While it was never my style, I know they had a loyal following.

Then again I think I read somewhere that 50% of restaurants fail in the first two years.

Yeah, but Moe's has been there longer than 2 years. My friend did all the remodeling work before he opened and that was about 4 years ago. so what happened? IMO it was his location.
JHeath
Actually, he did pretty well in that location. It was the high overhead cost of that particular location (rent).
JHeath
The food is better...love the atmosphere...can't wait to go back!
Dave
Don't they have a website with their menu on it? My google skills seem to be lacking today.
edgeywood
QUOTE(Dave @ Apr 23 2008, 05:08 PM) *

Don't they have a website with their menu on it? My google skills seem to be lacking today.

http://www.eatatmoes.net/

Now, Sahara...but no online menu.

I was there last week. It was great! good food, nice space!
Roger Kaputnik
On WIMS, I heard the ad for Sahara, introducing "small-plate dining" to MC. This is like the restaurant MEZZA in Valpo that Moe was involved in--and may still be, for all I know. You order 4 or 5 cold items, 4 or 5 hot items, and they serve them to you sequentially. Very tasty.
Roger Kaputnik
Anyone eat at Sahara lately? Any notes or reviews?

By the way, Moe is getting ready to open a Mediterranean grocery store next door to Sahara.
JHeath
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Aug 28 2008, 08:32 AM) *

Anyone eat at Sahara lately? Any notes or reviews?
By the way, Moe is getting ready to open a Mediterranean grocery store next door to Sahara.

I heard the same thing! Any idea of when? He also operates a cart at the Farmers' Market in MC every Saturday morning. I'll be working there this weekend (was volunteered). smile.gif
Dave
QUOTE(JHeath @ Aug 28 2008, 08:49 AM) *

I heard the same thing! Any idea of when? He also operates a cart at the Farmers' Market in MC every Saturday morning. I'll be working there this weekend (was volunteered). smile.gif

The annual Elston Grove Neighborhood Association Bake Sale is this weekend too. Stop by and get some cookies!
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Dave @ Aug 28 2008, 11:17 AM) *

The annual Elston Grove Neighborhood Association Bake Sale is this weekend too. Stop by and get some cookies!

Where at?
JHeath
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Aug 28 2008, 11:18 AM) *

Where at?

Farmer's Market. I'll expect to see you there. biggrin.gif
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(JHeath @ Aug 28 2008, 11:45 AM) *

We are planning on getting out there... BBQing Sunday, and we want some fresh veggies and fruit to go with it.
ChickenCityRoller
QUOTE(JHeath @ Aug 28 2008, 11:45 AM) *

We go down there almost every weekend. I haven't seen you down there but since I've gotten married my wife seems to be making that trip more and more. I'll try to head down tomorrow to say hi and introduce you two to each other. I know Tori down there (the lady with the goat cheese) and I always like to give Didier a hard time in French. His products have been going downhill, cutting too many corners and cheaper and cheaper ingredients.

JHeath
QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Aug 29 2008, 09:27 AM) *

We go down there almost every weekend. I haven't seen you down there but since I've gotten married my wife seems to be making that trip more and more. I'll try to head down tomorrow to say hi and introduce you two to each other. I know Tori down there (the lady with the goat cheese) and I always like to give Didier a hard time in French. His products have been going downhill, cutting too many corners and cheaper and cheaper ingredients.

YOu should also try the italian ice sold at the Sahara cart. It's the best around.
Roger Kaputnik
I have to get out there to get material for a review.
JHeath
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Sep 11 2008, 09:50 AM) *

I have to get out there to get material for a review.

Just stop by the Farmers Market in MC on a Saturday morning. Sahara has a booth, with the italian ice vendor right next to it. Great stuff.
JHeath
Click to view attachment
I've scanned the menu. Let Moe know that you saw it on CTBL.
eric.hanke
My wife and I have eaten at Sahara twice.

Both times we loved the experience.

For less than $50 you build your own meal choosing 5 hot and 5 cold "plates" from a menu of about 15. The food is excellent and made fresh, not much is fried, from fresh ingredients.

We love the atmosphere, the wait staff is inviting, and the service is exceptional.

I highly recommend...

Eric
Roger Kaputnik
Gosh, I really gotta get there.
krk
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 1 2008, 08:10 AM) *

Gosh, I really gotta get there.

Here's some incentive for you;

Starting October 14, Sahara will have a Dinner Buffet on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Each day will feature cuisine from a different region. Tuesdays will be Middle Eastern, Wednesdays will be Greek and Thursdays will be Moroccan. How cool is that?

If you can't wait, try the lunch buffet. It's only 7.95. (I think that's comparable to a lunch served to you in a bag from a window, right? rolleyes.gif ) There are usually two salad options, hummus, tabouleh, a chicken dish, a beef dish, saffron rice and vegetable options. If you're lucky, you will get to try the stuffed grape leaves made by Moe's mother. She's in the country for a limited time. They are the best grape leaves I have ever had. Don't miss them!
Craig1971
great food loved it
JHeath
QUOTE(krk @ Oct 2 2008, 10:18 PM) *

Here's some incentive for you;

Starting October 14, Sahara will have a Dinner Buffet on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Each day will feature cuisine from a different region. Tuesdays will be Middle Eastern, Wednesdays will be Greek and Thursdays will be Moroccan. How cool is that?

