Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BBQ grill
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Living
Southsider2k12
I have been looking for a new one, and wanted to pass this along, for anyone else who is as mechanically inept as myself. Lowe's will assemble any grill you buy there for free. Bring your truck though because they do charge $79 to deliver.
Roger Kaputnik
Let us know which one you decide on (features, gas/charcoal) and how much you grill.
Southsider2k12
Its already picked out. I got a 3 burner propane grill with a sideburner. I can't remember the brand name at this moment. I will be grilling a lot more often now, as I am trading up from charcoal.
Roger Kaputnik
Brand is not important. Most are made by the same few companies anyway.
mcstumper
Only thing I care about is how long the grates last. I swear that I have to replace the grates on mine annually because of rust. I guess we will have to wait a year or two to get a report back from you on this...
ChickenCityRoller
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jul 2 2008, 03:16 PM) *
Brand is not important. Most are made by the same few companies anyway.

Are you sure about that?

The benchmark for me is the Weber Kettle.

When I really want to roast some weenies, I pull out the big guns! lol. If any of you ever throw a BIG party and need something to cook with, drop me a line, all you need is a two inch ball.

IPB Image

mcstumper
When I really want to roast some weenies, I pull out the big guns! lol. If any of you ever throw a BIG party and need something to cook with, drop me a line, all you need is a two inch ball.

I think I'd need two if I was going to try to operate something like that.
Dan
QUOTE(mcstumper @ Jul 2 2008, 08:16 PM) *

I think I'd need two if I was going to try to operate something like that.

laugh.gif
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Jul 2 2008, 06:44 PM) *

Are you sure about that?

The benchmark for me is the Weber Kettle.

Does it come with its own angelic music? laugh.gif
Roger Kaputnik
WOW! that is a grill!
ChickenCityRoller
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jul 3 2008, 10:43 AM) *
WOW! that is a grill!

Hehe, it's a lot of fun. I'm serious though, if anyone ever needs to cook for a BUNCH of people, drop me a line. You need to have at least 40 people to merit firing it up.

IPB Image

IPB Image

JHeath
laugh.gif I think Ang would agree...It's not the size of the grill, but how you use it. laugh.gif
Ang
QUOTE(JHeath @ Jul 3 2008, 12:13 PM) *

laugh.gif I think Ang would agree...It's not the size of the grill, but how you use it. laugh.gif

AMEN SISTER!!!
ohmy.gif
(did I say that?)
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(JHeath @ Jul 3 2008, 01:13 PM) *

Then again, he could just be overcompensating... ph34r.gif
Ang
You mean like a corvette?
ohmy.gif
Roger Kaputnik
I would have said Hummer, but those rather quickly became chick cars.
Dave
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jul 4 2008, 10:10 AM) *

I would have said Hummer, but those rather quickly became chick cars.

You know, if some guy was to walk up to me and say. "I'm so excited, I'm getting a Hummer!" I wouldn't think he was talking about getting a new car....
Roger Kaputnik
Would you think he was "going to the Tower" ?
Dave
That's a distinct possibility!
Ang
OMG!! I think we just coined a new phrase.
Roger Kaputnik
It even has what are referred to as Freudian overtones.
ChickenCityRoller
IPB Image
Roger Kaputnik
Whar are those shirts available from?
ChickenCityRoller
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jul 9 2008, 02:20 PM) *
Whar are those shirts available from?

I thought you were from the old school where ending a sentence with a preposition is a no no. tongue.gif

You can find ANYTHING on google: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=...=bummer+t+shirt

Roger Kaputnik
That no-prep business is pure baloney. It became fashionable in Victorian England, where there was undue adulation of all things classical. Because English is structured quite differently from Latin and Greek, it has always been acceptable, even preferable in some cases, to put a preposition at the end of a sentence.

Winston Churchill famously answered a would-be editor of his, "This is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put!"

ChickenCityRoller
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jul 9 2008, 05:28 PM) *
That no-prep business is pure baloney. It became fashionable in Victorian England, where there was undue adulation of all things classical. Because English is structured quite differently from Latin and Greek, it has always been acceptable, even preferable in some cases, to put a preposition at the end of a sentence.

Winston Churchill famously answered a would-be editor of his, "This is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put!"

lol, I was just trolling.

Did you order the shirt? biggrin.gif

Roger Kaputnik
I recently did some laundry and counted over 200 freakin' T-shirts! I do not need another one, cool as it is.
Southsider2k12
Sounds like it is time for a Salvation Army trip!
Roger Kaputnik
No, I don't think another one would fit in the closet!
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jul 11 2008, 08:10 AM) *

Donate, not buy!!!
Dave
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Jul 11 2008, 07:08 AM) *

Sounds like it is time for a Salvation Army trip!

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jul 11 2008, 08:10 AM) *

How many Salvation Armies can you fit in your closet?

I keep losing mine behind my shoes.
Ang
I don't know either cause mine keep going AWOL
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 11 2008, 03:19 PM) *

I don't know either cause mine keep going AWOL

Its probably from all of that sniper fire they keep taking...
Ang
Yeah, the gremlins on the shelf aren't very fond of the armies on the floor cause they keep wanting to save people. Gremlins aren't very nice you know. I have to keep the door closed at night just to get some sleep.
Roger Kaputnik
Now, see, you got it all wrong...

