Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The MC quiz thread
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Living
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Southsider2k12
So to try something different, how about a perpetual quiz thread? I am thinking we have a question out there, then whoever answers it gets to ask the next question.

I'll start it off...

What is the first street south of the numbered streets?
JHeath
What is the first street south of the numbered streets?

Without looking at a map, I'm going to guess Detriot Street, which intestects with Franklin just south of 11th (near the Moose Lodge and the BP station).
Ang
I agree with JHeath, but I know that doesn't mean I get to ask the next question. sad.gif
JHeath
QUOTE(Ang @ Jun 17 2008, 03:13 PM) *

I agree with JHeath, but I know that doesn't mean I get to ask the next question. sad.gif

Go ahead, Ang. I'll pass that honor on to you. smile.gif
Tim
Detroit St.

Next question - where was M&M Restaurant originally located?
mcstumper
QUOTE(Tim @ Jun 17 2008, 10:15 PM) *

Detroit St.

Next question - where was M&M Restaurant originally located?

Mars?
Tim
QUOTE(mcstumper @ Jun 17 2008, 09:37 PM) *

Mars?

Dude - it clearly says MC - not "solar system".
biggrin.gif

Roger Kaputnik
'Tween 11th and 10th on Franklin?
Ang
I think SSder said the rules were that the FIRST person to answer correctly gets to ask the next question.
Roger Kaputnik
Yes, I think SSider did. So Ang gets to ask, and the M&M question has to be put aside. I think it was Winston Churchill who put it best: Until Tim is the next, first-correct responder, his question is relegated to the ash heap of this message board.
Tim
Are we taking guesses as actually winning entries? If so, IHeath gets to ask the next question. I'll withdraw mine until the proper time.
Roger Kaputnik
In order to avoid confusion, let us agree to stop using punctuation when answering in this thread.
JHeath
Q:What year did Marquette Mall open?
Roger Kaputnik
JHeath
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jun 19 2008, 12:40 PM) *

Nope. Next response, please... wink.gif
Tim
QUOTE(JHeath @ Jun 19 2008, 12:07 PM) *

Nope. Next response, please... wink.gif

Marquette Mall opened in 1967.

I remember a girl who lived near us and I went to the mall when it was being built. We'd heard about it, but never having been in that type of mall, we figured it was going to be a glorified Park N' Shop. The store were built - they all had naked mannequins in the front window areas - we just walked through there like we'd landed on the moon - we were going to be like the Jetsons!

Let's go back to my M&M question - anyone?
Roger Kaputnik
Franklin St, 'tween 9th and 10th
Tim
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jun 20 2008, 09:33 AM) *

Franklin St, 'tween 9th and 10th

You're warm - but I'm looking for a more specific answer than an entire city block.

Do your best!
Roger Kaputnik
where the dry cleaners is now on the corner of tenth and franlin
Tim
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jun 23 2008, 08:14 AM) *

where the dry cleaners is now on the corner of tenth and franlin

Is that anywhere near 10th and Franklin?

Ha ha.

Do you mean the NW corner?
JHeath
QUOTE(Tim @ Jun 23 2008, 05:17 PM) *

Is that anywhere near 10th and Franklin?

Ha ha.

Do you mean the NW corner?

I thought that was Mayer's (Children's clothing shop)...? Or was that one storefront north?
Tim
QUOTE(JHeath @ Jun 23 2008, 08:21 PM) *

I thought that was Mayer's (Children's clothing shop)...? Or was that one storefront north?

Mayer's was not on the corner.

Come on, Rog - let's move the quiz along!
Roger Kaputnik
Τhe dry cleaners is on the SE corner
Tim
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jun 24 2008, 08:56 PM) *

Τhe dry cleaners is on the SE corner

That's not where M&M used to be.

