Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: School Board Voters Forum Tonight!
City by the Lake.org, The Voice of Michigan City, Indiana > City by the lake > City Talk > Election Headquarters
edgeywood
The League of Women Voters of LaPorte County is sponsoring a forum for School Board candidates Thursday, Oct. 23, at 6:30PM. The forum will be held at City Hall, 100 East Michigan Blvd.

Next week, the League will host two more candidate forums at City Hall, also at 6:30:

October 29, 2008 County Candidates
October 30, 2008 Judicial and State Candidates

The League of Women Voters is a non-partisan organization dedicated to encouraging informed and active participation in government. The members of the League of Women Voters thank you for your interest in serving your community and look forward to your broadcast presence at the Forums!
eric.hanke
I will be in attendance.

Eric
Roger Kaputnik
Sooooooo, how did it go?
edgeywood
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 25 2008, 10:08 AM) *

Sooooooo, how did it go?

Well, there wasn't a huge turn out, but I think ALCO broadcast the event live.

It was enlightening for me, anyway. Harding's contract was a hot topic, the strike vote, the Alternative School, the Park Board flap...

Roger Kaputnik
Didn't WIMS record it?
eric.hanke
As a School Board Candidate I attended the League of Women Voters Candidate Forum.

I learned a few things.

I would say less than 30 were in attendance. That is including the actual candidates. I hope the forum was recorded and carried live by ALCO.

It's a shame that so many local citizens want change and we need change. But when given a choice they choose to sit at home and hope for change.

Neither of Don Dulaney's children attended MCAS schools. One of his sons actually attends Chesterton High School.

Rick Carlson, Clyde Zeek, and Nathaniel Gipson all strongly support the Superintendant.

Lynea Hinchman and Leslie Rowley did not make an appearance. Leslie had a name placard so I am assuming he RSVP'd. But I have yet to see Lynea at any of the candidate forums.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Oct 27 2008, 12:12 PM) *

As a School Board Candidate I attended the League of Women Voters Candidate Forum.

I learned a few things.

I would say less than 30 were in attendance. That is including the actual candidates. I hope the forum was recorded and carried live by ALCO.

It's a shame that so many local citizens want change and we need change. But when given a choice they choose to sit at home and hope for change.

Neither of Don Dulaney's children attended MCAS schools. One of his sons actually attends Chesterton High School.

Rick Carlson, Clyde Zeek, and Nathaniel Gipson all strongly support the Superintendant.

Lynea Hinchman and Leslie Rowley did not make an appearance. Leslie had a name placard so I am assuming he RSVP'd. But I have yet to see Lynea at any of the candidate forums.

What context was that in in regards to Zeek. He has seemed to be one of the consistant three to vote against Harding and spending whenever he got the chance.
Roger Kaputnik
I think Mr. Z has actually publicly committed to voting against any extension for Mr. Hardly.
JHeath
QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Oct 27 2008, 12:12 PM) *

I learned a few things.

Interesting. I wonder if it's attributal to voter apathy or more time constraints.

I know in my specific situation, finding the time to go to the forums (I've only made part of one this year) is tough. I've found the info posted on ALCO and the segments played back on WIMS to be very helpful, not to mention a lot more convenient.

I also think it would be interesting to see the statistics on how many folks accessed this info through ALCO. Just out of curiosity.
eric.hanke

It's been a busy weekend. But I think what Mr. Zeek committed to was voting against the extension so the new board could decide.

It's going to be interesting Tuesday to see how the Board handles the motion.

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 27 2008, 11:27 AM) *

I think Mr. Z has actually publicly committed to voting against any extension for Mr. Hardly.

Roger Kaputnik
My impression has been that Mr. Zeek specifically said he would vote against any extension of Mr. H.'s contract.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 27 2008, 12:46 PM) *

My impression has been that Mr. Zeek specifically said he would vote against any extension of Mr. H.'s contract.

He always has in the past.
Southsider2k12
QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Oct 27 2008, 12:49 PM) *

He always has in the past.

Here is the thread from the last time they voted publicly on an extention.

http://www.citybythelake.org/forums/index....pic=975&hl=
Roger Kaputnik
Attention, Mr. Harding: Resign, effective at the end of this year!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.