Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MCAS Board Election--2008
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk > Election Headquarters
Pages: 1, 2
Roger Kaputnik
I am not clear on some aspects of the School Board election, so this thread is meant to pose and respond to general questions (NOT candidate-specific) and discussion.

Question 1.

How many seats are up for grabs this election cycle?

Question 2.

What kind of districts are set out, and do candidates run at-large or in districts?

Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jul 24 2008, 03:23 PM) *

I am not clear on some aspects of the School Board election, so this thread is meant to pose and respond to general questions (NOT candidate-specific) and discussion.
Question 1.

How many seats are up for grabs this election cycle?

Stealing from Greg Tuel's announcement thread...

There are three seats being contested: the Civil City Seat, the Coolspring/Pine Township Seat, and the Springfield/Long Beach Township Seat.

Question 2.

What kind of districts are set out, and do candidates run at-large or in districts?

[quote]

I can't find an official statement on the website, so I will defer to someone who has the exact specifications for the board make up. There are certian districts, and there are at large seats that can come from anywhere in the district, for a total of seven seats. I cannot recall those exact numbers and boundaries right now.
Marram
4 - Michigan City Civil City Seats
1 - At-large Seat - Anywhere in the MCAS district
1 - Springfield/Long Beach - includes Michiana Shores too
1 - Pines/ Coolspring

Those positions define where the candidate lives, not who you vote for: if you live anywhere in the MCAS district, you vote for all of those seats; but if you live in the Pines, for example, you can only run for the Pine/Coolspring seat or the At-large seat.

Hope that helps.
Roger Kaputnik
Where else is info available about the Board? How often meet, how much time it requires, etc.?
JHeath
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jul 30 2008, 02:43 PM) *

Where else is info available about the Board? How often meet, how much time it requires, etc.?

Considering a run, Roger?
Ang
The school's website will give you info on board meetings, etc.

www.mcas.k12.in.us
Roger Kaputnik
I know someone who is. My question is about the extra workload required to do the job well, not the meeting times themselves.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jul 30 2008, 08:06 PM) *

I know someone who is. My question is about the extra workload required to do the job well, not the meeting times themselves.

It's plenty if you want to do it right. There are plenty of studies, budgets, and interpersonal communications that need to be taken care of it you want it done the way we the taxpayers want it done.
Marram
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jul 30 2008, 08:06 PM) *

If she/he is thinking about running for the Civil City Seat, sorry, but we're all booked up.

Seriously, though, an earnest run for office recquires a commitment of at least 200 hours of tough campaigning: walking the neighborhoods, studying the issues, preparing for the forums, and listening to the voters. Anything less just won't cut it. And, if you win, that will end up being the easy part. Also, even if I were not running I would write this: the more candidates that pursue any given seat, the greater chance that the incumbant will win.

Having said that, if your friend is sincere and committed, then he/she should run.
Roger Kaputnik
It is the Coolspring seat.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Aug 1 2008, 07:51 AM) *

It is the Coolspring seat.

I wonder if we know the same person... ph34r.gif
Roger Kaputnik
Who is the incumbent?
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Aug 7 2008, 12:32 PM) *

Who is the incumbent?

Nate Gipson is Coolspring seat.
Clyde Zeek is the Long Beach seat.
Rick Carlson is City seat.
Roger Kaputnik
Hmmmmmm.......
Roger Kaputnik
Chamber of Commerce is sponsoring an information meeting regarding the school board election. It is Thursday, 7-9. There was something in the ND.
Yokas
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Aug 12 2008, 10:07 AM) *

Chamber of Commerce is sponsoring an information meeting regarding the school board election. It is Thursday, 7-9. There was something in the ND.

I was told about this meeting through the chamber but couldn't find it in the ND. What issue was it in?
Roger Kaputnik
Yesterday, page A3 Col 1, I believe.
Yokas
QUOTE(Michele @ Aug 12 2008, 12:37 PM) *

I was told about this meeting through the chamber but couldn't find it in the ND. What issue was it in?

