CBTL people,
I've printed my third press release for CBTL. I gave it to the ND yesterday. My first 2 press releases (for the ND) took 2+ weeks to get in the paper. I expressed my concerns; and I'm waiting to see if that makes a difference. Wanna take bets? Here goes for #3:

Michele Nauyokas, school board candidate and newly retired teacher, believes that "Children Are Our Future." Michigan City Area Schools (MCAS) seem to have lost their educational focus. In order to raise our student's ISTEP scores and help our students become life long learners, we must focus on the students and their individual needs.

The school system needs to correct itself and utilize Title 1 program funds for at-risk children who are failing to keep up academically. Originally, Title 1 was an elementary school program in the MCAS where Title 1 resource teachers served at-risk students. These resource teachers worked one-on-one with at-risk students. The purpose was to help these students read at their grade level. Raising student's reading levels, raised their ISTEP scores, helped to instill a desire for lifelong learning, and at a later time, to set career goals. Title 1 was a win-win for the MCAS and it was a very successful program.

Several years ago, the MCAS reallocated its Title 1 money. Most of their Title 1 monies funded the Early Learning Center. Although this center is good for our school system, and it's helping our pre-K students; there's nothing left for our current elementary students. Today, our at-risk students, in the elementary grades, are not getting the help they need to close the achievement gap.

The MCAS hasn't lived up to its responsibility to our at-risk students and their families. Without Title 1 programs at these levels, we cannot close the achievement gap or raise student scores. Nauyokas concludes, "As a school board member, I pledge to work to restore the Title 1 programs our students so desperately need."