Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Things everyone must do in Michigan City
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Living
Pages: 1, 2
Southsider2k12
I thought it would be fun to get away from the negative things going on around town, and try something new and positive. What I hope I see is people taking turns giving their thoughts on what every Cityzen of Michigan City should experience at least once in their lifetimes here. It can be anything, as long as it is positive. I started out with 10 things, but if we can get more than that, we will keep going as long as the thread allows.

I'll even start out...

#1 Going out into Washington Park to view the Lighthouse catwalk after a series of cold, windy, snowy days. The ice frozen onto the pier and driven into the sands just make a picture-esque opportunity, unique amongst most of the world for its view.

#2 The Drum & Bugle show at Ames Field. This show is amazing. The young people are so talented. Even my kids enjoy it

#3 Visit the Library. It is the most lively and interesting place in the golden triangle. There is no charge. It is an amazing architectural experience. It is a common ground for all people to mingle, regardless of race, creed, social or economic status. It contains the wisdom of the ages. It is an easy bicycle or bus destination from almost anywhere in MC. Enjoy it while it lasts.

#4 Climb Mount Baldy...or at least go visit. We're so fortunate to have this beautiful creation in our backyard. Personally, I can't wait to take my kids out there this spring and summer.

#5 spend the day catching Jumbo Lake perch and fryng em up as soon as you get back.

#6. Stroll the Friendship Gardens in late Spring

#7 Float on your back in Lake Michigan on a 90 degree day!

#8 Make the climb up to the top of the zoo observation tower the day after a nice strong rain. All of the smog and pollution are cleared out of the air and you can see for miles and miles.

#9 Go to the Michigan City Regional final at the Wolves Den. Only time of the year you get to see between 7,000-8,000 people in there at the same time. For sports fans, it doesn't get better than that.

#10 Cruise Washington Park for the Festival of Lights. Its got to be the best show in NW IN.

#11: Fireworks on the beach!

#11 1/2 Fireworks from a boat on the lake!

#12 Take a ride on the last InterUrban electric line train in the United States of America into Chicago and spend a day in one of the world-class cities in the country. Among the great things to do I would suggest a December day at the Museum of Science and Industry, a summer day in Millenium Park, or a day shopping the Magnificent Mile... all walking distance from train stops.

#13 Take the Barker Mansion tour around Christmas time. The place is just beautiful when done up.
Ang
#2 The Drum & Bugle show at Ames Field. This show is amazing. The young people are so talented. Even my kids enjoy it
Ecotourist
#3 Visit the Library. It is the most lively and interesting place in the golden triangle. There is no charge. It is an amazing architectural experience. It is a common ground for all people to mingle, regardless of race, creed, social or economic status. It contains the wisdom of the ages. It is an easy bicycle or bus destination from almost anywhere in MC. Enjoy it while it lasts.

JHeath
#4 Climb Mount Baldy...or at least go visit. We're so fortunate to have this beautiful creation in our backyard. Personally, I can't wait to take my kids out there this spring and summer. biggrin.gif
lovethiscity

#5 spend the day catching Jumbo Lake perch and fryng em up as soon as you get back.
mcstumper
#6. Stroll the Friendship Gardens in late Spring
edgeywood
#7 Float on your back in Lake Michigan on a 90 degree day!
Southsider2k12
#8 Make the climb up to the top of the zoo observation tower the day after a nice strong rain. All of the smog and pollution are cleared out of the air and you can see for miles and miles.
MC Born & Raised
#9 Buy The News-Dispatch?

Just kidding ...

#9 Go to the Michigan City Regional final at the Wolves Den. Only time of the year you get to see between 7,000-8,000 people in there at the same time. For sports fans, it doesn't get better than that.
Ang
QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Mar 28 2008, 04:55 PM) *

I TOTALLY agree on this one!! Just be sure to get there early so you can get a parking spot.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Ang @ Mar 31 2008, 02:17 PM) *

I TOTALLY agree on this one!! Just be sure to get there early so you can get a parking spot.

I was trying to figure out how to work in an Elston/Rogers sellout and a trip to Oktoberfest into this, but for obvious reasons, I couldn't mad.gif
Ang
I was thinking of Oktoberfest as well. Except it's not the same now that it's called Labor Dayz. I don't know why, but it just seems lame now.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Ang @ Apr 1 2008, 10:46 AM) *

I was thinking of Oktoberfest as well. Except it's not the same now that it's called Labor Dayz. I don't know why, but it just seems lame now.