Thanks, I'll check that out this evening. I definitely want to attend this meeting.
Southsider2k12
Anything interesting come out of it?

Also as you guys hear the schedule for forums, let me know. I want to make it to at least one or two of them.
Marram
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Aug 13 2008, 08:15 AM) *

Anything interesting come out of it?

The meeting is not until tomorrow (Thur), 7-9. I believe it is being held at the Senior Center.
Yokas
QUOTE(Marram @ Aug 13 2008, 05:22 PM) *

The meeting is not until tomorrow (Thur), 7-9. I believe it is being held at the Senior Center.

I'm definitely attending the meeting. It's interesting to me that the chamber is doing this. I will report back what I hear.
Roger Kaputnik
Turnover is the slogan of this cycle. We must get new folks in.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Aug 14 2008, 09:33 AM) *

Turnover is the slogan of this cycle. We must get new folks in.

we, the people, need at least one more vote on the board, that is all there is to it.
Roger Kaputnik
It will take three cycles to get complete turnover, right?
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Aug 14 2008, 11:35 AM) *

It will take three cycles to get complete turnover, right?

Two.

Three seats this election, another 4 in two years after that (Nov2010)
Roger Kaputnik
Hmmm......
Southsider2k12
Apparently someone at the meeting was saying that I was running this year... Sorry folks, its still not true. Unlike some politicians, when I say I won't run, I am not running!

From what I understand, there were a few more people who were at the meetings, who have not publicly accounced that they are running. It does sound like all incumbants will have challengers.

All of my information is second-hand, so I would be curious to hear from those who actually went.
Dave
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Aug 15 2008, 09:12 AM) *

Apparently someone at the meeting was saying that I was running this year... Sorry folks, its still not true. Unlike some politicians, when I say I won't run, I am not running!

General William Tecumseh Sherman - 1884

“If drafted, I will not run; if nominated, I will not accept; if elected, I will not serve.”
Yokas
I attended the Chamber meeting last night. Twenty-six people (plus me) attended. Lots of chamber people, business people, Indiana School Board Association people and people that I expect to announce that they are running for the school board. In my humble opinion, 2 major points were emphasized in this 2 hour meeting:
1. If you are running for school board, you must suport the strategic plan
2. It is very difficult and stressful to run for school board, so don't feel badly if you want to drop out.
kharris
QUOTE(Michele @ Aug 15 2008, 04:27 PM) *

I attended the Chamber meeting last night. Twenty-six people (plus me) attended. Lots of chamber people, business people, Indiana School Board Association people and people that I expect to announce that they are running for the school board. In my humble opinion, 2 major points were emphasized in this 2 hour meeting:
1. If you are running for school board, you must suport the strategic plan
2. It is very difficult and stressful to run for school board, so don't feel badly if you want to drop out.
Sounds to me that the objective is to "stack" the school board with the "chosen" candidates much like what took place in last year's council elections.
Marram
The Chamber did make it clear that their agenda is most definitely to support the Strategic Plan, and to support candidates who do the same. As candidates, we should have plenty of time to debate the plan over the next two months, and to ascertain that the voters are participating in that conversation. At the meeting:
  1. The registration procedure was highlighted by Ron Miller from WEFM
  2. The role of a school board member was discussed by a representative from downstate and a member of the Hobart School Board
  3. And there was discussion about the role of the Chamber in this election and in general in terms of the MCAS
We also learned the following:
  1. The Chamber will be sponsoring a forum
  2. They will be interviewing candidates and presumably endorsing three
Dave
QUOTE(Marram @ Aug 15 2008, 11:12 PM) *

The Chamber did make it clear that their agenda is most definitely to support the Strategic Plan, and to support candidates who do the same.

Interesting.

The Michigan City Chamber of Commerce is set up as a not-for-profit corporation under United States Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. § 501(c )(6). Per wikipedia,

The 501(c )(6) is specifically reserved to Professional and Trade organizations (Associations and Societies), chamber of commerce organizations, economic development corporations, real estate boards, trade boards, professional football leagues (e.g., the NFL), and other types of business leagues. They are characterized by a common business interest, which the organization typically promotes. Organizations under this category are exempt from most federal income taxes. "Membership Dues" for a 501(c )(6) are tax deductible as business expenses, however any percentage of these used for political activities (like lobbying) is not tax deductible. The organization must report what percentage of these "dues" is not deductible.

