Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tuel Reveals Campaign Plan
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk > Election Headquarters
Marram
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TELEPHONE: 219-872-4350
CELL PHONE: 219-921-5555
EMAIL: greg@tuel.net
DATE: August 20, 2008

SCHOOL BOARD CANDIDATE REVEALS CAMPAIGN PLAN

Greg Tuel Announces Campaign Syllabus
Weekly Reports to be Forthcoming

Local activist Greg Tuel, candidate for the Civil City Seat of the Michigan City Area School Board and current President of the Krueger Neighborhood Association (KNA), has announced his “syllabus” for the upcoming campaign. The race for the School Board will be decided this November 4th during the General Elections. There are three seats being contested: the Civil City Seat, the Coolspring/Pine Township Seat, and the Springfield/Long Beach Township Seat. The following is the text of Tuel’s plan:

Back to School, Back to Work, Back to the Basics, and Back on Track

As we approach another school year, it is appropriate that I lay out my own syllabus for the upcoming School Board campaign: my plan to continue studying the issues and to report back to my constituents. I look forward to the challenges ahead: earning the opportunity to serve my community in this important position, and the work that we can do together to improve our schools.

Part of my campaign is centered on keeping the public informed about the issues and sharing the results of my research. This drive to get our schools back on track will require the participation and unity of the Michigan City community; and that means getting back to the basics: listening and communicating. I hope to be a part of a movement and a culture where information is not controlled but rather made readily available for debate. When ideas are debated in an open forum, and the best ones win out because of their merit, then we all win.

Over the next nine weeks, I plan to address at least one topic per week, including the following topics. This is a tentative list which will change based on the feedback that I receive.

• Setting high standards for leadership in our schools
• Bridging the gaps: learning gaps, communication gaps, cooperation gaps
• Service: devotion to our community with a sense of mission and urgency
• Setting priorities: recognizing the current economic hardships and protecting taxpayers from waste
• Empathy: as a teacher, long-time resident, and father
• Aiming high: improvement for both the struggling students and the high achievers
• Minority teacher representation: recruiting energetic role models
• Decisive leadership: to resolve disputes, to implement the strategic plan, and to move ahead.
• The Alternative School: for both the students who do not perform well in a traditional setting and those who are affected by it.

I look forward to the weeks ahead and the opportunity to represent the people of Michigan City. Please seek me out and help me better represent your interests. Or keep an eye out for me, because I will be visiting your neighborhood. Until then, Happy “Back to School” to our students, their parents, the teachers, and everyone who is striving to improve our schools and our community

Greg Tuel
Candidate, Civil City Seat
Michigan City School Board
Roger Kaputnik
My acquaintance is not running this time, but is preparing for the next election. In the meantime, you have my support.
Marram
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Aug 21 2008, 01:05 PM) *

My acquaintance is not running this time, but is preparing for the next election. In the meantime, you have my support.

Thank you, Roger. Any hints on who your friend might be?
Roger Kaputnik
No announcement, but was at the meeting.
Marram
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Aug 22 2008, 10:55 AM) *

No announcement, but was at the meeting.

That's a pretty good hint. I wonder if I sat next to him?
Ang
So what, was only like three people there? biggrin.gif
Marram
QUOTE(Ang @ Aug 22 2008, 04:35 PM) *

So what, was only like three people there? biggrin.gif

A few more than three, but probably only five inquiring about the Civil City Seat. So that narrows it down.
Marram
Friends:

The campaign for the School Board continues. Yes, my series of letters on “platform issues” will also be forthcoming: I am awaiting some information that I have requested from the school system, but whether I receive it or not I will be putting out another paper soon.

Also, I am having a spaghetti dinner fundraiser at Ryan’s Irish Pub next Saturday, September 13th from 4:00 to 6:00 pm. The cost is $8.00 per ticket with all proceeds going to the campaign. Please contact me for tickets if you are interested: your contribution would be a great encouragement and I would truly appreciate it.