Its not even close to the same. We went last year, and there was no one there, and no enthusiasm. When they had the fight over it, it killed it.
Southsider2k12
#10 Cruise Washington Park for the Festival of Lights. Its got to be the best show in NW IN.
Ang
lovethiscity
QUOTE(Ang @ Apr 3 2008, 11:39 AM) *

#11 1/2 Fireworks from a boat on the lake!
Southsider2k12
#12 Take a ride on the last interUrban electric line train in the United States of America into Chicago and spend a day in one of the world-class cities in the country. Among the great things to do I would suggest a December day at the Mueseum of Science and Industry, a summer day in Millenium Park, or a day shopping the Magnificent Mile... all walking distance from train stops.
Southsider2k12
#13 Take the Barker Mansion tour around Christmas time. The place is just beautiful when done up.
JHeath
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Apr 17 2008, 09:28 AM) *

I think it's beautiful year-round. But you're right, Christmas is always special there.
Michelle
I know I'm late to the game, but as a newbie to town, I appreciate the advice on what to add to the to-do list. Does anyone have any additional suggestions for someone unfamiliar with the area?

QUOTE(Ecotourist @ Mar 25 2008, 04:57 PM) *

And thanks for the props for the library! I'm a librarian there, and it's always nice to hear or read good reports about it. Although I'm not sure what to think about the suggestion of its imminent demise.
unsure.gif
JHeath
QUOTE(Michelle @ Apr 26 2008, 11:46 PM) *

I know I'm late to the game, but as a newbie to town, I appreciate the advice on what to add to the to-do list. Does anyone have any additional suggestions for someone unfamiliar with the area?
And thanks for the props for the library! I'm a librarian there, and it's always nice to hear or read good reports about it. Although I'm not sure what to think about the suggestion of its imminent demise.
unsure.gif

Welcome, Michelle!
Check out the other threads in "City Living". You'll find plenty of good restaurants and other things to do.

Depending on your hobbies, there is plenty to do around here. If there's something more specific you're seeking, just ask. We're a pretty friendly group. biggrin.gif
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Michelle @ Apr 26 2008, 11:46 PM) *

unsure.gif

Welcome to the site cool.gif
Ang
Welcome Michelle!!

If you're new in town, wait till summer!!! There is so much to there in the summer.
Michelle
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm looking forward to MC in the summertime, particularly these festivals I've heard so much about.

My question was partially a cover to find a way to introduce myself, but I'm interested in trying almost anything that's free. Moving expenses + economic downturn = precarious finances.

There doesn't seem to be much of a card culture here, apart from the boat. I love playing cards (poker, spades, cribbage, euchre) but haven't found an outlet for that yet. That will probably solve itself as I meet more people. But if there's a hotbed of cardplaying that I haven't found yet, please let me know.
Southsider2k12
#14 take in the Lubeznik Art Center. A community of our size is really lucky to have a place like that.
Marram
For the fit, if you dare:

#15 Take a bike ride (or run) from Washington Park down to the eastern end of Lakeshore Drive. It's a gorgeous eleven mile journey. The lake on one side and elegant homes all around.

#16 Hike through Moon Valley. Before I describe it, how many of you out there even know it exists?

#17 A shorter hike around Winding Cove Park. It is a new city park located on 8th Street at the intersection of Dickson (about 1/3 mile from Liberty Trail and Memorial Park). You can stand on old Peanut Bridge overlooking Trail Creek and then take the little side trail to another more secluded Trail Creek overlook where I've seen Blue Herons, deer, and, I think, otter.

#18 Run in either the Samaritan Skeedaddle (you just missed it), the Tower Run, or one of the other local runs/bike races. There will even be a triathlon come this September 6th and 7th.
Roger Kaputnik
A big Hear, Hear to number 17. Number 16--huh??
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ May 12 2008, 08:39 AM) *

I am going to take a guess at it, I think it might be more commonly known as Hungry Hallow or Canada Park depending on who you talk to.
Roger Kaputnik
I know where Canada is, but frankly, to have visited there when I was a kid meant risking getting beat up.
Marram
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ May 12 2008, 08:39 AM) *

# 17 -- Moon Valley

Now that all of you have been on the edge of your collective seat for six days, I'll let you in on the Moon Valley secret.