501(c )(6) organizations may engage in limited political activities that inform, educate, and promote their given interest. They may not engage in direct expenditures advocating a vote for a political candidate or cause. Donations to 501©(6) organizations are not required to be disclosed.

You can look it up in wiki under "501(c )" (how the heck do you make this thing not change a "c" in parens into a ©?)

In any case, I don't know if they should be backing particular school board candidates based on how they stand on that "Stragegic Plan". Or for any other reason, for that matter.
kharris
QUOTE(Dave @ Aug 16 2008, 05:08 AM) *

Interesting.

The Michigan City Chamber of Commerce is set up as a not-for-profit corporation under United States Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. § 501(c )(6). Per wikipedia,
You can look it up in wiki under "501(c )" (how the heck do you make this thing not change a "c" in parens into a ©?)

In any case, I don't know if they should be backing particular school board candidates based on how they stand on that "Stragegic Plan". Or for any other reason, for that matter.

According to the IRS code you quoted, "501(c )(6) organizations may engage in limited political activities that inform, educate, and promote their given interest." it appears a though thay can indeed can support candidates of their choice who are willing to support the startegic plan. But from another point of view, should they be pushing their own agenda (much like in last year's elections) regardless of what the voting public may have to to say? The status of the local school system certainly does effect the decision of business contemplating a move into the community and in that sense the chamber may have some involvement. But as I look at the overall picture, I continue to see a couple of local entities (I'll let the reader make their own deductions here) attempting to direct all decisions for growth in the City.
Southsider2k12
Its obvious the Chamber wants candidates who support the Strategic plan, and indirectly Michael Harding, because that was their baby. They put it together. They are afraid if the school board vote changes, Harding might be gone, and so might their strategic plan.
Roger Kaputnik
It does seem that the SP is mostly lip service. If you look on the mcas site, there is a ton of blank space in most of the action-taken categories.
Roger Kaputnik
Now, back to the general discussion and away from candidate-oriented talk, here is something I cannot find the answer to.

On the ballot, if I live in Springfield Twp., who is gonna appear on my ballot? Will I be able to vote for those running from the civil City (a beauty from the Dept. of Redundancy Dept.), eg, Mr. Tuel?
RedDevilMC
Yes, you will be able to vote for all 3 seats. The boundaries only apply to where the candidate lives.
Roger Kaputnik
Thank you, RDMC! As always, we can count on you. By the way, I know you are busy busy busy, but have you checked you email lately?
RedDevilMC
Yes, I am in the process of consolidating them:

starks4council@yahoo.com
anelson3366@yahoo.com
starks-property@sbcglobal.com
anelson@emichigancity.com
anelson_citycouncil@yahoo.com

and 2 work emails. To make things a little easier on me use the ones highlighted in red. Sorry for the confusion.

Angie
Southsider2k12
http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=34289.57

Plenty of options in MCAS race

Deborah Sederberg
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - No one can accuse residents of disinterest in the race for Michigan City Area Schools board. Eleven hope to capture one of three seats.

Of the three districts up for grabs, the civil city seat has drawn the most interest, with Rick Carlson, Vidya Kora, Michele Nauyokas, Leslie W. Rowley and Greg Tuel running.

Carlson, who was first elected in 2004, is a painting contractor. An Indiana University graduate with a degree in music, he also gives music lessons and plays trumpet in the Tom Milo band. His reason for running is simple: "I love the work."

Carlson names poverty, unemployment, broken homes, lack of education and lack of educational resources as why too many children come to school with a disadvantage.

"Every problem we face is a lesser symptom of this greater cause," he said. "We need to connect children and their families with relevant education."

As for making MCAS facilities available for Park Department programs, he said, "Any community group meeting the requirements outlined in school policy is eligible for facility usage."

