http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../16/news/n5.txt

Fedder announces clerk candidacy

From Staff Reports

Michigan City Clerk Tom Fedder announced Thursday he plans to seek re-election to the seat he's held for 27 years.

“As a committed team, the city clerk's office works with the community and provides its services ethically and responsibly so that everyone can enjoy the benefits of living and working in Michigan City,” Fedder said in a release Thursday. “One of the first contacts the (residents) of Michigan City have within City Hall is the city clerk's office.”

Fedder touted accessibility of records, which can be viewed on the city's Web site, and said the city must be careful that the “well-intentioned solutions brought up today do not create unintended or even greater problems down the road.”

“I understand I don't have all the answers, but I do know this: It is through your questions that answers and even solutions from you arise,” he added. “That is the reason this office remains efficient.”

Johnny Stimley, owner of Stimley's Old Town Tavern, and businessman Mike Dempsey have announced they'll run against Fedder in May's Democratic primary election.

The city clerk's office is responsible for maintaining official city records, including meeting minutes, notices, ordinances, resolutions, contacts and other vital documents, Fedder said.

“There is so much that's great about Michigan City. So many great ideas and so much progress made,” Fedder said. “Yet, as is always the case, there is more to be done.”

Fedder said that if elected, his office will continue to maintain regular contact with Mayor Chuck Oberlie and all city council members, as well as keeping up on technical advancements.

“Michigan City (residents) are people of good will. As such, they demand goodwill from their elected leaders,” Fedder said.