Moon Valley is a "Nature Conservancy" located between the boundaries of:
- Lakeshore Drive to the north
- Karwick Road (Hacienda) to the east
- Highway 12 to the south
- and Beachwalk (the housing development at about stop 9) to the west.

A map of the area can be found at the site below. Zoom out once or twice and scroll to the right (east). The big blank spot with a small lake and pond is Moon Valley:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1...=1&ct=image

It is a hidden treasure with several diverse ecosystems within its one hundred or so acres, including large dunes, a flat open prarie, two intradunal ponds/marshes, and a healthy deciduous forrest. It is a long thin strip of land (about a mile and half by a quarter of a mile), with a couple of good hiking trails that are perfect for a thirty minute run or hour-long hike, and it is very accessible. You can park and enter this little piece of wilderness through Beachwalk, from Lakeshore Drive, or from Hacienda (just across Karwick). From the top of one of the dunes, you can look down on a panaramic view that include Lake Michigan and all of our fair city (all the way out to the Valpo morain).

Moon Valley was selected as the site for two geo caches (a new sport using GPS systems to find hidden "treasures") by one of the popular websites because of its uniqueness and rugged beauty. Throughout the last two years, I have taken about 200 hikes in the area, and seen perhaps twenty other people. Without any real protection, the area is remarkably well preserved, although there are a few four wheelers who apparently use and abuse it: I've seen and heard them maybe three times in the last two years.

If you are looking for a quick, exciting hike within ten minutes driving distance of just about anywhere in MC, I highly recommend this Natural Preserve. In my opinion, it compares favorably to the local State and National Parks, and that comes from a person who visits them weekly as well. And, if you park on the east side of the preserve, you can count on a margarita or a beer and/or a black bean wet burrito awaiting you after some good excercise.

In fact, I'm heading out there right now.
Roger Kaputnik
See you there! I will be the middle-aged (yes, I can admit it!) guy running the trails. Thanks for the info--I promise not to tell anyone!
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Teach @ May 17 2008, 12:37 PM) *

# 17 -- Moon Valley

Now that all of you have been on the edge of your collective seat for six days, I'll let you in on the Moon Valley secret.

Moon Valley is a "Nature Conservancy" located between the boundaries of:
- Lakeshore Drive to the north
- Karwick Road (Hacienda) to the east
- Highway 12 to the south
- and Beachwalk (the housing development at about stop 9) to the west.

A map of the area can be found at the site below. Zoom out once or twice and scroll to the right (east). The big blank spot with a small lake and pond is Moon Valley:
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1...=1&ct=image

It is a hidden treasure with several diverse ecosystems within its one hundred or so acres, including large dunes, a flat open prarie, two intradunal ponds/marshes, and a healthy deciduous forrest. It is a long thin strip of land (about a mile and half by a quarter of a mile), with a couple of good hiking trails that are perfect for a thirty minute run or hour-long hike, and it is very accessible. You can park and enter this little piece of wilderness through Beachwalk, from Lakeshore Drive, or from Hacienda (just across Karwick). From the top of one of the dunes, you can look down on a panaramic view that include Lake Michigan and all of our fair city (all the way out to the Valpo morain).

Moon Valley was selected as the site for two geo caches (a new sport using GPS systems to find hidden "treasures") by one of the popular websites because of its uniqueness and rugged beauty. Throughout the last two years, I have taken about 200 hikes in the area, and seen perhaps twenty other people. Without any real protection, the area is remarkably well preserved, although there are a few four wheelers who apparently use and abuse it: I've seen and heard them maybe three times in the last two years.

If you are looking for a quick, exciting hike within ten minutes driving distance of just about anywhere in MC, I highly recommend this Natural Preserve. In my opinion, it compares favorably to the local State and National Parks, and that comes from a person who visits them weekly as well. And, if you park on the east side of the preserve, you can count on a margarita or a beer and/or a black bean wet burrito awaiting you after some good excercise.

In fact, I'm heading out there right now.

Wow, you are right, I had no idea. That might be a walk with the kids kind of thing.
Roger Kaputnik
I am about a 9½-minute mile runner. Can we park in the Hacienda lot to go on the Trail?