He declined to comment about the lack of progress on a teachers contract because it "isn't appropriate" for a school board to comment on ongoing negotiations.

Kora, an internist, practices at Franklin Clinic, which he founded. He is past president of the Indiana State Medical Association and past chairman of the Democratic party of La Porte County. He is finishing a second term as county coroner.

He said the biggest challenge facing MCAS is improving school performance. He wants to unite parents, students, teachers and administration and the community to solve this issue.

Kora said the first priority should be students and school activities, but "when the facilities are not being used for students, I believe it is OK for community organizations to use school facilities according to the guidelines in place. I would like to revisit those guidelines to see if they need some adjustments."

He said he's not familiar with specific issues in the teachers contract, but said, "I would make myself available to both parties to iron out the differences."

He added, "It would be premature for me to judge the superintendent's performance."

Michele Nauyokas is a retired teacher. She and her husband own The Cool Pepper, a business in New Buffalo, Mich.

The school corporation's biggest challenge is "the kids," Nauyokas said.

"Children are our future. If decisions were made that centered on what is best for students, our school system would be one of the best in the state," she said. "Our school system has totally lost its focus.

"I am concerned that the strategic plan will not deliver what it has pledged to do," she said. "It is time for the school board to step up to the challenge, focus on the kids."

In regard to the squabble between the park board and school corporation, Nauyokas said MCAS must sit down with the Park Board and hammer out the details of that contract, live up to it or mutually agree to changes.

As for the teachers' contract, she said, "Outside people do not belong in negotiations. The administration must sit down with the teachers and settle the contract."

As for the superintendent's performance, Nauyokas does not want the board to renew his contract, adding, "All of the school unions are screaming that they are not getting respect, communication and cooperation from Mr. Harding."

Leslie Rowley is an employee of the Metropolitan Correction District in Chicago. The father of two children, he says early communication is vital for MCAS. He knows of one situation in which a teacher failed to notify parents of their child's academic trouble until the student failed to hand in 16 assignments.

Often, he said, parents don't receive notice of events until it is too late to make plans to attend. Some parents, for example, need to give advance notice if they are going to need time off.

"Togetherness is crucial," he said, adding, parents, teachers, students, the administration, board members and the community need to work together for the success of students.

As for issues with the park department: "The schools must follow the contract and the rules."

Rowley believes an accord with teachers could be reached if the administration team will "talk about it with teachers and give the teachers what they need."

Rowley wants the superintendent to do more to encourage communication and believes the superintendent needs to spend more time in the schools.

"Overall," he said, "the superintendent is not doing a good job."

Gregory Tuel heads the math and science department and teaches at St. Paul Lutheran School. He has served in the Peace Corps, as a member and treasurer of the Social and Learning Institute for the Disadvantaged and as a committee member for Strategy 5 of the MCAS Strategic Plan. He is president of the Krueger Neighborhood Association, an engineer and a University of Notre Dame graduate.

"Our biggest challenge is also an enormous opportunity, to mobilize all of the talent and resources that we have in our community and to put them to use in order to have an effective school system," he said.

About the squabble with the park department, he said, "The MCAS/City contract should be renegotiated to allow the full use of those facilities while requiring the city to make an appropriate investment in maintenance and security."

On the teachers' contract, he said, "Resolving the contract comes first. Grievances should be settled quickly. Also, we should incorporate input from all of our staff members as we establish the budget and implement our strategic plan."

He had this to say about Harding: "Our administration has pushed through some important initiatives, but we can, and we must, do better in leading a cooperative effort to improve our schools, creating a culture of optimism, trust and respect throughout our school system, and communicating a clear vision of the path we are taking to our whole community."

q

Four candidates are running for the Coolspring/Pine townships seat.

Incumbent Nathaniel Gipson is seeking another term. He is retired as a community representative for NIPSCO. He also served several terms on the Michiana Resources board. He and his wife are the parents of two daughters.