"Salvation Army" is the adjectival phrase modifying "trip," for which I checked again, and no, there is no room in there.

Next time, I am gonna get my closets from the Timothy Leary Design Shops.
Southsider2k12
Now to bring this thread full circle... The grill is a perfect flame, and it works just awesome. We have had two decent size cookouts, and it has been a champ.
Roger Kaputnik
How often do you grill? And what is a typical load?
ChickenCityRoller
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Jul 14 2008, 10:34 AM) *
Now to bring this thread full circle... The grill is a perfect flame, and it works just awesome. We have had two decent size cookouts, and it has been a champ.

Nice! Now don't let a little bit of that white stuff (snow) deter you from firing it up in the winter. May I make a couple suggestions? Get some cedar shingles to do fish on. Get a pizza stone (make sure you heat it up by starting the grill with the stone on or it'll crack). Experiment with making some tinfoil packets with wet wood chips inside to get a smoke infusion going on. I grill out a lot a lot! Oh, one more thing, for about 20 bucks you can find a digital wireless thermometer. You can be inside watching the Cubs win while the probe is in the bird and the display is in your pocket. Very handy, especially when it's cold out.

Southsider2k12
QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Jul 14 2008, 11:55 AM) *

Nice! Now don't let a little bit of that white stuff (snow) deter you from firing it up in the winter. May I make a couple suggestions? Get some cedar shingles to do fish on. Get a pizza stone (make sure you heat it up by starting the grill with the stone on or it'll crack). Experiment with making some tinfoil packets with wet wood chips inside to get a smoke infusion going on. I grill out a lot a lot! Oh, one more thing, for about 20 bucks you can find a digital wireless thermometer. You can be inside watching the Cubs win while the probe is in the bird and the display is in your pocket. Very handy, especially when it's cold out.

We have a semi covered porch in the backyard, so the BBQing should go on all year long smile.gif

The new gear does have a thermometer built into it, so it would only take a quick trip outside away from the White Sox playoff games to see how those brats were frying up.

As to Rog, I would say we are in unexplored territory. I used to only cookout a few times a year, but that was with the much harder to deal with charcoal. The first two cookouts this year were for between 15-20, but usually it is just the wife and kids.
ChickenCityRoller
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Jul 14 2008, 12:25 PM) *

The new gear does have a thermometer built into it, so it would only take a quick trip outside away from the White Sox playoff games to see how those brats were frying up.

If I'm following you, the grill has a thermometer built in to show the ambient temperature of the grill. I'm talking about a wireless MEAT thermometer. That way when you're watching the cubs put the hurt on St. Louis, you can see that your filet is at 120 degrees and you have five more to go 'til done.

Alright, I'll just say it. GO CUBS! laugh.gif

Roger Kaputnik
I would also suggest one of those pans to roast vegetables on. Mmmm-mmmmm! Of course, kids don't cotton to many vegetables, but we like 'em.
Ang
This is the BEST:

Slice potatoes and onions in circles. Get some bacon and the Reynold's Wrap heavy duty foil.

Make a pouch with foil of potatoes, butter, onion, bacon. keep layering in that order until you've used everything up. Wrap the pouch and seal the edges as tightly as you can (to prevent the butter from leaking out). Throw it on the grill as soon as you fire it up and let it cook for an hour or so (depending on how many potatoes you used) flipping it over every 10-15 minutes. Slicing the potatoes as thin as you possibly can reduces the cook time.
Cut a slit in the foil when they're done and enjoy!

I've always called them creek-fried potatoes and they are DELISH!!!!!!!!!!
Southsider2k12
How about corn on the cob on the grill? I want to try it, but I am not sure how.
Ang
You can either lay it one the grill in the shuck and cook it that way, or you can clean the corn, rinse it and wrap it in foil with butter. Either way takes about 30 minutes to fully cook
ChickenCityRoller
SS'er if you ever get adventurous... Paella! Lot's of fun and it can be pretty much a kitchen sink recipe with VERY little clean up. Always a crowd pleaser.

IPB Image
ChickenCityRoller
And for good measure, what I call fish on a stick. Seriously though, if you like fish and you're grilling out, you gotta try it. Go get some cedar shingles or a piece of cedar made specifically for this. Ace sells them. Soak the plank for 20 minutes or more in water. I use warm water (I think it saturates quicker than cold water), fill up a sink and put your plank or planks in and weight it down with a pot or something so they don't float on the surface.
Salmonoids like Salmon or Artic Char work best for this technique. Simply season your fish with salt and pepper and then put it skin side down on the plank indirectly over the flame. Leave it be until it's done. You don't need to flip the filet. The cedar will infuse a nice flavor and it's really easy!

IPB Image
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 14 2008, 03:15 PM) *

You can either lay it one the grill in the shuck and cook it that way, or you can clean the corn, rinse it and wrap it in foil with butter. Either way takes about 30 minutes to fully cook

How hot? Lower level or upper level?
Roger Kaputnik
What is all that white stuff? frosting?
ChickenCityRoller
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jul 21 2008, 03:51 PM) *
What is all that white stuff? frosting?

Omega 3 fat!

Ang
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Jul 21 2008, 02:19 PM) *

How hot? Lower level or upper level?

If in the shuck, upper level, if wrapped in foil, either level is fine. I always cooked it at med temp, same as burgers and dogs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.