By the way, for all maps, etc., of Indiana, I recommend the Indiana Map site. This is the link to the Moon Valley area:

http://129.79.145.5/arcims/igic/viewer.htm

Marram
SSider - it is a great walk and I go with my daughter all the time. Be careful of ticks this time of year. Check your shoes and pants every five minutes, and do a more thorough check when you're done.

Roger - I have never had a problem parking at Hacienda. The entrance to the "Long Beach Nature Preserve" is right across the street from the restaurant exit, right next to a sign with the rules for the Preserve. I have also parked on Lakeshore Drive at the Beachwalk boardwalk public parking space and at Mullen school, but getting to the paths from there is a little more difficult to explain.

BTW, I tried the map you provided the URL for, but it did not go straight to the Moon Valley location. You had to zoom down from an Indiana map.

Please let me know if any of you try it.
edgeywood
QUOTE(Teach @ May 21 2008, 09:21 PM) *

Please let me know if any of you try it.

Thanks, Teach!

We went Tuesday and parked at Hacienda. It was an excellent walk!
Marram
QUOTE(edgeywood @ May 22 2008, 03:07 PM) *

Thanks, Teach!

We went Tuesday and parked at Hacienda. It was an excellent walk!

Great. Who is "we" (family?), and did you make it all the way to Beachwalk?
edgeywood
QUOTE(Teach @ May 22 2008, 09:29 PM) *

Great. Who is "we" (family?), and did you make it all the way to Beachwalk?

Myself and my husband...yes, we walked all the way to Beachwalk. The ponds are full of tadpoles and the lupine is blooming!
Marram
QUOTE(edgeywood @ May 23 2008, 06:58 PM) *

Myself and my husband...yes, we walked all the way to Beachwalk. The ponds are full of tadpoles and the lupine is blooming!

YES. Lupinus perennis L. is in bloom, but I have yet to see the famous endangered Lycaeides melissa samuelis (Karner Blue Butterfly) that depends on it for food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupin

USDA Lupin Page

IPB Image

IPB Image

My daughter and I are going to check it out right now.
Roger Kaputnik
Well, I finally got to The Valley! I parked by Al's and started the run there, continuing north on Karwick Rd. I looked for the trailhead across from the drive to Hacienda, but did not see it. I continued on Chastleton and found the path across from the other drive into Hacienda. I thought to myself that a pair of pruners would have come in handy, but since Moon Valley is a conserved area, it will be left as is. Went past the swamp, got to the sandy trails. I was surprised by how many trails there are.

I veered leftward, which I figure is the southern edge of the Valley. I did not see anyone until I got to Lake Kai next to Beachwalk. A couple plus a hound. I ran on the streets around Kai, returning to the sandy paths by the basketball court. I did not go up the dunes to the left. I returned essentially the way I came out, the total run lasting about 50 minutes.

I thought I would have sore ankles, but I actually felt pretty good. Thirsty. I think I got one chigger just south of my right knee. A little judicious scraping with a sharp knife has taken care of that. I did not meet up with a lot of wildlife, mainly squirrels. I saw a number of places I would put a deer stand. On the return trip, I closed my mouth quickly to avoid a flying insect; unfortunately, I inhaled with enough force to pull it into my nose. That was bad enough, but worse was being able to feel it on the nasal side of the soft palate! That one eventually got swallowed, along with another to keep it company. I was just about ready to find a spider to swallow.

Here is a hint about running in sand: Run tiptoe.
Marram
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ May 27 2008, 07:43 PM) *

Well, I finally got to The Valley! I parked by Al's and started the run there, continuing north on Karwick Rd. I looked for the trailhead across from the drive to Hacienda, but did not see it. I continued on Chastleton and found the path across from the other drive into Hacienda. I thought to myself that a pair of pruners would have come in handy, but since Moon Valley is a conserved area, it will be left as is. Went past the swamp, got to the sandy trails. I was surprised by how many trails there are.

I veered leftward, which I figure is the southern edge of the Valley. I did not see anyone until I got to Lake Kai next to Beachwalk. A couple plus a hound. I ran on the streets around Kai, returning to the sandy paths by the basketball court. I did not go up the dunes to the left. I returned essentially the way I came out, the total run lasting about 50 minutes.