He describes the biggest challenge as "providing the best educational opportunity to all students in a safe and positive environment with a major focus on ISTEP improvement and closing the educational gap between ethnic groups."

About the park department issue, he said the board must follow policy and procedure to make school facilities available to the park department and other community groups.

On the teachers' contract, he said, "It would not be appropriate to comment."

As for Harding's performance, Gipson said, "He's gotten us to think differently. I feel safe in saying we would not have either the early learning center or the strategic plan without Mr. Harding."

Challenger Eric Hanke regularly attends board meetings, often addressing the needs of Pine Elementary School. An information and technology professional, he has been a La Porte County resident for 34 years.

The biggest challenge facing the School Board is lack of cooperation among the board, the administration and the community.

"The School Board and administration need to get back to the basics of education and managing the school system," he said.

Regarding the disagreement with the park department, he said, "Setting policy in regard to facility access for public use is the responsibility of the board. Local community organizations need to be responsible with facility access requests and understand the financial repercussions of using a facility."

As for the teachers' contract, he said, "Our school administration needs to sit down with the MCEA and settle the contract in an equitable manner."

Hanke hopes the board will not renew the superintendent's contract.

"He does not communicate with the community or the union," he said of the superintendent. Hanke also believes Harding has hired too many administrators

Donald DuLaney holds a law degree and is a sworn deputy by the Cook County's Sheriff's Department, Chicago, where he has worked for 22 years. He is a Beverly Shores resident who has been involved in Michigan City Youth Sports and Michigan City Prep Basketball.

He believes the biggest challenge facing MCAS is "The lack of communication and cooperation with the greater community."

"I believe that school facilities belong to the taxpayers and community," he said of the dispute between the park board and School Board. "Therefore, school facilities should be made available to responsible community groups. These groups should provide reimbursement for associated costs, repairs of any damages, security and should provide proof of liability insurance."

As for the teachers' contract, he said, "I would ensure that continued interactions between the administration and MCEA are conducted with the utmost good faith and respect. If discussion and mediation fail to produce agreement, I would offer binding arbitration to the MCEA."

Of Harding's performance, he said, "I would have to say the district is not improving. We spend a lot of money, yet scores are not improving."

Coolspring/Pine challenger Lynea Sue Hinchman describes herself as a Michigan City businesswoman for 35 years.

"The children deserve a quality education," she said, noting people hesitate to live in the community when they lack confidence in local education.

She declined to answer questions submitted by The News-Dispatch.

q

Three candidates are running for the Michigan/Springfield townships seat.

Zeek, a former superintendent, serves as executive director of the Michigan City Urban Enterprise Association. He has been a volunteer executive director of the Michigan City Voyager program and served on the Michigan City Economic Development Corp., on the board of the Michigan City Housing Authority and as an Hours for Hours mentor.

The biggest challenge facing MCAS is improving student achievement, Zeek said. About the park board disagreement, "I support the use of school facilities by the Michigan City Park Department and other organizations which provide positive experiences for those involved. Additionally, these activities need to comply with school board policy and guidelines.

The MCAS board president, Zeek serves on the administration bargaining team with the Michigan City Education Association.

"I will continue to try to resolve these issues in a manner which not only will be beneficial to the MCEA," he said, "but also for our students and taxpayers of the community."

Zeek praised Harding for his knowledge of curriculum.

"I wouldn't take anything away from him academically," Zeek said, "but we need more."

William Greene is the former owner of Greene's BP Amoco. He is vice chair of the Michigan City Summer Festival Committee, a member of the Michigan City Exchange Club and Moose Lodge 980.

He says the biggest challenge facing the school corporation is leadership, which includes some members of the School Board, the superintendent and attorney.

"They do not deserve the honor we have bestowed on them to assist in the education of our children," he said.

He argues the superintendent believes the public is here to serve him rather than vice versa. That attitude is "evident by his lack of communication, disrespect to School Board members and failure to reside in the Michigan City school district."

Speaking to the differences with the park department, Greene says, "The school system has a contract signed by both parties and it has been working for years, so it's not broken. Why break it? Why go into court and spend taxpayer's money?"