Any other takers? If not, I'll answer tomorrow and ask a new, more user-friendly question. smile.gif
Roger Kaputnik
Just between you and me, I felt it was unfair to look up the answer to your question, preferring the extra challenge of top-of-my-mind answers instead of mere research. I would have looked in the Old Restaurants thread for the answer, if so inclined.
JHeath
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jun 25 2008, 02:44 PM) *

Just between you and me, I felt it was unfair to look up the answer to your question, preferring the extra challenge of top-of-my-mind answers instead of mere research. I would have looked in the Old Restaurants thread for the answer, if so inclined.

I agree, Roger. But I did go look up that thread. Not being quite as "seasoned" as some others, I'm questionning the locale. I thought there was a barbershop there. In fact, wasn't that Lou Esper's place?
Roger Kaputnik
His place is still there, where a diner used to be. It is the NE corner of Franklin and 10th.
JHeath
wink.gif
Guess I'm not old enough to remember that.
Ang
QUOTE(JHeath @ Jun 25 2008, 03:10 PM) *

wink.gif
Guess I'm not old enough to remember that.

That's okay. I am old enough to remember and don't. tongue.gif
Roger Kaputnik
It has been Espar's joint for decades, so your youth cannot be held against you.
Tim
QUOTE(JHeath @ Jun 25 2008, 01:59 PM) *

I agree, Roger. But I did go look up that thread. Not being quite as "seasoned" as some others, I'm questionning the locale. I thought there was a barbershop there. In fact, wasn't that Lou Esper's place?

M&M was in fact where Lou Espar's barber shop is/was. My mom used to take me and my sister there when we were kids - must have been the late 50's.

Let's try an easier one - what month and years did Rogers High School's first students enter the school for classes?
Ang
September 1972
Tim
QUOTE(Ang @ Jun 25 2008, 04:20 PM) *

September 1972

Sorry - incorrect.
Roger Kaputnik
Aug '72
Tim
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jun 25 2008, 04:26 PM) *

Aug '72

Both month and year are wrong.

Try again!
CaddyRich
September 1970
Dan
September 1974
Roger Kaputnik
that smells right
Tim
QUOTE(CaddyRich @ Jun 26 2008, 09:24 AM) *

September 1970

Incorrect.
Tim
QUOTE(Dan @ Jun 26 2008, 10:26 AM) *

September 1974

Also incorrect.
CaddyRich
September 1971
Tim
QUOTE(CaddyRich @ Jun 26 2008, 06:28 PM) *

September 1971

Winner!

I started my junior year at Rogers in Sept., '71. It seems like we had to wait a week due to construction not being done - and it was still under construction when we started classes. I don't think they actually finished the gym until right before that first graduation in '72.

Congrats

IPB Image

- your question?
CaddyRich
Ok...here's an easy one...

Name the NFL quarterback who was a spokesman for Jaymar-Ruby in the 70's...His line at the end of every TV ad was, "Sansabelt Slacks...From Jaymar-Ruby Corporation in Michigan City, Indiana."

Dave
Joe Namuth?
CaddyRich
QUOTE(Dave @ Jun 27 2008, 01:44 PM) *

Joe Namuth?

Incorrect. Think older and not so hip.
Tim
QUOTE(CaddyRich @ Jun 27 2008, 01:42 PM) *

Incorrect. Think older and not so hip.

Wow - I didn't even know there were Sansabelt TV ads back then! THerefore, no freaking idea!
Marram
I don't know if you can be older than Namath and be in the '70's. In fact, Namath's glory years were in '67 through '69, with an improbable SuperBowl win in at the end of the '68 season (in '69).

So if he's older than Namath but in the '70's, I'm thinking Johnny U, Lamonica, or George Blanda.

I admit doing some research to try to find the answer. Heck, research should be rewarded, not frowned upon. Whilst doing my due diligence, I came upon the following:

from "Jaymar Ruby 'Belts' the Competition," by Phil Loranger

The firm had introduced the now-famous brand of Jaymar slacks in 1950. Business took off in 1959, when the company began to advertise its Sansabelt slacks, introduced in 1957, on network television...

