Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Burgwald supports Zeek
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk > Election Headquarters
Ang
http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=18155

Zeek won't be green on board
In the not quite two years since I've been on the board of Michigan City Area Schools I've attempted to offer some initiatives to try to improve the present state of our school system. In those efforts I was fortunate to have had the unstinting support of at least two fellow board members, Jim Kintzele and Clyde Zeek.

Mr. Zeek is up for re-election this year and I believe he ought to be retained in that position. Let me explain why.

Mr. Zeek has shown he thinks for himself, independent of any special interests. He shares with me the pressing concern that most of our 10th grade students cannot read with comprehension. Like me, he feels a superintendent should live within the school district he serves - and for that reason, among others, he has consistently voted against extending the contract of the current superintendent. He has fought to reduce the growing number of school administrators, too. Further, he believes, as do I, that the board should exercise its statutory power to cut out unnecessary spending in the school budget instead of sending it on to the state without any reduction.

Mr. Zeek brings to our school board a wealth of experience in the field of education; he would not come to that board green(e). On Nov. 4, I'll be voting to re-elect Clyde Zeek. I would urge all others who have more than just a passing interest in the quality of our schools to join me in that vote.

Beryle Burgwald

Michigan City
Southsider2k12
Zeek would be a great candidate except for two things.

I don't like the way he has gone around the ban on public comments about negotiation with the teachers contract. The second is the incident over Coach Collins.

He has consistantly been a vote against waste in the school system, and Michael Harding in general. Out of the three incumbants, he is the one I would be the least upset if he won re-election. My worst fear is that he loses, while Carlson and Gipson win, making Hardings return a given with a 5-2 vote on the board.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.