Regarding the unresolved teachers contract, Greene said the board should order the superintendent to communicate and come to an agreement.

Greene does not believe the superintendent is doing a good job. After speaking with teachers, custodians and others who work for MCAS, Greene fees Harding does not communicate.

"We need to clean house and get rid of the attorney," he said, "because we need a local attorney."

Christopher La Follette is in construction management. He is a member of the Knights of Columbus and an associate member of the School Board Association.

Academic probation for some schools, including Michigan City High School, is the biggest challenge facing MCAS.

"Board members need to create a policy aligned with the strategic plan where everyone is accountable for elevating our schools from mediocre to great," he said. "Our policy must focus on creating intelligent, responsible and competitive young adults that enter the workforce or college."

Concerning the park department, he said, "I don't see any reason why the Park Department cannot use school facilities. I work with other school districts that let any organizations use school facilities as long as they met the requirements set by the school."

On the subject of the contract impasse, he advises the board to compare the contract to see if it is "a generally accepted contract in other school districts of the same complexity. If the requirements contained in the contract are unattainable, then change the requirements."

On Harding's performance, he said it is difficult to judge.

"I think he did a great job getting the strategic plan in place."

La Follette finds Harding to be a good communicator. As a candidate, he said, he has sent the superintendent e-mails and has talked with him on the telephone and spoken with him in person.

"He always returns my calls and answers my e-mails," he said.
Marram
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Oct 28 2008, 07:31 AM) *

Southsider, you had a thread on here where you listed your questions for School Board candidates. I can not find that one anymore. Can you tell me where it went? I like the idea of addressing them, maybe one at a time, on a thread like that.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Marram @ Oct 29 2008, 06:27 AM) *

Southsider, you had a thread on here where you listed your questions for School Board candidates. I can not find that one anymore. Can you tell me where it went? I like the idea of addressing them, maybe one at a time, on a thread like that.

They are still on the main page in the interviews thread... Feel free to answer them however you like, and I will be sure that you get your own thread for answers.

-How will you open up the decision-making process so the public can know in advance the questions coming up and have some time to comment before the vote is taken on the issue at hand?

-What is your position on social promotion?

-How important do you believe getting the teachers a new contract is?

-Will you vote to extend Michael Harding's contract when it comes up for vote again?

-Do you support the Strategic Plan

-Do you believe the size of the administration is too big or OK?

-Did you support the two new school building projects?

-How would you try to build bridges between the community and MCAS that have been burnt, for example the girls basketball academy.

-Do you believe no pass/no play should be extended to the middle and elementary schools?

-Have you researched the new bus routes being added, and do you support them?
JHeath
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Oct 28 2008, 08:31 AM) *

Christopher La Follette is in construction management. He is a member of the Knights of Columbus and an associate member of the School Board Association.

Academic probation for some schools, including Michigan City High School, is the biggest challenge facing MCAS.

"Board members need to create a policy aligned with the strategic plan where everyone is accountable for elevating our schools from mediocre to great," he said. "Our policy must focus on creating intelligent, responsible and competitive young adults that enter the workforce or college."

Concerning the park department, he said, "I don't see any reason why the Park Department cannot use school facilities. I work with other school districts that let any organizations use school facilities as long as they met the requirements set by the school."

On the subject of the contract impasse, he advises the board to compare the contract to see if it is "a generally accepted contract in other school districts of the same complexity. If the requirements contained in the contract are unattainable, then change the requirements."

On Harding's performance, he said it is difficult to judge.

"I think he did a great job getting the strategic plan in place."

La Follette finds Harding to be a good communicator. As a candidate, he said, he has sent the superintendent e-mails and has talked with him on the telephone and spoken with him in person.

"He always returns my calls and answers my e-mails," he said.

Anyone else pick up on this?
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(JHeath @ Oct 29 2008, 12:53 PM) *

Anyone else pick up on this?