If you can't wait, try the lunch buffet. It's only 7.95. (I think that's comparable to a lunch served to you in a bag from a window, right? rolleyes.gif ) There are usually two salad options, hummus, tabouleh, a chicken dish, a beef dish, saffron rice and vegetable options. If you're lucky, you will get to try the stuffed grape leaves made by Moe's mother. She's in the country for a limited time. They are the best grape leaves I have ever had. Don't miss them!

Love the Vegetarian grape leaves that he sells at the Farmer's Market. I wonder if he'll carry them at Mini Souk when it opens.
Roger Kaputnik
I wonder if he will have halal meat.
krk
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 3 2008, 09:28 AM) *

I wonder if he will have halal meat.

He is in the process of negotiating with a distributor from Detroit, so it seems likely.
krk
QUOTE(JHeath @ Oct 3 2008, 09:05 AM) *

Love the Vegetarian grape leaves that he sells at the Farmer's Market. I wonder if he'll carry them at Mini Souk when it opens.

Yes, they will be there. biggrin.gif
Roger Kaputnik
Is the Souk gonna have a lot of prepared food or is it mostly packaged stuff?
Michelle
I've been chattering about how I want to try this place (thanks to everyone's good reviews here) so my parents got me a gift certificate for my birthday. Weeeee! Review to follow once I make it there smile.gif
krk
miniSOUK is now open!

Also, the Dinner Buffet is on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays! Each night you can try a different variety of Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine! Only 13.95!

Sahara also has a great assortment of wines and beers.

Did I mention the servers are attractive, witty, and fabulous? (wink to JHeath)

Did you notice I put a comma before the 'and'? biggrin.gif
Roger Kaputnik
I DID notice! Kudos, and thank you.

The miniSouk has all kinds of dried beans, canned goods, fresh and frozen foods, including desserts, non-alcoholic beer and other beverages, and I hear they will have fresh halal meat soon.
JHeath
QUOTE(krk @ Oct 29 2008, 10:15 PM) *

miniSOUK is now open!

Also, the Dinner Buffet is on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays! Each night you can try a different variety of Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine! Only 13.95!

Sahara also has a great assortment of wines and beers.

Did I mention the servers are attractive, witty, and fabulous? (wink to JHeath)

Did you notice I put a comma before the 'and'? biggrin.gif

Ah, the best servers in all of the area. cool.gif

miniSouk does have veg grape leaves....right? (My favorite.)
Roger Kaputnik
I think I saw some jars there.
JHeath
I'd love to do a CTBL gathering at Sahara. Moe can do more than just mediterranean fare, for those with less daring pallettes. It's just such a cool place though--everyone should go!
eric.hanke
QUOTE(JHeath @ Oct 30 2008, 03:31 PM) *

I'd love to do a CTBL gathering at Sahara. Moe can do more than just mediterranean fare, for those with less daring pallettes. It's just such a cool place though--everyone should go!

Count me in!

Breakfast at M&M's and Lunch/Dinner at Sahara...
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(JHeath @ Oct 30 2008, 03:31 PM) *

I think that was for me cool.gif

Anyways, I am all in favor of having a holidayish gathering of some sort.
Ang
Well let's start planning. I'll be in town 12-21 through 01-02. I have obligations the weekend in between, but I'd be up for a Sunday brunch on 12-21 if ya'll want to try to get together. Maybe Roger won't fall off the map this time (snicker snicker).
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Ang @ Nov 4 2008, 09:44 AM) *

Well let's start planning. I'll be in town 12-21 through 01-02. I have obligations the weekend in between, but I'd be up for a Sunday brunch on 12-21 if ya'll want to try to get together. Maybe Roger won't fall off the map this time (snicker snicker).

Sounds like maybe time for a separate thread?
Michelle
I went to Sahara a month ago and hadn't posted a review yet. The restaurant is beautifully done, stylish but keeping the charm of the original building. The service was quick and friendly. The food was pretty good, and it's definitely an addition to the culinary scene of Michigan City. My one suggestion is that it would be nice if the food on the buffet was labeled in some way. That would be useful for veggie folks, among others. I should have asked the server, but I decided to wing it, with mixed results.

All in all, a good excursion! The mini souk had some interesting foodstuffs as well.

Roger Kaputnik
QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Nov 3 2008, 10:27 PM) *

Count me in!

Breakfast at M&M's and Lunch/Dinner at Sahara...

dinner/fourthmeal at Bartlettes
ChickenCityRoller
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Dec 5 2008, 08:20 AM) *

dinner/fourthmeal at Bartlettes

Bartlett's as in Frederick H. Bartlett, the man who developed Beverly Shores.

http://www.bevshrshistsoc.org/

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.