The new advertising campaign... will mark a new era for Jaymar-Ruby, a company that has piled up an impressive list of industry "firsts" in its eight-decade history. Jaymar-Ruby was the first: . To introduce the zipper closure in men's slacks; . To offer change pockets on the inside front pocket; . To use the hook-and-eye closure on men's slacks; . To pioneer the Sansabelt slack concept; . To incorporate a no-roll waistband in its product lines; . To offer many of the man-made fibers in its slacks; . To air coast-to-coast local retailer cut-in commercials on television; and . To operate a fully computerized spreading, marking, sizing and cutting system in the industry.

And I also ran into this little ditty written by a MC transplant who casts a rather cynical eye toward our fair city:

"Chinese Broccoli," by Liz

At some point the semi-lost-soul-Hoosier/part-time-Chicagoan town decided a bit of economic stimulation was needed, so they accepted a bid for one of the country's first outlet malls to be built over by the NIPSCO plant (not a "nuke-ular" plant, though it looks the same as one) and the Jaymar Ruby Sans-a-Belt slacks factory. The outlet mall boasted startling new brand names the likes of which 46360 had never seen before, like Benneton. City folk made Michigan City more of a destination and the mall back by the highway started to fail. Soon the novelty gift store, the creepy hidden video arcade, the Claire's Boutiques, B. Dalton, and the corn dog stand would all be gone. Today the anchor stores are still there (Sears, Carson Pirie-Scott, and JC Penney's) but the bulk of Marquette Mall is abandoned save for an oversized Hallmark shop, a 365-days-a-year Christmas store, and a couple of cell phone stands. I tried to buy shoelaces there this past weekend, just to see if I could, and despite the two or three extant shoe stores, I had to go across the parking lot to Walgreen's...

I had my first swim lessons and my first positive day camp experiences at the Michigan City YMCA down on Coolspring. I was in Polliwogs or Guppies or Silverfish or whatever and have been, as a result of this place, a swimmer my whole life. I also had a gymnastics class here where the instructor, no doubt fourteen though I'm sure I thought she was ancient, was so mad at me once she insisted smoke would come out of her ears. I was terrified. I had a swim at the Michigan City Y just last year and I don't think the locker room had been updated or even cleaned since I was a Polliwog. The pool was fairly disgusting too. Yesterday they had their YMCA charter revoked...

A million other things happened and disappeared here too: Fried's Cat Shelter, whose name became more than ironic when the entire thing was destroyed by fire, the Franklin Pharmacy whose animated neon mortar-and-pestle are now echoed bizarrely in the modern logo of the newly erected Walgreens across the street, the crazy-arc architecture of Al's Grocery Store that became Frank's Nursery and Crafts that became Goodwill that became, I think, abandoned, the hobbit-renovated brick brewery on 8th street that nature has nearly fully reclaimed, the strip mall that came and went at Lake Shore Drive and Lake, the Hot'n'Now burger drive-thru that is now a delicious low-rent Mexican joint. ..

Wherefore art thou, weird old timey Michigan City? Not to worry, the world's most angularly modern library is still thriving, the creepy observation tower still looms atop the depressing zoo, the dunes still roll even in the shadows of teetering apartment developments, and yes, most importantly, the electric trains from Chicago still go right down the middle of the street.

I would have never found those articles had I just used my memory (and the memories of a ten-year-old at that).
CaddyRich
Ok...here's a hint...Think West Coast.
Marram
QUOTE(CaddyRich @ Jun 28 2008, 07:54 AM) *

Ok...here's a hint...Think West Coast.

Stabler (already said Blanda), Montana, Haden, Kemp?
CaddyRich
QUOTE(Marram @ Jun 28 2008, 09:56 AM) *

Stabler (already said Blanda), Montana, Haden, Kemp?

OK...another hint...before the best QB in Notre Dame history.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.