Greg Tuel
Candidate, Civil City Seat
Michigan City School Board
Ang
http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=53202.49

Tuel a gentleman, dad, civic leader
It is not often that I meet someone so singularly dedicated to the future of our children that he would dedicate his life to improving the educational system in Michigan City. We are fortunate that that same individual is running for School Board Nov. 4, Mr. Greg Tuel.

Greg is a native of our city, having attended Elston High School, where he was the class president and valedictorian. He furthered his education in our state having graduated from Purdue University and my alma mater, the University of Notre Dame. After serving in the Peace Corps, he embarked on a successful career in the engineering field. He left his lucrative career in that field to raise his daughter after the death of his wife, Kelly. Currently, Greg is the head of the Math and Science Department at St. Paul Lutheran School.

Despite being a single father, Greg finds time to volunteer on countless boards and serve on numerous committees. I have known Greg for many years and I have found him to be a consummate gentleman, father and civic leader. What better way to ensure the future of our children than by electing someone who will be an outspoken positive presence on the School Board ... that person is Greg Tuel. He will make a difference in the lives of our children.

Andy Sperling

Michigan City

m4liberty
You got my vote!
JHeath
http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=38741.04

10/16/2008 11:00:00 AM
Tuel gets job done
Greg Tuel was one heck of a grappler. It was the late seventies and the high school wrestling program was demanding, to say the least. Greg wrestled in a class that emphasized brain power more than muscle power. He displayed the will, discipline and sheer tenacity it takes to be a winner.

That same "get the job done" attitude was displayed when the Krueger neighborhood was having canine problems and the city needed a plan of action to make its neighborhoods safe for our children. Greg Tuel went to the "mat" again and worked with the city council to codify an ordinance that provides the tools needed to maintain a safer environment for all of us.

Greg is ready, willing and extremely able to wrestle with the complicated issues that have prevailed within our schools system. As an educator, Greg knows firsthand what is needed to improve our schools and put Michigan City back in the winning circle again!

Jack Van Etten

Michigan City

Ang
QUOTE(m4liberty @ Oct 17 2008, 06:38 AM) *

You got my vote!

Welcome to the Board!
Yokas
QUOTE(Ang @ Oct 17 2008, 09:59 AM) *

Welcome to the Board!

Love that picture!!!
Roger Kaputnik
How do you think the forum went yesterday?
Ang
QUOTE(Yokas @ Oct 17 2008, 02:27 PM) *

Love that picture!!!

Thanks. Took that in my back yard on October 12th!
Yokas
QUOTE(Ang @ Oct 20 2008, 10:32 AM) *

Thanks. Took that in my back yard on October 12th!

That's your back yard!?! Lucky you!
Ang
QUOTE(Yokas @ Oct 20 2008, 10:56 AM) *

That's your back yard!?! Lucky you!

I don't think so! It's too early for snow! sad.gif

It's all melted away now, so it's not so bad, but we're expecting a Halloween blizzard.
Roger Kaputnik
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 20 2008, 10:11 AM) *
How do you think the forum went yesterday?

This is addressed to Mr. Tuel.
Marram
QUOTE(m4liberty @ Oct 17 2008, 07:38 AM) *

You got my vote!

I appreciate it, liberty.
Marram
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 20 2008, 12:07 PM) *

This is addressed to Mr. Tuel.

Since it was an event sponsored by the Neighborhood Coalition, and there was a good turnout, I think it went very well. We still need to get a larger audience to these things. It was hard to tell how many out there were neighbors and how many were candidates, but I know there were several from the neighborhoods since KNA had nine representatives. We still could easily bring in ten from each organization which would mean sixty or more activists. That is the vision.

As far as my personal performance, I certainly have done better. And worse.

From an objective standpoint, I think Mr. Dulaney did a great job. All of the School Board and Judge candidates who attended showed themselves to be passionate and sincere. On the School Board side, only Mr. Gibson failed to make an appearance, and all of the judges were there. The other candidates had only about 1 and 1/2 minutes, but they all put a serious effort into presenting themselves (and they had to wait about 2 and 1/2 hours to speak).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.