Yes I did. That was part of what reconfirmed some of my suspicions on how I believe he would vote, since he did not respond to my survey questions as of yet.
Roger Kaputnik
I was concerned when I saw his name on the signs with Carlson and Gipson. You know how I feel about them. I saw that in the paper and figured that the Supt. probably has returned his calls, and someone returned emails. In his experience, Harding does communicate.

On another note, I do hope the folks who do not win seats on the board will continue to stay interested and active in local issues.

Yet one more thing: My thumbs-down meter was activated when I heard on WIMS that Oh, no!-berlie is Kora's campaign chairman.
Ang
Isn't that a conflict of interest?
Marram
How can we open up the discussion to the public, communicate the agenda?

First off, the agenda should be posted a week in advance in both the News-Dispatch and on the MCAS website. In fact, it could be sent to all local media via e-mail. Whether the local media decides to present it and how they present it would be up to them; so perhaps a more reliable method to encourage discussion and to inform the public in a timely manner would be to take a page from our City Council. There, ordinances are given a certain number of readings (3) before they are passed. Our School Board could do the same thing when it came to budget decisions, capital projects, or the hiring of administrators. We could probably make do with two readings for other action items. Most importantly, public comment should be permitted and encouraged while the items are being discussed during the meeting: not after the fact as a “fait accompli.”
Roger Kaputnik
You are speaking my language re having the discussion prior to a vote and publishing the agenda in advance.
Marram
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 31 2008, 09:48 AM) *

You are speaking my language re having the discussion prior to a vote and publishing the agenda in advance.

That's because I am using vowels. wink.gif (see "Speaking of Change thread)
eric.hanke
QUOTE(Marram @ Oct 31 2008, 06:42 AM) *

How can we open up the discussion to the public, communicate the agenda?

First off, the agenda should be posted a week in advance in both the News-Dispatch and on the MCAS website. In fact, it could be sent to all local media via e-mail. Whether the local media decides to present it and how they present it would be up to them; so perhaps a more reliable method to encourage discussion and to inform the public in a timely manner would be to take a page from our City Council. There, ordinances are given a certain number of readings (3) before they are passed. Our School Board could do the same thing when it came to budget decisions, capital projects, or the hiring of administrators. We could probably make do with two readings for other action items. Most importantly, public comment should be permitted and encouraged while the items are being discussed during the meeting: not after the fact as a “fait accompli.”

The MCAS agenda is typically posted on the MCAS website the Friday prior to the Board Meeting.

The information is difficult to find; the entire website is a jumbled mess if you ask me. Information needs to be easy to find and the website needs to look more like the website of a quality educational system and less like an advertising info-mercial for all the "free" stuff the system uses in an attempt to maintain an open source footprint.

Additionally, MCAS policy changes all require to be introduced at a previous meeting in accordance with the MCAS Administrative Bylaws, Guidelines, Policies, and Proeedures.

Below is an excerpt from the MCAS Administrative Bylaws, Guidelines, Policies, and Proeedures website maintained by NEOLA:

Bylaws and Policies

The School Board shall adopt bylaws and policies for the organization and operation of this Board and the Corporation.

The bylaws and policies may be adopted, amended, and repealed at any meeting of the Board, provided the proposed adoption, amendment, or repeal shall have been proposed at a previous Board meeting and, once proposed, shall have remained on the agenda of each succeeding Board meeting until approved or rejected except that the Board may upon a vote and where compelling reasons exist, cause to suspend at any time the operation of a bylaw or policy herein contained, provided the suspension does not conflict with law, and such suspension shall terminate at the next meeting of the Board or at such earlier time as is specified in the motion to suspend.

These bylaws and policies may be adopted or amended at a single meeting of the Board in an emergency. An emergency shall be defined for purposes of this rule as any situation or set of circumstances which the Board has reason to believe will close the schools or jeopardize the safety or welfare of the students or employees of the Corporation.

The Michigan City Area Schools Policies and Administrative Guidelines are available online at :

http://www.neola.com/michigancity-in/

I also agree that the public comment section of the agenda should be moved prior to the voting of policy to facilitate public input on issues before the board for action.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.