Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head Dem Kora running for school board
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk > Election Headquarters
Southsider2k12
Very interesting to say the least. I can't wait to hear his opinions on some of the big issues. I am definitely going to try to get an interview set up as we get closer to the election.
lovethiscity
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Jul 24 2008, 12:54 PM) *

Very interesting to say the least. I can't wait to hear his opinions on some of the big issues. I am definitely going to try to get an interview set up as we get closer to the election.

I am wondering why now? In the mist of such a very important, arguably the most important Presidential election of my lifetime. Why would the local Democratic Party Chair divert his attention from his duties of guiding the party to running his own campaign?
ChickenCityRoller
QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Jul 26 2008, 07:54 AM) *

I am wondering why now? In the mist of such a very important, arguably the most important Presidential election of my lifetime. Why would the local Democratic Party Chair divert his attention from his duties of guiding the party to running his own campaign?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest maybe because he's an egotistical megalomaniac.

Ang
I'm gonna hang out on that limb with CCR for awhile.
Southsider2k12
Now that it has been mentioned, it is kind of odd. Correct me if I am wrong, but as the leader of a party, your main job is to find qualified candidates to fill your slate of people to run for office. After that, you are supposed to bust your gut to do what it takes to get them elected. The big point is that you are supposed to delegate the running for office out, so that you can put your body of work into getting people elected. This really does divide his loyalties. In a close election like this one, this could mean a huge difference. They are trying to get Obama elected and Daniels knocked out of office, is Kora going to be able to put a 100% effort into doing that? Having just run for school board in the last election cycle I can say with 100% certainty that he will NOT. It takes a lot of time to do this, so much so that I decided not to run again so as not to miss family time. Throw in the career time needed, and there is literally no time left for anything else. I really think Kora needs to step down from his leadership position in the party.
Roger Kaputnik
Given all that, SSider, you should get an interview sooner rather than later.
Southsider2k12
When the public forums start happening, I will start talking to these guys.
kharris
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Jul 28 2008, 08:03 AM) *

Now that it has been mentioned, it is kind of odd. Correct me if I am wrong, but as the leader of a party, your main job is to find qualified candidates to fill your slate of people to run for office. After that, you are supposed to bust your gut to do what it takes to get them elected. The big point is that you are supposed to delegate the running for office out, so that you can put your body of work into getting people elected. This really does divide his loyalties. In a close election like this one, this could mean a huge difference. They are trying to get Obama elected and Daniels knocked out of office, is Kora going to be able to put a 100% effort into doing that? Having just run for school board in the last election cycle I can say with 100% certainty that he will NOT. It takes a lot of time to do this, so much so that I decided not to run again so as not to miss family time. Throw in the career time needed, and there is literally no time left for anything else. I really think Kora needs to step down from his leadership position in the party.

I believe that Dr Kora's term as party head is about over and from what I have heard he does not intend to seek re-election to that position. But I would venture a guess that he will do little active campaigning thinking that his name will carry him.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(kharris @ Jul 28 2008, 01:21 PM) *

I believe that Dr Kora's term as party head is about over and from what I have heard he does not intend to seek re-election to that position. But I would venture a guess that he will do little active campaigning thinking that his name will carry him.

My biggest fear is that Rick Carlson having two opponents splits the vote and ends up putting him back into another 4 year term. I honestly think Rick is the most sincere of anyone on that board when it comes to really caring about the kids, viewed through his deep participation in the schools. I respect him as a person and community member more than all but one of the other 6 people on that board. I don't agree with him at all when it comes to his voting record. He is one of the members I would like to see replaced for those reasons.
Marram
Given Dr. Kora's access to the party's resources and influence and the fact that this position is supposed to be nonpartison, I would hope he resigns sooner rather than later.
Roger Kaputnik
I second your words re Rick Carlson, SSider! Great guy, but not on the board.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.