I thought I would have sore ankles, but I actually felt pretty good. Thirsty. I think I got one chigger just south of my right knee. A little judicious scraping with a sharp knife has taken care of that. I did not meet up with a lot of wildlife, mainly squirrels. I saw a number of places I would put a deer stand. On the return trip, I closed my mouth quickly to avoid a flying insect; unfortunately, I inhaled with enough force to pull it into my nose. That was bad enough, but worse was being able to feel it on the nasal side of the soft palate! That one eventually got swallowed, along with another to keep it company. I was just about ready to find a spider to swallow.

Here is a hint about running in sand: Run tiptoe.

Thanks for sharing the "blow by blow." Sorry about the Chiggers: those are scary creatures. Just ask Pooh. Unfortunately, they will get worse before they get better this summer. Also, I strongly advise against either eating or inhaling both flying insects and spiders, especially while on the run. You might want to ask your family doctor about that.

You just have to run or hike up that dune sometime to enjoy the view of the month (not quite the "view of a lifetime," but getting there). And there are other paths with just as good or even better scenery. On one of those, my daughter and I encountered about five seperate bunches of blue lupin; and there is another, even more enchanting intradunal marsh to the south of the one you probably saw. That's where we saw the heron. Most of the wildlife is going to be smaller creatures -- squirrels, frogs, raccoons, a fox if you are truly lucky, a black bear or a moose if you are truly hallucinating -- and several species of birds and geese; but there are also a few deer in them there woods. Also, a veritable cornucopia of plant life.

I am really glad you had a chance to enjoy it, and I hope you give it a few more tries as the year winds on in order to appreciate the variety of wildlife juxtaposed against the changing seasons.
Marram
#19 Vote

#20 Vote in a City by the lake poll

#20 Get involved in your neighborhood and your community

#21 Sing karaoke at one of the local watering holes

#22 Attend an event at the newly renovated Memorial Park

#23 Walk the beach from Washington Park to stop 40 and back again (or catch a ride on a sailboat for the return trip)

#24 Have a coffee, a paper, and a bakery good by the fireplace at the Al's on Karwick

#25 Eat on the deck behind Swingbelly's, and enjoy the view of Lake Michigan, the Harbor, and the Lighthouse (ignore NIPSCO)
Southsider2k12
Nice additions to the list!
Roger Kaputnik
26. Ride a bicycle on York St. (just the cobblestone part).
Ang
27. Watch the drawbridge go up from Millenium Park, then watch the boat go through
Dave
QUOTE(Teach @ May 27 2008, 10:56 PM) *

#21 Sing karaoke at one of the local watering holes

This could only happen for me if:

1. I ingested enough gin to become a fire hazard
2. Everyone within earshot was issued earplugs for their own protection.
ChickenCityRoller
Yeah, moon valley is cool. I grew up in Long Beach so that was my stomping grounds back in the day. Great trails for hiking and or cross country skiing. I know someone who had a chance to buy the entire forest for 10,000 back about 30 years ago. Ahhhh hindsight.
Dan
Have a cheese dog and a root beer at Carlson's
Cruise the strip
See a play by the Footlight Players
Roger Kaputnik
Sit out a BIG thunderstorm in the Library.
Southsider2k12
28. Watch the 4th of July parade and the fireworks show.
Marram
Finally got a couple shots of Moon Valley uploaded that I would like to share with you:

First, the hill that I took the shots from. Actually, the tree on the top of the hill from which I took the shots. See the tree on the tip-top?

IPB Image

The north view from the top:

IPB Image

My favorite view, the west view. What all can you identify?

IPB Image

Northwest (lighthouse) view:

IPB Image

South view: even though the day was a bit hazy you can still see the -- Grain Elevator on 12, Michigan Blvd Water Tower, roof of the Marquette Mall -- just a little to the right and further back as a barely visible white line--, and the Valparaiso moraine.

IPB Image

Southeast view: you can see a bit more of the "Prarie becoming Oak Savannah," the path through it, and hidden farther to the left are the marshes, woodlands, more dunes, and, finally, Karwick and Hacienda.

IPB Image

Isn't it interesting how the city looks like a big forrest surrounding a few isolated buildings when you see it from this kind of angle? I'll post a few of the marshes after I take a couple.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.